Show Us Your Bryce Renders! Part 7

Comments

• Tim82Tim82 Posts: 859
    edited December 1969

@horo- thanks :) ...I have been told I am a fast learner...but yes I am very happy with the results :)

@David- your welcome for the comments, also the new space scene's are amazing....the last one would have to be my favourite though :)

• Roland4Roland4 Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

A little morning mood.

Seashore3.jpg
    750 x 500 - 215K
  • srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241
    edited August 2014

Could you do a quick render, small for an avatar (I don't know what is the size allowed here) of the mermaid sitting on a rock at the bottom of the sea.
    Ok, render completed, here is a preliminary version. One problem I see, the max thumbnail size is 100x100, and when shrunk down to that size, it's almost impossible to see. Ideas?
    EDITED TO ADD: crud, I must have bumped the camera angle, I see a gap at the waist that was supposed to be hidden by the arm. I never figured out how to transfer that particular figure/tail combo over to Bryce perfectly; while it seems fine in DS, when sent to Bryce the figure's legs become unhidden, and when deleted, there's a gap. I'll correct that with a slight camera position change in the next render along with whatever other changes you decide you want.

In space I really have no clue as to artistic direction. Individual elements I can understand but what constitutes a space “scene” is somewhat opaque.

I think your scenes are great. Only thing I might suggest, only if you agree, is to make those four larger central asteroids in that middle astroid field a bit less rectangular?
    What constitutes a space scene would really depend on whomever is putting it together, same as any other scene. One person might put together an exploratory mission, some might try for an alien scene, some might want to add a space battle, another might put together, some might be a big Star Trek or other movie/series fan and just use it as a backdrop for ships or the view outside a window framing an interior shot for their theme, some might do a space "landscape" (which I think your bottom captures quite well), many will probably do something totally unexpected with it. It could really be anything at all.
    mermaid_test_100_pixels.png
    83 x 100 - 19K
    mermaid_test_larger.png
    506 x 607 - 595K
    Post edited by sriesch on
  • GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited August 2014

@mermaid: I think you've got splendid results with that image. Especially, well, everything.

@electro: Looks like a tropical place to me. Rock textures are great, as are the clouds which could mean a blow in on its way.

@Dave: Characters are really cute.

@David: Your recent space scenes are a sight to behold. Very colorful. Space invader video is great, as always. Thanks for the work.

@Horo: Nice work with the IsleX scene.

@Sandy: Interesting watching the transformation to the final scene. Nice results.

@Tim Bateman: Really nice results from David's video. Nice choice of colors.

@Sean: Neat image. I had to look closely to see the gap. Can't offer any suggestions for the thumbnail, though it too looks nice.

Post edited by GussNemo on
  • CTippettsCTippetts Posts: 162
    edited December 1969

WOW! I stepped away at about page 73 of this thread, and it took me almost 2 hours to get to this page. I don't want to make a long post here, (but I'm going to anyway), so let me just tell you all that I stared and stared at EVERY image between here and there. Every one was interesting, beautiful, awe inspiring, riveting, breath taking, or, all of the above. Please don't be offended if I don't do a personal nod at you. Just go back and read what everyone had to say about what you did. I second it.

@Roland4 - You convinced me I need to use Glorious Morning for something soon. Probably should have for this one.

Mr Wernli and Mr. Brinnen; this image, (done using Bryce 5.5), would not have been anything without you two. This is my offering of the multi-resolution stacked terrain method. No where near as effective as everyone else', but I needed to put something up here for other viewers to compare to them and realize how good the other ones here are. Of course, Mr. Wernli, yours guide us.

For beach wake, I was going to try Mr. Brinnen's method of an inverted and sunk terrain, but had one of those happy accidents along the way. In this case the wake is the Infinite Plane, and the darker water is the inverted terrain. I accidentally got them confused while adding material. After a few minutes of "why is this going up instead of down", I accidentally landed the inverted terrain in the spot it is here, and realized my mistake. However I looked and said, "What the...?", and kept it.

The videos you two produced were not ignored, yet I did only apply the basics from them. I did not do all the work with the materials you glided through so nicely. Every material here, including the cloud plane, is "right out of the box", EXCEPT a scaling of the dark water, and the mud flows. No color changes, no frequency tweaks, no additions nor subtractions. I suppose I should have tweaked the cloud plane, but, when I saw how its shadows helped the image, I didn't want to lose that. Okay ... it was laziness.

I did, however, "geo-craft" the first planetary scale terrain that I copied into the lower resolution terrains. I now know how to use the Paint Effect brush, thanks to that video. Thank you for that, too. Even found the Un-paint Effect brush useful here, when a second Undo wasn't possible. I found Blob Maker difficult, and only useful on the right half of the screen. Odd tool. Like in the video, the original fractal generated, and the finished terrain were miles apart from each other.

All of you artists humble me like no place else. Keep that up, and I'll keep putting up stuff that makes yours look better.

MultiResolutionLayers1.jpg
    1760 x 922 - 991K
  • mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 5,362
    edited August 2014

Tim Bateman – nice cubes for your first try using Wings 3D

David – another awesome set of space renders

Fishtales- the final result looks nice.

Sean- Thanks a zillion; I love it as it is and will add it to my profile after this post. Don't worry about the gap is not noticeable in the 100x100.

CTippetts – you posting nice renders using 5.5, you are going to post awesome ones once you get the 7.1 pro

Edited: I don't know where to add the avatar to my profile. :( Help!

Edited: Found it it's up. thanks Sean :)

Post edited by mermaid010 on
    edited December 1969

This time in the night.

Night2.jpg
    750 x 500 - 296K
  • mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 5,362
    edited December 1969

Guss- Thanks for your comment on the terrain/cloud render and all your help

Roland - you are getting some nice results, are you just using preset skies

edited August 2014

Yes i use preset skys, but with additional lights, one (most blue) in the background and one (most red) in the foreground. This gives a better contrast between the back and front.

Post edited by Roland4 on
  • David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited December 1969

Revision with added "Dan's fog" and reduced number of square stones.

P60_example_scene9.jpg
    654 x 850 - 157K
    edited August 2014

But I can something like this.

Art2.jpg
    750 x 500 - 246K
    Art1.jpg
    750 x 500 - 230K
    edited August 2014

I did this, Bryce quick scene project - plane and terrain - by David Brinnen

I thought it might be useful knowledge for those interested in landscapes.

Edit and another something which relates to Horo and mines current project we are working on. I've created a new playlist of this. Make an additive background image for example scene 1 - by David Brinnen

Bryce_quick_two_1.jpg
    1511 x 850 - 471K
    Post edited by David Brinnen on
    edited December 1969

@Roland: First latest image is interesting, second two really catches my fancy.

@David: Two more really nice videos. In your nebula scene, the foreground rocks seem rather smooth, too smooth really if they've been roaming space. Loved the quick results you got with the terrain. Especially the water. Have I ever mentioned I'm easily impressed? :cheese:

• FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,102
    edited December 1969

I thought I should render some terrains and see what I can do with the DTE :)

I followed one of Horo's videos where he created a terrain starting from low resolution and working up to 2048. I then added a texture, Altitude Snow I think, and messed it up with the texture editor and added colour. I added a water plane although I had zoomed in on the cleft that had appeared in the terrain.

Image 1.

I recognised the view and realised it looked just like Corrie Raibert behind Cairngorm, sixth highest mountain in the UK.

Image 2 is my mate sitting at the bottom of it :)

I zoomed out to show the water plane and added one of my own textures to it.

Image 3

snow-valley-002.jpg
    1000 x 562 - 600K
    20070629-cairngorm-008.jpg
    792 x 595 - 189K
    snow-valley-001.jpg
    1000 x 562 - 494K
    edited December 1969

Now with added bump for Jamie. And another video for anyone that cares to view Make an additive background image for example scene 2 - by David Brinnen

Popup_i.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 326K
  • HoroHoro Posts: 10,509
    edited December 1969

@mermaid010 - great mermaid!

@Roland4 - red in red. Very nice looking island scene, also the night view. Nice shapes, too.

@Sean Riesch - you're now mermaids's hero, I reckon.

@CTippetts - Don't feel humbled. Just keep it up, you're well on your way.

@Sandy - interesting looking terrains.

• Miss BMiss B Posts: 3,071
    edited August 2014

Jamahoney said:
    Ok, so I got this cryptex as a present, and, of course, puzzled by the code. Tried B-R-Y-C-E just on the off-chance, and...phew, it opened.

Read the message inside and...jeeesssh...it doesn’t look good. Let’s just say, it’s been good knowing all you Brycers ;)

Btw...anyone remember the code used in the film...ah, ah...no looking it up on the ‘net.

Jay
    Cryptex, inkwell modelled in Bryce
    PS. Spot the mistake

Nicely done Jay. I believe the "mistake" is DaVinci's name on the binding. Looks like the letters are either upside down or backwards . . . or perhaps both? Or possibly not in the right order??
    Post edited by Miss B on
    edited December 1969

@David: Awww...you shouldn't have. ;-) Now they look like they've encountered other objects flying through space. Watching your newest video, another fine one by the way, I realize the same technique could be used with volumetric clouds, as long as they're in their final position. Well, actually, anything which causes long render times. As long as they aren't to be moved.

• JamahoneyJamahoney Posts: 1,791
    edited December 1969

Thanks, Miss B...and, yep, you spotted it (though I didn't intentionally do it, I'm suspecting some sort of cryptic manifestation from DaVinci's grave reached out and changed it :snake: )

Tried the 'stacked terrains' technique...very cool idea (cheers to Horo and David).

Jay

StackedTerrain.jpg
    1200 x 598 - 713K
    edited December 1969

Horo said:
    @mermaid010 - great mermaid!

@Roland4 - red in red. Very nice looking island scene, also the night view. Nice shapes, too.

@Sean Riesch - you're now mermaids's hero, I reckon.

@CTippetts - Don't feel humbled. Just keep it up, you're well on your way.

@Sandy - interesting looking terrains.

The art pictures are make with metaballs from bryce.

edited December 1969

@Jay - thank you. Your render shows that you successfully employed the technique.

I'm also a great fan of this and have here another example with three stacked ones: IsleX-Beach.

IsleX-Beach.jpg
    1200 x 668 - 134K
    edited September 2014

@Horo

What you say about this picture ? http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewreply/670966/

For a very very long time i have not use HDRI and i have forget how i must use it. I tryed it but the render time is very very high.

edited September 2014

@Horo

A very great panorama from you. http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewreply/671109/

edited December 1969

@Roland4 - the tree in the glass vase looks great. IBL is easy to use. If you have the HDRI set to cast shadows, use a high quality and additionally enable soft IBL shadows, you're indeed in for a long render time. In a nutshell, I see 3 uses of IBL:

1. RNL (render with natural light). Here, you'll use an HDRI with a prominent light source in it, the sun or lamps in an indoor. It's the trickiest to set up and usually also the longest to render.

2. Backdrop. Use the HDRI panorama as backdrop for your scene. An HDRI is better than the camera in a sphere with an LDRI panorama if you want the reflections of the light on the objects. No HDRI Effect (no light from the HDRI) is needed, you use just the backdrop and render time is short.

3. Anbient light. Here, you want to use an HDRI without a prominent light source. You provide the key light with the Bryce sun or a radial (or several light sources). In this case, you can use or not use the HDRI as backdrop, and you'll switch off IBL shadows. This renders swift.

Thank you for your comment on the above render. The sun is the main light source, the sky is an HDRI with the sun removed. It provides the backdrop (clouds) and the ambient light to brighten up the shadows. It rendered 1600 x 1067 pixels in 6 minutes at IBL quality 64.

edited September 2014

@Horo

What must i do, if i only want use the HDRI image to have reflections on the glass ?

It looks as if the reflections would be just at the backside of the glass. Where the glass is green, I can not see any reflections.

edited December 1969

@Roland4 - that the glass must be reflective you know. If you are looking for strong and bright reflections from light sources, you may also give the glass some specularity.
    Enable "Use as backdrop" and adjust the brightness of the backdrop with Intensity. If the HDRI is not directly visible in the render but only as reflection, you can move up Intensity to suit the purpose. If it is visible, you have to find a compromise. Do not tone-map the HDRI so you have the high contrast also in the reflection. To get specularity from the HDRI, Intensity must be set high, even "Apply to light source" (arrow right of Intensity) may be enabled. It is a multiplier for IBL Specular and HDR Effect.

Generally, Intensity controls the brightness of the backdrop. HDRI Effect the brightness of the light source. Saturation changes the colour saturation of the light generated, not the backdrop. Quality is the number of point light sources generated from the HDRI. Depending on which mode you set for the backdrop, Transparency mixes the backdrop with the Bryce sky.

If light generated from the HDRI is too bright and you have to set HDRI Effect to very low values like 0.01 or so, Falloff can be used to make the light less bright and you can fine adjust it with Radius. Though you won't need light from the HDRI just for reflection (HDRI Effect = 0.00).

Tonemap: an HDRI cannot be displayed on the display. What you see is a linear tone-mapped representation. Tone-map engages Erik Reinhart's photographic operator and the backdrop looks more natural but also lower contrast.

Cast Shadows, well casts shadows. Sun/Moon Shadows is still the master control that should be at 100 all the time. Soft shadows is only applied to the IBL light sources. You find such a control for the sun and all conventional light sources. Very long renders will result.

Specular map creates a blurred HDRI, if the control (Phong exponent) is set to 1, the HDRI will be diffuse convolved, if it is set higher, specular convolved. The higher the Phong exponent (max 100) the less the HDRI is blurred. This can make very nice blury backdrops and if strong lights are in the HDRI, very nice reflections, too.

Background DOF works with camera DOF. It helps to adjust the distant blur effect so it matches the camera DOF setting for the scene.

edited December 1969

Thank you Horo, i will try it and have give all the objects the same settings without colors. Rendertime is 35 minutes.

edited December 1969

@Horo: IsleX-Beach is nice looking, except for a couple of questions. Shouldn't the faces of the clouds that face the sun be as bright as the beach? And shouldn't the right side terrain face facing the sun be as bright as the beach? Just curious.

edited December 1969

It looks as if the reflections are now so strong that I could hardly see my beautiful tree.

• Tim82Tim82 Posts: 859
    edited December 1969

@ Horo - thats a very nice looking scene, great work :)

This discussion has been closed.