Inspirational Animated Movies and Videos

Comments

• chickenmanchickenman Posts: 1,202

My daughter has it for here course and it is very useful for things like perspective she will set up her line art in it then take it into photoshop to finnish.

It is also able to take in 3d OBJs as well which I think is interesting.

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326

My daughter has it for here course and it is very useful for things like perspective she will set up her line art in it then take it into photoshop to finnish.

It is also able to take in 3d OBJs as well which I think is interesting.

Yeah... me too! Man, your Daughter is getting skilled in every darned thing, isn't she? She seems really cool. You must be proud!

• VyusurVyusur Posts: 2,235

On watching trailers I could conclude that "Ghost in the Shell" is a remake and remix cocktail of Matrix, Fifth Element and Kill Bill all in one.

• One for today:

Enjoy smiley

Not sure why... having an impossible time trying to make it through Motherland. It keeps getting stuck. Powerful, what I've seen of it so far. Is it supposed to be entirely without sound, or is that also part of the issue I'm having with Vimeo?

Wow! Motherland still only goes a little way before stopping. Just unwatchable.

Un Conte... oh man! I'm going to have nightmares! 

Wow! "Hum" is awesome!

Nice Dartanbeck,

love the twist at the end of 850 meters.

Right? Makes one wonder how the series based on it could possibly be?

• I watched "Dragonslayer" the Walt Disney 1981  movie a coupe of weeks ago. I dug up an old copy for relatives that had not seen.  They were awed..What a good fantasy flick.   Compared to what I have seen today with all the 3D advances, I would sooner watch this  one. The story was excellent, it had humor, and romance twist.   With the dragon in the cave..I couldn't help thinking of Darts short.

Anyway, the tralier is on U-tube, but I could not think of a way to link it.  It is also very blurry.....too bad.

Starboard

• chickenmanchickenman Posts: 1,202

That is the thing about the older movies they had to rely on good storytelling and not the CG so that drove a lot of good script writing.

edited February 2017

I own that movie, and love it!

In my new Masters of FX book, I'm finding that CG has been around and has been used for a LOT longer than I ever realized. The thing is that much of it was so new that it had to earn its way in before anyone would allow its use in their film.

That got me to remember back. 

I remember that, since we learned that CG existed, but were completely unknowledgeable about what it entailed, folks would make comments like: "Wow, that was really cool" - "Yeah, but they just used CG" in such a manner that took the credit away from how impossibily difficult a job CG truly was. So many people, at least around here, thought of it as a simple push-button thing.

In my constant push toward realizing my goal, I am learning more and more how difficult a job it can be to come up with a really great story. It's hard. Even if the story is awesome, to put it on screen for a human audience, it has to have impecable timing and all manner of way to please not only the conscious mind, but the subconscious as well - or folks just won't appreciate it - or even enjoy it.

That's the biggest reason for Hollywood's need to have formulae to follow. There are people who make a living as professional readers, whom must decide whether or not a submitted screenplay gets seen by the people who decide whether to buy it or not. Proper formatting is not the only thing that they look for. If the writer can capture the interest of the reader early enough, the proper formatting becomes much less important. But if it's too far off, it may never get read in the first place.

My story keeps changing. I was so excited when I completed my first screenplay simply because it was an amazing feat to actually get a good sense of pacing and reaching a good ending point in a perfect amount of time. But it didn't stand up to the test of time. I made sure to set it down and let it settle as I worked toward learning more VFX techniques. When I came back to read it again... I didn't like the beginning, the middle, or the end.

As instructed, I'll not throw it away. I have to keep it and learn from it. Several new versions have been worked on since. It's the absolute hardest part. But I'm talking about me - all by myself. Hollywood should have no excuse. Professional writers, readers, Directors and Producers, Art departments... the whole pipeline... it's their business. They HAVE to get it right or pay the price, right?

Post edited by Dartanbeck on
  • Here is another one:

Cheers smiley

• One more for today (done in Processingsmiley

• Steve KSteve K Posts: 3,226

... I didn't like the beginning, the middle, or the end.

But other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how was the show?  (Reminds me of the baseball manager who said "We can't win at home, we can't win on the road.  I don't know where else we can play.")

Hollywood should have no excuse. Professional writers, readers, Directors and Producers, Art departments... the whole pipeline... it's their business. They HAVE to get it right or pay the price, right?

I dunno, seems to be lots of bad movies coming out, a lot seem to have trouble from the screenplay on IMHO (big exception: Coen Bros.).   I've pretty much switched over to TV series, like "Fargo", "The Wire", "Rome", "Mr. Robot", etc.  I took a screenplay course long ago, and asked the instructor what screenplay was considered tops by pro writers.  She suggested "Witness" (1985), a good story I admit (Ebert gave it 4 stars out of 4, got an Oscar for the writing).  I always liked "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid", screenplay by William Goldman who got an Oscar for it.  Ebert didn't care for it, a rare instance where we disagree.  

Here is another one:

One more for today (done in Processingsmiley

Wow, Cool!

Steve K said:

... I didn't like the beginning, the middle, or the end.

But other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how was the show?  (Reminds me of the baseball manager who said "We can't win at home, we can't win on the road.  I don't know where else we can play.")

Right. Fold the page corners together and move past them.

Steve K said:

Hollywood should have no excuse. Professional writers, readers, Directors and Producers, Art departments... the whole pipeline... it's their business. They HAVE to get it right or pay the price, right?

I dunno, seems to be lots of bad movies coming out, a lot seem to have trouble from the screenplay on IMHO (big exception: Coen Bros.).   I've pretty much switched over to TV series, like "Fargo", "The Wire", "Rome", "Mr. Robot", etc.  I took a screenplay course long ago, and asked the instructor what screenplay was considered tops by pro writers.  She suggested "Witness" (1985), a good story I admit (Ebert gave it 4 stars out of 4, got an Oscar for the writing).  I always liked "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid", screenplay by William Goldman who got an Oscar for it.  Ebert didn't care for it, a rare instance where we disagree.  

Right. They've added more decision-makers to the pipelne. People who use words like Demographics and such. But we also have to consider that, all movies can't be made to be "Great" for any one audience. Many of the movies that some folks concider to be Great are a boring waste of time to someone wierd, like me. 

There is a lot of bad criticism about the Star Wars Prequels, and I understand what they're saying - to a point. But I love them, and think they did a great job making them. I also love the recent onslaught of superhero movies and TV shows... Love 'em! 

• edited February 2017

Boojum grins and waves.  "Here is one of the inspirational animations that I watch while I'm working on stuff...  and it embodies the sort of animation I want to be able to do."

Post edited by Boojum the brown bunny on
  •      "And this is another one that I watch over and over.  It is the intro to one of the Final Fantasies put to different music, followed by a bunch of other game cut scenes."   The bunny adds.

Agreed! Fan-Freaking-Tastic! Love the music too!

Let's Do This!!!

• magaremotomagaremoto Posts: 1,226

Platige (?!)  and dozens of guys and huge budgets and hundreds of cores and many tools used

Platige (?!)  and dozens of guys and huge budgets and hundreds of cores and many tools used

Yes. many folks just on post effects alone! 

For my thing, since I really want to start cranking them out, I'm going for a quasi-finished, but hopefully really cool sort of effect - a fine blend of in-render effects and visual effects techniques. I'm ready, I feel... so I have begun setting things up, saving, storing, and rendering. We'll see how far I can take this.

That last animated render you've shown us (below) really got me wanting to join in! Maybe we can all get enough stuff together for a new Carrara Demo Reel? I'm really pumped for this!

edited February 2017

Can I refuse your invitation the day of your birthday? laugh consider my yes a little gift even if the goal (carrara demo reel) scares me (won't you please find a dozen of carrarists to join in? blush)

about my clip, currently I've been rendering the 44th second, dunno when I'm going to finish, too much fun (I bet it will come to an end when I'll put HF's sceneries in)

following is the track I've chosen for my fly-through, please tell me if you like the genre

https://iqu.ca/1/?41965FC2EC45

Post edited by magaremoto on

Yeah... that works! I'm not personally into Hip Hop, but I do like this one and it has a great beat for your fly-throughs! Very good!

edited February 2017

yes I feel the same way about it but I should take the amount of frames up to 50 per second or even more

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,144

I'd be happy to contribute to a new Carrara demo reel - nice idea!

edited February 2017

surprise things gettin serious....yessmiley

possibly I'd rather call it 'carrara show reel' to avoid confusions with the previous demo reel

we need an art director all of sudden laugh

edit to add where to find the soundtrack mentioned before; here:

Sweet!

I'll let evilproducer know... he's busy with play theater right now, but I'm sure he'll have or make some nice stuff to contribute.

Maybe tomorrow or something we can start a new thread about it. 

And like the previous one, we won't make it strictly animated work. Still images work great to help show off what Carrara can do as well. Maybe see if NASSOS has some clips he might wish to add... etc.,

I would love to do the actual reel assembly, if that would be okay. Put in some VFX to spiff it up a bit and get a copy to Daz3d for them to add to their channel, etc.,

But it would be cool to gather up all manner of things from effects tests to workflow screenshots (like modeling WIPs) to animations and still renders, etc.,

We'll ask Everybody!!! For Anything Carrara!!! I can find clever ways to tie in all manner of things in an interesting way. So... yeah... I have more rehersal tonight almost as soon as I get home I have to leave again. 

Carrara Beast is rendering as we speak - well... probably done now. But I'll have a good pile of fun to add. 

edited February 2017

well, if I were the director I would highlight only topics where carrara shines while other softwares suffer: animation - both characters and complex sceneries and all the linked implications -  and the 3 flavors of rendering - biased, unbiased and NPR

• Another animated short: "A Fox Tale"

Cheers smiley

Killer! Man, I've seen that one around for so long I actually thought I already saw it - but I didn't. 

Now that's how to use instincts to one's advantage, yes? ;)

Thanks again!

well, if I were the director I would highlight only topics where carrara shines while other softwares suffer: animation - both characters and complex sceneries and all the linked implications -  and the 3 flavors of rendering - biased, unbiased and NPR

That too... but it would also be great to show all manner of anything really good. I'll start a thread.