[Released] ManFriday's Mesh Grabber [Commercial]

Comments

• ZwytZwyt Posts: 119
    gerster said:

just got it... it does not appear Windows->Panes

But according to the plugin list it's installed.

It appears under the tools menu, and in order to see the settings for falloff and everything, you have to open the tool settings pane in Daz.

• NorthOf45NorthOf45 Posts: 5,275

Finally got around to installing this. I have confirmed my own hunch from a week ago about why the gizmo is not centered on the selected geometry. Short answer, offset center point.

When a figure or prop is loaded, it has a default position determined by the location of its center, usually, but not always, at world coordinates [0, 0, 0]. Sometimes they are posed in a specific location (with Translation), but their center is still technically [0, 0, 0]. There is a small portion of figures and props that load at what appears to be the world center, but their center is, in fact, not at the zero position, but at some height "y" off the ground.

All the Genesis figures have their center at [0, 0, 0], but V4's center is at [0, 113.14, 1.46], and so is the center of all her clothing (never really paid any attention to that before, but I checked a couple dozen different pieces). By comparison, all Genesis clothing has its center point at [0, 0, 0].

So, I loaded up one of each V4 and Genesis, and added some simple clothing and turned to the Mesh Grabber tool. On Genesis and the clothing, the gizmo was centered pretty much on the selected geometry. It jumps around as you rotate the view, but stays within the bounds of the selection.

On V4 and the clothing, the gizmo is floating somewhere above her head, (as has been noted by others on various props), but acts on the mesh as expected. And, as some of you might have already figured out, it is exactly 113.14 units above the selected geometry (and 1.46 units in front). I changed the center point of V4 and all clothing to [0, 0, 0] and the gizmo came home, centered on the selected geometry as it does for the Genesis figure.

The center point can be seen using the Joint Editor tool with the base figure or prop selected (not the bones). In the viewport, it will be the small green axis set, paired with a small red one for the end point. In tool settings you can see the exact co-ordinates.

Extending to the general case for any figure or prop, any offset in the center point in any direction will move the gizmo a corresponding amount away from the selected geometry. I am sure it is an easy fix for @ManFriday (I hope), but if you want to try it yourself right now, use the Joint Editor tool and just set the center point x, y, and z positions to 0 (on Tool Settings tab) for the piece you are working on. Conversely, if you want it out of the way, offset the center point...

(no time for pictures, that would take a while)

• When you modifiy the geomatry, can you refix the textures or do they become stretched?

• NorthOf45 said:

Finally got around to installing this. I have confirmed my own hunch from a week ago about why the gizmo is not centered on the selected geometry. Short answer, offset center point.

When a figure or prop is loaded, it has a default position determined by the location of its center, usually, but not always, at world coordinates [0, 0, 0]. Sometimes they are posed in a specific location (with Translation), but their center is still technically [0, 0, 0]. There is a small portion of figures and props that load at what appears to be the world center, but their center is, in fact, not at the zero position, but at some height "y" off the ground.

All the Genesis figures have their center at [0, 0, 0], but V4's center is at [0, 113.14, 1.46], and so is the center of all her clothing (never really paid any attention to that before, but I checked a couple dozen different pieces). By comparison, all Genesis clothing has its center point at [0, 0, 0].

So, I loaded up one of each V4 and Genesis, and added some simple clothing and turned to the Mesh Grabber tool. On Genesis and the clothing, the gizmo was centered pretty much on the selected geometry. It jumps around as you rotate the view, but stays within the bounds of the selection.

On V4 and the clothing, the gizmo is floating somewhere above her head, (as has been noted by others on various props), but acts on the mesh as expected. And, as some of you might have already figured out, it is exactly 113.14 units above the selected geometry (and 1.46 units in front). I changed the center point of V4 and all clothing to [0, 0, 0] and the gizmo came home, centered on the selected geometry as it does for the Genesis figure.

The center point can be seen using the Joint Editor tool with the base figure or prop selected (not the bones). In the viewport, it will be the small green axis set, paired with a small red one for the end point. In tool settings you can see the exact co-ordinates.

Extending to the general case for any figure or prop, any offset in the center point in any direction will move the gizmo a corresponding amount away from the selected geometry. I am sure it is an easy fix for @ManFriday (I hope), but if you want to try it yourself right now, use the Joint Editor tool and just set the center point x, y, and z positions to 0 (on Tool Settings tab) for the piece you are working on. Conversely, if you want it out of the way, offset the center point...

(no time for pictures, that would take a while)

Thank you, that is very helpful!

• When you modifiy the geomatry, can you refix the textures or do they become stretched?

They become stretched as you can see in the promo picture here: https://www.daz3d.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/m/e/mesh-grabber-03-daz3d.jpg 

• barbult said:

It worked great to fix some clothing poke through, but why does the Mesh Grabber tool remain highlighted in the tool bar even after another too has been selected? 

Hi Barbult! I don't use toolbars myself so this is probably something I overlooked. Added it to my list!

• barbult said:
    I've only used it on conforming clothing so far, but the gizmo is always right by the selected polygons. So close, that I can't see the polygons moving very well. The gizmo is kind of in the way. So I guess I kind of have the opposite problem. I really like this product, though. The tool icon that won't unhighlight is really confusing me,though. I'm not sure if the tool is selected or not sometimes.

Did you see the checkboxes in the tool settings for temporarily hiding the sphere or the gizmo? Also the gain slider in the tool settings might help. 
    I might also replace the sphere with a simple 2d circle to make the display clearer. 

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,231
    ManFriday said:
    barbult said:
    I've only used it on conforming clothing so far, but the gizmo is always right by the selected polygons. So close, that I can't see the polygons moving very well. The gizmo is kind of in the way. So I guess I kind of have the opposite problem. I really like this product, though. The tool icon that won't unhighlight is really confusing me,though. I'm not sure if the tool is selected or not sometimes.

Did you see the checkboxes in the tool settings for temporarily hiding the sphere or the gizmo? Also the gain slider in the tool settings might help. 
    I might also replace the sphere with a simple 2d circle to make the display clearer. 

No, I didn't notice the checkbox you mentioned. I'll give that a try next time. Thanks for pointing it out.

• MartialMartial Posts: 404
    RGcincy said:

I don't see your Tool Settings pane in your screen capture (they may be lower down). If you don't have that pane open, go to main DS menu and choose Window/Panes (Tabs)/Tool Settings to open it. You can then dock it next to one of your other panes. If that's not the case, I'm out of ideas.

tHANKS YOU VERY MUCH

nOW I GOT IT

• this tool is amazing for shaping breasts (or any part of the body). My breast morphs don't always work the way I want them to, so this gives me more control.

• Leonides02Leonides02 Posts: 1,379
    edited December 2019

I really, really, really love this tool.

However, after listening to ManFriday's tutorial, I can't help but call it, "Mesh Grabb-ah" even though I'm American. wink

Post edited by Leonides02 on

However, after listening to ManFriday's tutorial, I can't help but call it, "Mesh Grabb-ah" even though I'm American. wink

I know you meant no disrespect, but a free tutorial with AUDIO is a blessing. Let's not even imply anything less or discourage future efforts!!!!

barbult said:

I know you meant no disrespect, but a free tutorial with AUDIO is a blessing. Let's not even imply anything less or discourage future efforts!!!!

Absolutely! I love the accent and the tutorial both. laugh 

Sorry if this has been answered, but...

This doesn't appear to work on imported OBJ's.

Is that expected?

Thank you!

• RGcincyRGcincy Posts: 2,824

It does for me, although the gizmo was far off. As soon as I set the center point in the joint editor to 0,0,0 as NorthOf45 suggested, it was right where it should be.

• tcmtcm Posts: 1

Add me to the list of people who can't get it installed.

I have Daz 4.10 64 bit installed in C:\Program Files\Daz 3D\DazStudio4. The installation log doesn't report any detected installations and when I watched the installer with procmon it never even tried to copy any files other than the Daz store icons and the uninstaller.

What's curious is that the installer isn't even trying to find a Daz 4 installation, it gives up after it can't find Daz 2 or 3. It seems to initially have trouble finding a registry key under HKLM\Software\Daz and I actually don't have that key at all.

Reinstalling DAZ didn't add the key and didn't otherwise help. Any thoughts?

Log started 12/28/2019 at 19:24:06Preferred installation mode : qtTrying to init installer in mode qtMode qt successfully initialized[19:24:07] Content Packager Version: 4.0.0.43[19:24:07] Installer Type: DAZContent[19:24:07] Components Detected: componentStudio4 [19:24:07] dzDetectStudio2: ### Started ###Could not find registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\DAZ\Studio InstallPath. Setting variable temp_installdir_studio2_reg to empty value[19:24:07] dzDetectStudio2: Possible Studio 2 Install Locations detected:[19:24:07] dzDetectStudio2: INI: [19:24:07] dzDetectStudio2: Registry: [19:24:07] dzDetectStudio2: Default: C:\Program Files (x86)/DAZ/Studio[19:24:07] dzDetectStudio2: Studio 2 installation NOT FOUND...[19:24:07] dzDetectStudio2: ### Finished ###[19:24:07] dzDetectStudio3: ### Started ###Could not find registry key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\DAZ\Studio3 InstallPath. Setting variable temp_installdir_studio3_reg_env to empty valueCould not find registry key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\DAZ\Studio3 InstallPath-64. Setting variable temp_installdir_studio3_x64_reg_env to empty value[19:24:07] dzDetectStudio3: Possible Studio 3 Install Locations detected:[19:24:07] dzDetectStudio3: Win32 Common INI: [19:24:07] dzDetectStudio3: Win32 User INI: [19:24:07] dzDetectStudio3: Win32 Registry: [19:24:07] dzDetectStudio3: Win32 Default: C:\Program Files (x86)/DAZ 3D/DAZStudio3[19:24:07] dzDetectStudio3: Win64 Common INI: [19:24:07] dzDetectStudio3: Win64 User INI: [19:24:07] dzDetectStudio3: Win64 Registry: [19:24:07] dzDetectStudio3: Win64 Default: ***unknown variable temp_installdir_studio3_x64_default***[19:24:07] dzDetectStudio3: Studio 3 installation NOT FOUND...[19:24:07] dzDetectStudio3: ### Finished ###[19:24:07] Num Studio 3+ Installations Found: 0Preparing to Install[19:24:38] dzCorrectContentDirPath: ### Started ###[19:24:38] dzCorrectContentDirPath: Old Path: C:\Users\tcmba\Documents/DAZ 3D/Studio/My Library[19:24:38] dzCorrectContentDirPath: New Path: C:\Users\tcmba\Documents/DAZ 3D/Studio/My Library[19:24:38] dzCorrectContentDirPath: ### Finished ###[19:24:38] dzGetUninstallerLocation: ### Started ###[19:24:38] dzGetUninstallerLocation: Uninstaller Location: N/A[19:24:38] dzGetUninstallerLocation: ### Finished ###[19:24:38] dzSetNewUninstallerLocation: ### Started ###[19:24:38] dzSetNewUninstallerLocation: Uninstaller Location: [19:24:38] dzSetNewUninstallerLocation: ### Finished ###Preparing to InstallCreating directory C:\Users\tcmba\AppData\Local\Temp\DAZ 3DCreating directory C:\Users\tcmba\AppData\Local\Temp\DAZ 3D\MetaDataUnpacking filesDirectory already exists: C:\Users\tcmba\AppData\Roaming\DAZ 3D\imagesUnpacking filesUnpacking C:\Users\tcmba\AppData\Roaming\DAZ 3D\images\DAZ3D Store.icoCreating Desktop Shortcut for Update Mesh Grabber for DAZ Studio 4.5+ (Win 64-bit)[19:24:38] dzCleanupTempFiles: ### Started ###[19:24:38] dzCleanupTempFiles: ### Finished ###Creating UninstallerCreating uninstaller 25%Creating uninstaller 50%Creating uninstaller 75%Creating uninstaller 100%Installation completedLog finished 12/28/2019 at 19:24:48

edited December 2019

Is there a way to limit the polygon selection to a specific SURFACE so I can move that surface away from the other surfaces of the same object? I suspect not, but thought somebody might have a suggestion. In this dress, the red laces, striped bodice, black side panels, etc. are all separate surfaces of the same object. I can't figure out how to use Mesh Grabber to separate these surfaces from each other to ficx the poke through. Is it possible? 

Surface poke through.jpg
    2000 x 2600 - 4M
    Post edited by barbult on
    barbult said:

Is there a way to limit the polygon selection to a specific SURFACE so I can move that surface away from the other surfaces of the same object? I suspect not, but thought somebody might have a suggestion. In this dress, the red laces, striped bodice, black side panels, etc. are all separate surfaces of the same object. I can't figure out how to use Mesh Grabber to separate these surfaces from each other to ficx the poke through. Is it possible? 

If not, this would be an extraordinarily useful feature for later!

• AsariAsari Posts: 703
    RGcincy said:

It does for me, although the gizmo was far off. As soon as I set the center point in the joint editor to 0,0,0 as NorthOf45 suggested, it was right where it should be.

Yes, same for ne here. I originally posted some days ago that it doesn't work for imported props but then I noticed one day that it works, only that the gizmo is way up above the mesh or somewhere else in the scene.
  • barbult said:

I think you can use the - Tools - Geometry Editor to select the surfaces (more powerful selection) then when you have selected the surfaces you want to move swap back to Mesh Grabber and pull or push

• FenixPhoenixFenixPhoenix Posts: 3,035
    edited December 2019

Hi, not sure if this has been answered, but I can't find mesh grabber in the active tool menu. I've manually downloaded and installed it, but it just won't show up. Any idea what I can do? Or are there instructions for installing it into DAZ studio?

In case the information is important:

• Operating system: Windows 10 64 bit
    • Daz Studio 4.12

Nevermind, figured it out! :)

Post edited by FenixPhoenix on
  • nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714
    ManFriday said:

When you modifiy the geomatry, can you refix the textures or do they become stretched?

They become stretched as you can see in the promo picture here: https://www.daz3d.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/m/e/mesh-grabber-03-daz3d.jpg 

You can try playing with scaling though on the textures; wont help if not tileable, but might if they are.

edited December 2019
    Asari said:
    RGcincy said:

Yes, same for ne here. I originally posted some days ago that it doesn't work for imported props but then I noticed one day that it works, only that the gizmo is way up above the mesh or somewhere else in the scene.

Ah, thanks for this. I will try the fix suggested. Cheers!

P.S. I've used this product so much in the last few days - making terrain, fixing poke through, adjusting the occassionally terrible autofit on shoes, etc. It has become one of those tools I'm no longer sure how I lived without. Excellent work, ManFriday!

Post edited by Leonides02 on
    Asari said:
    RGcincy said:

P.S. I've used this product so much in the last few days - making terrain, fixing poke through, adjusting the occassionally terrible autofit on shoes, etc. It has become one of those tools I'm no longer sure how I lived without. Excellent work, ManFriday!

Yes, it used to be a whole ordeal: Convert to base resolution. Hide everything else in the scene. Export to OBJ. Import OBJ into Blender. Modify mesh. Export mesh as OBJ. Import modified OBJ int Daz Studio with morph loader pro or update base geometry. Restore original resolution. Restore visibility to the rest of the scene. Check - Oops, missed a little spot - do it again...

Now it feels like a miracle tool and it sounds like it will get even better with future updates. Money WELL spent, for sure!

• AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,145
    Asari said:
    RGcincy said:

Ditto...this might just be my favorite Daz Studio plugin EVER :)

Laurie

• AsariAsari Posts: 703
    I agree. I use it mainly for kitbashing clothing sets and fix the pokethrough. It works particularly great if you import your own clothing props and then layer a conforming piece over it.

If there were a way to switch more smoothly between this and geometry editor for polygon selecting I can imagine doing simple face morphs with it in DS directly.

• SnowSultanSnowSultan Posts: 3,510

Has anyone used this yet to create small flesh folds or indentations, like when pressing a finger to a cheek or like OOT's "microindentation" morphs when tight clothing presses into the skin and causes small bulges? I'd be interested to know how smooth and small you can make adjustments, being able to make good clothing-on-skin indentations would be enough to send it to my cart.  :)   Thanks in advance.

Has anyone used this yet to create small flesh folds or indentations, like when pressing a finger to a cheek or like OOT's "microindentation" morphs when tight clothing presses into the skin and causes small bulges? I'd be interested to know how smooth and small you can make adjustments, being able to make good clothing-on-skin indentations would be enough to send it to my cart.  :)   Thanks in advance.

You will still be limited by the base resolution of the mesh you work with, just like any modeler. I think some of the things you mentioned are based on HD morphs.

• barbult said:

I'm too tierd to do screenshotz, but I think if in the Geomerry editor you selrct your desired surface under "Group name', then right click on your target item in the viewport then chose "Geometry Selection"/"Select by"/Surfaces"/"Your desired surface", then swapfrom the Geometry editor tool to the MeshGrabber tool, you will be able to do what you want to do.

Good luck anyway.

Regardz,

Dave

• I brought it with the hope of making ears like this but I can't rotate the selected tip sadley

blender_ear.png
    1920 x 1017 - 1M