The completely gratuitous complaint thread

Comments

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,940
    McGyver said:
    McGyver said:

This one had a sorta Jurassic Park vibe... 

I swear there was a brachiosaurus there when I took that...

He's still there; just hiding amongst the trees.

Um, no grass during the Jurassic period.indecision

John Hammond/InGen's mid 90's tropical Death-By-Dinosaur theme park- "Mostly Cretaceous, (But A Little Bit) Jurassic Park"...
    They had grass there... probably because the movie was supposed to have taken place on a bunch of islands close to Costa Rica... also because most of the dinosaurs were Cretaceous and were glammed up for dramatic effect and science took a bit of a back seat.
    So you are correct, the Jurassic dinosaurs would have been like "What the froyo, bro?"..."What's this stringy green stuff?"... But the mostly Cretaceous dinosaurs would have been like "Yo, I know this stuff... A Bruhathkayosaurus from India told me about this... it's like the new moss or something... you can eat it or make a nest out of it or even smoke it...".
    Okay, they probably didn't smoke that grass, but apparently some time in the early 2000's scientists discovered some fossilized Dino-dung with grass bits in it.  
    I had no idea about that, I was actually looking for an article about the groundcovers (back then mostly mosses and ferns) that may have occupied the same niche as grass, but I found this... https://www.livescience.com/3912-dung-reveals-dinosaurs-ate-grass.html
    Which is kinda interesting because (I think this article mentions it), I've read there were some small mammals in existence back then that seemed to be very similar to ones that subsist off of grasses, but there was no evidence grass existed back then so it puzzled scientists as to what their diet was... I assumed they were time traveling mice, but apparently not.

I'm annoyed I can't find the article about the plants that dinosaurs fed on that were very similar to grasses, it was pretty interesting because while these plants were not grasses, there were a bunch of plants that probably looked almost similar and would not have been that unfamiliar looking today... I think the article was sort of about how sometimes illustrators who are aware grass didn't exist yet, leave out all groundcovers, like it's grass or nothing.  
    I hate when the internet buries interesting stuff under tons of lame articles... it's especially frustrating when you discover something by "going down the rabbit hole" going from one link to another until you have no idea how you got there and once you lose that article, you can never find it again.

According to other things I found, the grasses that did exist were probably mostly were from India, parts of Africa and South America, possibly having spread from South America... but most of these articles are from 2005 and anything newer seems almost cut and paste... I wonder if anything new has been found.

• starionwolfstarionwolf Posts: 3,670

another day of thunderstorms in the Washington/Baltimore area.  Time for me to log out of the Daz website.

• McGyverMcGyver Posts: 7,047
    kyoto kid said:
    McGyver said:
    McGyver said:

This one had a sorta Jurassic Park vibe... 

I swear there was a brachiosaurus there when I took that...

He's still there; just hiding amongst the trees.

Um, no grass during the Jurassic period.indecision

John Hammond/InGen's mid 90's tropical Death-By-Dinosaur theme park- "Mostly Cretaceous, (But A Little Bit) Jurassic Park"...
    They had grass there... probably because the movie was supposed to have taken place on a bunch of islands close to Costa Rica... also because most of the dinosaurs were Cretaceous and were glammed up for dramatic effect and science took a bit of a back seat.
    So you are correct, the Jurassic dinosaurs would have been like "What the froyo, bro?"..."What's this stringy green stuff?"... But the mostly Cretaceous dinosaurs would have been like "Yo, I know this stuff... A Bruhathkayosaurus from India told me about this... it's like the new moss or something... you can eat it or make a nest out of it or even smoke it...".
    Okay, they probably didn't smoke that grass, but apparently some time in the early 2000's scientists discovered some fossilized Dino-dung with grass bits in it.  
    I had no idea about that, I was actually looking for an article about the groundcovers (back then mostly mosses and ferns) that may have occupied the same niche as grass, but I found this... https://www.livescience.com/3912-dung-reveals-dinosaurs-ate-grass.html
    Which is kinda interesting because (I think this article mentions it), I've read there were some small mammals in existence back then that seemed to be very similar to ones that subsist off of grasses, but there was no evidence grass existed back then so it puzzled scientists as to what their diet was... I assumed they were time traveling mice, but apparently not.

I'm annoyed I can't find the article about the plants that dinosaurs fed on that were very similar to grasses, it was pretty interesting because while these plants were not grasses, there were a bunch of plants that probably looked almost similar and would not have been that unfamiliar looking today... I think the article was sort of about how sometimes illustrators who are aware grass didn't exist yet, leave out all groundcovers, like it's grass or nothing.  
    I hate when the internet buries interesting stuff under tons of lame articles... it's especially frustrating when you discover something by "going down the rabbit hole" going from one link to another until you have no idea how you got there and once you lose that article, you can never find it again.

According to other things I found, the grasses that did exist were probably mostly were from India, parts of Africa and South America, possibly having spread from South America... but most of these articles are from 2005 and anything newer seems almost cut and paste... I wonder if anything new has been found.

The mammals got them hooked.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,582
    McGyver said:
    fred9803 said:

Complaint - I've been watching the Champions League games and there's a massive crowd roaring in the background, but you can see that all the stands are empty. I've also watched some of the games with realistic sound, ie. none.

Not sure what's worse/better, a silent football match or games with fake crowd sound effects.

Ghosts... the tortured souls of a thousand football fans condemned to forever haunt the stands in eternal torment... that might be marginally worse.

Marginally.

Silence is odd, but genuine... the canned cheers are weird, it's a football match, not 70s sitcom... and that leads me back to the ghosts... how do we know who those cheers were for... or when... or how many of those folks are still kicking about.  
    Think about how many rabid fans are out there who might not like their cheers misappropriated, plagiarized for the actions of a different team...

Yeah... it's not long before we see a massive spectral eruption, a phantasmagorical event that would surpass even the great Manhattan Crossrip of 1984 or the Philadelphia Mass Turbulence of 1947, we're talking psychotically enraged sports wraiths, not mere shadows, but focused, non-terminal repeating phantasms, the big, bad nasty ones... class five full-roaming vapors! This won't be a bunch of trick or treater in sheets, going "Boo"!... This will lead to an upheaval of biblical proportions, fire and brimstone, rivers and seas boiling, the dead rising from their graves, human sacrifices... cats and dogs living together... Mass hysteria!

Then who you gonna call?

Nobody, that's who...

Quiet matches are way better.

Or worse:  https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/431406/wip-anarchy-ghouls-commercial

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,900

Piecing together a future computer build, and I'm having that problem again where the things I want are so specific that nobody actually makes them.

edited August 2020

someone must have been bored during lockdown because they stole my gaming account.  I was able to regain control of the gaming account because I could provide the card details to prove that I own the account.  :D  I don't have any good games on that account anyways.  Time for me to scan the computer for unwanted programs.

Post edited by starionwolf on

...ugh, top four products on my wishlist have perpetual swirlies so I have no idea what they are.  Been going on like that for about 30 min now.  

• DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,178
    edited August 2020

Happy Birthday, TJohn!

Dana

Post edited by DanaTA on

I didn't know it was Tjohn's B-Day... (thanks Dana)

Happy Birthday Tjohn!

I hope the Birthday Pangolin brought you lots of nice stuff... or at least didn't poop on the carpet when it visited... Pangolin poop is so hard to clean up... not like wombat poo in those neat little cubes... 
    At least you can dry those and make dice out of them... With pangolins it's like "eeew... what did you eat?"... 

Okay... sorry, I won't ruin this by going off on something weird again... most people don't enjoy poop talks on their birthday.

Hee-hee... "Poop talk"... like "Pep talk"... get it...

No...

It wasn't that funny.

It wasn't funny at all.

I'm a bad person... relying on cheap potty humor to bring birthday cheer.

Anyway... have a great birthday (watch where you step) and may you have many, many more!

• RezcaRezca Posts: 3,393
    DanaTA said:

Happy Birthday, TJohn!

Dana

Is a birfday? Happy birfday then!!  :D

• Charlie JudgeCharlie Judge Posts: 12,643

I'm beginning to worry about Mysti. According to her profile she hasn't been active on the site since 21 August. And it isn't like Mysti to be gone so long. I hope she is OK and will be back soon.

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,452

Yeah, I'm a little concerned too.  Too long for recovery.  

edited August 2020

OK I'm Dumb:  Having run out of functional computers to fix and improve, bored with TV, & quarantined, I've dug into my box of computer stuff and found the motherboard for an old computer that mostly worked but was irritatingly intermittant and annoyingly slow.  But it had 6 SATA ports, 8GB RAM and mostly worked.  That was the old HP machine that I ripped the guts out of and replaced with all new parts to build my new wonderful 32GB DAZzing machine.  Consequently I still have the old power supply (EVGA 500w), motherboard w/8G RAM, SATA CD drive, SATA hard drive, and a tolerable graphics card.  Rather than junking all those parts I decided to set those parts on a tabletop without a case just to play with it.  Geek fun.smiley  Everything's connected and I even found an old monitor, keyboard & mouse and its original OEM Windows7 install disk & license key. Yay for hoarding tendencies. 

With everything ready to go, I turn on the powersupply main switch and nothing happens.  Then I remember, oh yeah, I need to press the power switch for the motherboard.  But of course I have no switch for the motherboard because it's still in the case being used by my new DAZzing machine.frown  (*Sigh*)  OK, so all I have to do is rig a switch between the correct pins on the motherboard.  I've found the 9-pin header but I'm stuck trying to figure out which pins to connect to my switch.  Also, is it a simple short between two pins?

My motherboard is an Asus IPIBL-LB  I've Googled and found out that most Asus boards have the same header pinout, and I've actually found a diagram for the header but it's such low resolution that I can't read it.  There's precious little written on the board itself but it seems to match the diagram I found on the web.  I don't care about LED lights (yet), I just want to signal to the motherboard to turn itself on without shorting the wrong pins and letting the blue smoke out of anything.

Also, all my components are sitting on a cardboard base.  Isolated from each other.  Is it necessary to have them all grounded like when mounted in a case?  Or are the power connections through the power supply sufficient.  Yeah, maybe I'm dumb, but perhaps I'm just naive and overly cautious.  I have a BSEE degree but the world has changed since my vacuum tube days.  And most of my degree program was in radio, antennas, and transmission lines.  Not that I used any of it anyway, I drifted to computer programming & network management when I got out into the workplace.

The world won't fall apart if I let the blue smoke out of something in this ugly creation on my table, I was ready to discard much of it anyway.  But I'd like to tinker with this concoction to help keep from going stir-crazy.

HELP!

ASUS IPIBL-LBpins.png
    657 x 465 - 26K
    Post edited by LeatherGryphon on

i should change the email address associated with my online Poser account if I remember my username.

edited August 2020

Not quite so dumb:  OK, I found some of my answers.  

1) The power switch for the motherboard is NOT a continuous short.  The switch is a momentary contact switch and shorts the positive and negative power pins of the header (pins 6 & 8 on my board as illustrated in the diagram I gave above.  Shorting the two pins momentarily with an insulated screwdriver will start the system.  Shorting momentarily again will turn it off.

2) My concoction of circuit boards, power supplies, and disk drives sitting on cardboard appears to function without burning or shorting, so I'm not going to worry about grounding.

I've been able to load my Win7 installation CD and it's in the process of installing Win7 onto this system.  Yay!

HOWEVER, when I turn the system on, the system immediately complains about my CPU fan not working.  But I can see the fan working, so the error appears erroneous.  I had replaced the fan with a different one so maybe it's a setting in the BIOS?  The system gives me the option to continue with booting if I press the "F2" key.  I do.  It does. yes

My new toy.smiley

DSCN3766_1333x1000.jpg
    1333 x 1000 - 147K

What will you do now?  Find more old parts?

Dana

• TJohnTJohn Posts: 11,072

Thanks for the "Happy"s! 

• TheKDTheKD Posts: 2,677

EAT CAKE!

Yeah, I'm a little concerned too.  Too long for recovery.  

Well, maybe she is having complications and the recovery is slower than expected... I really hope she is okay.

The sad part here is I'm probably the nearest to her location... I have a general idea where she works and pass by there often on my way to my friend's truck dealership... I even have a vague idea where she lives (or probably used to live) based on a photo she once posted of her area after a hurricane.

Sad that the world is the way it is and that it's wrong to get too involved in checking on someone you are concerned about.

I hope she is okay... I feel like I should have offered to do something like check on her, but that's just weird.

Maybe her eyes are still recuperating and our fonts aren't big enough...

MISTY IF YOU ARE OUT THERE - LET US KNOW YOU ARE OKAY!!!

the new email service that I just opened is down.  Ugg.  Maybe I'll try using service from a bigger company.

It's possible that they told Misty not to stare at computer monitors for a while.  I'm just guessing, of course.  I hope she's OK.

Dana

DanaTA said:

It's possible that they told Misty not to stare at computer monitors for a while.  I'm just guessing, of course.  I hope she's OK.

Dana

...indeed. Still would like some sort of update.just to know she's OK. 

edited August 2020
    DanaTA said:

What will you do now?  Find more old parts?

Dana

Why yes!  Yes I will.devil  In fact I already have.surprise  I discovered the reason for my fan warning was because I had no fan.  I had the CPU fan OK, but I'd completely forgotten about the case fan or "Sys Fan" as the BIOS calls it.  I rummaged around and found an old case fan with a 3-connector plug, and my boot issue is solved.  Yay!smiley

Actually the reason this motherboard had been retired was its tendency to bluescreen with hardware issues.  During the process of rebuilding the motherboard I discovered that one of the four RAM modules was just a teensy bit not completely inserted into its slot.  Maybe that will make a difference.  The motherboard uses DDR3 memory at 800 speed.  And the CPU clock is only 2.2GHz.  So, it's not the fastest rabbit on the farm.

Unfortunately, now my problem is activation.  Win7 "Activation Period Has Expired".  OK, so the system is running non-activated and perhaps I can use my existing Win10 installation USB thumbdrive.  But wait... this motherboard can't boot via USBfrown.  Perhaps I can connect to Microsoft and download the Win10 upgrade install package.  But wait... This version isn't activated and deemed "legal" yet.  Also, I'm using an early (and un-updated) virgin version of Win7 and its ancient copy of InternetExplorer.frown  Well, perhaps I can download and burn a Win10 installation package onto DVDs.  But wait.. oh yeah, I need dual sided DVDs and a reader that can read them.frown  Oh, wait... Now I notice that my LAN connection no longer works. crying  Toys are not supposed to make one cry.sad  Ah, but wait... I have a box of old LAN cards and one of them is bound to work in either the old PCI slot or one of the new PCIe-x1 slots.  Or if that avenue is closed, then I know I have a couple of wireless PCIe cards or wireless USB dongles.  Yea, a whole day of busy-ness.yes

Complaint:  Last night around 5:00 when I was armpit deep in open boxes and haphazzardly connected computer equipment, the power went out.angry  Luckily I have a gas stove and was able (with the aid of a match) to warm up some soup for supper.  No power for hour after hour.  Nice outside and plenty of light after the storm.  But after dark, life quickly got boring.  Lights flickered twice during the evening and finally came on for good at three minutes before midnight.  No, it wasn't the hurricane.  We're too far north for it to have affected us yet.  It was just a fast moving cold front displacing hot humid air that's been hanging over us for a couple weeks.  In fact it's the same cold front that is driving the hurricane quickly eastward now, down in the Carolinas instead of letting it come farther north as they typically do when they come in from the Caribbean.

• TaozTaoz Posts: 9,879

Last time I checked the Win 10 download only required a single layer DVD.

• TheKDTheKD Posts: 2,677

Last year I finall caved and bought a backup generator. Best investment ever. If there is no power during rainstorms/when there is fast snow meltoff, basement will get a few foots of water lol. Need those sump pumps working. Plus don't have to worry about the freezer full of moose/deer and salmon going bad anymore.

edited August 2020
    Taoz said:

Last time I checked the Win 10 download only required a single layer DVD.

Ah, yes.  I now remember you saying that the last time I kevetched about it.blush  I can give that a try.  But in the meantime I went through my box of LAN cards and couldn't get any of them to work.  Either they weren't immediately recognized by the Win7, or I had no driver CD for them.  HOWEVER, I did find a USB wireless dongle that had it's installation CD and I am now on the network.  Although I'm confused as to why my on-board LAN didn't work like it did last night.  But then upon reflection I seem to remember that a non-functioning on-board LAN was one of the reasons the old system had a separate LAN card installed at one time.  I guess it's possible that the on-board LAN chip or connector has an intermittant connection.  But regardless, it doesn't work now.   And besides, the on-board LAN was only a 10 Mbps connection anyway.surprise

But now, being on the network and at a workable speed, I can find new drivers for the other LAN cards but in the meantime I'll work with the USB wireless dongle.smiley

I finally was able to Activate my copy of Win7.  The automatic on-line mechanism is no longer supported for Win7 but I was able to use their suggestion of automated phone support, which worked out well.  I'm legal again! Yay.yes

So, now maybe I can use a download of Win10 installation support instead of going through the173 updates found available to update my Win7.  But do I really want to cram Win10 down the throat of this ancient beast?  Perhaps it might be convenient to have a working Win7 system available.enlightened  Decisions, decisions.  indecision

• TaozTaoz Posts: 9,879

I still have both a Win 7 and a Win 8 system, but mostly for testing backwards compatibility of software I'm developing.  I would rather have Win 10 on all machines, I already have in on three, their mainboards and CPUs are all 10-14 year old but Win 10 is running fine and rock stable anyway.

edited August 2020

...OK so was working on a large scene for a while and things began to grind to a snail's pace (lots of "not responding" messages and white windows) . So I saved where I was at (took nearly 10 min just to get that to happen) then shut Daz down to clear memory and buffers. When I checked the progress on Task Manger, I noticed instead of reducing in size, the memory load almost doubled well after I shut the programme down.  I can see it taking time to clear out of memory after a long and involved session, but increasing in size like it did made no sense.  

Post edited by kyoto kid on
    kyoto kid said:

...OK so was working on a large scene for a while and things began to grind to a snail's pace (lots of "not responding" messages and white windows) . So I saved where I was at (took nearly 10 min just to get that to happen) then shut Daz down to clear memory and buffers. When I checked the progress on Task Manger, I noticed instead of reducing in size, the memory load almost doubled well after I shut the programme down.  I can see it taking time to clear out of memory after a long and involved session, but increasing in size like it did made no sense.  

Your computer has an inflated ego?

...I think the Daz programme actually does, guess it doesn't like being shut down sometimes.

On another front had a little scare after I did a bit of cleaning and maintenance, booted back up tof ind the order of the displays were swapped and one wasn't showing anything (accidentally swapped the cables when I reconnected the GPU, need to label those). Furthermore it appeared like the graphics were running off the MB chipset instead of the GPU even though the displays were connected as the performance and refresh was extremely sluggish. After that there were some odd and somewhat disconcerting messages about system security,  and when I looked at the date, it was 01/02/2002.  Guess the CMOS battery finally died (fortunately I keep a spare). 

Put the new one in, reconnected everything the proper way, booted up, reset the date and time and fortunately everything's fine again. 

This discussion has been closed.