The completely gratuitous complaint thread

Comments

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,707

...there have been times before the total would came up on the register I would say what it was and usually be only a couple pennies off due to items sold by weight. I get the same looks sometimes.

• ArtAngelArtAngel Posts: 1,585
    TheKD said:

Is there social distancing in hell?

No. But there is in afterlife. I consider myself an expert in this dimension.

Mystiarra said:

my brother in law's mac crashed.  he's asking if i can get the photos off his hard drive.  if we put the hd in an external case with a usb connection, can win10 d/l photos off a mac drive?  thousands of his daughters baby pics.  feeling bad for hima

Yes. I had a similar issue. Tell him to remove the hardrive from the device, (installing recovery software will overwrite existing data. Store the hardrive in a manilla file folder or paper and store it in a box, until he has the tools, than he can plug it in to a different PC to restore data. I recently had a flood but will look for the hardware I used when I had same issue. The hardware is like a box with plugs that a working PC will read. You plug your drive into it. But the hardware "box" depends on the type of drive eg: sata etc. He will need some sort of tool kit and a universal drive adapter that can accomodate his drive. First you have to identify the drive. Also sometimes, depending on the drive, you can install on different PC/Mac and possibly read contents and make copies. If someone he knows has a working Mac he can connect his nonworking Mac to the working one and his should behave like a USB Eternal HardDrive. For this, he may meed a thunderbolt link or a firewire cable.

Not sure is this will help but I did recover mine by buying a part that accomodated the drive. Also just an FYI for anyone reading this who are looking to recover files they accidently put to rest in the graveyard, I have repeatedly and successfully used RECUVA to recover files I accidently delete with Shift-Delete which erase files permanently (bypasses the recycle/trash bin which is an easy recovery). 

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
    McGyver said:
    Mystiarra said:

my brother in law's mac crashed.  he's asking if i can get the photos off his hard drive.  if we put the hd in an external case with a usb connection, can win10 d/l photos off a mac drive?  thousands of his daughters baby pics.  feeling bad for hima

I think you are going to need another Mac to transfer it to an ExFat formatted auxiliary/external drive... the Mac's hard drive is probably HFS format and Windows is NTFS... ExFat is what you should format an external drive for if you go between Mac and Windows. 
    DON'T LET HIM THROW OUT THAT HARD DRIVE!

is a plot by the squirrel king to steal our baby pictures.  he prolly didnt take pictures of his own kids

ArtAngel said:
    TheKD said:

Mystiarra said:

Yes. I had a similar issue. Tell him to remove the hardrive from the device, (installing recovery software will overwrite existing data. Store the hardrive in a manilla file folder or paper and store it in a box, until he has the tools, than he can plug it in to a different PC to restore data. I recently had a flood but will look for the hardware I used when I had same issue. The hardware is like a box with plugs that a working PC will read. You plug your drive into it. But the hardware "box" depends on the type of drive eg: sata etc. He will need some sort of tool kit and a universal drive adapter that can accomodate his drive. First you have to identify the drive. Also sometimes, depending on the drive, you can install on different PC/Mac and possibly read contents and make copies. If someone he knows has a working Mac he can connect his nonworking Mac to the working one and his should behave like a USB Eternal HardDrive. For this, he may meed a thunderbolt link or a firewire cable.

Not sure is this will help but I did recover mine by buying a part that accomodated the drive. Also just an FYI for anyone reading this who are looking to recover files they accidently put to rest in the graveyard, I have repeatedly and successfully used RECUVA to recover files I accidently delete with Shift-Delete which erase files permanently (bypasses the recycle/trash bin which is an easy recovery). 

thanks.  his mac is as old as his daughter.

and i imagine  hell is a big mosh pit   or an eternal  headbanger's party  constant 9 inch nails muzik  next lavel of hell is eternal macarayna

• fred9803fred9803 Posts: 1,562

The compliant I have is that 20 years ago when I just started out putting pixels together, someone mentioned the "make-art" button that would arrage all your props and characters into lovely positions, set your lights and render settings up beautifully and guarantee your picture would get 100+ votes in the gallery.

But in each sucessive iteration of DS I fail to see this "make-art" script button... and if not.... WHY NOT? All I see is highy skilled people putting stunningly beautiful pics together by hard graft and years of practice. This situation can't be allowed to continue. Popular culture demands that even the most talentless "five minures of fame" (inherently lazy) people need their moment in the sun with little to no actual effort. A dire situation that's clearly discriminatory and needs to be rectified... immediately.

• TJohnTJohn Posts: 11,052
    kyoto kid said:

Non-complaint:  Wheee... I got out of the house today and did a trip uptown.  It still exists! surprise  I was able to get to the UPS shipping store and send my box.  Yay!  Also we went to KFC for lunch (take-out eaten in the parking lot), and a couple of grocery stores, so I got many of my essentials taken care of.  Cool. cool  And we even found ourselves at a household sale.  Gad, what a hassle.frown  Wash hands with hand sanitizer, sign guest book with phone number (for tracing purposes I guess), wait in long line in the sun to get into the limited capacity house as others leave.  I did find a cool thing though.  I found a 6 inch Pickett yellow metal sliderule in near perfect condition, complete with leather belt holster and original booklet.  I added it to my collection of sliderules.  All in all, a fun day.  Feet, knees, hips, screaming, but a good day.  Oh, and when I got home there was a package from Amazon Pantry with more groceries waiting for me on my porch.  Yay, again.smiley

...ah, we get hit by a big solar flare and those slide rules may become valuable again (still have one myself from my high school days). How many people today can still do even simple arithmetic anymore, let alone more complex forms of math without a calculator or computer as society has become so dependent on electronic and digital gadgets & gizmos?

Also still have a "portable" manual typewriter. and a couple reams of paper still unwrapped.

Imagine the panic that will set in when smartphones no longer work because al the comm satellites got fried.

I can do the simple maths still up through the simpler algebraic equations. My brother who lives with me has a masters in electrical engineering and can handle the upper level stuff, actually used to teach it. He was my tutor when I had calculus - I never used it so that's gone, LOL. 

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,300
    Mystiarra said:
    McGyver said:
    Mystiarra said:

I think you are going to need another Mac to transfer it to an ExFat formatted auxiliary/external drive... the Mac's hard drive is probably HFS format and Windows is NTFS... ExFat is what you should format an external drive for if you go between Mac and Windows. 
    DON'T LET HIM THROW OUT THAT HARD DRIVE!

is a plot by the squirrel king to steal our baby pictures.  he prolly didnt take pictures of his own kids

No relation.  I'm innocent.

TJohn said:
    kyoto kid said:

Non-complaint:  Wheee... I got out of the house today and did a trip uptown.  It still exists! surprise  I was able to get to the UPS shipping store and send my box.  Yay!  Also we went to KFC for lunch (take-out eaten in the parking lot), and a couple of grocery stores, so I got many of my essentials taken care of.  Cool. cool  And we even found ourselves at a household sale.  Gad, what a hassle.frown  Wash hands with hand sanitizer, sign guest book with phone number (for tracing purposes I guess), wait in long line in the sun to get into the limited capacity house as others leave.  I did find a cool thing though.  I found a 6 inch Pickett yellow metal sliderule in near perfect condition, complete with leather belt holster and original booklet.  I added it to my collection of sliderules.  All in all, a fun day.  Feet, knees, hips, screaming, but a good day.  Oh, and when I got home there was a package from Amazon Pantry with more groceries waiting for me on my porch.  Yay, again.smiley

...ah, we get hit by a big solar flare and those slide rules may become valuable again (still have one myself from my high school days). How many people today can still do even simple arithmetic anymore, let alone more complex forms of math without a calculator or computer as society has become so dependent on electronic and digital gadgets & gizmos?

Also still have a "portable" manual typewriter. and a couple reams of paper still unwrapped.

Imagine the panic that will set in when smartphones no longer work because al the comm satellites got fried.

I can do the simple maths still up through the simpler algebraic equations. My brother who lives with me has a masters in electrical engineering and can handle the upper level stuff, actually used to teach it. He was my tutor when I had calculus - I never used it so that's gone, LOL. 

I enjoyed the concept of calculus and some higher stuff but only played in the shallows.  I didn't want to drown.  But that's one of those skills like knowing other human languages.  Needs no hardware to maintain and makes one employable almost anywhere civilized.

Non-complaint:  Yet another Wheee, this morning.  I've broken another record in my downward weight goal.  I've again decended below the 230 pounds mark and was 228.5 today.  Progress is slow but still heading for the next goal of 225, then 220, and eventually back to a reasonable 200.  I was up to 249.5 and stayed in that vicinity for a few years but said "nope" to 250 and decided to start coming back down.  It's been a long up & down journey but I think I've found a workable food vs lifestyle arrangement.  I want to have to buy smaller pants.smiley

• TaozTaoz Posts: 9,776
    edited August 2020
    Taoz said:
    Mystiarra said:

I would be more worried about not having a backup.

Sorry, I guess that was a bit cryptic.  What I meant was that when the computer was working he could have lost his data at any time from a disk crash, because apparently he doesn't have a backup.  Now that the computer is dead his data are actually more safe since the drive isn't being used.  So less to worry about actually. 

For reading Mac drives on Windows google "read mac drives on windows", there seem to be several ways.  And make sure he makes a backup of anything important on the drive as the first thing, otherwise he will lose his data, as any drive will die sooner or later.

Post edited by Taoz on
  • TaozTaoz Posts: 9,776
    edited August 2020
    kyoto kid said:
    Taoz said:
    kyoto kid said:

Taoz said:

Some docking stations used to have problems with not recognizing WD drives though I think that was the older PATA drives (their interface is a bit (no pun intended) different than that of other brands)). 

...yeah one of my old notbooks needs a new drive.  Looked for PATA SSDs and they are expensive given the limited amount of storage they offer comared to SATA ones. I only use the noteboook for my weekly RPG sessions so I can have all my game books (PDF format), notes, various useful charts/tables, and my characters available instread of lugging around 15 - 20 kilos of books.and wasting paper printing off updated character records after each session.  Even still have the recovery disk for it (XP-Pro but I never go online with it).

You can get PATA > SATA converters but they will probably be hard to fit inside a notebook.

...yeah I already looked into that and there is no extra room for one.  Also checked the specs again and the interface is actually IDE not PATA (thouhg PATA drives are compatible with IDE) . There are only a couple PATA models available but they are expensive almost 100$ for only 64 GB (a 1 TB SATA III goes for only a little more than that).

I use the term "PATA" because it refers to the interface which is the same (though as I said WD PATA drives internally may be a bit different from other brands which some docking station manufacturers have overlooked):

http://www.differencebetween.net/technology/hardware-technology/difference-between-ide-and-pata/

Post edited by Taoz on
  • GordigGordig Posts: 9,413
    Mystiarra said:
    ArtAngel said:
    TheKD said:

Mystiarra said:

thanks.  his mac is as old as his daughter.

and i imagine  hell is a big mosh pit   or an eternal  headbanger's party  constant 9 inch nails muzik

I’m not too into NIN, but an endless mosh pit certainly doesn’t sound so bad  

TJohn said:
    kyoto kid said:

...I still have my Calculus and Matix Algebra texts to refer to when I need them

Taoz said:
    kyoto kid said:
    Taoz said:
    kyoto kid said:

Taoz said:

Some docking stations used to have problems with not recognizing WD drives though I think that was the older PATA drives (their interface is a bit (no pun intended) different than that of other brands)). 

...yeah one of my old notbooks needs a new drive.  Looked for PATA SSDs and they are expensive given the limited amount of storage they offer comared to SATA ones. I only use the noteboook for my weekly RPG sessions so I can have all my game books (PDF format), notes, various useful charts/tables, and my characters available instread of lugging around 15 - 20 kilos of books.and wasting paper printing off updated character records after each session.  Even still have the recovery disk for it (XP-Pro but I never go online with it).

You can get PATA > SATA converters but they will probably be hard to fit inside a notebook.

...yeah I already looked into that and there is no extra room for one.  Also checked the specs again and the interface is actually IDE not PATA (thouhg PATA drives are compatible with IDE) . There are only a couple PATA models available but they are expensive almost 100$ for only 64 GB (a 1 TB SATA III goes for only a little more than that).

I use the term "PATA" because it refers to the interface which is the same (though as I said WD PATA drives internally may be a bit different from other brands which some docking station manufacturers have overlooked):

http://www.differencebetween.net/technology/hardware-technology/difference-between-ide-and-pata/

...yeah may break down and get the 64 GB one anyway along with a W7 32 key once the Simulus comes through.

• RezcaRezca Posts: 3,393

Yay it's the weekend!  Finally can relax a little weh

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    kyoto kid said:

In fairness to younger people, inability to do simple math isn't new.  When I was 12 or 13 (nearly half  century ago) I used to deliver packages for my dad's pharmacy.  People were always bewildered that I didn't need to count the money, I watched when you slowly counted it out and had the total before you did.

• DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,126
    Mystiarra said:
    ArtAngel said:
    TheKD said:

and i imagine  hell is a big mosh pit   or an eternal  headbanger's party  constant 9 inch nails muzik  next lavel of hell is eternal macarayna

Or The Chicken Dance!  Hated those two when I was shooting weddings!

Dana

edited August 2020
    DanaTA said:
    Mystiarra said:
    ArtAngel said:
    TheKD said:

Dana

I imagine "Chicken Dance" would be popular on the farm at a shotgun wedding.indecision  Oh, wait..., it's not that kind of shooting?   Never mind.blush

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on
    DanaTA said:
    Mystiarra said:
    ArtAngel said:
    TheKD said:

Dana

I imagine "Chicken Dance" would be popular on the farm at a shotgun wedding.indecision  Oh, wait..., it's not that kind of shooting?   Never mind.blush

laugh

Dana

the blues brothers dance looked fun.  never tried it.  the penguin gave them a mission

• RezcaRezca Posts: 3,393
    edited August 2020

Did another drawing,  not sure what my goal was but I think it looks mostly alright!

coatl_waterfalls.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 465K
    Post edited by Rezca on

i go for covid test today.  tomorrow i go for medical clearannce.   sweating my blood pressure check.  gonna take 2 of my old blood pressure pills for the occasion. and tuesday the surgerysmiley.  then i wear an eyepatch for a day.  supposed to be a few days of blurriness before i can see.  then i do it all again for other eye.  1 eye should be good enough to render.

i so tense right now cant eat anything other than cold ice pop.  my throat feels too tight to swallow anything.  for the surgery someone has to walk me in, walk me out, and someone has to be with me for 24 hours.  my cousin's husband is taking me to the hospital tuesday.  i asked dr if they could do both eyes so i don't have to beg my cousins again, but they said no.  the medical clearance is good for 28 days.  i'll have to keep taking the bp pills til after the second surgery.  i hatre the pills.  makes me feel dehydrated , abnormally thirsty and the skin on my face feels droopy.  but of all the pills they tried on me clonodine is the only one didnt give dire rear.  ick tmilaugh forum doesnt have a tmi moji

first game i gonna play is ffx.  i cant remember all the aeon names.  i remember ifrit and shiva.forgot the first one yuna summons.  there were the 3 sisters.one looks like a ladybug.  those little cactus guys were aggravating.  would run away before i could get the xp points.  the blitz ball tournament was difficult to win.  i'll reset 4 or 5 times trying.  the scooter ride to shiva's temple depends on conversations in   the guado home, scooter ride is either with Rikku or Lulu.  

Mysti, don't take two BP pills at once!  Not unless it specifies that on the bottle.  You could end up with low blood pressure, which has its own dangers.  Not good for your heart.

Dana

Also not a good idea to eat before surgery.  Surgeons hate getting puked on, and are liable to slip.  Oops, is not good.sad

edited August 2020

Complaint:  Arghhhh... I've been scrounging around in terabytes of old archives and backups for my old mail archive.  The good news is that I found an archive that was created when I first attempted to abandon the old "WindowsLiveMail" for the new Windows10 "Mail" in March of 2019.  Yay!smiley  The bad news is that it is an encrypted zip file and I have no record of what the password is. crying  

Still Hopeful:  I never fully adopted the new Windows "Mail" free program that came natively with Windows10, and continued to use the old WindowsLiveMail (WLM) through the first quarter of 2020*.  There is still hope that I will find the "appdata" files for WindowsLiveMail in a backup created just before I began the virgin reinstallation of Windows10 on my computer.  But apparently even once I find the WLM files I'll have to transfer them to a computer still running WLM because it's not downloadable from Microsoft anymore.  Thankfully I do have my laptop which still has a working copy of WLM.

The search for mail files has netted me about 1.2GB of archived mail from various years, including the years when I was still using "OutlookExpress" (remember that oldie?)  What I'm after are mail file that contain purchase records and activation key information for various softwares.  Also, I'm looking for purchase records and item descriptions of all of the minerals and gems that I bought from on-line auctions. 

If I don't find this stuff the world won't come to an end, but I hate to break 25 years of continuous archival of my email.  Why?  Because I'm a collector.  Not a hoarder, a collector.  It's all neatly organized and space has been set aside for it.  It's just that it's now in limbo and hidden behind a locked door.sad

*Note:  WindowsLiveMail is not supported on Windows10 and is no longer downloadable.  BUT, it was grandfathered-in if you upgraded Win7 or Win8 to Win10.  But once I installed a completely virgin copy of Win10 I have no version of WindowsLiveMail that I can install to this new OS.  I've now switched to Microsoft Outlook2019 as my primary email program and getting WLM appdata files into Outlook is difficult unless you export from WLM and import directly to Outlook on the same machine.  Arghhh...indecision  

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on
  • McGyverMcGyver Posts: 7,021

Good luck Mysti! 

(I wrote that big in case it's still hard to see smaller print.)

• TJohnTJohn Posts: 11,052
    Rezca said:

Did another drawing,  not sure what my goal was but I think it looks mostly alright!

Very nice! Reminds me of Roger Dean's covers for the band Yes.

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,413

Sitting next to my wife while she 3D paints something in Cinema 4D, and it’s definitely not that program’s strong suit. All kinds of weird things keep happening, so every few minutes she has to hand the Surface back to me so that I can figure out what’s causing it. In some cases, I still don’t understand what’s causing the problem, but I can work out a way around it. 

This discussion has been closed.