Comments

• nicstt said:
    ManFriday said:
    nicstt said:

I love this, love this, love this.

nicstt said:
    ManFriday said:
    nicstt said:

And... In case you missed it. I love this, :)

Any chance of an undo that returns the widget to its previous position?

I'm not sure what you mean... the undo should work now and undo any drags you have made on the mesh, step by step. The position of the gizmo is always computed on the fly depending on the selection and the camera of the viewport: it will always be on the vertex that is closest to the camera. You can test this by moving the viewport camera around while something is selected in the tool. (Except for the bug that rgcincy reported.)

i do want to add undo steps for selections together with some other improvements for selections. Is that what you mean?

Not quite.

Ctrl Z to undo; this undos changes made to the mesh, it doesn't move the Gizmo to a position it was in previously. That would be useful - very useful.

Ah I see. Yes, that will be working when undo remembers the selections then!

• wscottart said:

Does anyone know how to add this grabber tool to the viewport?

It's not in the viewport until you select it in the Tools menu. 

• wscottartwscottart Posts: 431
    edited December 2019
    ManFriday said:
    wscottart said:

Can it be placed here?

grabber.JPG
    842 x 194 - 37K
    Post edited by wscottart on
  • RGcincyRGcincy Posts: 2,808
    edited December 2019

Wanted to see how well this worked on a face. I used base G8F with 38% Zev0 youth morph added (it was a scene I already had set up so a quicker start). I grabbed the nose in several places to give it a hook, engorged the lips, sunk the cheek, and gave it a forehead horn. Pretty fast overall with just some care needed to be sure you were pulling/pushing in the right direction. Now it just needs a wart!

(original face is attached below)

Mesh grabber face mods.png
    800 x 800 - 827K
    Mesh grabber face mods before.png
    800 x 800 - 801K
    Post edited by RGcincy on
    edited December 2019

Another test, this time on hair. With the head tilted, the hair alongside the face doesn't respond to gravity. Hid the figure and clothing (to make it easier to focus on the hair) and pushed /pulled in multiple spots to make the hair hang down vertically. These actions are pose specific, so you'd want to be sure you were in your final pose before spending time.

Before:                                                                                        After:

Mesh grabber hair after.png
    800 x 800 - 848K
    Mesh grabber hair before.png
    800 x 800 - 765K
    Post edited by RGcincy on
    edited December 2019

Will definetly look forward to added functions especially rotation and scale =)

• FirePro9FirePro9 Posts: 455

Finally something way better than dFormers, thank you!  Add-ons would be great.

• RainRain Posts: 335
    edited December 2019

I went to purchase it and discovered it was for Windows only.  One of the very few times I'm disappointed I have a MAC.

Post edited by Rain on
  • inquireinquire Posts: 2,099
    ManFriday said:
    inquire said:

Well, hope you do add a version for Mac.

It's not that I don't like Macs. In fact I much prefer MacOS to Windows from a user perspective. But developing for Macs has much different parameters, and I've never done it, and I have no idea how big the market is with respect to Daz and whether the considerable effort would pay off. One of these days I will sit down and do it and boom! all my plugins will be available for the Mac. :-)

Thanks for telling me.

• wscottart said:
    ManFriday said:
    wscottart said:

Can it be placed here?

Yes it can.

Under Window  - Workspace - Customize

edited December 2019

So I was playing around and set up a dform tool using a weight map. The also added a push modifer. Then I went and used the grabber tool and picked out a few areas on the sphere, and found that the dformer tool, I'm assuming has influence over the grabber giving me some wild unexpected moves.

wscottart said:
    ManFriday said:
    wscottart said:

Can it be placed here?

Yes it can.

Under Window  - Workspace - Customize

Thank you

• lukon100lukon100 Posts: 764

Anyone try Mesh Grabber on geografted parts or clothing that is fitted using adaptor templates yet?

• lukon100 said:

Anyone try Mesh Grabber on geografted parts or clothing that is fitted using adaptor templates yet?

Mesh Grabber does indeed work on geografted parts, you just gotta remember to have them selected in the scene tab when using Mesh Grabber. I'm not sure what you mean by "adaptor templates".

• vwranglervwrangler Posts: 4,821

I'm having a weird issue with Mesh Grabber, and I'm not sure how to describe it.

In the attached image below, what I was trying to do was select the side of the pillow and have it bend down over the character's arm. The pillow is parented to a group that includes the bed, but isn't parented to the bed itself. I activated Mesh Grabber in the Tools menu, selected polygons and all seemed to be well. (Side note: why are the selected polygons in the scene gray instead of yellow as in the video? Possibly not relevant to anything, though.) However, I noticed that when I selected them, I didn't see the gizmo anywhere. When I pulled back a bit further, I saw that the gizmo was floating well above the pillow, as you can see in the image. Moreover, there weren't any handles on the mesh grabber gizmo to grab. I thought at first that maybe the issue was that the bones of the pillow had been incorrectly defined, but when I went back to the universal tool, the bones are centered in the pillow as they should be. So I reactivated Mesh Grabber again, selected polygons again, had the mesh grabber gizmo floating way above the pillow again. It's actually functioning, sort of -- if I grab the axis point and pull down, the pillow deforms, but there's no way to tell what's going to happen with the gizmo that far away from the item it's supposed to be deforming.

Any clue about what's going on there?

mesh grabber issue

meshgrabberissue.jpg
    1149 x 875 - 229K

Several of us have seen the same on select items and ManFriday has said he'll look into what's going on after the holidays. I have one stool where the Mesh Grabber controls are way above the object. One thing you can do in the meantime is create an instance of the pillow and place it up where the sphere grabber controls are showing. You can then see the result as you move the mesh around. A bit cumbersome but it works as long as you remember to grab polygons on the actual object, not the instance you're viewing.

• marblemarble Posts: 7,449
    RGcincy said:

Several of us have seen the same on select items and ManFriday has said he'll look into what's going on after the holidays. I have one stool where the Mesh Grabber controls are way above the object. One thing you can do in the meantime is create an instance of the pillow and place it up where the sphere grabber controls are showing. You can then see the result as you move the mesh around. A bit cumbersome but it works as long as you remember to grab polygons on the actual object, not the instance you're viewing.

Never fails to amaze me how inventive you can be. I never would have thought of that.

I'm hoping that some of these "fixes" in the new year will come along as updates rather than part of an add-on package (although I have no objection to paying for additional features). But I have bought Mesh Grabber anyway - I don't have ZBrush, Hex tends to crash a lot for me and it is a pain going back and forth between DAZ Studio and Blender.

• ManFridayManFriday Posts: 549
    edited December 2019
    marble said:
    RGcincy said:

Never fails to amaze me how inventive you can be. I never would have thought of that.

I'm hoping that some of these "fixes" in the new year will come along as updates rather than part of an add-on package (although I have no objection to paying for additional features). But I have bought Mesh Grabber anyway - I don't have ZBrush, Hex tends to crash a lot for me and it is a pain going back and forth between DAZ Studio and Blender.

Of course fixes will be free. That's how I've done it with my past products. And thank you for the purchase :-)

Post edited by ManFriday on
  • HavosHavos Posts: 5,308

I picked this up, and so far it is looking to be a useful tool. I do have a couple of problems:

1) The tool seems to work much better in polygon selection, that vertex/edge selection, which is a shame, as I find vertex selection gives you more fine grained control. The main problem I have is selecting the vertex/edges I want to move. On a mesh that has aleady been heavily morphed I found selecting the right vertex near impossible, each click selected a vertex some distance from the one I wanted, or even ended up selecting a vertex on a different object to the one I had selected in the Scene pane, where as selecting a polgon was much easier.

2) The maintaing the same selection as the geometry editor only works for polygons, not edges or vertices. If I select a bunch of edges in the Geometry Editor then select Mesh Grabber (that has also been set to the edge selection) when I switch back to Mesh Grabber, nothing is shown as selected. The main reason I want this fixed is because using the Geometry Editor to pick vertices and edges worked much better than with Mesh Grabber. As such if the selection was maintained it would give me a workaround to issue 1).

• NorthOf45NorthOf45 Posts: 5,260

In Geometry Editor you can convert your selection between Polygons, Edges and Vertex. With some mesh selected, in the viewport, right-click->Geometry Selection->Convert Selection->Convert to Polygon/Edge/Vertex Selection.

• NorthOf45 said:

In Geometry Editor you can convert your selection between Polygons, Edges and Vertex. With some mesh selected, in the viewport, right-click->Geometry Selection->Convert Selection->Convert to Polygon/Edge/Vertex Selection.

True, but the mesh grabber can only retrieve the poly selection from the geometry editor at this point. I haven't found any interfaces yet to get to edge or vertex selections. 

• Havos said:

I picked this up, and so far it is looking to be a useful tool. I do have a couple of problems:

1) The tool seems to work much better in polygon selection, that vertex/edge selection, which is a shame, as I find vertex selection gives you more fine grained control. The main problem I have is selecting the vertex/edges I want to move. On a mesh that has aleady been heavily morphed I found selecting the right vertex near impossible, each click selected a vertex some distance from the one I wanted, or even ended up selecting a vertex on a different object to the one I had selected in the Scene pane, where as selecting a polgon was much easier.

2) The maintaing the same selection as the geometry editor only works for polygons, not edges or vertices. If I select a bunch of edges in the Geometry Editor then select Mesh Grabber (that has also been set to the edge selection) when I switch back to Mesh Grabber, nothing is shown as selected. The main reason I want this fixed is because using the Geometry Editor to pick vertices and edges worked much better than with Mesh Grabber. As such if the selection was maintained it would give me a workaround to issue 1).

Thank you for the report. I am aware of these things, but they're a little harder to fix because of the limited interfaces available to me in Daz Studio. One thing that works for me sometimes is that once I have an approximation of things selected in face selection mode, i switch to vertex selection and then deselect the vertices i don't want. 
    I will try to improve vertex selection regardless. I agree it's the most useful for fine-grained control. 

ManFriday said:
    Havos said:

Thank you for the report. I am aware of these things, but they're a little harder to fix because of the limited interfaces available to me in Daz Studio. One thing that works for me sometimes is that once I have an approximation of things selected in face selection mode, i switch to vertex selection and then deselect the vertices i don't want. 
    I will try to improve vertex selection regardless. I agree it's the most useful for fine-grained control. 

Thanks for the answer. I had tried your workaround, but due to the extreme difficulty of selecting the vertices, I was not able to de-select the vertices I did not want. I should add this was a heavily morphed mesh, where many vertices were significantly displaced from their base positions, so that is what may have been making the job of selecting what I wanted particularly hard.

It's a shame Daz Studio does not give you access to the vertex and edge selections of the geometry editor. However if you are able to modify the tool so that the vertices were easier to select, then the need to grab the Geometry Editor selections would be a lot less important.

• NorthOf45NorthOf45 Posts: 5,260
    ManFriday said:
    NorthOf45 said:

True, but the mesh grabber can only retrieve the poly selection from the geometry editor at this point. I haven't found any interfaces yet to get to edge or vertex selections. 

I was actually suggesting to use the Geometry Tool in Vertex mode, for example, then convert the selection to polygons before using Mesh Grabber (until such time as yours can do it), if that is what I think Havos meant. Can't try it myself yet, still in the download/install queue...

edited December 2019

Well, I have another one to report, and this one is even stranger than before.

I was working with the same set -- the JW Classic dForce Bed -- although in a different scene. I activated Mesh Grabber, then clicked on the bedspread, which had been dForced to drape over a character in the bed. Two things happened more or less at once.

1) The gizmo appeared well above the bedspread itself, way up in the air. As before, there are no handles on the gizmo to grab; the only way to deform anything would be to grab the axis points and hope and pray, more or less.

2) I used the mouse to select some polygons on the bedspread. When I released the mouse button, the bedspread flew up to where the gizmo was, for no reason that I could determine. Mind, since there still weren't any handles, it wasn't exactly helpful to have the gizmo and the bedspread in the same place.

It may be that there's something really weird about that set. I'm going to try it out with a few other things to see what happens.

Post edited by vwrangler on
    NorthOf45 said:
    ManFriday said:
    NorthOf45 said:

I was actually suggesting to use the Geometry Tool in Vertex mode, for example, then convert the selection to polygons before using Mesh Grabber (until such time as yours can do it), if that is what I think Havos meant. Can't try it myself yet, still in the download/install queue...

I could try that, but it still leaves me with a bunch of vertices I don't want, and no easy way to deselect them.

vwrangler said:

I was working with the same set -- the JW Classic dForce Bed -- although in a different scene. I activated Mesh Grabber, then clicked on the bedspread, which had been dForced to drape over a character in the bed. Two things happened more or less at once.

1) The gizmo appeared well above the bedspread itself, way up in the air. As before, there are no handles on the gizmo to grab; the only way to deform anything would be to grab the axis points and hope and pray, more or less.

2) I used the mouse to select some polygons on the bedspread. When I released the mouse button, the bedspread flew up to where the gizmo was, for no reason that I could determine. Mind, since there still weren't any handles, it wasn't exactly helpful to have the gizmo and the bedspread in the same place.

It may be that there's something really weird about that set. I'm going to try it out with a few other things to see what happens.

Did u try and freeze the simulation? Another issue could be the tool not seeing the mesh at the end of the timeline, if you used the timeline to simulate.

One possible work around is to export the bedspread as obj, then reimport it and hide the original bedspread. The newly imported bedspread is less likely to have these same issues with the mesh grabber.

• vwrangler said:

1) seems to be same bug that rgcincy reported. I hope to fix that after the holidays when i'm back at my computer. About 2) i'm not sure but undo should have fixed it? I'll have a look at the JW Classic Bed product as well. 

Havos said:
    vwrangler said:

Did u try and freeze the simulation? Another issue could be the tool not seeing the mesh at the end of the timeline, if you used the timeline to simulate.

One possible work around is to export the bedspread as obj, then reimport it and hide the original bedspread. The newly imported bedspread is less likely to have these same issues with the mesh grabber.

The simulation was frozen before I did anything with Mesh Grabber, and I didn't use a timeline.

I'll try with a few other things and see what happens.

• XenomorphineXenomorphine Posts: 2,421
    edited December 2019

One suggestion I would make for the future would be to change from manual selection of individual polygons to being able to 'stamp' selections of specific shapes, such as circles, squares and triangles, along with the ability to create lines. I imagine I'll be attempting to use this a lot for altering machines and vehicles, which would require that sort of geometric selection.

Also an ability to replicate movement on opposing side of an object. To a degree, this funcitons, but if, say, you want shapes to tilt away from an object, you can only either make them go to the left or right, not equally turn in/out.

Very useufl tool, though!

Post edited by Xenomorphine on
  • LasciareLasciare Posts: 184

I was very lucky to have been able to test this before its release, and it really is a massive gamechanger!

Here's a couple of pictures of one of the first things I did while testing this addon; flesh pressed against glass.

@TheNathanParable

Fascinating! How did you do that?