AvalancheDamage.jpg
    1200 x 870 - 247K
    Post edited by Horo on
  • mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 4,988

Wow excelelnt entry Horo, well done.

• adbcadbc Posts: 3,096

Horo : outstanding render.

• yes... outstanding render. 

I hope you are not effected by avalanche danger.

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,111

Thank you mermaid, adbc and Yellow Pen (unlikely, but you can never tell).

• HansmarHansmar Posts: 2,755

Great idea and well rendered, Horo!

• Great Work and idea. The snow between the stones on the ground is a fantastic detail.

Thank you Hansmar and drachenlords. The Floor tiles are actually terrains and that detail came easy - though as second thought. The idea I got from a picture in the newspaper, such happened to a bit away from here to an indoor swimming pool.

edited December 2019

I was not yet very inspired. Made a simple scene, but decided to add some 'faeries' or similar. I hope that in this way it is more like a magical scene.

The sleight is a freebie, The Santa Claus is, I think, a modification of a Poser figure. The Santa Sweet shop was also a freebie. The tries are snow firs. The volumetric clouds are modified from one of the scenes by David Brinnen. Lighting from the sun, a fill light and three radial lights for the house and the sleigh. But a large number of radial lights also for the faeries. I am considering to rerender with other light settings. It is a bit dark now.

Title: Magical take-off.

Magic take off.jpg
    1754 x 875 - 1M
    Post edited by Hansmar on

Hansmar - special but charming. And we actually don't know where this gentleman lives so your entry may well be realistic. laugh

Hansmar : very cool image, well done.

• Hansmar: it looks like a Fairitale....or a dream.

edited December 2019

Horo, adbc and Yellow Pen: Thank you. Nevertheless, I made a new version. I dropped the volumetric cloud slab and changed the lighting very much. I now use a HDRI enhanced sky by Horo, but modified it substantially to bring out the colours more. The idea was to make it more magical with knd of Northern light (but then in different colours). I also wanted a bit more light in general in the scene. I deleted the lights that were used to specifically put light on the house and the Santa and also the fill light. I started using only IBL, but that led to no shadows (due to too even light in the sky). Therefore, I played with combinations of IBL and sun to get this result. I also deleted a number of trees that were stacked on other trees (which I had not noticed before).

Version 2 of 'A magical take off'. Possibly still a WIP, since I might play a bit more with the light, e.g. to darken it a bit, but put light back onto Santa. 

Santa-taking off2.jpg
    875 x 875 - 638K
    edited December 2019

Hnasmar : great sky, beautiful scene but as you say yourself it would be better a bit darker. It's diffferent from the first one : difficult to choose !

My first entry, I think Hansmar inspired me to go for a kind of magic scene as well. I'll call it 'Fairy Tale'

A Fairy tale_.jpg
    850 x 479 - 91K
    Post edited by adbc on

Hansmar - certainly different. The trees in the star got lost, only the wood is visible. Perhaps the snow on the terrain is a bit on the bright side.

adbc - a beautiful fairy-tale landscape.

edited December 2019

adbc, Horo: Thanks for the feedback. I agree, so I am going for yet another version.

adbc: Very nice toon-like fairy-like render. Beautiful sky. 

In the meantime, I made my second entry. This one uses a free sleigh, a Genesis female with an X-dress, a gift, some wreaths and a Christmass ball. Also some (largely instanced) twigs, because with a full tree the scene kept crashing. I already either changed picture textures into procedural ones, e.g. on the sleigh, or made the picture textures much smaller, e.g. on the lady. I used two fill lights, one around the ball and one in the ball, and a spotlight at some distance. The scene is in a reflecting box.

Title: New Christmass ball.

New Christmass ball.jpg
    875 x 875 - 855K
  • Tim82Tim82 Posts: 858

fisrt entry: Christmas in a ball

Christmas in a ball.jpg
    1754 x 875 - 763K
  • @ Hansmar: Version 2 of A magical take off is better for me. Really like a dream scene.
    New Christmass ball is really cute. Very nice idea and well done.

@ adbc: Fairy Tale is also a nice job. Like from an animated film. I like it.

@ Tim82: Christmas in a ball is a very good, photo-realistic render.

Hansmar - Christmas ball is a very nice idea and well done.

Tim - beautifully done and also a very nice idea.

Horo, Hansmar, drachenlords : thank you.

Hansmar : great idea, beautiful render.

Tim82 : cool render, original idea.

• Fairy tales are also very popular at this time of the year.
    Here is a fairy tale about a frost giant.

Here my last entry: Frost Giant

Frost Gigant.jpg
    1600 x 1200 - 1M

drachenlords - another super cool idea with "Frosty" and superbly done.

edited December 2019

Horo, adbc, Drachenlords: Thans very much.

Tim82: Superb render, great use of DoF. Good idea too.

Drachenlords: Great idea and wonderful render. This could easily be in the 'Top recent images', once you put it up (after the contest, of course).

So, I made a third version of my 'Magical take off'. This time it combines the approaches of the first two: relatively dark terrain, light trees and fantastic sky. The view is a bit changed and I made the Santa actually take off this time. I'm starting to think that this will be the final version. But, let's see what others think.

Santa taking off3.jpg
    875 x 875 - 393K

Hansmar - I also think you got it right this time. Definitely the best of the three in my view.

drachenlords : excellent render.

Hansmar : I'll second Horo's comment. Wonderful image.

• @ Horo and adbc: Thank you

@ Hansmar: Thank you very much. Your third version is really the best.

• mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 4,988

Awesome, beautiful entries by Hansmar, Adbc, Tim and Drachenlords,

• drachenlords: As always, tour images are excellent interpretation of the theme. Of the three,  . I like the first one best, especially the snow and the roof lights. Really nice posing on the Frost Giant image and really well staged.

Hero: Cool concept and very effective lumpy snow texture.

Hansmar: I like both take off  images but I think the second is a lot better. Excellent Aurora Borealis  effect.The ornament image is really nicely done. Love the concept and the texturing.

adbc: Very nice winter scene. I like the composition and the lens flare effect.

Tim82: Wonderful job on the snow globe. The render setup is excellrnt especially your use of DOF.

Happy New Year!

• Dan WhitesideDan Whiteside Posts: 497
    edited January 2020

My first entry: ”Miss Kringle Boosts Morale”.

Posed in DS 4.6 from mostly DAZ content. Banner created in Modo. Background cityscape image from CGTextures.

Main illumination from a Dome Light and a parellel lright illuminates the background image. 

Staged in Bryce 7.1 Pro and rendered at 32 RPP, TA nabled. A little over 8 hours render time.

Thanks for taking a look!

morale_booster.jpg
    800 x 1000 - 237K
    Post edited by Dan Whiteside on