39th Bryce Render Challenge Theme is "At this Time of the Year"

Comments

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,119

Hansmar - very well done scene, the fog is a great idea. Is he fishing frozen fish? laugh

• HansmarHansmar Posts: 2,756

Mermaid010, Horo: Thank you. Well as you know, the water under the ice is still liquid. And fishing this way helps to ensure the fish stays cool till you get home cheeky

Anyway, I am presently re-rendering it with a few changes, I increased the fog at the back and als added some fog patces over the lake. Not very dramatic, but probably  just visible and hopefully increasing the coldness of the scene. On the other hand, I decreased the difussivity of one of the trees, to get a bit more contrast in the trees (above the fog). Hope it works. It promises more than 10 hours of rendering, so I will have to wait to see whether it is an improvement.

• SRay: A beautiful peaceful Scene... and wonderful done.

Hansmar: WOW. How long did it rendered? Must be a very long time... And, Horo has a funny Question, yes.laugh

• adbcadbc Posts: 3,099

SRay : Cool idea, very well done.

Hansmar : excellent image. 

• Yellow PenYellow Pen Posts: 918
    edited January 2020

Here's my second entry:

Skating on the frozen Lake.

Skating on the Lake.jpg
    1400 x 787 - 1M
    Post edited by Yellow Pen on

Yellow Pen - excellent idea (brings back memories), beautifully done.

• thank you Horo. And, yes, I did remember too.

Yellow Pen : ice skating on the frozen lake is an awesome picture.

• adbc: thank you

Yellow Pen: Thank you. The render took somewhat over 10 hours, but I stopped it once or twice in between, so I did not see the final render time. You created a great ice skating scene. Very good snow on the branches. I still do not have the hang of that. At first I thought that the ice looked too bumpy, but checking some pictures suggested this could be realistic. What is less logical is that everything is covered by a (thin) layer of snow, but there is no snow whatsoever on the ice. But that is nickpicking, honestly, probably just jealous of your great result devil Still, if you could at least add some streaks of snow at some places on the ice, it would further increase the realism.

adbc: thanks.

I re-rendered my last scene, as indicated. But when comparing the two renders, I saw better points in both, so I will try to combine the best parts next.

edited January 2020

Hansmar - have you considered that Yellow Pen's  tree branches may be frosty, not snow covered. I see this often here in shadowy parts when fog freezes and accumulates. If you see it this way ... just a thought.

Post edited by Horo on
    edited January 2020

My last contribution to the challenge : driving back home after the holidays.

Driving home after the holidays.jpg
    900 x 450 - 83K
    Post edited by adbc on

adbc - cool scene - well, it's winter laugh I like the wolves, nice detail. Trees are also very good.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604

adbc      I have to say it,  but those are either very big wolves or very small vehicles.  

• mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 4,997

Yellow Pen -  the Ice Skating on the frozen lake is an superb render.

Adbc - awesome render

edited January 2020

Horo, mermaid : thank you.

chohole : you are right, I reduced the size of the wolves. This should be better.

Driving home after the holidays.jpg
    900 x 450 - 83K
    Post edited by adbc on
    edited January 2020

Horo: You could be right about the frostiness, though it looks like snow to me in Yellow Pen's render.

adbc: very nice scene. However, I still think the wolves are too big. They are still almost half the size of the rather big cars. Another issue is that the snow is very smooth. There might be a bit more bump in it, I feel. But just like with the render of Yellow Pen: I'm just nitpicking (and not 'nickpicking', of course).

My redone ice fishing scene. I added fog patches above the lake. Not very visible, unless you compare with the earlier one. I also increased and moved the fog near to the camera and changed the fog at the further trees, to create more variety in the view.

winter lake6.jpg
    1754 x 875 - 1M
    Post edited by Hansmar on
    edited January 2020

adbc - I also often struggle with the size of objects and get it wrong. I only noticed the wolves vs car size after Chohole mentioned it and Hansmar as well after the change. What you could do is move a wolf into a car temporarily. Then you can decide whether you make the wolves smaller or the cars bigger.

Hansmar - I'm not sure I see a difference when comparing the two renders, if there is any, it's a small one.

Post edited by Horo on
  • Hansmar - the reason why on the Ice of the lake are not snow is: There is a skater on the Ice. So I have to bring traces in the Snow on the Ice when I put Snow on it.... this is very  difficult to me.  I've needed much time for the Material.

Sorry....

Ice Fishing is beautiful. The difference to the first one must be very small, I can't see it.

Adbc: the second with the smaller Wolves is better. Nice Scene. And Horo's Tipp is very good, I do the same when I'm not sure about the size.

Mermaid: thank you too.

Adbc - the 2nd version is much better, I also struggle with the size of objects in relation to other objects.

Hansmar - the render is awesome.

edited January 2020

Hansmar : Your redone ice fishing is 'still' excellent, cannot see the difference either.

Thanks for the comment about the snow, I increased the bump a bit, little change though.

Horo : thank you for the tip. I made the wolves smaller.

Yellow Pen, mermaid :  thank you.

Now, this is the third version : driving back home after the holidays, reworked as mentioned above. 

Driving home after the holidays .jpg
    900 x 450 - 83K
    Post edited by adbc on
  • @ S Ray: Yes, now I see it too.

@ Hansmar: very nice scene. This way, the fish is served well chilled on the table.

@ Yellow Pen: Ice skating has become very nice.

@ adbc: In the third version, the size of the wolves fits the vehicles better.

drachenlords : thanks.

Horo, Yellow Pen, Mermaid010, adbc, drachenlords: Thanks. Yes, the difference is subtle and only really visible in a direct comparison of the two renders. But I see it, so for me it is relevant.

adbc: Wolves are much better size now. And regarding the snow: if there is no bump in the texture, increasing the bump value will not help. Maybe that is the issue? Maybe modify the snow texture to include more bump, or choose a bumpier starting point or: just keep it as it is now, cause it is a great render!

Hansmar : There is bump in the texture, increase it more gives an undesired effect, and yes I'll leave like it is. Thanks for the help and your comment.

Adbc - nice work on the re-render, beautiful entry.

• Yellow PenYellow Pen Posts: 918
    edited January 2020

Drachenlords: Thank you.

And here's (not yet - Correction is still rendering!) my third entry:a winter fairytale.

a winter fairytail.jpg
    1400 x 787 - 1M
    Post edited by Yellow Pen on

adbc - yes, definitely better.

Yellow Pen - another beauty from you.

• ed3Ded3D Posts: 1,983
    edited January 2020

_nice Renders _

guess Could enter  this one_     INCOMPLETE

Snow-Man-1AF.png
    1280 x 720 - 390K