The completely gratuitous complaint thread

Comments

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,300
    edited August 2020

@DanaTA  Yeah, I understand that in some people internal pressures need an outlet.  But I barely speak at all and most of that is to myself.  So, using a phone to do that would be overkill.indecision  I squirrel away about 50 minutes every 90 days.  The available talk time balance just keeps on climbing.  I wish I was that thrifty with my money.frown  I do most of my smart phone stuff at home where all data is via my home router.  But I do use it for maps when out and about and for arranging Uber rides but I'm not really a phone person so that $21/quarter deal is perfect for me.

Complaint:  Arghhh, I hate printers....  I spent the better part of two hours this afternoon trying to reinstall my printer driver on my newly revived patient.  It should have been easy-peasy but nooooo, it had to try to be smart and make sure that the installer could talk to the home office to offer me another freebie before it went ahead and did the actual installation of the driver itself.  Oh, it had successfully completed the installation of all the various utilities like scan and ink level monitor, etc.  But when it finally tried engage the driver to talk to my printer I got a message saying "The network channel assigned to your WiFi network is not supported by the printer.  This may disable your printer WiFi connectionsurprise  WTF?  I tried all sorts of basic adjustments to my system without success.  Finally I deleted all the software installed, rebooted the system again, and started over.  This time watching carefully,  At one point there was a pop-up that didn't pop-up but popped-under all the other open windows that was asking for permission to call home to make sure it had permission.  I popped it forward and clicked "yes" and the rest of the process went without a hitch.  (*sigh*)  I've installed this printer oodles of times before without trouble but they must have "improved" the latest driver/utility pack that I downloaded today.sad

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on
  • GordigGordig Posts: 9,413

I got an email today indicating that my brother had listed me as a reference for a job working for the police. There are a few issues with this:

1) I can only imagine that a nearly-40-year-old using his brother as a reference is a bad look

2) He didn't tell me he was using me as a reference, which is bad form

3) Indeed, we haven't spoken at all in several months, and he hasn't responded to the last couple messages I've sent him, because we're not on great terms right now, which relates to...

4) Judgment and impulse control are not his strong points, to put it charitably, so it would be irresponsible of me to recommend him to the police.

• DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,126

@DanaTA  Yeah, I understand that in some people internal pressures need an outlet.  But I barely speak at all and most of that is to myself.  So, using a phone to do that would be overkill.indecision 

I sometimes get a call from me.  But usually I don't want to talk to that person, so I don't answer!   laugh   Really, this phone scam crap has to stop!

Dana

• Gordig said:

I got an email today indicating that my brother had listed me as a reference for a job working for the police. There are a few issues with this:

1) I can only imagine that a nearly-40-year-old using his brother as a reference is a bad look

3) Indeed, we haven't spoken at all in several months, and he hasn't responded to the last couple messages I've sent him, because we're not on great terms right now, which relates to...

4) Judgment and impulse control are not his strong points, to put it charitably, so it would be irresponsible of me to recommend him to the police.

Are you sure it's genuine?

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
    edited August 2020

thqy brought me food
    they went thru my fridge and got rid of the spoiled food.  so atleast i won't food poison myself.  they gave me applesauce snack cups. quick qnd eqsy  

the eye inj seem to help a lil bit, the blood fog is a lil less thick.  my monitor is set at lowest res.   

siri keeping me company.  dolphins have belly buttons and sleep 8 hours.  she knows why rudolph's nose is red.  i ask her where santa is, he moves around.  she cant help me find jesus. would be more help right now than santa.  but i like her tone when she talks about santa.is warm and fuzzy, my siri talks australian so she sounds cuter

i have to set the type to H1 to be able to type here, then change it to normal before submit button.  

what makes a kitchen a euro kitchen?

my phone battery was at 1 percent, siri said 1 is the loneliest number.

i need to set up a perimeter of hamster warriors so the squirrel king cant infiltrate my dreams and nightmarres.  squirrels sleep 15 hours.  exhaust themselves running around trees.  cant see them but i assume they still out there.

i tried working on chapters  but i type a lot of gibberish when my hands shift on the keyboard.  i used to have the big ez see yellow keyboard.  cant find it now.  when i put something down cant find it again.

somewhere in my room is a headset with mic boom.  its been a month since the first cataract surgery.  thought i'd be reading bruce dickinson's memoirs by now. 

i scared no one to take me to  next surgery my chest feels tight all the time.

Post edited by Mistara on
    McGyver said:
    Mystiarra said:

the white is too bright.  it hurts

I think Firefox has some sort of add on to customize the appearance of websites, so you can have a "dark style" look... 

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/search/?category=appearance&sort=recommended%2Cusers&type=extension

There are a couple (actually quite few) but since I haven't used them, it's best you decide which one seems best for you... the reviews vary... 

thanks

Mystiarra said:

Your eyes now have a clear window to the world.  No yellowed ancient lens in the way.  I used a pair of sunglasses (clip-ons when necessary), for a while when looking at a white monitor, and going outside on a bright day hurts.  

ALSO, your eyes now have less protection from UV light from the sun.  Sunglasses should be kept handy.

Young people snicker at us oldies when we complain about the screens being too bright.frown  To which I say, just wait, just wait.  You'll see what we mean when your eyes are three-quarters of a century old and have had the watery, UV blocking lens replaced with a plastic one.cheeky

eyes with serial umbers now

• TJohnTJohn Posts: 11,052
    Mystiarra said:

thqy brought me food
    they went thru my fridge and got rid of the spoiled food.  so atleast i won't food poison myself.  they gave me applesauce snack cups. quick qnd eqsy  

the eye inj seem to help a lil bit, the blood fog is a lil less thick.  my monitor is set at lowest res.   

siri keeping me company.  dolphins have belly buttons and sleep 8 hours.  she knows why rudolph's nose is red.  i ask her where santa is, he moves around.  she cant help me find jesus. would be more help right now than santa.  but i like her tone when she talks about santa.is warm and fuzzy, my siri talks australian so she sounds cuter

i have to set the type to H1 to be able to type here, then change it to normal before submit button.  

i need to set up a perimeter of hamster warriors so the squirrel king cant infiltrate my dreams and nightmarres.  squirrels sleep 15 hours.  exhaust themselves running around trees.  cant see them but i assume they still out there.

i tried working on chapters  but i type a lot of gibberish when my hands shift on the keyboard.  i used to have the big ez see yellow keyboard.  cant find it now.  when i put something down cant find it again.

somewhere in my room is a headset with mic boom.  its been a month since the first cataract surgery.  thought i'd be reading bruce dickinson's memoirs by now. 

Tons of hugs for you Misty. 

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,413
    Gordig said:

Fair enough. I haven't looked too closely at the email, but from the preview on my phone, it seemed legit enough. If it is a scam, I'm having a hard time imagining what the scam might be. 

• McGyverMcGyver Posts: 7,021
    Mystiarra said:

siri keeping me company...  she cant help me find jesus. 

Sorry Siri is the only one there... she can be kinda useless sometimes... we are here, but you can't see us now because we are invisible... sort of... well I am... anyway... I looked around and found big J for you... 

I hope you can see him... apparently he was hanging out with Waldo at the beach the whole time...

PS... Photoshopping crap with Pixelmator and Sketchbook on an iPad is unnecessarily awkward.

Complaint:  (*Sigh*)  After my patient had had brain and organ transplants and was re-schooled, it remained to restore my user data, mail archives and DAZ files.  The process requires playing musical disk space to get old crap weeded out, and good crap organized properly.  This required an external drive docking station to mount and dismount various archive drives efficiently.  I could do it the old fashioned way but decided to get a nice docking station to handle two drives at once and do offline copying if necessary.  Good idea!  It arrived quickly.  Sat on my desk waiting for all the other parts to arrive.  But when it came time to actually use it, it was dead-on-arrival (DOA).  Arghhh.angry  Yeah, I tested the heck out of it.  Tested the cable, the ports, different drives, ... nothing worked.  The drives would spin but no data recognition.  I dug deep into my old parts box and found a not so pretty or convientient USB3 to SATA cable for a single drive and it works fine, all the tested drives work fine the computer ports all work fine.  But the new docking station is kaput.  Boogers!  sad

So, I initiated a return to NewEgg describing the situation, requesting replacement and ending with "Not happy, :-(  Please make me happy. :-)"  At least I'm semi-polite about it, and hopeful.  No charge to return but does require another trip uptown to the UPS shipping store.frown

Non-complaint:  In the process of cleaning up my backup and archives I've recovered about 6 TB of storage, so far.surprisesmiley

• TaozTaoz Posts: 9,776

Some docking stations used to have problems with not recognizing WD drives though I think that was the older PATA drives (their interface is a bit (no pun intended) different than that of other brands)). 

McGyver said:
    Mystiarra said:

siri keeping me company...  she cant help me find jesus. 

Sorry Siri is the only one there... she can be kinda useless sometimes... we are here, but you can't see us now because we are invisible... sort of... well I am... anyway... I looked around and found big J for you... 

I hope you can see him... apparently he was hanging out with Waldo at the beach the whole time...

PS... Photoshopping crap with Pixelmator and Sketchbook on an iPad is unnecessarily awkward.

thanks.  i see some yellow/  spongebob?

is stormy out. windy.  hearing my APC  click.  i never got an apc for my wifi gizmos.  one day will fix that.  i thirsty for real guiness, the kind that takes 30 minutes to pour from the pull

Woooza... Veeeeeeeerrrrry windy... right now it's worse than Sandy wind wise... my street looks like a war zone.

Danm... while I was writing that the big tree in the front lost a huge section... about 1/3... it's now blocking the main driveway... Damn... I really liked that tree.

So... earlier the power line on the neighbors house got pulled down and we marked it with fluorescent orange safety tape because it is windshield height on this side of the road, barely roof height if you drive on the opposite side on the shoulder... then the police came and blocked off the street with "Police Line" caution tape... and of course people immediately drove though it and now it's just flapping in the breeze... mind you half the street is blocked by my tree's debris, there is a tree down on the north corner, half the road is blocked on the south corner and the whole visible length of the road is a maze of debris and downed trees... yet idiots are driving down the road like it's a normal day... normal speed... nothing unusual.

Also to further note, this road is technically not a main road, but it's used as a shortcut between two major highways and mainly to access a nearby shopping center... it's more of convenience than a necessity to anyone other than locals.

Basically nobody really "needs" use this road... 

F- -king people are so stupid... 

edited August 2020

Ooh, hurricanes.  Time to bring out the devil kites.devil

Non-complaint:  Wheee... I've got my mail installed again.  I have 6 active email accounts that I use for various things and reasons.  I had been using Microsoft mail programs but they ended up changing their free mail app every couple of years.  Then they dropped my last one "Windows Live Mail".  Arghhh.  So, I tried a 3rd party app "Thunderbird Mail".  HATED IT!!!  It caused me to lose lots of important information when it just decides to clean house.  Grrrr...angry  I have a small hope of recovering it though (that's part of what I've been doing scrounging through my backups and archives), but they don't make it easy with the way they scramble everything into the hidden "appdata" mish-mash.

To resolve this problem once and for all (hopefully) I bit the bullet and bought a copy of Microsoft "Outlook 2019".  I probably could have gotten it through various sketchy sources but I went directly to Microsoft and paid their pound of flesh.  Good thing too, because I had greatly troubles getting it downloaded and installed.  Why, oh why do they make it so simple that a child can do it but ancient computer experts tear their hair out trying to overcome 3 decades of preconceived notions of how software should be installed.  crying  I took advantage of chat with MS experts at their service desk and was eventually led by the nose to the one page on their website that had enough clues that I finally succeeded.  And I now have all six of my email accounts configured and they've downloaded the last three days of unread mail.  Yay?indecision

Yeah, yeah, I know I could have gotten Outlook for free but it's a crippled version and works through web browsers and has advertisements.  Nope, not going there.cheeky  I wanted the locally resident application that downloads everything and keeps it all in one spot on my own computer.  

Edited to add:  And somewhere in the process of getting my "Outlook 2019" downloaded and licensed I ended up with two license keys.  One of them at least appears to be active, but don't ask me which one?  (*sigh*) more confusion than I can handle today.  Time for a shot of vodka in my iced tea and some TV.

I hope things start to clear up for you, Misty!  Being a writer, I'd have thought you were a touch typist.  You don't need to see the keys when you are a touch typist.  Just feel the little bumps on the F and J keys and you know where you are.   sdfg are worn off, so if I didn't know where they were, I'd be lost.  My sister Laurie complains whenever she asks to use my computer.  Which isn't often, thankfully.

Dana

When you're typing on a smart phone screen you need to be tiny.

• kyoto kid said:
    kyoto kid said:

...speaking of recovery, still dealing with fixing the phone.   I originally got it from T•Mobile (which is why when I restored it I got a lot of T•Mobile rubbish on the screen), but about a year ago I switched to Consumer Cellular (which saves me 30$ a month) so I don't think I can go to the T•Mobile outlet to get things working properly again . Consumer Cellular has no Brick & Mortar outlets. 

Finally got my two grocery market apps set up and running again. Sadly the weather service I used to have changed their app and it now requires Android 6.0 or better.. However, found a new one that give me everything I need on one screen and even sets the current conditions to wherever I am located at the moment.  Still need to find a good ringtone that isn't a song, cheesy electronic noise, or something everyone else uses, as well as set up and sync a couple other apps I used to have and get the secure login working again.  Crikey, this is almost more exasperating than setting up a new computer as it often involves having to type things in on that tiny "virtual keyboard".

Have you worked out the economics of how you use the phone vs what you could get with a pay-as-you-go TracFone?  How much do you actually use the phone for talking?  I could see that if you're on the phone all day long, or use a lot of data, or are addicted to the current state-of-the-art gadgetry, then TracFone wouldn't work for you.   But they have nice catalog of one or two generation old phones for under $100 and many under $50.  I'm able to use their $21 for 3 months service plan that provides 60 minutes of talk time.  Granted I don't talk any more than a sleeping snail but it's a nice Motorola (Moto G Optimo) Android-9 with speech recognition, front & back cameras, Bluetooth and plenty of storage once I added a 2nd memory chip.  Yes, I had to buy a couple GigaBytes of data access but I've hardly dented that because I usually only connect to the Internet when I'm at home and using my personal WiFi router for access.

I know that the $21 for 60 minutes for 3 months would strangle a lot of people who do a lot of talking, but that's only the absolute lowest service plan.  There are several other plans with varying amounts of minutes & data.  And if you ever see a need for more minutes or data, you can use the phone to add more, bing bang botta boom, done, right from the phone.yes  Break the plans down to cost-per-month to see what pops out.enlightened  For me the $7/month cost is perfect, I've currently accumulated over 3000 minutes of talk time for if I ever get gabby.  Because of my limited usage I have never regretted moving to TracFone.  Why pay for service you don't use?  And besides, in my not-so-humble opinion,  $800 phones on a $150/month plan are ludicrous foppery.

And don't let the "I don't want to bother buying a new service card every 3 months" excuse trouble you.  They really want you to subscribe instead of buying new service cards each quarter, and they'll give you a few percent off the price to automatically renew you when the time comes.  After 10 years of buying a new plan every 3-months, I finally decided to join their subscription service and saved a couple dollars per quarter.smiley  And, I can still use the phone or my computer to add a little time or data to the plan when necessary.

...I still actually have an old flip phone from such a service but it is extremely limited ans you have to manuslly "reload" it every 30 days often having to enter a long cryptic code to do so (not good for a dyslexic with old eyes).  Also on such phones, net access (data) is extremely expensive, more so than with most smartphone plans.  I need data for a couple of functions I use ( I am currently paying 25$ a month for 250 minutes (which I rarey iif ewver use unless I have to contact some government agency which puts me on hold for 45 min to an hour), unlimited texting, and 3 GB/month of data usage),  Most of those "pay as you go phones actually end up more expensive in the long run as you pay a flat 10¢ a minute, so a 10 minute call is 2.50$.

As our transit system has done away with paper passes and tickets, without a smart (and yes, I question the term) phone, I would either have to carry a wad of change in my pocket (and currently they are not accepting cash fares because of COVID), or deal with a ridiculous, and easy to lose, fare card (which just adds to the other cards one has to deal with) that you have to go to some store or other "certified" outlet to put money on it. 

With the phone app I can add money to it online (even through the phone) and the app also lets me instantly see the balance in my account so I don't end up in an unpleasant and embarrassing situation when boarding when account has insufficient funds.   You can check your balance with the card option, but is a rather cumbersome process and can only be done on a home computer after entering a bunbch of different codes. If it's lost or stolen, well, tough luck.

The one other service I like having a smartphone for is being able to get directions to a location as well as the food market apps which come in very handy and are not available on a flip phone.

"I'm hungry!" is the single best reason for keeping Siri around.

Mystiarra said:

Your eyes now have a clear window to the world.  No yellowed ancient lens in the way.  I used a pair of sunglasses (clip-ons when necessary), for a while when looking at a white monitor, and going outside on a bright day hurts.  

ALSO, your eyes now have less protection from UV light from the sun.  Sunglasses should be kept handy.

Young people snicker at us oldies when we complain about the screens being too bright.frown  To which I say, just wait, just wait.  You'll see what we mean when your eyes are three-quarters of a century old and have had the watery, UV blocking lens replaced with a plastic one.cheeky

It's not only that, it's a plastic one that's rolled up like a doobie.  They slide it in through the side and it unrolls like a fat burrito with too much stuff in it.  And BAM, you're good!

Gordig said:

"I'm sorry, I have no idea who that person is."

"Yeah, that dude owes me money from his last drug buy!"

...or...

"Yes, you should hire him, he heals the sick, raises the dead, and feeds the masses with two fish and a sheepskin-squeeze of wine.  And he walks on water when he's bored!"

The answer you give, maybe could be dependent on what kind of outcome you desire.

For example...

"Don't ever call me again"

"You screwed yourself, dude!"

...or, and this may be the one you want to avoid:

"Guess what, honey?  My brother is coming to stay with us.  It's only for a "few days" while he "gets back on his feet". "

We've all heard that one, right?  And we all know that it will be something between "a few days" and "the end of my marriage".

If you live far enough apart, maybe your risk is low for that bad one happening.  Or have a house rule like mine:  No more roomates!  In any event, you are in charge here.

Seriously, I'd call him and leave a message asking him not to use me for a reference, particularly if you are still working and have a professional image to maintain.  If not, then you can pretty much do whatever you want.

DanaTA said:

@DanaTA  Yeah, I understand that in some people internal pressures need an outlet.  But I barely speak at all and most of that is to myself.  So, using a phone to do that would be overkill.indecision 

I sometimes get a call from me.  But usually I don't want to talk to that person, so I don't answer!   laugh   Really, this phone scam crap has to stop!

Dana

I think I got a call from you once. 

And Kyoto called me.  Not Kyoto Kid, no.  It was actually Kyoto, the whole city.  I had to learn how to say "wrong number" in Japanese and then repeat it 1.5 million times!  The good news is that it took only about 7 years to get off that call.  Such polite people!

And those Kardashians just won't leave me alone!  At one point, I just started saying random stuff to get them to think they were calling a crazy person.

Well, THAT backfired big-time.  Now their kids are all named "North", "Stormy", "Psalm" (I actually pronounced it "Palm", like palm tree), "Chicago", "Saint", and isn't there a "Blue Indigo", which means "blue blue", right? 

Hey, it worked with Michael Jackson!  Paris, Blanket, right?

I missed a real opportunity on that blue-blue one.  I could have said "Blue, Cerulean, Indigo, Navy, Aqua, and Azure".   Okay, that would have been cruel to some poor kid.  Or AWESOME.  She'd have a ready-made DJ name!  "Blue-7"  Or with 133t ("Leet"), it could be Blu35 (leet for a great blues artist!).  The awesome would never end in my lifetime!

Names that they haven't used yet include, "Holy Spirit", "Jesus, Joseph, and Mary" (for one single kid), "Wang Chung", "Cerberus", "Bingo", "Victoria 8", "Dodgers", "49'ers", "Sabotage", "Dingo Dawg", "Canishowyoumytattoo", and "Mucky Ducky".  They're always gettin' busy, so it's likely there will be new naming opportunities down the line.  Time will tell!

Hmmm, wouldn't it be interesting if the Kardashian kids all decided to rename themselves "Richard", "John", "Misty", and "Chohole" once they reached age of majority?  That would be sweet!

Mystiarra said:

thqy brought me food

Do an Uber.  Pre-program the number or have somebody help you.

Mystiarra said:
    McGyver said:
    Mystiarra said:

I think Firefox has some sort of add on to customize the appearance of websites, so you can have a "dark style" look... 

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/search/?category=appearance&sort=recommended%2Cusers&type=extension

There are a couple (actually quite few) but since I haven't used them, it's best you decide which one seems best for you... the reviews vary... 

thanks

Mystiarra said:

eyes with serial umbers now

Your eyes have serial numbers?  Wow, that's awesome!  You're like the Bionic Woman now!

Gordig said:
    Gordig said:

Fair enough. I haven't looked too closely at the email, but from the preview on my phone, it seemed legit enough. If it is a scam, I'm having a hard time imagining what the scam might be. 

"Oh that guy?  He was really nice; he shared all his drugs with everybody.  Unfortunately, I lost track of him after he went into prison."

McGyver said:

Woooza... Veeeeeeeerrrrry windy... right now it's worse than Sandy wind wise... my street looks like a war zone.

Danm... while I was writing that the big tree in the front lost a huge section... about 1/3... it's now blocking the main driveway... Damn... I really liked that tree.

I cut down 11 trees in my front yard back in 2012.  Whew, building crushing avoided!

Ooh, hurricanes.  Time to bring out the devil kites.devil

Non-complaint:  Wheee... I've got my mail installed again.  I have 6 active email accounts that I use for various things and reasons.  I had been using Microsoft mail programs but they ended up changing their free mail app every couple of years.  Then they dropped my last one "Windows Live Mail".  Arghhh.  So, I tried a 3rd party app "Thunderbird Mail".  HATED IT!!!  It caused me to lose lots of important information when it just decides to clean house.  Grrrr...angry  I have a small hope of recovering it though (that's part of what I've been doing scrounging through my backups and archives), but they don't make it easy with the way they scramble everything into the hidden "appdata" mish-mash.

To resolve this problem once and for all (hopefully) I bit the bullet and bought a copy of Microsoft "Outlook 2019".  I probably could have gotten it through various sketchy sources but I went directly to Microsoft and paid their pound of flesh.  Good thing too, because I had greatly troubles getting it downloaded and installed.  Why, oh why do they make it so simple that a child can do it but ancient computer experts tear their hair out trying to overcome 3 decades of preconceived notions of how software should be installed.  crying  I took advantage of chat with MS experts at their service desk and was eventually led by the nose to the one page on their website that had enough clues that I finally succeeded.  And I now have all six of my email accounts configured and they've downloaded the last three days of unread mail.  Yay?indecision

Yeah, yeah, I know I could have gotten Outlook for free but it's a crippled version and works through web browsers and has advertisements.  Nope, not going there.cheeky  I wanted the locally resident application that downloads everything and keeps it all in one spot on my own computer.  

Edited to add:  And somewhere in the process of getting my "Outlook 2019" downloaded and licensed I ended up with two license keys.  One of them at least appears to be active, but don't ask me which one?  (*sigh*) more confusion than I can handle today.  Time for a shot of vodka in my iced tea and some TV.

Didn't Outlook go cloud?

DanaTA said:

I hope things start to clear up for you, Misty!  Being a writer, I'd have thought you were a touch typist.  You don't need to see the keys when you are a touch typist.  Just feel the little bumps on the F and J keys and you know where you are.   sdfg are worn off, so if I didn't know where they were, I'd be lost.  My sister Laurie complains whenever she asks to use my computer.  Which isn't often, thankfully.

Dana

Touch-typing FTW!

• TheKDTheKD Posts: 2,677

Had to sand some floors today using a covid cloth mask. Do not reccomend, 3 thumbs down.

When you're typing on a smart phone screen you need to be tiny.

laugh    That's why I try to use the voice control most of the time.  Of course, thanks to autocorrect, I need to type somethings.  Some of it's suggestions really make me wonder who wrote them!

Dana

TheKD said:

Had to sand some floors today using a covid cloth mask. Do not reccomend, 3 thumbs down.

surprise  Can't find the N95 with the CoolFlow valve?  Those aren't useful against COVID-19 because of the valve, which expels your exhalations!  They should be plentiful.

Dana

edited August 2020

Microsoft "Office 365" went cloud and the mail part of it "Outlook" went cloud too, but there is still "Office 2019" which as far as I can tell is an old fashioned mail app, resident on my computer, does not have a Web based interface, just a familiar mail program interface.  Maybe under the hood it sneaks things through the cloud but to me it looks like exactly what we had before clouds were a thing. 

I saw lots of advertisements for "Office 2019" at NewEgg and Amazon via 3rd party providers for about $60, but I've been burned by those types of deals when I tried to cheap out on Adobe products.  So, for Microsoft and Adobe I go straight to the horse's mouth.  At the Microsoft website I finally found what looked to be "Office 2019" but they were calling it simply "Office for Desktops" (not dating themselves or the product, I guess).  I did open a chat with their help desk and got confirmation that it was exactly what I wanted.  Yay!  But the price was $139 (ouch) but I've been wanting real Outlook for a many years.  I've been getting along with their older free mail products with all the wonderful customizable filtering rules and excellent handling of multiple non-MS mail accounts.  But the free versions got skimpier and skimpier and buggier and buggier, till they killed them off altogether when support for WindowsLive Mail was dropped.  I tried Thunderbird but for me it was a cludgy mess.  And the UI drove me batty.  And when Thunderbird just completely threw away some very important mail files I swore that at the first opportunity I'd ditch it.no

I've spent the last several hours here tweaking and playing with my new Outlook2019 and having a ball at all the options and customizability and familiar features.  So the "pound of flesh" I paid was worth it to me.  I'm now set for probably 5 years or so before I have to think about changing mail programs again.  And by that time I may be in la-la land dribbling on my onesy.indecision

Edited to add:  Oh, and yes, there is a free version of Outlook365 but it is a crippled version that accidentally got installed on my machine today during the debacle of trying to get my licensed product.  The free version is cloud based but as far as I could see, it was just a teaser to get you addicted to the "outlook.com" mail domain.  Maybe I'm wrong but I couldn't find a way to add non-MS mail POP accounts.  At one point I had both the free version and the licensed version installed and if you don't think that was confusing when the icons look almost exactly identical and one was on my desktop and another was in my task bar and both were in the START menu and mail from MS  with links would start one or the other based on the number of spiders in the room.surprise  I was about ready to throw my shoe through a window until I figured that out and uninstalled the free version.  frown

Aren't the Kardashians people who worship the dashboards of cars?

And participate in Dashboard Confessionals?

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,707
    edited August 2020
    kyoto kid said:
    kyoto kid said:

...speaking of recovery, still dealing with fixing the phone.   I originally got it from T•Mobile (which is why when I restored it I got a lot of T•Mobile rubbish on the screen), but about a year ago I switched to Consumer Cellular (which saves me 30$ a month) so I don't think I can go to the T•Mobile outlet to get things working properly again . Consumer Cellular has no Brick & Mortar outlets. 

Finally got my two grocery market apps set up and running again. Sadly the weather service I used to have changed their app and it now requires Android 6.0 or better.. However, found a new one that give me everything I need on one screen and even sets the current conditions to wherever I am located at the moment.  Still need to find a good ringtone that isn't a song, cheesy electronic noise, or something everyone else uses, as well as set up and sync a couple other apps I used to have and get the secure login working again.  Crikey, this is almost more exasperating than setting up a new computer as it often involves having to type things in on that tiny "virtual keyboard".

Have you worked out the economics of how you use the phone vs what you could get with a pay-as-you-go TracFone?  How much do you actually use the phone for talking?  I could see that if you're on the phone all day long, or use a lot of data, or are addicted to the current state-of-the-art gadgetry, then TracFone wouldn't work for you.   But they have nice catalog of one or two generation old phones for under $100 and many under $50.  I'm able to use their $21 for 3 months service plan that provides 60 minutes of talk time.  Granted I don't talk any more than a sleeping snail but it's a nice Motorola (Moto G Optimo) Android-9 with speech recognition, front & back cameras, Bluetooth and plenty of storage once I added a 2nd memory chip.  Yes, I had to buy a couple GigaBytes of data access but I've hardly dented that because I usually only connect to the Internet when I'm at home and using my personal WiFi router for access.

I know that the $21 for 60 minutes for 3 months would strangle a lot of people who do a lot of talking, but that's only the absolute lowest service plan.  There are several other plans with varying amounts of minutes & data.  And if you ever see a need for more minutes or data, you can use the phone to add more, bing bang botta boom, done, right from the phone.yes  Break the plans down to cost-per-month to see what pops out.enlightened  For me the $7/month cost is perfect, I've currently accumulated over 3000 minutes of talk time for if I ever get gabby.  Because of my limited usage I have never regretted moving to TracFone.  Why pay for service you don't use?  And besides, in my not-so-humble opinion,  $800 phones on a $150/month plan are ludicrous foppery.

And don't let the "I don't want to bother buying a new service card every 3 months" excuse trouble you.  They really want you to subscribe instead of buying new service cards each quarter, and they'll give you a few percent off the price to automatically renew you when the time comes.  After 10 years of buying a new plan every 3-months, I finally decided to join their subscription service and saved a couple dollars per quarter.smiley  And, I can still use the phone or my computer to add a little time or data to the plan when necessary.

...I still actually have an old flip phone from such a service but it is extremely limited ans you have to manuslly "reload" it every 30 days often having to enter a long cryptic code to do so (not good for a dyslexic with old eyes).  Also on such phones, net access (data) is extremely expensive, more so than with most smartphone plans.  I need data for a couple of functions I use ( I am currently paying 25$ a month for 250 minutes (which I rarey iif ewver use unless I have to contact some government agency which puts me on hold for 45 min to an hour), unlimited texting, and 3 GB/month of data usage),  Most of those "pay as you go phones actually end up more expensive in the long run as you pay a flat 10¢ a minute, so a 10 minute call is 2.50$.

As our transit system has done away with paper passes and tickets, without a smart (and yes, I question the term) phone, I would either have to carry a wad of change in my pocket (and currently they are not accepting cash fares because of COVID), or deal with a ridiculous, and easy to lose, fare card (which just adds to the other cards one has to deal with) that you have to go to some store or other "certified" outlet to put money on it. 

With the phone app I can add money to it online (even through the phone) and the app also lets me instantly see the balance in my account so I don't end up in an unpleasant and embarrassing situation when boarding when account has insufficient funds.   You can check your balance with the card option, but is a rather cumbersome process and can only be done on a home computer after entering a bunbch of different codes. If it's lost or stolen, well, tough luck.

The one other service I like having a smartphone for is being able to get directions to a location as well as the food market apps which come in very handy and are not available on a flip phone.

---------------------------------------------------------------

"Most of those "pay as you go phones actually end up more expensive in the long run as you pay a flat 10¢ a minute, so a 10 minute call is 2.50$."

That is not what I've experienced with TracFone.  "60 minutes over 90 days for $21" means "60 minutes over 90 days for $21", period!  No extra charges whether I'm using voice or text.  Yes, data does cost extra but it's not that expensive unless you do a LOT of browsing on the fly (i.e. walking around town).  And if you're using a flip phone you're a decade behind the times.  Like I say I have a relatively modern smart phone that does maps, and locations and voice, and browse, and apps galore, and it does them fast.  I still say that it's worth examining their website or asking around.  If you don't use the 250 minutes why pay for them?  Analyze your usage, see what plans they have.  And remember you DON'T have to subscribe and you DON'T have to buy a card, and punch in numbers.  Link your TracFone to their website and just order up a burst of minutes when you need them.  They'll just add to your subscription minutes (if you're using subscription).  No long term contracts.  On the plus side, you don't even have to buy the phone from TracFone's catalog BUT they do have some very servicable phones for very reasonable prices.

Don't let past experience with other companies sour you on TracFone.  www.TracFone.com  Check 'em out.

HOWEVER, if you get your phone and your in-home Internet service through your cell phone company then that's a problem.sad  In my case I get my land-line phone and my Internet service through the phone company but my TracFone costs are a separate thing.  I get land-line phone and 100 Mb/sec DSL Internet service from the phone company (60Mb/s in reality) for $95/month and I don't have cable TV but get everything through the phone Internet link.  My problem is I rarely use the land-line phone, but dropping just that service wouldn't save me much of anything.  So, each of us has particular situations, I'm only suggesting to see what TracFone has to offer these days.

...the flip phone I have is from AT&T, fairly old, with a really tiny screen, and locked to their service   It's supposed to allow texting and entering information, but I'll be darned if I can figure out how to do so on a standard telephone keypad. Oh it can be done using multiple keys but with my lack of dexterity it's a terribly convoluted and frustrating process. The small virtual keypad on a smartphone is difficult enough to deal with (though I picked up a new stylus yesterday which makes the process easier and more accurate).  A flip phone also does not work with our transit system's fare and tracker apps so again would mean always having to carry around a bunch of change in the pocket or getting one of those inconvenient to use easy to lose fare cards. 

Actually looking to get a new phone when the next Stimulus payment comes through. Found a really nice basic one (Motorola Moto) through Consumer Cellular for only 79$ which has Android 10.0, 32 GB of memory (4 times what I have now), a 13.5 megapixel camera (not bad for a phone), and a battery that holds a much longer charge. .With that I can use the new fare app that our transit system is transitioning to.

BTW, for 4$ more a month, I get 250 min of calls which I rarely if ever use up (unless I am dealing with a government agency and get put on hold a lot), 3 GB of data (more than I ever need in a month), and unlimited texting with Consumer Cellular.  No contract or long term payment plan either (the latter required for getting an expensive iPhone or Galaxy with all the bells & whistles I really don't need). 

Oh and yes, I tend walk to a lot of places, even downtown and to the east side just across the river as it is the only exercise I get anymore. Saves on transit fare for shorter trips.  Walking the entire west and east riverbank promenade circle is a nice 5.5 mile route.

DanaTA said:

"Most of those "pay as you go phones actually end up more expensive in the long run as you pay a flat 10¢ a minute, so a 10 minute call is 2.50$."

That is not what I've experienced with TracFone.  "60 minutes over 90 days for $21" means "60 minutes over 90 days for $21", period! 

60 minutes over 90 days?!?!   Diane uses that much in one day sometimes!  Often, actually.  I'm paying about $54 and some change, including taxes and surcharges, for two phone lines with unlimited talk, unlimited text, and 10GB of data per month.  So, that's only a dollar or two more than what you are paying for three months, but we're getting a whole lot more    @KK, you should look into this.  This was an automatic upgrade to our account, and it didn't cost us any additional money.  Perhaps it's regional, but I wouldn't see why.

Dana

...what company is that?  The best price I can get for such service is 55$ a month for a single line. I have seen such offers advertised (25$ a month) but in the fine print that is per line as part of a multi phone service package.  That was how Iinitially got my current phone and service plan until the household broke up and I was on my own.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
    kyoto kid said:
    kyoto kid said:
    kyoto kid said:

60 minutes over 90 days?!?!   Diane uses that much in one day sometimes!  Often, actually.  I'm paying about $54 and some change, including taxes and surcharges, for two phone lines with unlimited talk, unlimited text, and 10GB of data per month.  So, that's only a dollar or two more than what you are paying for three months, but we're getting a whole lot more    @KK, you should look into this.  This was an automatic upgrade to our account, and it didn't cost us any additional money.  Perhaps it's regional, but I wouldn't see why.

DanaTA said:

Dana

...what company is that?  The best price I can get for such service is 55$ a month for a single line. I have seen such offers advertised (25$ a month) but in the fine print that is per line as part of a multi phone service package.  That was how Iinitially got my current phone and service plan until the household broke up and I was on my own.

We're with Consumer Cellular!  We do get a 20% discount for being members of AARP.

For the keyboard, if your phone supports tilting sideways to get the landscape mode, try that.  The keyboard gets a little larger.  Again, I try to use the voice control as much as possible.  It's fairly accurate, with the exception of the occassional auto-correct fail!  And, you can even do things like saying, "Hi, Kid exclamation mark  How are you question mark"  and it will put the spoken punctuation into the sentences!  Your will see it back up over the last word and then reprint it with the punctuation.  And you can say, "Ten dollars and fifty cents" and it will print $10.50.  Pretty cool.

Dana

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,707

...ah not a member of AARP anymore, as most of their feature articles and recommendations tend to be targeted towards those who have a better retirement plan than I do. The only benefit I ever used was an extra 10% or so off Amtrak senior fares which doesn't apply to accommodations on long distance trains.  I still get their digital newsletter though. the 2:30$ or so I'd save on my phone service is pretty much offest by the annual membership fee..

While turning the phone sideways does increase the keypad size it also  pretty much cuts off much of what's above it so I have to scroll up and down more often.  I find the stylus works fine as I can actually zero in on each letter/number more accurately than with my fingers. I've tried the voice control but as I have a bit of a lisp, I often get some really odd resultss.  The new phone I am considering has a slightly larger surface area. but not as big as an iPhone so it still fits in an upper shirt pocket or inside pocket of whatever jacket I am wearing. I'd never put one in my jeans or pants pocket unless I am wearing cargo pants, (then it goes in the large side pocket).

I wonder what voice control would kick back to the screen if you put in front of a cat that was meowing and/or purring?

kyoto kid said:

...ah not a member of AARP anymore, as most of their feature articles and recommendations tend to be targeted towards those who have a better retirement plan than I do. The only benefit I ever used was an extra 10% or so off Amtrak senior fares which doesn't apply to accommodations on long distance trains.  I still get their digital newsletter though. the 2:30$ or so I'd save on my phone service is pretty much offest by the annual membership fee..

While turning the phone sideways does increase the keypad size it also  pretty much cuts off much of what's above it so I have to scroll up and down more often.  I find the stylus works fine as I can actually zero in on each letter/number more accurately than with my fingers. I've tried the voice control but as I have a bit of a lisp, I often get some really odd resultss.  The new phone I am considering has a slightly larger surface area. but not as big as an iPhone so it still fits in an upper shirt pocket or inside pocket of whatever jacket I am wearing. I'd never put one in my jeans or pants pocket unless I am wearing cargo pants, (then it goes in the large side pocket).

I wonder what voice control would kick back to the screen if you put in front of a cat that was meowing and/or purring?

(cat meows) (cat purrs)

Hey, it's a smart phone after all. smiley

edited August 2020
    kyoto kid said:

Yeah, I dropped AARP (American Association of Retired Persons) also.  Got their bill in the mail a few weeks ago and threw it away.  Nothing in it for me anymore.  All I ever used it for was the discount at Outback Steakhouse which would just about cover the tip.  I hated reading about people going on Caribbean or Alaska sea cruises.  Now I just sit back here, and snicker to myself, "How'd that work out for you?  Have fun stuck in your cabin for two weeks waiting to die?"  devil

I also dropped AAA (American Automobile Association)  I ain't got no 'mobile no more so...  Whatever will I do without that 15% discount to motels that I don't go to anymore?  And when was the last time I used their free map service?  Every time I did before, I'd get a whole bag of booklets and maps carefully outlining my trip for me, which were thrown away after riding in my trunk for 5 years.  All that mapping service is now available on my phone.yes  The emergency towing or repair or tire changing service was great (I used it twice in 50 years).  But without a car, it's kinda' pointless.frown  So, in summary, AAA service over 50 years at between $50 and $100 a year would be about $3500 for two tire changes and a couple bags of maps.surprise

Complaint:  Time to toddle up to the grocery for essentials again.  I've been out of milk, bread and eggs for almost a week.  But breakfast is still possible.  When I don't have milk for regular cereal I use 1/3 cup of "Grape Nuts" with just enough really hot water to make a saturated granular mash, and add a little honey.  Mmmm, a sweet nutty breakfast with oatmeal consistency.  Simple, quick, tasty.enlightened

Non-complaint:  My brother fixed my 15 year old refrigerator's bottom plastic shelf that covers the vegetable bins.  It had cracked down the middle (too many heavy watermelons over the years) and was in danger of completely breaking in half.  My brother is a whiz at manipulating matter and has the tools for all sorts of material magic (wood, metal, plastic, ceramic).  He drilled about a 20 inch (50cm) long hole horizontally through the underside ribs of the shelf and inserted a carbon fiber arrow shaft through the hole and epoxied it into place and also fiberglassed the underside of the crack.cool  I could now have two watermelons in there along with a case of beer and it wouldn't sag.yes  Good for another 15 years.

• TJohn said:
    kyoto kid said:

(cat meows) (cat purrs)

Hey, it's a smart phone after all. smiley

I've got news for you.  They ain't THAT smart.  You'd think there would be some kind of humor built in.

the answer to life 42 still thee definitive answer?
    thought of a word yesterday   cant remembeer it now  something like salient was something i had to ask siri
    siri didnt know the answer to life   she knows soyent green
    eoa tidat santa us at his beach house  elfs prolly wild party trashing the workshop.  i sleep a lot these days.  if santa comes by tell him i need gatorade, i like the blue ones

is there a critter that hast arms and wings?  looking for something to eplain a dragon skeleton.  i imagine tinkerbell's wings are attached to a veterbrate bone.  the 4 sgoulders look looks silly

in the clockworks spisode od danny phantom   the box ghost and the lunch lady ghost have a child, the boxed lunch ghost.

siri has a poem about the remote control, oh how its absence brings  gloom nothing to do but cross the room.  i couldnt write my rent check by myself.  my cousin put my hand where to sign and i eneded up scrawling downward, ran out of room on the . paper.  i told the house  owner my oring is gone.  took em 3 years to fix my shower knob.  they did give me a new screen door.  enjoying it.  i put my chair in front of it and sit for the breeze.  feels a bit momma bates ish

i hope this isnt gibberish.

This discussion has been closed.