Show Us Your Bryce Renders! Part 7

Comments

• Roland4Roland4 Posts: 0
    edited August 2014

@GussNemo

It is the glorious morning my favorite sky.

Morning4.jpg
    750 x 500 - 231K
    Post edited by Roland4 on
  • StuartBStuartB Posts: 596
    edited August 2014

Nice image, and model Jay.
    I think the mistake is the V on the spine of the book.
    No biggie though.

Actually I think the word is up side down now I look again.

Post edited by StuartB on
    edited December 1969

Or maybe so?

Storm1.jpg
    750 x 500 - 343K
  • srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241
    edited December 1969

@Roland4, I don't think I want to swim in that, but interesting colors for the water and the land. Someplace very cold, or someplace very alien, or did I just forget to clean my helmet?

@mermaid010, If you want to grab part of that image and use it for an avatar, I would be honored. Let me know if you want me to re-render it larger, or minus items in the background or something, otherwise, just copy and edit the posted image to your satisfaction.

@whomeveritwasiforgothere, there actually are bubbles coming up from one of the submerged cables, however they are very hard to see against the upper ocean surface backdrop. I'll have to revisit that.

• GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

@Roland: That morning sky looks like some I've seen at 5 or 6 AM. Like its affect on the water and terrain. The second image is, different, a bit too bright and the sky doesn't work for me.

@Stuart: I had to go back and look at the book spine. Either Davinci is upside down or the 'V' and 'A' are transposed and the 'N' is backward. Being upside down would account for all three.

@Sean: I mentioned about air bubbles.

edited December 1969

@GussNemo

The second picture was actually not intentional. It is created randomly.

• GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

@Roland: Just goes to prove the Bryce program isn't an artist. :lol: Or needs glasses. :lol:

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,509
    edited August 2014

@Roland4 - Island2 with the warm sky looks very nice, so does the lake in the morning light. I'm less enthusiastic about the river, the sky looks a bit solid to me.

@David - feeling lazy is not the problem, being lazy is. Very convincing nebula your felt laziness produced. ;-P

@Jay - great modeling here and great render as well. It appears that DAVINCI is written DVAVINCI on the back of the book. By the way, the formulas on the paper make completely sense, pity part of it is hidden under the book. :coolsmile:

@mermaid010 - thank you.

@Jamie - thank you.

Post edited by Horo on
  • JamahoneyJamahoney Posts: 1,791
    edited August 2014

Heh he, Mermaid...on changing the code (btw, Apple was the original in the film - great film, too).

Cheers, Stuart...ah ha, you (and Horo above) spotted the mistake. I'd love to say it was intentional (Da Vinci himself was always including cryptic stuff like that - Mona Lisa: is she (he...ahem?) smiling, serious, or just enigmatic), but I think the spine image mapped on incorrectly ;) The word 'CODE' looks the same flipped vertically (an ambigram?).

Horo...cheers, too...I find sometimes when doing these renders that they always appear 'floaty' as the shadows don't get that little bit darker the closer an object is to a surface etc.

Thanks, Guss ;)

Jay

Post edited by Jamahoney on
  • mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 5,362
    edited August 2014

Roland4 - Island2 with the morning sky looks very nice, the 2nd one looks like a scene from a sci-fi movie.

@mermaid010, If you want to grab part of that image and use it for an avatar, I would be honored. Let me know if you want me to re-render it larger, or minus items in the background or something, otherwise, just copy and edit the posted image to your satisfaction.

Thanks Sean you are so kind. Could you do a quick render, small for an avatar (I don't know what is the size allowed here) of the mermaid sitting on a rock at the bottom of the sea. For months I have been looking for a "Free" mermaid model and did not find any. Even if I found one there is no way I can pose her as I only use Bryce and Wings 3D

My new attempts on Volumetric Clouds using David’s tutorials and a gift from Guss. :) Thanks David and Guss. After much trial and error- I found that it is very difficult to really get good clouds, unless one really knows the DTE. The camera position and sky make a lot of difference also.

Volumetric clouds, stacked terrain, and anisotropy water (again David’s tutorial), premium render 64 rpp, with only blurry reflections and soft shadows, render time 9.30 hours

Edited: I admire you guys for your patience to wait days and even weeks for a render to complete. :)

cloudsnterrains.jpg
    1000 x 500 - 31K
    Post edited by mermaid010 on
  • Electro-ElvisElectro-Elvis Posts: 867
    edited December 1969

I tried to create tropical scene. Thanks for watching.

tropical6.jpg
    1125 x 675 - 130K
  • Tim82Tim82 Posts: 859
    edited December 1969

i like the new renders everyone has posted...really great work :)

• FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,102
    edited December 1969

Agreed, some great renders.

@electro-elvis

I like that but it is a bit 'white' for me. I always put a little yellow in the sunlight as I have never seen a white sun :) I will even set it right up to full on red if I think the scene needs it.

• Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited August 2014

Took the afternoon off...

,,, Well I say "off", what I mean is I haven't done any paid work this afternoon.... Still Brycing away though and modeled this (I had to put his hands behind his back because... well he hasn't got any, they were a bit too time consuming to model in Bryce) :cheese:

Minion.jpg
    633 x 975 - 236K
    Post edited by Dave Savage on
  • David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited December 1969

I tried to create tropical scene. Thanks for watching.

Brilliant! The clarity of this render is very impressive. Textures on the rocks outstanding, water very nice. I'd say you tried and succeeded.

Mermaid, well done for sticking at the clouds! That scene has come together very nicely. They could just do with a little bit more "fluff" I think to set the sense of scale. Don't be disheartened. It took me weeks and weeks to make just one and lots of helpful feedback from fellow Brycers to keep me on track.

Dave, as ever, excellent rendering and a fun image. If I was to be critical, I'd say the transitions in the eye material could do with being a little bit sharper. But then I am splitting hairs.

In the mean time, I am looking through the libraries that Horo has put together and seeing how I might go about constructing a scene from the components. Here's one such scene.

Ts1.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 315K
  • Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited August 2014

Thanks

David: Yes, I got lazy and just used the default eyeball material from the library.
    Great space renders BTW!

Done a variation of the Minion now, but it's still got a slightly blurred eye.

MinionPunk2.jpg
    421 x 589 - 154K
    Post edited by Dave Savage on
    edited December 1969

@mermaid010 - landscape, water and sky came out great.

@electro-elvis - I like this tropical scene. Looks like noon, time to go for a swimm. Looks like a photograph. Well done.

@Dave - nice chap, Minion. Is he Dufus' handler?

@David - space scene looks great.

Here's another stacked terrain landscape, this time IsleX-Peaks.

IsleX-Peaks.jpg
    1200 x 750 - 231K
    edited December 1969

My latest mix-max. It didn't start off as this it just evolved...............again! :-)

Land of Fire.

My wife reckons it is too red so I am in the middle of a new render with the redness toned down.

fire-land-001.jpg
    1000 x 556 - 407K
    edited December 1969

Electro-Elvis- very nice scene, I like the calmness of the water.

David – thanks for the encouragement, I was feeling a bit disheartened, not any more :) For someone who does not understand the DTE, and after reading your comments, I think I did okay. The clouds need to be a bit more fluffy and there is some banding too.
    The space render is awesome. Are we going to see some new tutorials?

Dave – another nice character, your modeling ability shines once again.

Horo – thanks The IsleX-Peaks is another beautiful render. Do you use always use Hdri’s for your lighting?

Fishtales – I agree with your wife it is a bit too red.

edited December 1969

David – thanks for the encouragement, I was feeling a bit disheartened, not any more :) For someone who does not understand the DTE, and after reading your comments, I think I did okay. The clouds need to be a bit more fluffy and there is some banding too.

Aye, as time permits. Summer has been busy. I've just been out measuring up for paving slabs and fencing. And I've got someones garage roof to replace. Got to make hay while the weather permits. Come the wet and doubtless things will get a bit less hectic.

Popup_g.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 313K
    Popup_f.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 285K
    Popup_e.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 357K
    Popup_d.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 223K
    Popup_c.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 411K
    edited December 1969

Image 1 :- I changed the lighting and toned down the red.

Image 2 :- Toned it down a bit more I then went into the DTE and messed around with a couple of the terrains adding bump and displacement.

fire-land-003.jpg
    1000 x 556 - 467K
    fire-land-002.jpg
    1000 x 556 - 423K
    edited August 2014

Fishtales said:
    Image 1 :- I changed the lighting and toned down the red.

Image 2 :- Toned it down a bit more I then went into the DTE and messed around with a couple of the terrains adding bump and displacement.

The element that I would recommend concentrating on is the seeming lack of contrast. I rather liked the red version, but the contrast seems quite uniform and low across the entire image, which does tend to make the whole scene seems rather flat. Things that might cause this are... ambient channel in materials. Light sources that do not have their shadow intensities set to 100%. As an alternative to using ambient and weakened shadow casters to fill in shadow regions (asside from using more light sources/IBL or TA) a viable option which does not have a high rendering overhead is to use haze with a reasonably sharp transition between the front and the back of the image. So that foreground shadows are almost fully black and the background blends into a (red?) mist. At the risk of getting back to the same issue, it is also possible to combine this with none shadow casting hdri image (so long as it does not have a dominant light source) but this has to be done so that the hdri effect is kept to the point where it is almost unnoticeable in the foreground. Which might seem a bit pointless, but the haze interaction will bring it up over distance and make it work a bit harder further back in the scene.

Edit: Oh and sky dome... I almost forgot. That is another one that can cause issues of lack of contrast since it does not cast any shadows but only interacts with bump.

Post edited by David Brinnen on
    edited December 1969

@David

There is a Dome Light in the scene set extremely low and casting no shadows so it might be that. I will try a render with it disabled later and see what that does. I saw the lack of contrast in the rock to the right foreground but hadn't got around to doing something about it.

edited December 1969

@fishtales- nice scene so far :)
    @David- those space scene's look amazing!!!

edited December 1969

Aye, as time permits. Summer has been busy. I've just been out measuring up for paving slabs and fencing. And I've got someones garage roof to replace. Got to make hay while the weather permits. Come the wet and doubtless things will get a bit less hectic.

Sure you must make hay while the sun shines. I'm back in the DTE working with your videos on Slope, Curvature and the other filters. Another marvelous set of space renders. :)

edited December 1969

my first attempt at using Wings 3D, using David's tutorials :)

Wings_first_attemp.jpg
    1194 x 563 - 454K
    edited August 2014

@Sandy - I find it always difficult to comment on pictures that are not exactly natural. The artist is completely free to create whatever artwork he/she has in mind. I agree with David about the contrast. But if this is actually what you're after, talking about missing contrast just tells that we're wrong. To make any sensible comment we need to know what was attempted. Otherwise, we can comment that we like the render or not.

@mermaid010 - thank you.

@David - there come the variations. Really cool, difficult to decide which one I like best. Definitely the most intriguing is the lava planet. I very much like how different parts are used to complement and enhance them.

@Tim Bateman - we did those cube some time ago. Your results are really good. It appears that you've already got the hang of Wings3D.

Post edited by Horo on
    edited December 1969

Horo said:
    @Sandy - I find it always difficult to comment on pictures that are not exactly natural. The artist is completely free to create whatever artwork he/she has in mind. I agree with David about the contrast. But if this is actually what you're after, talking about missing contrast just tells that we're wrong. To make any sensible comment we need to know what was attempted. Otherwise, we can comment that we like the render or not.

@mermaid010 - thank you.

@David - there come the variations. Really cool, difficult to decide which one I like best. Definitely the most intriguing is the lava planet. I very much like how different parts are used to complement and enhance them.

@Tim Bateman - we did those cube some time ago. Your results are really good. It appears that you've already got the hang of Wings3D.

Yes, Horo makes a good point about the artists intention. I presume too much, because I absently think that everyone has a similar aesthetic perspective to my own.

Great work on the cubes Tim and thank you for your kind remarks posted on my latest Wings 3D video.
    Wings 3D - Space Invader - by David Brinnen

Here are some more variants. Yesterday I spent my time reviewing the content, today I've been putting it through its paces and solving some of the challenges that composting a scene from these building blocks will present. Nothing too harrowing as it happens. My next step will be to document my observations and make some guides to suggest means of making the most of what is supplied.

If any of the images remind you of images you might find on the web by typing the word "space" into google images. Let me tell you that is not a co-incidence! In space I really have no clue as to artistic direction. Individual elements I can understand but what constitutes a space "scene" is somewhat opaque.

Popup_j.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 427K
    Popup_i.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 287K
    Popup_h.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 333K
    edited December 1969

@Horo - No comment is the wrong comment as long as it is constructive criticism. I take on board the comments and either use them to get a better image or ignore them because, as you say, it may not be what I am trying to achieve. At the present moment these renders are all test renders as far as I am concerned. I try out different techniques with each one or return to one that I want to learn more about. I know what David was meaning by a lack of contrast. Being an amateur photographer I know that sharpness and contrast can make an image look real or flat. I have images of the Scottish Highlands on my website that I spent a lot of time in Photoshop getting the best from them as they were really low in contrast because of low cloud and mist, everything just looked grey :) As an aside because of these renders and comments I have just found out how to make better quality renders while trying to get the contrast right :)

edited December 1969

Final render as I am sure you are all fed up looking at it :)

fire-land-008.jpg
    1000 x 556 - 483K
This discussion has been closed.