Carrara Challenge #50 - A Special Carrara Anniversary Celebration - WIP thread

Comments

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
    Bunyip02 said:
    Diomede said:

Simple wildcard entry.

scene setup

Great use of modelling skills, and great tribute to Cripeman !

kapow 

• Mystarra said:

WIP Snow Garden

hung my snowflake on tree as leaves.
    it wouldn't let me tweak the 2 shading domains on it.

Delicious lens flares, very yummy!

• DesertDudeDesertDude Posts: 1,235
    edited January 2020

Here is a very, very late WIP. Hope to finish by midnight, lots of things to fix and some post work. Agh, a lot to fix...smiley

Concept is "Over the Hill" - here it means turning 50 years old.

Recycled fuzzy monster from "retro" challenge, but I changed up his color a bit. Polygon grass from another challenge. Flowers are very, very old, modeled in another software long ago...

More to follow

wip_001.jpg
    1269 x 1029 - 196K
    Post edited by DesertDude on
    edited January 2020

WIP render...agh so much to do, lol

wip_render_001.jpg
    1600 x 1000 - 228K
  • UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588

Thanks for the efforts!  Stay focused, but relax DD.  I won't stop entries until after I get up tomorrow. :)

• AlbertoAlberto Posts: 1,411

I don't want to pass this challenge.

I created a forest scene for category 1.

First, I used Vyusur's Leon figure in a Fluidos II smoke simulation. Leon is the source of the smoke. I added a directional force to push the smoke backwards (where a sink will extract the particles).

This is the result of the simulation (the 24th frame)

I used a scene I created years ago (but unpublished until now).

The forest was created with surface replicators (using Howie Farkes' arboretum trees). The replicators uses distribution maps.

The terrain was created with the Carrara's terrains tool. 

And the background is a Reallistic Sky one, with a directional light as moon's light. There are four more directional lights and an Dome AreaLightX, plus a BulbLightX with quadratic falloff rate inside the smoke.

Thanks for the efforts!  Stay focused, but relax DD.  I won't stop entries until after I get up tomorrow. :)

Thank you!

Alberto said:

Thank you!

x100 thank you smiley

edited January 2020

Why You Should Never Build a Resort on Sacred Ground

Early in my Carrara journey, my first complaint was that Carrara native content didn't contain any grass or rocks.  "Make them yourself," I was told.  With this Challenge, I finally took that to heart.

The rock creature is a vertex object using soft select and construct>organic in the modeling room.  The hands are tightly packed bare branches from the tree modeler.  The "hairs" are bare roots from the Ivy plugin.  The butterfly was made using Philemo's Cutouts and Blimps plugin.

All grass was made with hair.  The flowers are violets from the native content "nature" folder, and propagated via the surface replicator.  Frogs are from the same folder.  The dense green bushes were made in the plant room.  Palm trees are a variety of cutouts and native content, all mixed together.

The water is a plane with a water shader and a water:ripples bump map.  Ground fog comes from a couple of clouds.

The resort is also native content (plaza) somewhat modified in the shader room.  It was set up as a layers list, so that was fun to explore and figure out.  The idols at the entrance are native content (Easter island).

Upper clouds are the very cool nebula cloud in native content.  The stars are Dart's freebie loaded onto a transparent sphere.

GMIC was used for contrast.  No postwork.

Why You Should Never Build a Resort on Sacred Ground.png
    2700 x 1800 - 6M
    Why You Should Never Carrara setup.PNG
    1545 x 994 - 2M
    Post edited by UnifiedBrain on
  • Nice flag DesertDude, I was thinking along the same lines...

image image image
    image image image

You are looking at select frames from a short (less than 4 min) animation where the 'flag' follows the bent pole - I don't have YouTube or space to post the animation so you can't see it in its full glory!

Below is an image of the scene file. The concept is a simple one:

1. Add Vertex Pole and use a 'Bend Twist' modifier to shake it with a noise tween
    2. Add two Target Helpers and place them at the top and bottom of where the flag will be aligned with the pole at it's normal state and extended state - use the same noise tween settings to get them to move with the pole
    3. Add a vertex cloth and use two 'Attach Softbody' modifers to attach the top left and bottom left points to the two targets (separately). Add a 'Soft Body' modifier to the cloth and animate - the cloth will follow the pole... Use a Directional Force to inflate the flag away from the pole.
    Flag_Scene.png
    1297 x 936 - 200K
    FENgari said:

Nice flag DesertDude, I was thinking along the same lines...

Thanks FENgari for the detailed explanation - that looks great, much better than my use of Fractal Noise in the Displacement channel.

edited January 2020

Hope it's not too late, I made the mistake of laying down last night and feel alseep, lol.

final_web_001.jpg
    1600 x 1000 - 218K
  • Great colours DesertDude, I really like your pipe-cleaner man...

I forgot to mention the use of Fenric's TowaredAway on the flags shader to get a vinyl front and dull semi see through back!

Alberto and DesertDude, thanks for getting in under the wire!

FENgari, you continue to explore areas of Carrara that I have never touched.  Thanks for those tips, great results and very interesting.yes

• I may extend the voting a few more days.  We need about 9 more voters to get a fair result (in my opinion).

Maybe it was a bad idea to end voting on a Sunday, which is typically a slow activity day.  And for some weird reason, the forum itself often appears to be extra-sluggish on a Sunday.  For example, it took 20 seconds for this page to open.  Next time it will open at regular speed.  Erratic at best.

I'm very grateful for the advice offered in the forum.  As a result, I tried a lot of things in this Challenge for the first time.  A partial list:

Used hair for grass

Used organic to make a rock

Made a creature!

Spent hours exploring the layers list (still don't fully understand it)

Modeled a coin and a flower in vertex room

Used Philemo's Cutouts and Blimps

Used Fenric's Ivy plugin

Used Genesis 3 character

Added a leaf folder

Used spin modifer and motion blur

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125

I may extend the voting a few more days.  We need about 9 more voters to get a fair result (in my opinion).

Maybe it was a bad idea to end voting on a Sunday, which is typically a slow activity day.  And for some weird reason, the forum itself often appears to be extra-sluggish on a Sunday.  For example, it took 20 seconds for this page to open.  Next time it will open at regular speed.  Erratic at best.

I'm very grateful for the advice offered in the forum.  As a result, I tried a lot of things in this Challenge for the first time.  A partial list:

Used hair for grass

Used organic to make a rock

Made a creature!

Spent hours exploring the layers list (still don't fully understand it)

Modeled a coin and a flower in vertex room

Used Philemo's Cutouts and Blimps

Used Fenric's Ivy plugin

Used Genesis 3 character

Added a leaf folder

Used spin modifer and motion blur

That is a lot of new things to try in one go, UB!  And your results were fantastic.  yes

I have participated in 48 or 49 Challenges.  I've tried to learn something new in each challenge.  And yet Carrara still has so many more functions that I haven't seriously explored yet.  For example, I've hardly touched the particles tools, or some of the built in effects such as motion blur, or most of the plugins.  As Dart would say, Carrara rocks!

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,988

yep, yn arf gwych

always something new to discover... can spend a long time just on the different boolean operations and then trying to remember it all.. 

and the hair/fur can take  ages to get used to, I still have lots of trouble with it.

but it's all fun and keeps the mind active yes

• Thanks Diomede!

Carrara is so deep.  Stezza, glad to know that even you with it struggle at times. :)

I am extending the voting for a short time.  Have sent out PM's.  If anyone reads this, and hasn't voted yet, please do so.

• I've run the numbers and we still need a couple of more voters.  Please be patient with me.frown

Sending out more PM's.  Honestly, I'm surprised at the lack of response.  It's not raining voters. :)

edited February 2020

I finally realized that more voters might do nothing except simply delay the results even further. The last couple of votes did help clarify things, but there is a law of diminishing returns. :)

I didn't vote, in case my vote was needed at the end (and it might change the result).  However, had I voted, there was no change.  But further, as the host, I don't like to vote.  It is like picking a favorite child. smiley heart

Wonderful images, everyone! 

Post edited by UnifiedBrain on
  • ed3Ded3D Posts: 2,119
    edited February 2020

_ still  not  Complete _

Post edited by ed3D on
  • HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,964
    ed3D said:

_ still  not  Complete _

terrain looks phenomenal

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,323
    Headwax said:
    ed3D said:

_ still  not  Complete _

terrain looks phenomenal

+1

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125

+2

Headwax , Dartanbeck , Diomede :   thanks very kindly

• That is some very nice work, ed3D.  What are you going to add?  My last entry was unfinished as well (the lighting was yuck) but I entered it anyway, as it needed to be in this particular Challenge (heavy on plants and all done in Carrara).

That is some very nice work, ed3D.  What are you going to add?  My last entry was unfinished as well (the lighting was yuck) but I entered it anyway, as it needed to be in this particular Challenge (heavy on plants and all done in Carrara).

_thanks kindly , But did'nt even have Objects lined up right and Camera angles lined up right   _Til after challenge closed

edited February 2020

blush

_it seems like , should'nt have put this up
    because since did'nt enter
    and could   enter a differnt Challege
    and part of them say Not put up anywhere
     til after Challege over    _dang

Post edited by ed3D on
  • HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,964

shh =dont tell anyone and non one will know :)