The completely gratuitous complaint thread

Comments

• DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,139

Complaint:  Lost another friend.  Some of you knew her, she used to be in here a lot a few years back.  She went by the name Merleah.  Real name was Leanne.  She passed away on Aug. 7, in the early morning I think they said.  Very sad.  Cancer.  We used to email each other almost every night.  Until that struck, and she was getting treatments...which obviously didn't work.       crying

Dana

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,745
    Gordig said:

Correct. I even paid extra for the fastest shipping. I miss when Newegg shipped everything out of California, because that meant that I'd get it in about two days even with the cheapest shipping option.

...I make sure to always check the "Newegg Only" box when viewing their store pages to avoid having things shipped from other locations, particularly from overseas.. I live "just up the road" from them (so to say) in Oregon so even standard ground shipping gets to me in 2 - 3 days without the premium delivery charge .

• TJohnTJohn Posts: 11,054
    DanaTA said:

Complaint:  Lost another friend.  Some of you knew her, she used to be in here a lot a few years back.  She went by the name Merleah.  Real name was Leanne.  She passed away on Aug. 7, in the early morning I think they said.  Very sad.  Cancer.  We used to email each other almost every night.  Until that struck, and she was getting treatments...which obviously didn't work.       crying

Dana

sadcrying

DanaTA said:

Dana

...sad condolences.  Her forum name is familiar.

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,318

Non-complaint:  Wheee..., another day out.  Got a ride uptown to get rid of some discarded electronic gear, and some big cardboard boxes (lots of NewEgg and Amazon boxes).  Was able to go to the bank, and the drugstore, and the liquor store, and have a Texas-Hot lunch, and pick up a couple ears of fresh-in-the-ground-this-morning-within-1-mile-of-me sweetcorn.  Mmmm..., sweetcorn...  Weather's a little hot today but the vehicle was air-conditioned.yes

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,483
    edited August 2020
    kyoto kid said:
    Gordig said:

Correct. I even paid extra for the fastest shipping. I miss when Newegg shipped everything out of California, because that meant that I'd get it in about two days even with the cheapest shipping option.

...I make sure to always check the "Newegg Only" box when viewing their store pages to avoid having things shipped from other locations, particularly from overseas.. I live "just up the road" from them (so to say) in Oregon so even standard ground shipping gets to me in 2 - 3 days without the premium delivery charge .

neweggship.png
    1567 x 773 - 118K
    Post edited by Gordig on

...I used to work in warehousing and shipping and very familiar with using UPS zone Maps .  For standard (ground) delivery the time can vary, particularly for shipments across the country from the point of origin (I am in "Zone 2" from California hence why ground shipments get to me rather quick).  Express delivery is supposed to be guaranteed by the service level (3-Day [Orange], 2nd Day Air [Blue], Overnight [Red]).  If you were guaranteed delivery using express service and it didn't make the plane, that is UPS's responsibility. With UPS, express shipments needed to arrive at the local UPS airport terminal no later than 18:00 local time.(our last rush order pickup was 16:30).

• McGyverMcGyver Posts: 7,033
    AnestisK said:

Hi all, new to DAZ Studio (as in mostly a week new.  I mean I had version 3 ages ago, but never did anything with it.  JUst only recently started to get mroe into it.

Made a suggestion in the Product Suggestions, and copping flak for it and certain people either being obtuse (suggesting I do advanced things that I don't knwo how to do yet) and/or rude (saying I have an attitude for telling people that I am a beginner and can't do the advanced things they are suggesting).  Really, is this how people help others out, especially those who have health issues?

Kind of depresses me and makes me not want to post in the forums anymore and maybe even give up. :-( (yes, that's my depression talking).

Tell me there are actual helpful people in the forums.

(Yes, this is a bit of a knee-jerk post. Thank you depression).

Don't be depressed... read a few of my posts and you'll be so confused you'll forget you were feeling depressed. 
    Also don't give up... unless it's something like eating buckets of bacon... that's probably not good for you and you should stop that immediately if you are in fact doing this...  
    I mean if you are already eating a bucket of bacon right now, finish it because it's not good to waste food, especially bacon (it'll anger the pork gods), but try and refrain from it in the future...

If you aren't eating buckets of bacon... kudos to you, I wish I could have that much self control.

Also, if you are in Bacon Addicts Anonymous, sorry that I brought up the delicious porky goodness of bacon and started you hungering for piles of scrumptious fatty fried pig slices... I probably shouldn't be describing it that way if you are in BAA, as that might trigger a bacon relapse and that would be irresponsible of me to be using words like "delicious" and "scrumptious" to describe bacon.

I should probably move on from the bacon thing...

I don't know what transpired in the other forums/posts, but don't let it bother you... sometimes people don't get what other people are asking about or misinterpret a question or statement and everything falls apart...

In the past (not too far back, like in Ancient Greece or anything) I've tried to cheer people up a couple of times and it's gone completely to hell because in retrospect, stuff I've said could have been taken as satirical as I meant it or as a mean comment if you really, really wanted to find an alternative meaning in what I said... like for example my comment about "buckets of bacon"... Since most people don't actually eat buckets of bacon, most people would read that and either say "ha-ha, buckets of bacon, what a witty bastard" or ignore that entirely because it's not really that funny and move on hoping I was getting to a point (Haa! Good luck with that!)... But some folks might be offended because they might think I'm bacon shaming them or they feel I'm trying to tempt them into indulging in buckets of heart stopping porky decadence which is bad for their health and that I'm a terrible person because of that.

I assure you, I'm a terrible person for a lot more interesting reasons, and that's not one of them. Far from it.

I've seen a lot threads where someone asks a question or makes a statement and someone else will take offense to it thinking it's a jab against that particular group or product and they automatically give a sharp response. That used to happen to me when I was new here... but over time anyone who has been here long enough to has learned to pretty much ignore me like a defective washing machine... someone new comes along and they hear that washing machine and they are taken aback thinking two robot are either fighting or making love in the laundry room, but the person who lives there is used to the noise and is like "horny robots?"... I'm not implying I'm a robot either... in fact I don't get along with robots at all... but we'll get back to the horny robot thing later... my strategy on most if not all forums is to have a really short attention span and to make so many convoluted statements that nobody really knows if I'm being abstruse, obtuse or a poor excuse for a moose. 
    Would that have been funnier if I said goose?... I feel moose is less expected than goose, so especially if one is large mammal deprived, that could be potentially humorous.  
    You are probably thinking "why would I want to make convoluted statements, that's not productive, I'll never get any questions answered"... and... you know... that's actually a good point...  
    I never thought of it like that... no wonder everyone ignores me. 
    I thought I was being funny all these years and instead I was just being a big annoying moose... 

Wow... that was very insightful, but my short attention span has kicked in and I'm bored with self discovery already... To be honest I think I had a point I was getting to, maybe about horny robots or something, but I've pretty much forgotten it... I know it started out with your post and maybe I was trying to cheer you up by...

BACON! This was about bacon, right?  You were at the Bacon Forum and people were all annoyed because you said bacon smoothies weren't a healthy snack option and people called you a mass murderer because something, something... ah... that's not it either... look, I know I could just scroll up and look at your post or actually look back two or three sentences and take a much better stab at guess where the hell this was going, but isn't this way more confusing?  
    Come on admit it... if you haven't already deleted your account or thrown your computer out the window because of this post, you are mildly intrigued to see where this is going... you followed it down the rabbit hole this far and now you want resolution... god, you are going to be disappointed, but it wasn't a bad idea... most great adventures start with a break in one's normal expectations... a conversation with a mysterious stranger, an encounter with a talking cat... Most of my adventures these day start with horny robots or talking animals... which is kinda sad, because now whenever I see a sexy robot or a possum with a top hat, I just know where it's going... 
    I really miss the 80s where it was mostly random time traveling incidents and nerdy aliens mistaking me for someone else.  
    Good adventures are hard to come by these days... 

Thats kinda depressing...

Luckily I've got a really short attention span and whenever I'm feeling down I just look for random threads to post dumb comments on... That used to cheer me up more than my old reaction, which was to go to the park and shout at squirrels... but squirrels are really stupid and they'd think I was calling them to offer them treats and one thing led to another and before I knew it I was sewing tiny costumes for them for my all squirrel rendition of Shakespeare In The Park... which really was a colossal waste of time... the critics were so mean about the performances and the rabies and other stuff... it really bummed me out and I had to turn to making bizarrely long posts in random forums in a misguided attempt to bring joy to others, but then I recently discovered that my convoluted stories and twisted point paths confused people and that why so many people ignored me or threw their computers out the window, which while that may be great for the computer repair industry isn't good the people who I'm trying to cheer up.

I really suck at this... I was hoping I could cheer you up and make you feel more welcome here, but I'm afraid all I deliver was a possible desire to explore the magic of bacon addiction and maybe more questions than answers about why I have adventures with sexy robots and possums wearing top hats.

I won't bore you with those stupid stories... maybe others later... I'm pretty sure nothing will stop me from making these sorta posts...

Well, hopefully you have forgotten whatever it was that bothered you earlier...

I know I have no idea what the hell it was anymore, but I hope you feel slightly better if not more confused (though more likely sleepy, nauseous, a little dizzy and craving a bacon smoothie).

I tried.

Cheers.

• AnestisKAnestisK Posts: 38
    Gordig said:
    AnestisK said:

DanaTA said:
    AnestisK said:

Hi all, new to DAZ Studio (as in mostly a week new.  I mean I had version 3 ages ago, but never did anything with it.  JUst only recently started to get mroe into it.

Made a suggestion in the Product Suggestions, and copping flak for it and certain people either being obtuse (suggesting I do advanced things that I don't knwo how to do yet) and/or rude (saying I have an attitude for telling people that I am a beginner and can't do the advanced things they are suggesting).  Really, is this how people help others out, especially those who have health issues?

Kind of depresses me and makes me not want to post in the forums anymore and maybe even give up. :-( (yes, that's my depression talking).

A worthy complaint, for sure!   I feel really bad for you!  There are a few like that, but I've found people in the forums here usually fairly helpful.  There are some that are self-righteous, yes.  I hope you don't give up too quickly.  There are friendly folks her in the complaint threads!

Dana

Thanks Dana.  I appreciate the kind words.  I'm looking to set some time aside to do a few more of the tutorials this weekend (hopefully).

And my condolences for the loss of your friend.

edited August 2020

No word from Mistiara yet.  So, I'm assuming she made it to her surgery and is still probably kinda loopy from the la-la drugs and has bandages on her eye and still can't see out of the other one.  Maybe tomorrow or next week.

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on

...an obtuse moose living in an old caboose out on the Palouse eating bacon bowls full of bacon...

edited August 2020

...well, they started demolishing the old Central Postal Distribution Centre across the intersection from my building oday so in for some rather noisy mornings and afternoons for a while.  The USPS operation was moved out to east county by the airport a couple years ago and the buildings here just stood vacant with only the customer service portion (basic post office functions save for PO boxes) remaining open.  The entire block (actually about 4 square blocks in area  is scheduled to be developed into a residential and commercial  complex with greenways so even more noise for years to come  Originally there was talk of it becoming an Amazon distribution house, but glad that didn't work out as we'd have big rigs pulling in and out 24/7,often engine braking as they came down the ramp from the bridge.

The basic plan actually looks nice and enhances hte area, but will take about 3 - 4 years to complete. I say just make it a nice open space, put in a foodie cart pod and a farmer's market, and call it a day.

Post edited by kyoto kid on

Of course you realize, the rents will go up.frown

...yeah, Portland is noted for that.  Fortunately I live in one of the few rent subsidised/controlled buildings in town. Even with all the noise that will occur over the next several years, going to stay where I am as market level rents here even for a shoebox of a studio are more than my monthly SS benefit, and wait lists for low income units are now measured in years (if not closed indefinitely). Crikey even a closet of a room in a shared situation would take about 80% of my monthly income these days (before utilities share).

AnestisK said:
    Gordig said:
    AnestisK said:

DanaTA said:
    AnestisK said:

A worthy complaint, for sure!   I feel really bad for you!  There are a few like that, but I've found people in the forums here usually fairly helpful.  There are some that are self-righteous, yes.  I hope you don't give up too quickly.  There are friendly folks her in the complaint threads!

Dana

Thanks Dana.  I appreciate the kind words.  I'm looking to set some time aside to do a few more of the tutorials this weekend (hopefully).

And my condolences for the loss of your friend.

You're welcome!  I hope you have fun with this 3D stuff as you learn more from the tutorials!

And thank you!

Dana

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 7,939
    DanaTA said:

Dana

Condolences to family and friends !

Lost my father from cancer, firstly lung then brain tumour, sometimes it beats the best the medicos throw at it.

Bunyip02 said:
    DanaTA said:

Dana

Condolences to family and friends !

Lost my father from cancer, firstly lung then brain tumour, sometimes it beats the best the medicos throw at it.

Thank you.  

We lost a dear family friend to a fast moving cancer a couple of years ago.  I knew her since I was a little kid.  Cancer sucks!

Dana

DanaTA said:

Dana

Wow, sorry I missed your post... I don't think I'm familiar with Merleah (I tend to remember avatars more than names) and I wasn't aware of this sad news.
    My condolences to you and her loved ones.

McGyver said:
    DanaTA said:

Dana

Wow, sorry I missed your post... I don't think I'm familiar with Merleah (I tend to remember avatars more than names) and I wasn't aware of this sad news.
    My condolences to you and her loved ones.

Her avatar was a blonde mermaid.  Her real name is Leanne.  Thus...Merlea.  (I mistakenly added the "h" at the end in my last post)

Dana

• TJohnTJohn Posts: 11,054

In case someone thought McGyver was making up the Bucket of Bacon thing.

edited August 2020
    kyoto kid said:

Crikey even a closet of a room in a shared situation would take about 80% of my monthly income these days (before utilities share).

Hmmm... for that kind of money I have a closet you could move into.enlightened  It's 6 foot long and 5 foot high on the high side and about 3 foot high on the low side.  Room enough?  Although, it does have a door and 6 foot long shelf and a 6 foot long clothes pole too.  Oh, yeah.  And spiders.  No charge for the spiders.  Just feed them weekly.  And heat & A/C if you leave the door open and keep the spiders in the closet.  Electricity can be had from a metered extension cord that I rent to lodgers.  Just give me a months notice and I'll kick the current tenant out. (He's been renegging on the spiders clause.)

• starionwolfstarionwolf Posts: 3,667

Refrigerator is not cooling well.  Food might be spoiled including milk and juice.  Eating spoiled food can explain why I had stomach aches for the past 15 days or so.

edited August 2020
    kyoto kid said:

Crikey even a closet of a room in a shared situation would take about 80% of my monthly income these days (before utilities share).

Hmmm... for that kind of money I have a closet you could move into.enlightened  It's 6 foot long and 5 foot high on the high side and about 3 foot high on the low side.  Room enough?  Although, it does have a door and 6 foot long shelf and a 6 foot long clothes pole too.  Oh, yeah.  And spiders.  No charge for the spiders.  Just feed them weekly.  And heat & A/C if you leave the door open and keep the spiders in the closet.  Electricity can be had from a metered extension cord that I rent to lodgers.  Just give me a months notice and I'll kick the current tenant out. (He's been renegging on the spiders clause.)

...already dealt with spiders at another place I lived in.  Nah.  Also need to stay in the city as I don't drive either (and "real winter" just doesn't sit well with my bones & joints anymore). wink

Sad as after I first moved here 31 years ago and got a halfway decent paying job for the time, I rented a big 1 BR flat (classy old deco building) in a nice part of town (not far from the city centre) that was less than half of what a single room (with the all wonderful features of having others underfoot, hogging the loo, stealing your food, etc.) goes for today. Don't even want to know what tha flat rents for now. 

After that. two coworkers and myself rented a big three floor Victorian for about 25$ more (total, which we split three ways) than I am paying for my current place.  It was still close in to town and in a nice area as well.

Times have changed and not for the better.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
    edited August 2020

Complaint:  I'm already $200 over budget and there's still a week left in this "month" before my next SS deposit.sad  Although, a lot of the missing cash was converted into storable food-stuffs.  I threw away a shelf of old computer hardware & cables and set about filling that shelf with food.indecision  With the current upheavals I want to keep a month or two buffer of food.  When cold weather starts, I'll be about ready to clean off another shelf and pack in even more food stuffs.  I'd get an actual freezer for more frozen stuff but I don't have room for a separate freezer, nor money for one.  I hate the 5-week SS months that occur 3 or 4 times a year.  My budget is crafted for 4-week months.frown  I could survive on dry cereal or canned peas but it would shoot my nutritional balance all to hell.  Cookies, must stock up on cookies & chocolate.devil

It's also time to start stocking up on toilet paper again too.surprise

Still no word from Mistiarra.  Maybe tomorrow or next week.

Got my card installed, but had to slightly disassemble my case to do it. When I built this computer, I deliberately bought just about the shallowest case I could find, because I was originally planning this as a mobile audio production rig, with an eye towards video editing. Daz and 3D work in general wasn’t even a consideration at the time. So even though I knew all this when I bought the 2060, I never got around to looking up the dimensions to see if I’d need a new case as well. 

4D2EE396-8048-4C91-8BFC-68B655AA3CA6.jpeg
    1594 x 2046 - 615K

Refrigerator is not cooling well.  Food might be spoiled including milk and juice.  Eating spoiled food can explain why I had stomach aches for the past 15 days or so.

Mine too... it's been that way for at least a week... we'll have to wait until the 24th for someone to come to either fix it or sign off on replacing it.

I don't feel this will be resolved until the middle of September... Luckly we have two other fridges we can use.

Apparently the pandemic has really messed with appliance repair, especially refrigeration.

edited August 2020
    Gordig said:

Got my card installed, but had to slightly disassemble my case to do it. When I built this computer, I deliberately bought just about the shallowest case I could find, because I was originally planning this as a mobile audio production rig, with an eye towards video editing. Daz and 3D work in general wasn’t even a consideration at the time. So even though I knew all this when I bought the 2060, I never got around to looking up the dimensions to see if I’d need a new case as well. 

Ummm... what am I looking at?    Looks like you had to remove the front of the case?surprise  Ah, dimensions... they'll get you if'n you don't watch out.   I almost ran into a similar problem.  I didn't get such a nice card when I built a new machine into an old HP case.  But the one I did get had to be very carefully squeezed into my existing case and I had to buy a special SATA cable with a 90 degree bend to permit it to fit into it's place on the motherboard under the back end (front end?) of the card.  Also, I think there's barely an 1/8th inch gap between the end of the card and the hard drive cage.  What I have now, works and I'm happy with it.  But I've been thinking about someday getting a proper sized case and moving all the guts from that old HP case into a nice new case with room for more fans and a way to properly deal with all that length of power cables.  I've done OK in the cramped old HP case by hiding some of the excess power cables in an empty CD cage area, and the other cables are sort of neatly tie-wrapped together and routed semi-cleverly where needed.  But it's still crowded in there.indecision

The front panel is still mostly on, but I had to remove the SAS drive bays, which are in the structure that's sitting in the front. This is my case: https://www.newegg.com/norco-rpc-4308/p/N82E16811219051?Item=N82E16811219051

• AnestisKAnestisK Posts: 38

Non-Complaint: Bought a new mid-range graphics card a couple of weeks back (MSI Radeon RX580).

Today just bought:

• Motherboard/CPU/Memory Bundle:
      • Gigabyte B550 AORUS PRO AX motherboard
      • AMD Ryzen 7 3700X CPU
      • Corsair Vengeance LPX CMK16GX4M2B3200C16 16GB (2x8GB) 3200MHz DDR4
    • Corsair 850W RM850x Power Supply, 80 PLUS Gold, 135mm Fan, 2x EPS, 6x PCI-E, 8x Molex, 10x SATA, 1x Floppy, Fully Modular, Zero RPM Technology, White Colour

Complaint: Have to wait a month (monthly pay) to buy the SSD Drives (1 TB for the OS, 2 TB for data/storage/applications), case, and case fans.

This discussion has been closed.