Show Us Your Bryce Renders! Part 7

Comments

• Roland4Roland4 Posts: 0
    edited September 2014

The first picture shows the settings and the second image shows the result. I added an additional light source and placed it on the right side from the camera. Without the additional light source the glass is to dark.

Glass3.jpg
    500 x 750 - 411K
    Glass3Setting.jpg
    631 x 532 - 354K
    Post edited by Roland4 on
  • GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

@Jay: Darn, I didn't compliment you on your latest scene. Though I'm not to keen on the sky--as if I should talk. :lol:

@Roland: David has made a few videos covering making glass, and talks about the darkness of the glass.

The RW had me tied up for some time so I hadn't done any Brycing for a while. David's Space Invader Wings 3d tutorial gave me an idea and the image below is the results. I'd never tried this type image using just a star field, but it's not a bad start. Any comments or suggestions gladly welcomed.

Space_Invader_Scene_5.png
    1080 x 810 - 192K
    edited December 1969

Thanks GussNemo, but in the moment i can not look videos, bacause in moment i only have a usb internet stick with 5 GB / month. If i look video the stick is unusesable after one week. But i will have your tips in the mind.

• JamahoneyJamahoney Posts: 1,791
    edited September 2014

Cheers, Guss...yeah, sky normal-ly...B O R I N G, and yacht, I guess, should be smaller - to scale-to-suit.

Any comments or suggestions gladly welcomed

All I can suggest is LMB, Dodge, RB, slide/LB, then shoot-combine Dodge, and finally SPLODGE (note, all must be done within 0.003455 seconds, else, lost). And if that makes sense, you're a better player than I am ;-P

Jay

Post edited by Jamahoney on
  • Tim82Tim82 Posts: 859
    edited December 1969

attempt number 2 at using wings 3D and following David's tutorial, it also gave me another great chance to use a bit more of David & Horo's metals pack :)

twisted_cube_test_1.jpg
    1194 x 563 - 417K
    edited September 2014

@Roland4- try setting the Quality to 16, Saturation to 100, intensity to about 10-20, Specularity to 0, and the HDRI effect to about 25-30 ...i hope this helps :)

Post edited by Tim82 on
    edited September 2014

@Tim Bateman

I have use your settings and this is the result. I have delete the additional light source. It is to dark.

Glass3a.jpg
    500 x 750 - 371K
    edited September 2014

@Jay: Don't you mean joystick left, button, joystick right, button button, repeat as often as necessary?:lol:

@Roland: I just watched part of a video about glass, try raising the Maximum Ray Depth (MRD) in the render window. In the video David showed that a low MRD didn't all enough rays to pass through the material, as did a higher setting.

@Tim Bateman: You're getting nice results.

Post edited by GussNemo on
    edited December 1969

I give up (for the moment).

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,509
    edited September 2014

@Roland4 - thanks for the screenshot. First, set preview at right in the IBL tab to Render in Scene (down arrow) because that helps you adjusting the values. You have Pitch low which means that the sun is near or below the horizon and you only get ambient light. The screen shots at left show a simple glass vase light by such a setting and at right when pitch is at 90 degrees to have the sky above the horizon. You'll notice that you get weaker light out of the HDRI but on the plus side more ambient light.

What you cannot see is that I've enabled Apply to light source at right of Intensity. This is to get enough specularity out of the HDRI. HDRI Effect has now too much light, so I used Linear Falloff at a Radius of 100 to compensate for that.

The vase I cobbled together with two spheres and a torus has the material shown below. Glass is transparent and specularity gives the gloss. Refraction makes it reflective without using reflection.

If you cannot watch videos because of Internet bandwidth, I have transcripts of some of them as PDF documents on my website (see sig). Go to Bryce Documents > Videos > Horo. There are links to the videos and also links Transcripts.

HDRsetting3.jpg
    634 x 500 - 46K
    HDRsetting2.jpg
    1200 x 600 - 76K
    HDRsetting1.jpg
    1250 x 530 - 147K
    Post edited by Horo on
    edited December 1969

@Jamie - reminds me of games we played in the DOS times.

@Tim Bateman - looking really very nice.

• FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,102
    edited December 1969

More experimenting from me.

I tried using Horo's 'creating a terrain by using different resolutions' method. I had a great terrain and foam but Bryce crashed, not for the first time, and I lost it and all the settings. This is another try but the foam isn't as good as the last time but I am getting there. I remembered to save everything this time too :) I haven't bothered about lighting and the sky is the only thing I changed, and I don't like the horizon but as I am experimenting with other things I'm not really bothered at the moment.

archipelago-001.jpg
    1000 x 556 - 478K
  • mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 5,362
    edited December 1969

Roland-very nice renders. Horo has helped with the tree in the bowl, give it another shot.

David- thanks for the new tutorials

Jay – cool job with the stacked terrains, not sure about the sky

Horo- thanks, you are correct Sean is my hero. Love the IsleX-beach render. Thanks also for all the detailed information you are posting for Roland, very helpful to me too :)

Tim Bateman – You are getting nice results with Wings 3D

Guss- Cool game, I agree with Jay some buttons are missing. I don’t think anyone plays video games with joysticks today. ;)

Fishtales- nice experiment. Saving all the time is the lesson I learnt from Bryce crashes.

edited December 1969

@Horo

Thanks for your sreenshots and explanations. If i have make it, i will show the results here.

• StuartBStuartB Posts: 596
    edited December 1969

Why So Many Shadows.

Why is it that if I use a standard Bryce Sky I get 1 shadow from
    an object when the sun shines on it, like in real life.

But when using an HDRI for IBL I get loads. The HDRI image is a sky with 1 sun and clouds.

Even with everything in the Sky lab switched off, apart from Sun/Moon Shadows in Sun & Moon section,
    and the Cast Shadows in the IBL section. If they are switched off I get no shadows at all.

I thought IBL was supposed to give a more realistic lighting effect to a scene.

Untitled_4.jpg
    639 x 540 - 119K
    Untitled_3.jpg
    640 x 542 - 111K
    Untitled_2.jpg
    640 x 542 - 116K
    Untitled_1.jpg
    640 x 542 - 118K
    Untitled_6.jpg
    873 x 456 - 114K
    edited September 2014

Sorry but HDRI / IBL is too heavy for me (in the moment). I have found a very good compromise between beautiful appearance and lower render time (40 minutes) without HDRI and i am more than satisfied with the result. I call this render ´My little tree`

Glass5.jpg
    500 x 750 - 338K
    Glass3c.jpg
    500 x 750 - 306K
  • Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited December 1969

StuartB4 said:
    Why So Many Shadows.

Why is it that if I use a standard Bryce Sky I get 1 shadow from
    an object when the sun shines on it, like in real life.

But when using an HDRI for IBL I get loads. The HDRI image is a sky with 1 sun and clouds.

IBL simulates real lighting, it doesn't reproduce it exactly. The HDR has several points of light... Or several really bright parts which act as lights and cast shadows. The easiest way to solve the problem is to set the soft shadows to full and they usually diffuse enough to not show.
    edited December 1969

@Sandy - the archipelago looks quite nice.

@StuartB4 - an HDRI is a sphere with point light sources. What you see is an image, Bryce sees the point light sources that are generated by the median-cut algorithm. Quality 16 means there are 16 lights. Actually, the HDRI is divided into 16 rectangles with a light in each of them. If quality is at 4096, the HDRI is divided into 4096 rectangles. Brighter parts have smaller rectangles and nearer together, less bright ones larger rectangles with a point light source in the centre. By the way, there are means to make those light sources visible using specularity, but it's tricky.

Now multiple shadows become clear. The sun is one point light source and therefore, there is only one shadow. If you use soft shadows, this point light source is slightly displaced several times depending on the quality setting.

Assuming a fully white HDRI and rendering a cube on an infinite ground plane with quality 16 there will be 8 light sources around the cube that cast shadows. The other 8 are below the ground plane and if Cast Shadows for it is not disabled, none of those lights can shine up.

Multiple shadows are a disadvantage of IBL and also of dome- and fill lights. Increase quality and you get more but fainter and less offending shadows but even more and eventually they blur into each other. That won't happen at 4096, it would need yet more light sources.

People using more expensive software than Bryce is use motion blur as post processing (done in the program) to blur the multiple shadows.

What we mostly do is disabling IBL shadows and keep the sun as key light with casting shadows. This gives you nice ambient light without shadow banding and renders very fast, besides. IBL shadows need time to render and the higher the quality setting (i.e. lights), the more shadows have to be calculated and that needs time.

@Roland4 - I like the left one more, but both are nice. Though I'm a great fan of IBL, it is not always the best lighting method.

edited December 1969

another little experiment :) .... also, I am wondering if some one can help me out with something ? ....I have seen a lot of the "Golden Lighting" pack ....but can not find it any where, any help with this would be greatly appreciated :)

photo_real_test_1.jpg
    1194 x 563 - 334K
    edited December 1969

@Bateman

Is this real or a render ? I can see no difference. Very nice !

edited September 2014

Horo said:
    @Roland4 - I like the left one more, but both are nice. Though I'm a great fan of IBL, it is not always the best lighting method.

Well Horo, if you like the Left more, this is now for you. For your help and explanations. (Obviously I have today the intelligence of a potato.)

Glass3d.jpg
    500 x 750 - 270K
    edited December 1969

@Tim Bateman - outstanding render! Haven't you asked about Golden Lighting before? It was David Brinnen and my Xmas 2013 present to the Bryce community. DAZ 3D hosted it in our stores as a free product during the season. We asked to put it back into the store in the second half of January 2014 for free (like the Golden Rules). However, it never appeared. I'll ask whether they could put it back. I'll send you a PM once I have news.

@Roland4 - thank you very much. First time I've had dealings with an intelligent potato. ;-P

• StuartBStuartB Posts: 596
    edited December 1969

Thanks very much TheSavage64 and Horo.
    Easier to understand now.

edited December 1969

@Horo - yes your right i have asked before about that pack, but as you have said so far nothing has shown up :( ....but thank you for the help in trying to get it back up in the list's ...i really appreciate that a lot thank you :)

@Roland4- yes its just a render, good HDRI lighting with the right material can do amazing things in bryce :)

edited December 1969

@Sandy: That's a nice looking experiment.

@Roland: Whichever one you go with, the tree in a vase is a real nice image.

@Tim Bateman: I'm with Roland, hard to tell that knight on horseback is a rendered image.

• FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,102
    edited December 1969

@Horo and GussNemo -- Thank you.

As I didn't like the horizon I lowered the camera angle and decided, as I had lots of sky to play with, to try out the Sky Lab.

This is probably the best of a lot of trial and error :)

It's all learning though :)

archipelago-002.jpg
    1000 x 556 - 331K
  • Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited September 2014

This started off or at least was going to be something else, but when I'd created the terrain, it looked like a good one to "stack".... so I did.

Now I'll get on with what I was going to do originally.

StackedTerrain5.jpg
    1111 x 650 - 354K
    Post edited by Dave Savage on
    edited December 1969

@Fishtales / TheSavage64

Very nice, i love these landscapes.

edited December 1969

@Sandy: That's a really nice test image. Changing the sky and adding the sun really changed the atmosphere.

@Dave: Love that scene. The water really pulls it all together.

edited December 1969

@Tim Bateman - Golden Lighting will re-appear, though it'll take a while because I'll have to re-submit it and it takes a while to go through the QA process and everything.

@Sandy - nice sunset (or sun rise).

@Dave - that terrain came out great. Mordor, isn't it?

This discussion has been closed.