The completely gratuitous complaint thread

Comments

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,318
    edited August 2020

Ah, the waiting game.  (*sigh*)sad  I'm waiting for the development of Star Trek cargo transporter service from Amazon.  You complete payment and your purchase materializes on your desk in 30 seconds.yes  Or 10 seconds for ETS (Express Transporter Service).smiley

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on
  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,088

Still no word from Mistiarra.  Maybe tomorrow or next week.

Wishing the best for Mistiarra.  Be well.

• TJohnTJohn Posts: 11,054

I got my new laptop cooler fans lap platform. Very comfortable and keeping my cpu and gpu nicely cooler by 15-25 degrees C.

TJohn said:

I got my new laptop cooler fans lap platform. Very comfortable and keeping my cpu and gpu nicely cooler by 15-25 degrees C.

Cool! coolyes

• TheKDTheKD Posts: 2,677

So We are on the long drive home from a job, a bit over an hour drive. As we are three exits away from our home exit on the highway we start hearing an odd noise. Turn down the radio, listening, it's a rapid ticking noise as if something is stuck to the tire and wacking the wheel well or something, then loud ass BOOM!! What looked like black rubber flew out, I first thought tire blowout, but no violent shaking ensues. Van just totally dies, we coast to the shoulder of the highway.

Checked what we could see, serpentine belt still there, which was my next guess. Oil is dripping a little, can't see from where though, but then stops. Trying to start it just makes a loud click noise. Call the flatbed, once the front end lifts up onto the bed, oil pours out like niagara falls. Pretty sure the whole oilpan emptied out when the engine was tilted up. Weirdest thing, oil emptying when being tilted up, no clue what happened yet. Probably not good though I am guessing. It's a 9 year old mercedies deisel van, had it 8 or so months, things been in the shop more than the driveway it seems. We just got it back from the shop two weeks ago, and now this. Only one mercedies dealership around here, so we can't really take it to someone else. Seems like they must not know what the hell they are doing or something, or worse doing sabatage on something else everytime they fix something lol....

• McGyverMcGyver Posts: 7,033
    TheKD said:

So We are on the long drive home from a job, a bit over an hour drive. As we are three exits away from our home exit on the highway we start hearing an odd noise. Turn down the radio, listening, it's a rapid ticking noise as if something is stuck to the tire and wacking the wheel well or something, then loud ass BOOM!! What looked like black rubber flew out, I first thought tire blowout, but no violent shaking ensues. Van just totally dies, we coast to the shoulder of the highway.

Checked what we could see, serpentine belt still there, which was my next guess. Oil is dripping a little, can't see from where though, but then stops. Trying to start it just makes a loud click noise. Call the flatbed, once the front end lifts up onto the bed, oil pours out like niagara falls. Pretty sure the whole oilpan emptied out when the engine was tilted up. Weirdest thing, oil emptying when being tilted up, no clue what happened yet. Probably not good though I am guessing. It's a 9 year old mercedies deisel van, had it 8 or so months, things been in the shop more than the driveway it seems. We just got it back from the shop two weeks ago, and now this. Only one mercedies dealership around here, so we can't really take it to someone else. Seems like they must not know what the hell they are doing or something, or worse doing sabatage on something else everytime they fix something lol....

Oil cooler failed catastrophically? Leaking oil like that, the noise and the engine going dead, sounds like a broken timing chain... ? I think there is a main timing chain and the serpentine belts are for accessories... Gushing oil and something flying out could mean the cover broke too... the chain is like three bike chains in a row, so maybe one gave way and started the ticking before the whole thing went... that seems unlikely though.

Or maybe there is an auxiliary belt that broke and debris ripped the oil cooler open?

Not sure what the engine configuration is though.

Either way, sorry to hear this and good luck.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,745

...when I read things like this, it makes me feel fortunate in a way, that I no longer drive. The repair costs alone would bankrupt me, particularly with the new cars today that effectively have "no user servicable parts" (save for the tyres and a few minor items) because everything is computerised so you have to take it in to a certified mechanic.

• TheKDTheKD Posts: 2,677
    edited August 2020
    McGyver said:

Oil cooler failed catastrophically? Leaking oil like that, the noise and the engine going dead, sounds like a broken timing chain... ? I think there is a main timing chain and the serpentine belts are for accessories... Gushing oil and something flying out could mean the cover broke too... the chain is like three bike chains in a row, so maybe one gave way and started the ticking before the whole thing went... that seems unlikely though.

Or maybe there is an auxiliary belt that broke and debris ripped the oil cooler open?

Never really had a deisel engine before, so I am totally out of my depth lol. also, like kyoto said, all this computerised stuff makes self service and such a lot harder than it used to be. I went to class for auto mechanics in high school, but that was like 20 years ago, cars have changed a lot since then haha. At this point, we probably would have been better off buying brand new, with all the money we put into it, on top of the buying price lol. Hindsight is 20/20 as they say.

Post edited by TheKD on
    edited August 2020

Non-complaint:  Again it's time for music to DAZ by.  And again I point to Rachmaninoff.  His 2nd symphony is chock full of beautiful, majestic, grand, serene, melodies.  But just zeroing in on the 3rd movement it's a wonderful piece to have a nap by, or to idly work in DAZ Studio, letting the music wash over you without distracting dynamics or volume.  Played "adagio" or "in slow tempo" as typical of 3rd movements in most symphonies, it takes you on a slow mental gliding tour of the musical landscapes that Rachmaninoff paints so well.  So many descents into various serene tonal valleys and ascents to majestic musical heights.  So much beauty from Rachmaninoff.  Fifteen minutes of quiet musical imagery, perfect for calming one's mind.  Don't let your mind be distracted by daily troubles, just close your eyes, relax, and follow the melody, let it weave its way around the peaks & valleys, hang on to the simple melody, see where it takes you.  Go along for the ride.  

Sergei Rachmaninoff:  2nd symphony, 3rd movement: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59cLZSkkjPA

• RezcaRezca Posts: 3,393
    edited August 2020

Non-complaint:  Again it's time for music to DAZ by.  And again I point to Rachmaninoff.  His 2nd symphony is chock full of beautiful, majestic, grand, serene, melodies.  But just zeroing in on the 3rd movement it's a wonderful piece to have a nap by, or to idly work in DAZ Studio, letting the music wash over you without distracting dynamics or volume.  Played "adagio" or "in slow tempo" as typical of 3rd movements in most symphonies, it takes you on a slow mental gliding tour of the musical landscapes that Rachmaninoff paints so well.  So many descents into various serene tonal valleys and ascents to majestic musical heights.  So much beauty from Rachmaninoff.  Fifteen minutes of quiet musical imagery, perfect for calming one's mind.  Don't let your mind be distracted by daily troubles, just close your eyes, relax, and follow the melody, let it weave its way around the peaks & valleys, hang on to the simple melody, see where it takes you.  Go along for the ride.  

Sergei Rachmaninoff:  2nd symphony, 3rd movement: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59cLZSkkjPA

I'd also heavily suggest  Nightwish's  "All the Works of Nature Which Adorn the World"  disc;  it's split into eight separate tracks and is all Instrumental.

"The Blue"  ends on such a nice note, and  "Auroae"  is so cool, but is criminally short - once it starts getting good it's already over.  "Quiet as the Snow" is nice and peaceful, and then "Ad Astra" opening with a quote about the "Pale Blue Dot" that is Earth before it ends it all on a high note.

Post edited by Rezca on
    McGyver said:
    TheKD said:

If the engine was running hot and smoke boiling out behind th vehicle I would say the oil pump blowed up, but my knowledge is limited to what happened to my vehicles through yea these many years...

TJohn said:
    McGyver said:
    TheKD said:

If the engine was running hot and smoke boiling out behind th vehicle I would say the oil pump blowed up, but my knowledge is limited to what happened to my vehicles through yea these many years...

That's what I thought too, but I think the pump is higher up on the engine (I'm also not sure if the thing I think is the oil pump is in fact that, its a pretty tight configuration) so the oil pouring out when it's tilted up on the wrecker would be less likely, the oil cooler is usually low down and depending on whether it's front or rear wheel drive, tilting it could cause the oil that drained back to a certain level to pour out of whatever breach there was in the oil cooler... I dunno.

My friend actually owns a Freightliner dealership and I've seen a few Sprinters being worked on there, but only casually glanced at them... they also are available with lots of different engine options and even drive configurations, so all of this is a stupid guess on my part... I was actually going to ask him about this in a long running text thread a bunch of friends have going, but I think he might be kinda pissed at us since lately the thread has become more political and less about motorcycles, cars and general stupidity.

edited August 2020

It's a shame that "Click 'n Clack" aren't broadcasting live on the radio anymore (still on, but its all repeats).  They were experts at remote automobile diagnostics. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_and_Ray_Magliozzi

Whenever I was on a long automobile trip I'd eventually scan the radiowaves and end up listening to their show, thinking to my self that "Nope, I'm never going to buy that model of car"

If you can get past their terrible jokes, their analysis and recommendations are interesting.

Short example of show: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMoMpiarYiA

A full show: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSizTJN8mWk

News announcing end of their show: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYCB2atuIxI

Non-complaint:  Wheee...  I went to a restaurant for dinner last night.smiley  Toddled up to our local bar/restaurant at about 5:00 PM.  Couldn't sit down, but their take-out addition was open.  I placed my order then toddled across the parking lot to the grocery store (owned by the same person), bought some essentials (bread, salad stuff, apples, etc.) while waiting for the food to be cooked, then toddled on back to pickup my broiled fish, baked potato w/sour cream, cottage cheese, and a roll.  Toddled on home and luxuriated in someone else's cooking.heart  I even was able to save half of the potato for today (twas a BIG potato).yes

Complaint:

So for the first time in at least a month, it's cool enough and comfortable enough (despite a light rain) to have the windows open instead of using the air conditioning...

So of course the power went out three times this morning triggering some device somewhere nearby to emit a loud shrill beep noise every 64 seconds... 

It sounds like an annoying APC alarm... most likely it's some sort of alarm system back up battery system warning it's dead or dying.

Friggin annoying.

• kyoto kid said:

...an obtuse moose living in an old caboose out on the Palouse eating bacon bowls full of bacon...

Proof that we live in a truly modern era!

TJohn said:

In case someone thought McGyver was making up the Bucket of Bacon thing.

Why doesn't my local Longhorn or Texas Roadhouse not have these sitting on the tables?  It should be placed right in the center of one of those deep-fried onions, yowza!

kyoto kid said:

Crikey even a closet of a room in a shared situation would take about 80% of my monthly income these days (before utilities share).

Hmmm... for that kind of money I have a closet you could move into.enlightened  It's 6 foot long and 5 foot high on the high side and about 3 foot high on the low side.  Room enough?  Although, it does have a door and 6 foot long shelf and a 6 foot long clothes pole too.  Oh, yeah.  And spiders.  No charge for the spiders.  Just feed them weekly.  And heat & A/C if you leave the door open and keep the spiders in the closet.  Electricity can be had from a metered extension cord that I rent to lodgers.  Just give me a months notice and I'll kick the current tenant out. (He's been renegging on the spiders clause.)

Maybe you should invest in spiders who can feed themselves.  I mean, after all, don't they spin webs so that they can catch and eat INSECTS?

I have no patience for things that don't function right in nature.  Bears that wear tutus, spiders that can't eat insects, cats that don't know how to catch and eat mice, and dogs that hide during fireworks?  Next I'll be reading about how eagles need to sit in restaurants and how coyotes should get all the Ben & Jerry's!  cheeky

McGyver said:
    TheKD said:

Would a failed rear seal cause something like that?  Well, except for the flying rubber part; that one has me stumped for sure.

kyoto kid said:

...when I read things like this, it makes me feel fortunate in a way, that I no longer drive. The repair costs alone would bankrupt me, particularly with the new cars today that effectively have "no user servicable parts" (save for the tyres and a few minor items) because everything is computerised so you have to take it in to a certified mechanic.

Young people are more and more frequently skipping the driving scene too.  Insurance, repairs, road tolls, some cities that require you to pay to park in the city center, parking garages that charge $20 per hour, and then you still have to pay for the plate and your driver license.  And now there's noplace you can even go; everything is closed or restricted.  Just call an Uber if you need to go someplace.

I wonder how misty is doing...

Two reasons...  
    One- genuine concern (writer's tip: it's always best to mention that part first) and Two, several days back she mentioned Star Blazers (AKA "Space Battleship Yamato") which made me look for the lyrics to the opening theme... which led me to watching YouTube videos of the opening theme... which led me to having the opening theme stuck in my head. 
    Which I think is now permanent... no amount of heavy metal, salsa music, Vivaldi, or Springsteen seems to be helping.

This is my life now.

I don't know if I'm okay with it yet... But I definitely feel the need to go searching for a distant star while heading off to Iskandar... who know what dangers I'll find?...

Aaaaagh!

• ArtAngelArtAngel Posts: 1,593

I don't have any friends here on Daz that use Photoshop, but if you do maybe this may interest them. Today photoshop decided to make my life miserable for 5 hours. I have a yearly subscription which allows me to work for 99 days under the grid. Today was the day that photoshop decided my system was incompatible but somehow I managed to work under the grid for one year, have it auto renew and work for another 8 mos without worrying about dodging black helicopters like Mel Gibson did. But Adobe did a critical update, July 27th or so, and after 20 mos,  I signed into Creative Cloud and all hell broke loose. All of my Adobe apps. were dead in the water and every single one said incompatible. I suspect it was because of the critical update but none the less the only way I could get the apps to work was update windows. According to support (phone conversation) my 1511 version of windows would not cut it. The version recommended online was 1809 which was bug ridden, (so bad windows thrashed supporting it) but luckily the Adobe Support gal with an accent thicker than mollasses, was a sweetheart, and told me she had used Adobe for 5 years. She put me on hold three different times for 3-5 mins as the scenerio unfolded. Despite the fact that I used it since 1994, my intuition was she knows more than me about this because she's a Cloud Guru and I'm not. She assured me the best version was 1909 not 1903 but my freaking 1080 ti system would not update, because I had turned updates off permanently. Took me two hours to reverse that. But windows decided 1903 was what would be installed. Every Fing thin died. Windows rep vis phone could not even access my system. Start menu was dead. Google was dead and system settings was a gray big block with a white gear. In the end after a ton of run commands did not work, I manged to get online with an old safari version I downlaode to save as jpg vs webp when downloading Daz purchases. The solution was to install 2004 version because, "some people with certain systems have had this issue." The good news is the 451.77 Nvidia driver, throughout this, stayed intact and was not overwritten by the update. Ironically the better 2080 ti system has 1903 installed and running great yet this other system needs the newest window version. Been on this from 4:am califnia time til now. 4.37 pm. twelve hours. So photoshop users beware.

edited August 2020

Ooh, nice systems.yes   "When you ride a wild stallion, getting thrown off is part of the rodeo." devil

I ride a mule, an upgrade from a donkey.  I still get thrown once in a while abut neither one of them is far to fall.

TheKD said:
    McGyver said:

Never really had a deisel engine before, so I am totally out of my depth lol. also, like kyoto said, all this computerised stuff makes self service and such a lot harder than it used to be. I went to class for auto mechanics in high school, but that was like 20 years ago, cars have changed a lot since then haha. At this point, we probably would have been better off buying brand new, with all the money we put into it, on top of the buying price lol. Hindsight is 20/20 as they say.

...yeah, back when I studied mechanics, engines still had carburettors and air cleaners, and when you popped the bonnet, everything was pretty much visible and in relatively decent reach (save for the oil filter and crankcase drain which were below).  Now there's all these hoses, ducts, and other "thingies" in the way making it look more like a warp drive assembly (or something like that). 

ArtAngel said:

I don't have any friends here on Daz that use Photoshop, but if you do maybe this may interest them. Today photoshop decided to make my life miserable for 5 hours. I have a yearly subscription which allows me to work for 99 days under the grid. Today was the day that photoshop decided my system was incompatible but somehow I managed to work under the grid for one year, have it auto renew and work for another 8 mos without worrying about dodging black helicopters like Mel Gibson did. But Adobe did a critical update, July 27th or so, and after 20 mos,  I signed into Creative Cloud and all hell broke loose. All of my Adobe apps. were dead in the water and every single one said incompatible. I suspect it was because of the critical update but none the less the only way I could get the apps to work was update windows. According to support (phone conversation) my 1511 version of windows would not cut it. The version recommended online was 1809 which was bug ridden, (so bad windows thrashed supporting it) but luckily the Adobe Support gal with an accent thicker than mollasses, was a sweetheart, and told me she had used Adobe for 5 years. She put me on hold three different times for 3-5 mins as the scenerio unfolded. Despite the fact that I used it since 1994, my intuition was she knows more than me about this because she's a Cloud Guru and I'm not. She assured me the best version was 1909 not 1903 but my freaking 1080 ti system would not update, because I had turned updates off permanently. Took me two hours to reverse that. But windows decided 1903 was what would be installed. Every Fing thin died. Windows rep vis phone could not even access my system. Start menu was dead. Google was dead and system settings was a gray big block with a white gear. In the end after a ton of run commands did not work, I manged to get online with an old safari version I downlaode to save as jpg vs webp when downloading Daz purchases. The solution was to install 2004 version because, "some people with certain systems have had this issue." The good news is the 451.77 Nvidia driver, throughout this, stayed intact and was not overwritten by the update. Ironically the better 2080 ti system has 1903 installed and running great yet this other system needs the newest window version. Been on this from 4:am califnia time til now. 4.37 pm. twelve hours. So photoshop users beware.

...why I'm still on W7Pro along with using Gimp, Krita, ExposureX3, and PaitnshopPro.  Nothing has to "phone home" or gets mysterious udpates. 

McGyver said:

I wonder how misty is doing...

...yeah been wondering the same thing.  She said that someone was supposed to stay with her for the first 24 hours afterwards but it's been a few days now. 

edited August 2020
    McGyver said:

Complaint:

So for the first time in at least a month, it's cool enough and comfortable enough (despite a light rain) to have the windows open instead of using the air conditioning...

So of course the power went out three times this morning triggering some device somewhere nearby to emit a loud shrill beep noise every 64 seconds... 

It sounds like an annoying APC alarm... most likely it's some sort of alarm system back up battery system warning it's dead or dying.

Friggin annoying.

...been the opposite here the last several days 90s all weekend and today (nearly 100° on Saturday) and more humid than usual.  Haven't been sleeping well consequently. No AC and only a ceiling fan. Closed the windows and blinds by mid morning, but that only made things stuffy.

No places to go to find AC, Cinemas aren't open, restaurants have time limits, pubs only have outdoor seating here to maintain proper distancing (the one I usually go to does have a patio with a canopy which only makes it hotter and more stuffy), and the downtown Mall has been shut since the middle of March.  Finally supposed to break tomorrow somewhat (low 80s) but we still have nearly half of August to go, and we've had 90s as late as mid some years, (particularly when we've had a cool wet June like this year)..

Post edited by kyoto kid on

...interesting, just noticed that any time I open a thread in teh forums, it is flagged as "not secure".  I thought Daz used HTTPS protection.

• DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,139

I see that, too.  I checked another thread, and it doesn't happen.  So, something on the pages in this thread is not secure.  It could be an images that is not on a secure path...something that links to an external source, perhaps.

Dana

Checked several threads and this is one of only two that I've found that this happens to so far.  Something that's in these threads is causing the pages to be unsecure.  Like I said, it's a strong possibility that there is an image linked to an outside source.  This causes the problem because the image is not on the server that is proteced by the site's SSL certificate, or in a folder that is not covered by it.  There are other causes, I'm sure, but this is a common cause.

Dana

It's my fault, I just know it.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    DanaTA said:

Checked several threads and this is one of only two that I've found that this happens to so far.  Something that's in these threads is causing the pages to be unsecure.  Like I said, it's a strong possibility that there is an image linked to an outside source.  This causes the problem because the image is not on the server that is proteced by the site's SSL certificate, or in a folder that is not covered by it.  There are other causes, I'm sure, but this is a common cause.

Dana

Exactly

Chohole said:
    DanaTA said:

Dana

Exactly

So, can a tech there find and eliminate the problem?  It shouldn't just be left like it is.  Even if it's because somebody is linking to an image or animation in their signature that is causing it.  

Dana

edited August 2020

Non-complaint:  Wheee... I had private access to a car today for several hours.  I got my laundry done, I got a flu shot at the drugstore, I had a real sit-down lunch at a fern-bar (Applebee's) enjoying spicy Cajun salmon, garlic mashed potatoes, steamed broccolli with butter & vinegar.  Mmmm, yum!  I had my appointment with my podiatrist to fix my ingrown toenails.  I stopped at Wendy's and had a Jr. Frostie (miniature chocolate milkshake) and took home two big containers of their chili, and I got major grocery shopping done for bulky things like potatoes, onions, bread meats, milk, apples.  Wheee.smiley  I love having wheels.  Especially if I'm not responsible for their upkeep.devil  It's like having grandkids over for an afternoon and then being relieved when they go home.  Fun for a while, but no nasty aftertaste.indecision

'Nother Non-complaint:  Wheeee... two days ago I went for a Sunday afternoon ride with my brother & sister-in-law.  We drove about 40 miles to Cuba. (Cuba, NY).  A tiny town along the Southern-Tier of NY State.  Just a nice pleasant trip through the Allegeny Mountains(hills).  We stopped at the "Cuba Cheese Shop" https://www.cubacheese.com/ for about 20 minutes of gawking at lots of cheeses.  I picked up about $40 worth of Cranberry Wenslydale and various types of Blue Cheeses and some good squeeky cheese curd.  On the way back we stopped at the big outdoor fruit market near home.  I picked up a half of a huge perfectly ripe muskmellon(cantelope),  and half of a perfectly ripe seedless watermelon.  That along with the apples that I bought today means I'll be eating fruit & cheese for every meal and snacks for the next several days.  Mmmm, blue cheese on saltines, and a glass of champagne, and a side dish of ripe, juicy, flavorful, watermellon chunks.  Yum.smiley

What a treat to be able to get out of the house and go places.  And especially if on my own schedule.  Yeah, we had to wear masks in the shops but it's better than sitting home and munching on potato chips while glued to the TV or computer.

This discussion has been closed.