Carrara Challenge #50 - A Special Carrara Anniversary Celebration - WIP thread

Comments

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,964
    edited January 2020

Heres something else form me. I googled what happened 50 years ago and it came up with Apollo 13 mission. If you know the movie poster you can see the homage in the moon and the earth. I did this image with the idea of doing a lot of it in post.

The suit is from carrara objects folder - atrocious it is.  The helmet an M3 one available at Daz - heavily retextured. The cocpit is made from two vertex spheres bolleaned.

M4 stars as himself.

Most postwork with ron's brushes and some tone mapping in affinity pro. Used various render passes to isolate parts for post work. The moon and earth come with carrara.

Attached is also the non postworked image. You can see where there are no details (eg bottom part of suit) I got them back by using a diffuse  pass. (you can even see m4 poking through!)

before post work below

diffuse pass below

apollonopostw.jpg
    2000 x 1975 - 259K
    apollodiffusepass.jpg
    2000 x 1975 - 409K
    Post edited by Headwax on
  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125
    edited January 2020

Headwax - most excelent.  Thanks for posting the original and the updated.  Always learning, even if I learn slowly.  Great use of the moon etc that come with Carrara.

Dartanbeck - very cool atmospheric effects - always inspiring

Misty - so who drank the first 49 bottles off the wall?  Very clever concept.  

Here is another WIP for a spaceship scene. This is the beginning of a 2nd spaceship.  You might think that this one more closely resembles a sailing ship, and you would be correct - for now.  I looked up some privateers and other sailing ships.  Threw together a composite concept which I will be altering for a more space sci-fi look.  Two ships do not yet constitute a fleet.

wip for privateer.JPG
    1033 x 790 - 91K
    Post edited by Diomede on

Headwax - most excelent.  Thanks for posting the original and the updated.  Always learning, even if I learn slowly.  Great use of the moon etc that come with Carrara.

Dartanbeck - very cool atmospheric effects - always inspiring

Misty - so who drank the first 49 bottles off the wall?  Very clever concept.  

Here is another WIP for a spaceship scene. This is the beginning of a 2nd spaceship.  You might think that this one more closely resembles a sailing ship, and you would be correct - for now.  I looked up some privateers and other sailing ships.  Threw together a composite concept which I will be altering for a more space sci-fi look.  Two ships does not yet constitute a fleet.

• UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588

HW, thanks for the positive comment!  Your space scene is another one of those abstract-yet-whole scenes that you do so well.  Great use of older models.  And as is the norm, fantastic postwork.

Diomede, your space scene looks to be highly unusual. :)  Love the modeling so far.  I may soon have a few questions for you about setting up content on a new Ryzen, as mine is currently in the shop being built.  Talk about life-changing...and a bit scary.

• CbirdCbird Posts: 493

The power adapter of my laptop seems to have died (I'm hoping that's all it is). Neither Best Buy nor Staples seem to have a replacement. The hunt continues. My second entry is in jeopardy, lol.

Headwax, I love the way all the reflections or hints of them lead the eye around the whole image!

Diomede, I can imagine the ship in a glass Dyson sphere as a play on a ship in a bottle :)

edited January 2020

Thanks for the comments on my ship model, CBird and UB.

UB - very happy for you if you are upgrading soon.  One thing that helped me was my external backup drive.  I did fresh installs of my core programs on my new computer.  All of my own junk I transferred via my backup drive.  Frankly, I haven't actually done much yet with my new machine.  (Travel, holidays,...) but what I have has been a real joy.  My first entry in this challenge (the garden with the hairy thatched roof cottage and replicated plants) would have taken forever on my old machine.  Probably would not have bothered.  Anyway, can't wait to see how you decide to take advantage of extra speed, memory, etc.

edited January 2020

Thanks Diomede.  The long road of reinstalling hopefully begins Wednesday or Thursday.  I may not be posting renders for a while, as I am having them build the new machine in my old case, and the machine I'm currently typing on is a backup which is OK for web surfing and light office but that is about it.

Post edited by UnifiedBrain on
    edited January 2020

thanks for the comments on my work everyone - love where you are going with this diomede - always great to learn modelling room techniques and see where your imagination takes you

here's a play for the gartden section - this started as a rock pool .....

sorry a quickie post duty calls will explain later process 

like all my work its 4000 wide

ps good luck ub

Post edited by Headwax on
  • MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

saved the wildcard render for last.  soo many possibilities

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

and reminder, there a prize for funniest entry

edited January 2020

Oh, wow, Headwax.  Somehow I missed that post.  So cool.

I'm back on my old laptop today, so that means back to my Don Quixote project.  His hair, eyebrows, mustache and chin hair were all converted from dynamic hair to mesh using Philemo's plugin.  In terms of scene elements, I've added the saddle, blanket, bridle, and stirrups.  Oh, and the terrains are just simple vertex grids morphed with soft select.

Straight render and native toon.

Test Render PhotoReal 01.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 119K
    Test Render Toon 01.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 112K
    edited January 2020

Hmmm, noticed that the foreground shadows were missing from straight toon render.  But distant shadows seem in place.  Hmmmm??   Anyway, quick fix combining elements of toon and straight render to get the foreground shadow back.

Don Quixote combined toon at 60 percent to get shadow from straight.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 179K
  • StezzaStezza Posts: 7,988

very cool stuff ... by everyone, took a while to get through all the posts loving it all yes

• VyusurVyusur Posts: 2,235
    edited January 2020

Playing with "My Garden" theme

The updo made mostly in ZBrush

I made several NPRs just for fun.

2020-01-09_1344_001.png
    1156 x 1086 - 1M
    2020-01-09_1335.png
    1064 x 1220 - 1M
    2020-01-09_1343.png
    1044 x 1130 - 1M
    Garden04.jpg
    1500 x 1536 - 2M
    Garden_05.jpg
    1000 x 1000 - 2M
    Garden-07.jpg
    1000 x 1000 - 1M
    Garden008.jpg
    1000 x 1000 - 2M
    Garden-09.jpg
    1000 x 1000 - 1M
    Post edited by Vyusur on
  • DUDUDUDU Posts: 1,945

WOW!!!

Vyusur said:

Playing with "My Garden" theme

The updo made mostly in ZBrush

I made several NPRs just for fun.

Awesome image, Vyusur!  Hoping you would make an appearance.

There are three categories in this Challenge.  The first is the garden category, which requires using Carrara native tools and/or content to make plants.  You mentioned using ZBrush.  Did you make the flowers in Carrara?  If not, your entry will automatically be entered under catregory 3, Wild Card.  No big deal, just wanted to clarify.

Hope you have time for more entries.yes

edited January 2020

Thank you, UB, for your kind words! I beg my pardon for my mistake. I made some additions to my image so that I could leave my picture in the first category. I added Carrara's vertex spheres as earrings in the scene and grew them with Anything Grows. I also applied a procedural shader from native content browser to them. In this particular case, plant editor didn't meet my needs. I hope this changes will be enough to match the category.

2020-01-10_1304.png
    1083 x 1087 - 2M
    2020-01-10_1303.png
    1062 x 979 - 1M
    Post edited by Vyusur on

Veronika, I must repeat Dudu.  Wow!

Dudu, Ted, thank you guys!

Beautiful, Vyusur, and such a versatile updo, too! I can easily imagine holly berries and leaves for winter, or mistletoe berries looking like pearls.

edited January 2020

Not and Entry

Just couldn't resist a little humor.  I want that haircut!!!!!

NAE shave and a haircut two bits.jpg
    1600 x 1200 - 199K
    Vyusur said:

Thank you, UB, for your kind words! I beg my pardon for my mistake. I made some additions to my image so that I could leave my picture in the first category. I added Carrara's vertex spheres as earrings in the scene and grew them with Anything Grows. I also applied a procedural shader from native content browser to them. In this particular case, plant editor didn't meet my needs. I hope this changes will be enough to match the category.

Your additions are excellent.

However, the rules for the first category are relatively clear:  "plants and terrain must be created using a Carrara function, and not imported from a premade product or other source outside of Carrara ("basic plants" and "basic leaves" premade content within Carrara is OK to use).  Shaders from any source are also OK."

Category 1 is a throwback to the earliest Challanges, where specific rules were in place to "encourage" artists to explore parts of Carrara that were unfamiliar to them.  I imagine that an artist with your experience - certainly greater than mine - doesn't need such "encouragements."  However, a rule is a rule.  The majority of your plants in the image are (I assume) not made in Carrara.  So, there is no real workaround to get your image into Category 1 unless you model the plants again in Carrara (which I don't expect you to do).

Of course, there are two other categories!  Your image already qualifies for Category 3, Wild Card.  And if you add some reference (however obscure) to "50," it will also qualify for Category 2.

I hope that you can work with me here.  I am not fond of being the bad guy.  Love the image, and I want to see it included.

Diomede said:

Not and Entry

Genius.

Diomede said:

Not and Entry

At least they didn't haul out the pruning sheers! 

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,037
    edited January 2020
    Cbird said:
    Diomede said:

Not and Entry

At least they didn't haul out the pruning sheers! 

remind me of Broccoli people

who no doubt are related to the Cauliflower people and interbreed much

but not the Brussel Sprout people 

(not that they don't try devil just sterile offspring)

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
    Cbird said:
    Diomede said:

remind me of Broccoli people

who no doubt are related to the Cauliflower people and interbreed much

but not the Brussel Sprout people 

(not that they don't try devil just sterile offspring)

I like it when the Brussel Sprout people hang out with the Bacon people!

Cbird said:

Beautiful, Vyusur, and such a versatile updo, too! I can easily imagine holly berries and leaves for winter, or mistletoe berries looking like pearls.

Cbird, thank you ever so much! Maybe I will complete this updo as a product.

Vyusur said:

Your additions are excellent.

However, the rules for the first category are relatively clear:  "plants and terrain must be created using a Carrara function, and not imported from a premade product or other source outside of Carrara ("basic plants" and "basic leaves" premade content within Carrara is OK to use).  Shaders from any source are also OK."

Category 1 is a throwback to the earliest Challanges, where specific rules were in place to "encourage" artists to explore parts of Carrara that were unfamiliar to them.  I imagine that an artist with your experience - certainly greater than mine - doesn't need such "encouragements."  However, a rule is a rule.  The majority of your plants in the image are (I assume) not made in Carrara.  So, there is no real workaround to get your image into Category 1 unless you model the plants again in Carrara (which I don't expect you to do).

Of course, there are two other categories!  Your image already qualifies for Category 3, Wild Card.  And if you add some reference (however obscure) to "50," it will also qualify for Category 2.

I hope that you can work with me here.  I am not fond of being the bad guy.  Love the image, and I want to see it included.

Well, if so, I will just rename it somehow. I'll think about it.

Diomede said:

Not and Entry

Nice and brilliant! I like your broccoli man.

Ha ha Ted, The Don has never looked so good. LOve the whole reference to the story - out of interest, there is a great pencil preset I found in the included files that come wth carrara - it's in the head section - go to scenes then misc - it says head pencil.

Thanks for commenting on my work too.

Veronika, that's a teriific piece. Very professional.