Show Us Your Bryce Renders! Part 7

Comments

• JStryderJStryder Posts: 168
    edited June 2014

Jamahoney said:
    chohole said:
    Jamahoney said:
    Fencepost...great pencil effects...must give it a try.

If it's of any use, JStryder...on the eyeballs’ issue, I only get that problem when using Daz 3.1 (not 4.6). You can, however, fix the problem in Daz 3.1 by selecting the parts of the eye and moving them ever so slightly towards the camera. For some unknown reason they import slightly (for my setup, anyway) behind the main eyeball, and if that isn’t a problem, the pupils’ group also comes in rotated by 180 degrees in the horizontal.

Jay

Is that a Gen 4 character or a genesis one. In gen 4 the white layer over the top of the eye parts can be set to a glass mat to give eye shine.

Chohole...not sure - was it Vicky 4 or Victoria 4 that came with Daz 3.1? But with 4.6 it's Gen 2. I tried your glass suggestion (transparency, too) on the eyeball's sclera and eye surface on Vic, but you can only see the other parts (pupils, etc.,) faintly.

I don't do much facework, let alone bodywork, too, but I do like the old Daz 3.1 model as it's possible to change markings on the face and body maps manually, using, say, a graphics software, as they are in .jpg format. I can't seem to find that format in 4.6, as they may be using a different extension to suit the code.

Jay
    Changing eyesurface to glass may also work with Aiko 3. But not so much for Genesis or Genesis 2, will have to try the "nudge towards the camera" trick for that. Although the glassy eye surface is quite a nice effect when it works.

Post edited by JStryder on
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

I think Genesis 2 has an extra eye surface, hang on a minute, let me check with someone

OK just checked and Genesis 2 does indeed have an extra surface that Genesis 1 didn't have. SO You can add a glass mat to that one.

• GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

@JStryder: Love the idea in that scene.

@David: Thank you. It took a while to figure out how to get some of the curves, but I'm happy with the ones I came up with. I'd like to create a wooden walking bridge, but have yet to figure out how to create the individual verticals without resulting to creating individual pieces. Your new landscape really is eye candy.

@mermaid: Thanks.

@Bruce: Those cans look good. One thing I notice is that the top is higher than the top lip. Most pop cans I've seen have the top recessed more than you show in those three cans. Still, nice results.

• dana365dana365 Posts: 131
    edited December 1969

Roygee:
    great bridge, I am always blown away with that much symmetry, well done!

fencepost52:
    those renders really show just how flexible Bryce can be, wonderful! If I had to choose I would say "PencilSketchAmbientLight2ColoredA" is the one

GussNemo:
    fantastic modeling for sure, those bridges demand a serious bit of alignment and attention to detail. just fantastic.

JStryder:
    I can see where decimation, is going to come in very handy, thank you for the details and tips on how you can reduce the load in Bryce. I know this will be a life saver on some projects.

David Brinnen:
    I seriously don't know how you get so much done, it boggles my mind!

goshtac:
    the pop props look great, I like what you have chosen to do with the graphics, the look suits the concept perfectly.

edited December 1969

@dana: Thank you very much. I think the details could be better if I understood Wings 3D better. And was able to visualize what needed done and when.

• GoshtacGoshtac Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

@Guss and Dana

Thanks for the comments on the pop cans. I agree Guss that the top of these first cans looked a little high with the rim. Hopefully I have fixed this a little better (Based it on way some pop cans like Pepsi have the slight bulged top ) with the latest version as well as doing some other minor changes to the graphics. ( Funny I get so caught up in the details and then the final prop ends up just a tiny object in the background of a scene, so often the time spent on a prop isn't really worth it since the details don't show that well )

Bruce

updated COLD ROCK COLA can prop below

Cold_Rock_Cola_Image_J2.jpg
    975 x 681 - 136K
  • HoroHoro Posts: 10,499
    edited December 1969

@mermaid010 - very nice space scene.

@GussNemo - that bridge came out great.

@fencepost52 - Those blue shapes look almost like some fabric. Pencil sketch looks great. I also like the second and third best but the first looks truly like drawn with a soft pencil on a rough sheet.

@JStryder - great to know Mashlab also works for DS/Poser people.I used it at the time for the Stanford dragons.

@David - Great idea of using the ledge on the terrain. Never though of using it is such a way.

@Bruce - I like the cans. Look good to me.

edited December 1969

@Bruce: Those now look like the cans I'm familiar with, slight upward bulge in the center and the deeper outside edges. Nice work.

@Horo: Thank you. I've noticed a few things which might be better, and may be once I learn how to use Wings 3D better.

I was looking for a Wings 3D modeling tutorial on You Tube and came across this Spiral Torus tutorial. It's rather easy to do, but gave me fits during smoothing. If I smoothed both tori at the same time Wings 3D crashed. So I ended up smoothing one, saving it, then smoothing the other and saving that torus. Because there are so many faces, vertices, and lines, I used Mesh Lab to lower the number of everything. I don't know it Bryce could handle this Spiral Torus without going through Mesh Lab, but it had no problem dealing with it after Mesh Lab. Below are a couple of rough rendered images of this version of a Spiral Torus.

Double_Spiral_Torii_4.png
    1080 x 810 - 1014K
    Double_Spiral_Torii_1.png
    1080 x 810 - 990K
  • mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 5,355
    edited December 1969

Bruce- the cans are nicely done. The 1st ones remind me of cans, the little ones give a good shaking to and then mess my carpet. lol

Horo – thanks

Guss – the Tori are great. Thanks for sharing the link.

edited June 2014

GussNemo:
    nice job on the tori, and thanks to mermaid010 I now know the plural of torus, which I had no idea before.
    I have seen you mention MeshLab before, and I just went to the site, its not clear to me what its various uses are. I downloaded it and when my "Crescent Falls" animation is done rendering (2-3 days) I am going to check it out.

Post edited by dana365 on
  • David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited December 1969

Testing some lighting and materials on Horo's c shaped high resolution island terrain.

P58_island_dev3.jpg
    1511 x 850 - 526K
    edited December 1969

@dana365 - Meshlab does a great job in reducing mesh density. It can do much more, though.

@David - looks great. Ermitag3 sky dome used. Here are two with the same island I made for the sky dome video I just finished. I used the Glacier material from the upcoming High Resolution Terrains - Set 2. The first has the Ermitag2 sky dome, the second the Ermitage3 one.

Ce3.jpg
    800 x 533 - 73K
    Ce2.jpg
    800 x 533 - 79K
    edited June 2014

Horo:
    David:

thank you, man those materials and lighting are looking great.

Horo:
    GussNemo:

question about MeshLab:
    so in the past when I have made a black and white, 2D, png shape, then I open it in a free program that can convert it to a Scalable Vector Graphic
    automatically, even though I have asked it to simplify first (remove unnecessary nodes) when I open it in Blender or probable Wings 3D
    would be the same, it has 1000's of extra nodes (making editing a real headache), many of which are not needed, having made svg's by hand in the past I know they are extra, especially on curves. (The converting software is not well made and over defines curves)
    Would MeshLab reduce those nodes? making the 3D shape way more simple to work with in Blender or Wings. I hope this is the
    case I would like to continue using auto trace instead of manually building the SVG by hand, even though I get the absolute minimum
    number of nodes when hand built, it takes time.

thank you so much for taking the time to listen!

edited December 1969

A few hours later... the same materials, but given some refinement to bring out the detail in the terrain with greater subtlety and hopefully realism.

P58_island_dev9.jpg
    1511 x 850 - 510K
    edited June 2014

@GussNemo - spiral tori look very nice.

@David - What an improvement! The beach and everything looks great (needs to be beheld in the full size to fully appreciate).

Post edited by Horo on
    edited December 1969

David:
    its better than photo realistic, its like a an image was capture buy the best camera on the market with the best lens ever made

edited December 1969

dana365 said:
    David:
    its better than photo realistic, its like a an image was capture buy the best camera on the market with the best lens ever made

Thank you, but after hours of working on this, all I see are the compromises I've had to make.

P58_example_scene1e.jpg
    1511 x 850 - 550K
    P58_example_scene1d.jpg
    1511 x 850 - 613K
    P58_example_scene1c.jpg
    1511 x 850 - 589K
    P58_example_scene1b.jpg
    1511 x 850 - 358K
    P58_example_scene1a.jpg
    1511 x 850 - 430K
    edited June 2014

David:
    ya I know that feeling, and once you see something you can't unsee it, or some of mine, I have worked on so much that when its "done" I couldn't care less about the scene.

"P58_example_scene1e" is perfection

I am sure these are going to fly off the shelves when you make them available, I hope that is the case with the first set, its a fair price on them right now as well.

edited December 1969

@mermaid: Thank you, and you're welcome.

@dana: Thanks. When I have a object with several 100 thousand faces I'll run it through Mesh Lab to decimate, or reduce, the number of faces to something Bryce can handle without throwing a hissy fit; aka, crashing. As with the tori I posted, both the inner and outer had 212 thousand faces, which crashed Wings when I worked with both. And may have had Bryce whimpering. Running both through Mesh Lab I reduced the faces down to 52 thousand, which Bryce had no trouble with. Because Mesh Lab reduces faces, that also means vertices are also reduced. So Mesh Lab may be your solution. Just keep in mind, you have to keep reducing until you reach the amount of faces you want. The following is the only feature of Mesh Lab I've used: Filters --> Remeshing, Simplification and Reconstruction --> Quadric Edge Collapse Decimation. A window opens showing the number of faces on the object, some other choices, and Default, Help, Close, and Apply. Unless you want to make changes, click on Apply and Mesh Lab will go to work. Then do it again until you've reached your goal.

@David: You've achieved some gorgeous results. Some of those look like photos.

@Horo: Thanks. Those two scenes are very beautiful. Those two skies give each a different atmosphere.

edited December 1969

While poor David labours on the materials and surpasses himself with each iteration, I had some fun with our hi-res terrain set 1. I used Stonemason's Utopia Deck C and the Skyline Hall. I have an other variant using the fisheye lens in the galleries. I have difficulties to decide which one is better.

ScenicOutposts.jpg
    1000 x 625 - 141K
  • cjreynoldscjreynolds Posts: 155
    edited December 1969

David, I notice you're posting larger images lately - did you get a larger monitor?

• JamahoneyJamahoney Posts: 1,791
    edited December 1969

Gorgeous works, David and Horo - the Terrain (Set 1) certainly will be of use for all kinds of stories to be told - past and future. Animators will love 'em, too, I'll say.

Jay

edited December 1969

@Horo: That is another beautiful scene. Are those solar panels in the distance? That new set really looks nice. You and David have done a fantastic job.

edited December 1969

@Jay - thank you.

@GussNemo - thank you. No, this is Stonemason's Skyline Hall, another scenic outpost.

After all this work on these terrains, I'm having a bit of fun with them. In the distance another two Skyline Halls, in the camera back Olympus Mons and an AH-9100 is flying. This result, however, doesn't convince me fully.

LaunchPad.jpg
    1000 x 667 - 139K
    edited December 1969

GussNemo:
    Thank you for going into the details, I am totally looking forward to checking it out, it really sounds like it going to be the solution, ya!!

Horo:
    "ScenicOutposts" and "LaunchPad" are fantastic, what fun for sure!
    for LaunchPad you cloud try and stage the scene where the craft has just left the pad and is banking or something, this would allow you
    to bounce the light off of it and capture some of its details.

edited June 2014

David and Horo – really awesome, stunning renders.

This weekend was a fractals weekend. Besides using JWildFire I found this cool free software

http://sourceforge.net/projects/apophysis7x/

I used the random options tweaked them a bit and then rendered them in Bryce. I saw some awesome images of Fractals rendered in Bryce but did not get any good results so I settle for black backgrounds in all.

The 1st two are JWildFire and the 2nd two are Apophysis fractals.

Edited: David the P58_sample_scene1d ... looks like a floating island, a bit huge but I love it.

fractal4.jpg
    600 x 600 - 22K
    fractal3.jpg
    600 x 600 - 39K
    fractal2.jpg
    600 x 600 - 49K
    fractal1.jpg
    500 x 500 - 32K
    Post edited by mermaid010 on
    edited June 2014

David, I notice you're posting larger images lately - did you get a larger monitor?

The size of the renders is often dictated by the render times. These terrain renders... I'll throw in some more. Render in a couple of minute so I can rattle them off pretty sharpish and otherwise get on with using my computer. For the likes of TA rendering and the like, it usually means setting things up and leaving the PC to get on with the heavy lifting for a few hours.

I'm pleased you like the island renders, as stated, here's some more. This is "h" island by Horo lit with one of his HDRI's Ermitage3_SD_2560

Edit. Oh I meant to say, interesting results with the fractals, the look good, very 3D - is that how they come or did you apply them as a heightmap (to a terrain or lattice) to get this result?

P58_example_scene2f.jpg
    1511 x 850 - 679K
    P58_example_scene2e.jpg
    1511 x 850 - 400K
    P58_example_scene2c.jpg
    1511 x 850 - 570K
    P58_example_scene2a.jpg
    1511 x 850 - 613K
    P58_example_scene2.jpg
    1511 x 850 - 532K
    Post edited by David Brinnen on
    edited December 1969

Edit. Oh I meant to say, interesting results with the fractals, the look good, very 3D - is that how they come or did you apply them as a heightmap (to a terrain or lattice) to get this result?

I applied them to a terrain and used the image in the material lab too. It was something I learnt here. I can't remember who but someone explained how to use a wall height map and then use the image for the material. So I gave it a try with the fractals, and I was pleased with the results.

The new renders are amazing.

edited June 2014

@dana365 - thank you. Yes, adding the AH-9100 came as a second thought. Putting it nearer would have changed the scene more than I wanted. Scenic Outpost were better if I rotated things a bit to the left.

@David - looking great.

@mermaid010 - thank you. The Apophysis renders look great. It's been a while since I last used it for backgrounds. Here are two examples SpaceWeb and Cruising. I still have Apophysis version 2.06_3D.

Post edited by Horo on
    edited December 1969

Thanks Horo - It's a fun way to spend the time, using either fractal program. It doesn't require serious thinking, move a transform, change a variable or gradient and I ended up with some awesome fractals. Just like doing abstracts in Bryce, I lose tract of time.

I love the renders (the links you posted). I saw some great images online - fractals used in Bryce renders. Hopefully someone will share some ideas with us.

This discussion has been closed.