Carrara Challenge #50 - A Special Carrara Anniversary Celebration - WIP thread

Comments

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,988
    Varsel said:

Sorry UnifiedBrain. Guess I hadn't read the rules good enough.

So here is take 2. All built in Carrara. Trees and shrubs are all created from scratch in the Plant Editor.

I like this ... so much awesome stuff... how did you do the hedge?

I tried a few weeks ago to make one in the tree room and gave up and so just modeled a cube and textured it lol

it's going to be tuff when it comes to voting which is a great thing yes

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,323
    Vyusur said:

Nephead

Not an entry but would be my garden

head modelled in Carrara

leaf modelled in Carrara

but pitcher was zremeshed in Zbrush

just felt like sharing so Ted's broccoli head and Vyuser's pretty head knew there are some coiffed friends who like to catch bugs in their hair too cheeky

and I could not resist playing devil

Cool! It's very pleasant to have friends.

yes +1!!!

• UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588

I just modified the category 1 rule  - again.  I noticed that there was talk of using Anything Grows and Philmo's Blimp plugin for making plants.  I've never used either, so chalk up this lapse in my thinking to inexperience.  Yes, it seems reasonable to be able to use actual Carrara plugins to make plants.  I've amended the rule to read as follows:

"Plants and terrains in category 1 must be created by the artist using a Carrara function or plugin, or at least be created using native Carrara items from "basic plants," basic leaves," or other such specific content that came with the program."

I hope this opens a few more doors for everyone. It probably will for me. :)

FENgari said:

NOT AN ENTRY

Just a bit of fun using a particle emittor to create great looking flashes of light from a 'supposedly' highly reflective surface. It's part of an animation - but I don't use YouTube anymore or have any spare space on the channel I used to upload animated gifs - so you can't see it...

The particles are emitted by the '50' facing the camera and rendered separately. This is then used as an alpha map for a plane that sits in front of the camera through which the rest of the scene is viewed. It's a simple work around because Carrara doesn't have 'layers' and I don't know how easy a plug-in could do this???

So slick Selina!  I've never used particles, so it is great to see what is possible.

Looks great.yes

• VyusurVyusur Posts: 2,235
    Vyusur said:

Playing with "My Garden" theme

The updo made mostly in ZBrush

I made several NPRs just for fun.

how awesome is this... very well rooted indeed.. great stuff @vyusur yes

Dave, thank you so much for your nice comment!

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 8,334

Very cool, Bunyip!  Nice use of 50, and the background really grabs you.

Terrific Spock and great sentiment. yes

+1! 

...and another +1 for good measure!

Thanks !

Cbird said:

Great tribute, Bunyip! The eyebrows are perfect!!

Thanks - had to do a bit of post-work on those brows !

Nephead

Not an entry but would be my garden

head modelled in Carrara

leaf modelled in Carrara

but pitcher was zremeshed in Zbrush

just felt like sharing so Ted's broccoli head and Vyuser's pretty head knew there are some coiffed friends who like to catch bugs in their hair too cheeky

and I could not resist playing devil

Psychedelic !!!!

FENgari said:

NOT AN ENTRY

Just a bit of fun using a particle emittor to create great looking flashes of light from a 'supposedly' highly reflective surface. It's part of an animation - but I don't use YouTube anymore or have any spare space on the channel I used to upload animated gifs - so you can't see it...

The particles are emitted by the '50' facing the camera and rendered separately. This is then used as an alpha map for a plane that sits in front of the camera through which the rest of the scene is viewed. It's a simple work around because Carrara doesn't have 'layers' and I don't know how easy a plug-in could do this???

So slick Selina!  I've never used particles, so it is great to see what is possible.

Looks great.yes

+1 yes

• Thanks for all who commented on the 'Flashy' Fifty... (click image to go to original post)

Here's a different method that doesn't require rendering a mask layer, but uses a duplicate invisible layer to hold the particles in the right place...

..and you can download the .car file along with a simple spreadsheet calculator to create your own - simples!

zip
    zip
    Glamour.zip
  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125

Thank you!  Very cool.

Many thank-you's !!!

edited January 2020

Substitution?

Had an idea this morning.  Thought I would render Carrara, as used by me.  Went through some of my old entries.  Missing Cripeman.  Kapow.  broken heart

If I finish this, have to decide which project to substitute.  Will probably replace either the space battle I am working on or the cake pinup.  

WIP kapow 50.jpg
    1600 x 1200 - 146K
    wip kapow setup.JPG
    1590 x 851 - 187K
    Post edited by Diomede on

@Diomede Cool Concept!

@FENgari That's really cool! And thanks for sharing!

• VarselVarsel Posts: 574

To create a hedge.

Created a basic tree-shape in the Plant Modeller.

Created a leaf in the Vertex Modeller. And then saved it in the Objects Browser.

In the Plant Modeller, I loaded the leaf model.  Because the hedge plant is supposed to be rather low, I made sure the Leaf Size was rather large, and the Leaves Quantity was rather low.

I then converted the plant into a Vertex Modeller object. (And saved it in my Objects Browser for later use...)

The Hedge it is just a shape created in the Vertex Modeller (that is made invissible), that follows the terrain, and then a Surface Replicator to populate the Hedge.

Untitled-2.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 833K

Very cool! I usually just draw out a shape onto the terrain and give it a new domain. The original shader will still work the same, since I don't change the UVs, but the domain can be used in the surf rep! 

But the way you do it here is better for more control over things! Very Cool!

Diomede said:

Substitution?

Had an idea this morning.  Thought I would render Carrara, as used by me.  Went through some of my old entries.  Missing Cripeman.  Kapow.  broken heart

If I finish this, have to decide which project to substitute.  Will probably replace either the space battle I am working on or the cake pinup.  

Very nice !!

• Persona Non GrataPersona Non Grata Posts: 1,365
    edited January 2020

Over at the other thread so far I like:

1 - A Golden Challenge - Unified Brain - nice image, reminds me of someone I used to know
    2 - First Garden Gift - Diomede (Ted Murphy) - I think I could live here
    10 - Burn, Burn, Burn - Stezza - terribly poignant given what's been happening 'down under.'

Post edited by Persona Non Grata on
    edited January 2020

..and there's more

15 - Janna Sprite - Vyusur - beautiful work!
    16 - 1950 Studebaker - Bunyip02 - Very 50s or am I mistaken?
    19 - Hobbit Home - Varsel - The tranquil Shire, let's hope Gandalft doesn't show up anytime soon to spoil it!

edited January 2020

..not forgetting

20 - The Gate - Headwax - a delightful image full of detail to explore.

Selina, thanks for the file and the comments. 

Varsel, thanks for the hedge tips.

Diomede, nice start on the Carrara computer!

edited January 2020

Zero Hour

This render is about the WW II US Army nurses at Corregidor island in April, 1942.  The conditions were horrific.  When US/Fillipino forces there were nearly overwhelmed by the Japanese, some nurses were given the opportunity to evacuate to safety.  But they refused, preferring to stay and treat the thousands of wounded soldiers.  A month later, the Allies on Corregidor surrendered.  The nurses were imprisoned for almost 3 years, where they continued to treat the sick and wounded.  The photo below shows them shortly after liberation.

I started this render as an experiment for achieving realistic skin tones in Carrara, and it expanded from there.  The characters, from left to right, are V3, V5, and V4.  I used standard skin maps.  V4, for example, is Amy Elite.  The hair is Librarian Pinup Updo, Zach, Riccardi, and Violet (the scarf).

There were three phases.  Phase one was rendering the sky, planes (Japanese Zeros), and prop spin.  Phase two was adding terrain.  Phase 1 and 2 were then combined into a separate background and it was added to a plane primitive in phase three.  Phase 3 was the addition of the characters.

Carrara processes include Realistic Sky, Clouds, Spin modifier (the propellers), Text (US pins and sig), Terrain, Plants, and Depth of field.

Carrara plugins were GMIC (Color controls) and Philemo's Cutouts and Blimps (palm trees and Caduceus pins).

No postwork.

Zero Hour.png
    1800 x 1138 - 3M
    US Army nurses freed after 3 years.JPG
    1024 x 830 - 201K
    Zero Hour Carrara setup.PNG
    1648 x 976 - 3M
    Post edited by UnifiedBrain on
    edited January 2020

I recreated all the flowers and leaves in Carrara so that my picture matches the category Garden. The base of the updo can qualify as hair. I also recorded a video on flower modeling:

Post edited by Vyusur on

Vyusur, I sent you a PM.

Awesome video!

Veronika, thank you so much for another modeling video.  Excellent.  The last song seems like a familiar ragtime piece.  yesyes

UB - really cool tribute to the nurses, and excellent render.  And I always appreciate some history.

Thank you, Dart, Bunyip, Selina, and UB for the kind comments on my efforts.

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,964

terrific vid thanks Veronika!

Fengari - wonderful to see you back - your work sparkles - you and Vyusur put the rest of us to shame.

UB that is one powerful render = amazed but what you can squeeze out with no postwork

Varesl - thanks for that mini tut - great to make a maze with

Ted _ Kapow back!! Your humour knows no bounds :) 

Selina, thank you so much for you nice comment!
    UB, Ted, Andrew, thank you guys for your kind words!

Kudos to Vyusur.  She just redid her flower hair image in Carrara, to fit the garden category rules.  Above and beyond the call.

Diomede and HW, thanks for the comments on my nurses render.

I have been drawn to try more realism in the human figure lately.  I don't think that it is popular here, except maybe to Magaremoto. :)  Then again, I'm still a long way from achieving realism.  I've made some strides in figuring out how to render skin, but getting all the elements correct, especially lighting and hair, is a difficult challenge.  So far, all I can approach is a kind of "exaggerated realism."

How do you add a leaf to the leaf folder?  Whenever I try to load one from the instances tray, it says "An I/O error ocurred while executing."