Carrara Challenge #50 - A Special Carrara Anniversary Celebration - WIP thread

Comments

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125
    edited December 2019

Got it.  Just asking.

Toon Don Quixote has a steed (mesh).  Details in my "No One Asked Me" thread.  Horse still needs a morph to look better, and hair for a mane and the tail, and rigging.  

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/5192386/#Comment_5192386

don quixote.jpg
    995 x 877 - 111K
    Post edited by Diomede on
    edited December 2019

Toon!  Don 

and use hair conversion plugin

I still have to finish the horse, but the mane conversion is the same as Don's hair so I am posting this now.

Strand based hair does not do well in Carrara's native Toon! scene filter.  A solution I like is Philemo's plugin to convert strand based hair to polygonal mesh.  Download and copy the plugin to your extensions folder.  Once the plugin is installed, you can select a strandbased hair in your scene and create mesh copy in the scene.

- Preparation - adjust the density of the hair by entering the hair modeler and reducing the display percentage.  (Can also adjust hair style with shaders and plugin will use it).

- The plugin is found under the menu EDIT  : PHILEMO  :  CONVERT HAIR TO POLYGONS    (or use control shift c)

- Menu to adjust width and other attributes of conversion

- Turn off visibility of the strand based hair so only mesh copy shows

- May want to adjust Toon! line settings 

Don on Horse display percentage copy b.jpg
    1916 x 999 - 167K
    Don on horse philemo hair converter.jpg
    1882 x 940 - 381K
    Don on horse Philemo menu.jpg
    1547 x 777 - 296K
    Don on Horse WIP.jpg
    1600 x 1200 - 65K
    zip
    zip
    Windmill Group.zip
  • Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 8,334
    Diomede said:

Toon!  Don 

and use hair conversion plugin

I still have to finish the horse, but the mane conversion is the same as Don's hair so I am posting this now.

Strand based hair does not do well in Carrara's native Toon! scene filter.  A solution I like is Philemo's plugin to convert strand based hair to polygonal mesh.  Download and copy the plugin to your extensions folder.  Once the plugin is installed, you can select a strandbased hair in your scene and create mesh copy in the scene.

- Preparation - adjust the density of the hair by entering the hair modeler and reducing the display percentage.  (Can also adjust hair style with shaders and plugin will use it).

- The plugin is found under the menu EDIT  : PHILEMO  :  CONVERT HAIR TO POLYGONS    (or use control shift c)

- Menu to adjust width and other attributes of conversion

- Turn off visibility of the strand based hair so only mesh copy shows

Excellent progress !!!

• DesertDudeDesertDude Posts: 1,235
    edited December 2019
    I'm way behind...will comment later, just got back home today to 2 pissy kitties... *Now* I'm free for a few weeks, was visiting Mom back in California with no access to Carrara, but had many ideas and researched interesting concepts I want to try in our beloved software. Edits: typing from my stupid phone and forum doesn't like my emoji things. :(
    Post edited by DesertDude on
  • DesertDudeDesertDude Posts: 1,235
    And just looked, final entry dates TBA, yay! I have time left
  • HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,964

wowza Ted, that steed looks like it will fill his needs beautifully

Desertdude - looking forward to seeing what you come up with :)

edited December 2019

here's a silmilar scene to last but using fenric's ivy plugin 

wip first (in thumbnails)  then worked up with various software

rootsbes2withivywip.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 3M
    rootsbes2withivy.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 4M
    Post edited by Headwax on
  • DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,323
    Diomede said:

Dart - excellent point about shading domains.  I would often use that method myself.  I should have stated what the problem was.  My Don figure has hair.  For some reason, when I created the new shading domain, his hairstyle got all funky.  Painting an opacity mask allowed me to isolate part of the shin and foot without messing up the hair.

yeswink

• Cbird said:

Eventually I just got to enjoy monkeying around with the various settings - clinging to many of my favorites - like trunk width vs height, etc., and then digging into the crazy advanced settings with curves and tapers and whatnot... it gets fun!

Speaking of trunk width vs height - is there a way to makes trunks even bigger?  I want a huge trunk.  The slider is set to 5, and that is the max.

You might have to convert to Vertex modeler and enlarge it further. Tree size combined with trunk controls can result in incredibly large trees, however. We can also make branches smaller if need be. It would be nice if we had a few more sliders for the trunk for adding bumps and bulges. 

Thanks for the suggestion.  I converted it to vertex, but only the trunk is converted.  However, that was all I needed.

I agree about adding some sliders to make things more gnarly.  Do plug-in creators have access to the plant controls?

• Diomede said:

Looking fantastic there, Diomede! 

• And just looked, final entry dates TBA, yay! I have time left

Plenty of time.  Hopefully, artists can tackle somthing more complex than normal for this Challenge without feeling rushed.  Of course, I'm just guessing about this as hardly anyone has posted WIP's so far. :)

• Headwax said:

Thanks for posting before and after.  Wow, that after image has some awesome texturing!

• i think those are all carrara native content objects

with replicators

botanical garden

botanical garden1.png
    1280 x 960 - 1M
    Diomede said:

Dart - excellent point about shading domains.  I would often use that method myself.  I should have stated what the problem was.  My Don figure has hair.  For some reason, when I created the new shading domain, his hairstyle got all funky.  Painting an opacity mask allowed me to isolate part of the shin and foot without messing up the hair.

I don't need to worry about such things. Rosie and I keep our hair attached to low-poly caps (any ol' mesh will do) and store the latest versions (and some backups of older versions) conveniently located in our browsers.

Here we can see that, even though I've started Rosie 5 from scratch since I built my new computer, I still have a catalog of items well under way - and this is just Rosie's 'standard basics' stuff in this section. To nthe left of the browser we can see that she has several other categories growing, and some that have yet to be made.

Since I still feel the need to tweak on her here and there, I found it important to be able to save version of hair that can be loaded on a whim. The new Rosie 5 also has a Point Force built into her that gently increases the forces of gravity the closer we get to the ground, helping to stabilizer her hair in a more realistic fashion. I'm dying to get these renders finished so I can show off how nicely it behaves in animations! ;)

Cbird said:

Eventually I just got to enjoy monkeying around with the various settings - clinging to many of my favorites - like trunk width vs height, etc., and then digging into the crazy advanced settings with curves and tapers and whatnot... it gets fun!

Speaking of trunk width vs height - is there a way to makes trunks even bigger?  I want a huge trunk.  The slider is set to 5, and that is the max.

You might have to convert to Vertex modeler and enlarge it further. Tree size combined with trunk controls can result in incredibly large trees, however. We can also make branches smaller if need be. It would be nice if we had a few more sliders for the trunk for adding bumps and bulges. 

Thanks for the suggestion.  I converted it to vertex, but only the trunk is converted.  However, that was all I needed.

I agree about adding some sliders to make things more gnarly.  Do plug-in creators have access to the plant controls?

There's an option (before converting) in the Plant modeler to use the entire mesh with leaves.

@Diomede Holy Cow! That converted hair looks So Awesome!!! Bravo! I also love the nice tutorial on using it! :)

Headwax said:

Wow! Both prints are absolutely gorgeous! So I put the other one in this quote, so we see them both at 800 x 600

@Diomede Holy Cow! That converted hair looks So Awesome!!! Bravo! I also love the nice tutorial on using it! :)

I love that horse, and especially how he was created! If you folks haven't seen his process in his thread yet, you should really check it out. He's such a great teacher at all of this modeling stuff! :)

edited December 2019

thanks Dart et UB :)

really interesting the methods for buidling the horse and making the hair!

here's something for catageroy three - uses hair and replicators - it's a wip as I am searching for ways to make the island look big (will add little people maybe)

the objects were made with an amazing plugin (supershapes)  linked to in the freebies section!  https://drajmarsh.bitbucket.io/supershapes.html

I also tweaked one of Dart's Badland's shaders - thanks for leading the way Dart

here is the full composition

one showing a closeup of the hairs

and the unadulterated one

supershapeisland.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 2M
    Untitled-1.jpg
    2000 x 1277 - 2M
    supershapeislanprpost.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 2M
    Post edited by Headwax on

Wow! I love that!!!

edited December 2019

Rosie 5 at 50 mph!

I started by grouping her with the bike, and flinging them through the sky above Xion City. She flew right past the render camera, where I exposed the render to six frame motion blur. It didn't put a whole lot of blur onto her or the bike itself, but the spinning wheels turned out just right. 

In Howler I made a wavy selection behind, and then up to her from behind, and ran some radial motion blur to create that fast motion look. Turned out kinda cool, I think. I'm excited to see what kinda stuff I'll get her into with this bike!

R5_at_50mph.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 624K
    Post edited by Dartanbeck on
  • CbirdCbird Posts: 493

Diomede, I really need to study that horse. Very cool!

Headwax, love the island. For me it has a Mysterious Island feel to it. I could imagine this as a book illustration.

Appreciate the blur tips, Dart.

I'm still wandering around in the plant room. (Is it a room?). For the distant back of my Wintry Garden I wanted a windswept white pine. I'm sort of happy with this. The best way to get the long branches leaning off to one side seems to be turning off symmetry and setting phyllotaxy angle to zero or 360. I wish we had more control over achieving asymmetry. I'd like a few much short branches on the opposite side, but as soon as I change the angle to get a few branches opposite, I can't make them significantly shorter. For the back of the scene, this is useable, but if anyone has tried this type of tree before I'd like to see what you did.

Varley's Stormy Weather is ingrained in the Canadian psyche, I think, lol:

https://www.gallery.ca/collection/artwork/stormy-weather-georgian-bay-0

white Pine example.jpg
    640 x 480 - 30K
    WhitePineSettings.png
    1920 x 1080 - 238K
    Headwax said:

thanks Dart et UB :)

really interesting the methods for buidling the horse and making the hair!

here's something for catageroy three - uses hair and replicators - it's a wip as I am searching for ways to make the island look big (will add little people maybe)

the objects were made with an amazing plugin (supershapes)  linked to in the freebies section!  https://drajmarsh.bitbucket.io/supershapes.html

I also tweaked one of Dart's Badland's shaders - thanks for leading the way Dart

here is the full composition

one showing a closeup of the hairs

and the unadulterated one

Superb !!

Rosie 5 at 50 mph!

I started by grouping her with the bike, and flinging them through the sky above Xion City. She flew right past the render camera, where I exposed the render to six frame motion blur. It didn't put a whole lot of blur onto her or the bike itself, but the spinning wheels turned out just right. 

In Howler I made a wavy selection behind, and then up to her from behind, and ran some radial motion blur to create that fast motion look. Turned out kinda cool, I think. I'm excited to see what kinda stuff I'll get her into with this bike!

Where's her Motocross Safety Gear ?

Cbird said:

Headwax, love the island. For me it has a Mysterious Island feel to it. I could imagine this as a book illustration.

I'm still wandering around in the plant room. (Is it a room?). For the distant back of my Wintry Garden I wanted a windswept white pine. I'm sort of happy with this. The best way to get the long branches leaning off to one side seems to be turning off symmetry and setting phyllotaxy angle to zero or 360. I wish we had more control over achieving asymmetry. I'd like a few much short branches on the opposite side, but as soon as I change the angle to get a few branches opposite, I can't make them significantly shorter. For the back of the scene, this is useable, but if anyone has tried this type of tree before I'd like to see what you did.

Looking good !!!

• Cbird said:

you could use a separate leaf that has a branch included I guess replicated

edited December 2019

Thank you for the kind words on Don's toon horse, Dartanbeck, UB, CBird, Bunyip and Headwax.  I've made a little more progress, but most of my time has been spent on my entries for Its Raining Men.  There is a Carrara category, so I hope even more of y'all enter.  The entries I've seen by Stezza, Dart, Bunyip, and UB are excellent.  Hope I didn't miss anyone.  Nice to get exposure outside the Carrara forum. 

This version of the horse has better skull / eyes / ears, I hope.  I've also started on the hair (mane, tuft, and tail).  I will post the details in my thread for those who are interested.

- DesertDude - hope your CA visit was refreshing.  Can't wait to see your ideas.

- Headwax - beautiful island and very impressive use of the ivy plugin for the stream.  I wonder if I have that one installed.  I "unplugged" quite a few because something is interfering with the HD one on my machine.

- Dart - Rosie Knevil!!!!  I'm so jealous of your Howler skills.  I just haven't had as much success with it.  Too many softwares to learn.

- CBird - interesting tree issue.  I've never tried changing the scale of just one side.  Maybe the branches menu in the experts area?  Or, if you can handle the poly count, maybe convert to an obj and edit in the vertex modeler?

Test render of current horse WIP using Carrara's Toon! filter.

uu horse toon render.jpg
    640 x 480 - 17K
  • CbirdCbird Posts: 493

Thank you for the suggestions Wendy and Diomede. What would be very handy would be a pruning function that worked like the cut tool in the hair room. Image the possibilities, lol!

• Cbird said:

There's an option (before converting) in the Plant modeler to use the entire mesh with leaves.

I looked there, and ticked the boxes that looked like they would do the job.  It crashed Carrara.  Tried it again, same result. :(

But just getting the trunk converted was all I needed anyway.

• Rosie 5 at 50 mph!

This looks great!  Are you entering this?