The completely gratuitous complaint thread

Comments

• Another complaint:  I've been watching the 1977 movie "A Bridge Too Far".  Meh, it's OK.  Lots of big name actors, good sets, props, action, dialog, acting, costumes, but as far as I'm concerned it's a "Movie Too Long". (2h 55m) . I mean, didn't Hollywood learn from the 1963 movie "Cleopatra" (3h 12m) or the 1965 movie "Dr. Zhivago" (3h 17m)  that movies that require more than one bathroom break are tough on audiences?  

As I recall that's pretty much what people said at the time (and of course Cleopatra itself had an unfavourable review headlined "Thje Biggest Asp Disaster In the World")

• scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,366
    kyoto kid said:

... I have been reading that the subscription version is acting oddly lately as well. 

I've not experienced any problems - where are you reading this?

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,452
    edited August 2020

Another complaint:  I've been watching the 1977 movie "A Bridge Too Far".  Meh, it's OK.  Lots of big name actors, good sets, props, action, dialog, acting, costumes, but as far as I'm concerned it's a "Movie Too Long". (2h 55m) . I mean, didn't Hollywood learn from the 1963 movie "Cleopatra" (3h 12m) or the 1965 movie "Dr. Zhivago" (3h 17m)  that movies that require more than one bathroom break are tough on audiences?  

As I recall that's pretty much what people said at the time (and of course Cleopatra itself had an unfavourable review headlined "Thje Biggest Asp Disaster In the World")

I remember Cleopatra in '63.  It got all sorts of Oscars awards and there was a showing of one of the scenes of the movie during the Oscar's Award TV program (in b&w).  That made me want to see the movie but I was just 15, didn't drive and my parents weren't interested so I missed it until many years later.  Meh, it was OK.  Again, lots of big name actors, great sets, props, action, costumes, photography, etc but it was a loooong movie. 

A few years later, in 1965 I was in Florida for a few weeks in the summer visiting my aunt & uncle.  My aunt took her 5 kids and me to Cocoa Beach to see Dr. Zhivago and I really really enjoyed it despite its length.  I think it was what got me interested in pre-revolutionary Russian culture.

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on
  • McGyverMcGyver Posts: 7,047

Duckies!!

This one had a sorta Jurassic Park vibe... 

I swear there was a brachiosaurus there when I took that...

• Charlie JudgeCharlie Judge Posts: 12,643
    McGyver said:

He's still there; just hiding amongst the trees.

• ArtAngelArtAngel Posts: 1,641
    edited August 2020
    scorpio said:
    kyoto kid said:

... I have been reading that the subscription version is acting oddly lately as well. 

She is right. I had Adobe support on the phone for 3 hours. The call wait was over 2 hrs so I left my number for their call. The gal said they are swamped and my problem was not unique or isolated. I suspect it has to do with a recent update they deemed critical and the moment you sign in it appears as though your subscription goes null. I was forced into a windows update in order to continue with me a subscription which I prepay annually.

Edit: And a newer release that was incompatible with windows versions below 1809.

Post edited by ArtAngel on
  • DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,178

I remember Cleopatra in '63.  It got all sorts of Oscars awards and there was a showing of one of the scenes of the movie during the Oscar's Award TV program (in b&w).  That made me want to see the movie but I was just 15, didn't drive and my parents weren't interested so I missed it until many years later.  Meh, it was OK.  Again, lots of big name actors, great sets, props, action, costumes, photography, etc but it was a loooong movie. 

Well, the Oscars are actually just the industry giving each other a pat on the back.  Doesn't mean much.  The only awards that matter are the People's Choice Awards.  Can't listen to critics, either.  I mean...they all panned Star Wars!  I'm just sayin'.  

Dana ​

• ArtAngelArtAngel Posts: 1,641
    DanaTA said:

Well, the Oscars are actually just the industry giving each other a pat on the back.  Doesn't mean much.  The only awards that matter are the People's Choice Awards.  Can't listen to critics, either.  I mean...they all panned Star Wars!  I'm just sayin'.  

Dana ​

How true. Same for the grammys and the Emmy awards. It's the industry voting for those within the industry. That's why I have a problem with what's your fav product and PA's giving answers.

• RezcaRezca Posts: 3,393
    edited August 2020

Some cute pictures for any who may find of interest~!

tumblr_n9hwrvEryJ1r1dqpyo1_1280.jpg
    1143 x 805 - 332K
    tumblr_n5lx7mGdwr1r1dqpyo6_1280.png
    810 x 851 - 844K
    tumblr_n9391efx1V1r1dqpyo1_1280.jpg
    961 x 1095 - 458K
    tumblr_3bcfe6f384221461000c69994856dc90_e6011e9b_1280.jpg
    1041 x 713 - 259K
    Post edited by Rezca on
    McGyver said:

Um, no grass during the Jurassic period.indecision

Hoard of hoards.

HoardOfHoards.png
    705 x 180 - 180K
  • edited August 2020
    TJohn said:

Hmmm... If I stand still long enough outside I get speckled with ash in this 97 to 112 Fahrenheit (36-44 Celsius) degree heat. There are two forest firess to the North of me and two more to the South, all wihin the same county. The air is thick with the haze of smoke and it smells like the fires should be immediately visible. And this is all happening while we are still trying to cleanup the mess outside. Thankfully the power is back up, so its not all gloom and doom. A couple of nights back a thunder and lightening storm blew in with a sudden roar. One minute the weather was calm and sweltering and the next moment I could have sworn we were being hit by a tornado. The sudden and fierce wind was blowing large and small brancches as well as a hoard of duff (detritus) off the surrounding redwoods. It even blew the tops off some of the trees, and the fruit off our fruit trees. I've never seen so much stuff blown off the trees around here in just a few minutes. Jeezu! While I enjoyed the thunder as the storm blew in from the pacifi... I bet you can guess what started the fires. Tommorrow I have to sit in this heat for three hours while performing home hemo-dialysis. It could be worse I suppose... I could have been in Death Valley when it reached 130 degrees F recently. I hate hot weather! ...Sorry for the rant. I needed to vent. ;-)

Oh! Hi everyone !!! ...Hope you're all doing well.

I'm still recovering and busy getting my life and projects going again. So I haven't been around much.

Most complaint-worthy indeed. Hope you can remain safe and healthy.

@ TJohn... Thank you TJohn

kyoto kid said:

Hmmm... If I stand still long enough outside I get speckled with ash in this 97 to 112 Fahrenheit (36-44 Celsius) degree heat. There are two forest firess to the North of me and two more to the South, all wihin the same county. The air is thick with the haze of smoke and it smells like the fires should be immediately visible. And this is all happening while we are still trying to cleanup the mess outside. Thankfully the power is back up, so its not all gloom and doom. A couple of nights back a thunder and lightening storm blew in with a sudden roar. One minute the weather was calm and sweltering and the next moment I could have sworn we were being hit by a tornado. The sudden and fierce wind was blowing large and small brancches as well as a hoard of duff (detritus) off the surrounding redwoods. It even blew the tops off some of the trees, and the fruit off our fruit trees. I've never seen so much stuff blown off the trees around here in just a few minutes. Jeezu! While I enjoyed the thunder as the storm blew in from the pacifi... I bet you can guess what started the fires. Tommorrow I have to sit in this heat for three hours while performing home hemo-dialysis. It could be worse I suppose... I could have been in Death Valley when it reached 130 degrees F recently. I hate hot weather! ...Sorry for the rant. I needed to vent. ;-)

Oh! Hi everyone !!! ...Hope you're all doing well.

I'm still recovering and busy getting my life and projects going again. So I haven't been around much.

...ugh definitely sounds most unpleasant.

I remember the same situation here in Oregon a few years ago (two years in a row), mid - upper 90s and thick choking smoke.  For a couple days back in 2017 it was so bad I could see the ash sifting through the branches of trees in the centre of the city.

So far, we've been fortunate this year, but we still have about a month of fire season to go up here and currently are under a red flag warning..

Take care and stay safe. 

@ Kyoto Kid... Here's hoping you don't see fires again. Once is enough!

Updare: Had to evacuate due to the fast approaching fires. No idea when I'll be able to post again. Heres hoping we still have a home after this. We've done everything we could over the years to protect our home from fires, but when you're surrounded by a forest..

@Kyoto Kid... I remember those fires.

Hope firstly that you and your family stay safe but also that your home remains unscathed. Please let us know that you are OK when you are able.

@ Charlie Judge... Thank you.

ArtAngel said:

So we are still recovering from flood (happened a week before christmas) and trying to move things in from storage. Energency damage company packed the3 units (10 x 20) so tight, I couldn't bomb for bugs but we started movig stuff back since April. Fast forward ... the temps here were 110 the past weeks and thee AC broke four weeks ago. Leak detection found the coil bit the dust and the copper line  going thru the cathedral ceilings, partial attic crawl space, leaking. It's going to take 100 feet of replacement copper wire to to reach the unit in the garage. The worst part is the fish tanks got up to 91 and the fish started dying (as water temps go up oxygen goes down, plus the swords can't survive these high temps). The aviary outside was hitting 106-112 and the dogs were panting (so are we). Floating frozen ice bottles ( 7 tanks of various sizes) hosing down the roof of aviary and us, has been awful (and people complain about Stalked not available to read... if they only knew). The worst part is my hubby has 50% lung capcity and can't drive, walk independently or breath well especially with higher heat. Two weeks ago we found over a hundred baby black widows nesting in a towel inside the house (a storage box squatter family).Since then we have been trying to dismantle that room and wash everything in the hottest water while having no AC. It's been a nightmare. So far I have 22 bites on my arms and legs and I have inhaled at least 2 gallons of vinegar trying to spray every damn thing in that room. Yesterday we found out that the HVAC permits and HERS test, plus modification charges  (never mind the coil or copper  or freon etc) are going to hit 2k plus. Because of these issue we did not notice the pool salt generator was broke and the color of my hubby's therapy pool now matches the skin tone of Kermit the frog, and the breeze part is on back order. Damage control is not an easy task but I did take the time to document it all with photos for a later youube upload (like the thousand others yet to upload). Well today, while hosing the aviary we found 3  little gouldian babies needing rescue. Strangely despite all the stress, and deaths, new life ... these little babies made us smile and feel a tad blessed. When colored out these guys are gorgeous. The mom parent is in last pic before the cats. The dad is red face with briliant blue ring around face, white chested with yellow body.

@ ArtAngel... That is one disaster I can do without. Earthquakes, Mudslides, Falling Trees, and Fires are more then enough to deal with. Wish you well!

Post edited by 7th Stone Productions on
    McGyver said:

Um, no grass during the Jurassic period.indecision

John Hammond/InGen's mid 90's tropical Death-By-Dinosaur theme park- "Mostly Cretaceous, (But A Little Bit) Jurassic Park"...
    They had grass there... probably because the movie was supposed to have taken place on a bunch of islands close to Costa Rica... also because most of the dinosaurs were Cretaceous and were glammed up for dramatic effect and science took a bit of a back seat.
    So you are correct, the Jurassic dinosaurs would have been like "What the froyo, bro?"..."What's this stringy green stuff?"... But the mostly Cretaceous dinosaurs would have been like "Yo, I know this stuff... A Bruhathkayosaurus from India told me about this... it's like the new moss or something... you can eat it or make a nest out of it or even smoke it...".
    Okay, they probably didn't smoke that grass, but apparently some time in the early 2000's scientists discovered some fossilized Dino-dung with grass bits in it.  
    I had no idea about that, I was actually looking for an article about the groundcovers (back then mostly mosses and ferns) that may have occupied the same niche as grass, but I found this... https://www.livescience.com/3912-dung-reveals-dinosaurs-ate-grass.html
    Which is kinda interesting because (I think this article mentions it), I've read there were some small mammals in existence back then that seemed to be very similar to ones that subsist off of grasses, but there was no evidence grass existed back then so it puzzled scientists as to what their diet was... I assumed they were time traveling mice, but apparently not.

I'm annoyed I can't find the article about the plants that dinosaurs fed on that were very similar to grasses, it was pretty interesting because while these plants were not grasses, there were a bunch of plants that probably looked almost similar and would not have been that unfamiliar looking today... I think the article was sort of about how sometimes illustrators who are aware grass didn't exist yet, leave out all groundcovers, like it's grass or nothing.  
    I hate when the internet buries interesting stuff under tons of lame articles... it's especially frustrating when you discover something by "going down the rabbit hole" going from one link to another until you have no idea how you got there and once you lose that article, you can never find it again.

According to other things I found, the grasses that did exist were probably mostly were from India, parts of Africa and South America, possibly having spread from South America... but most of these articles are from 2005 and anything newer seems almost cut and paste... I wonder if anything new has been found.

• TJohnTJohn Posts: 11,072
    edited August 2020

NM.

Post edited by TJohn on
    TJohn said:

NM.

New Mexico?... Network Module?... Nautical Mile?... Naughty Monkeys?... Naughty Mile? (Sorta like the "Green Mile" but with spanking instead)...  Nitronium Perchlorate?... Nudist Meeting?... Nudist Monks?... Nudist Monkeys?... Nuclear Materials?... Nuclear Monkeys?... Noregs Mållag?(Det er en Norse ting)... 

Don't leave us hanging... (vær så snill)

It was my stupid dinosaur grass thing... right...?... it came off as snobby, ill informed or I left out the Egyptian pollen bit...

Or you are warning us about the nuclear monkeys?

Okay... 

Never mind.

Wait that's it!...

Noites Marcianas... the long running popular Portuguese talk show?

Hmm.

Yeah... it's okay I guess.

No Misty yet?... Misty where are you? 

• RezcaRezca Posts: 3,393
    edited August 2020

Speaking of grasses and stuff

LeatherGryphon said:

Hoard of hoards.

Yes~

tumblr_5c9d2265dc67e99538f63f2471ea2798_9e1ec827_1280.jpg
    957 x 819 - 345K
    Post edited by Rezca on

Non-complaint:  Wheee...  I finally replaced the unreliable CPU fan in my old computer.  Yay!  And while I had the computer on the operating table I also replaced its button battery.  The old one was 8 years old, I figured it was about time.  Although I almost paniced when I powered on after reconnecting the bazillions of wires to the back, front, & top that ran to the small army of external devices.  Nothing happenened.  Zero, nada, zilch, nothing! surprisecrying  I tried the power supply's master switch in both positions a couple times, still zilch.  Then I spotted it (thankfully I still had the side panel off), I'd forgotten to plug in the primary motherboard power connector that had been disconnected so that I could easily get to the button battery.  Whew!  One pair of underwear saved.smiley

• DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,178

@McGyver:  When following links down a rabbit hole, I right-click a link, and select "Open in new tab".  That way, when I've closed all of those new tabs, I find the one that started it all.  Just a thought.

Dana

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,900
    DanaTA said:

@McGyver:  When following links down a rabbit hole, I right-click a link, and select "Open in new tab".  That way, when I've closed all of those new tabs, I find the one that started it all.  Just a thought.

Dana

You can also hold ctrl while clicking the link.

• Gordig said:
    DanaTA said:

Dana

or click with the middle button/wheel.

DanaTA said:

Dana

I'm flattered that you think my memory is that good.

Gordig said:
    DanaTA said:

Dana

I mostly browse the internet on my iPad... also, again I'm flattered that you think my memory is that good.

Gordig said:
    DanaTA said:

Dana

That one I wasn't aware of... probably because I used to be a Mac user for so long... also me having a lousy memory doesn't help.

Actually, when I'm aware I'm headed into uncharted territory, I do remember to do the "open in new tab" (which for some unknown reason Apple decided to rename "open in background", but one of the most annoying things an iPad will do is sometimes as you are scrolling or swiping, it will open a new window for some crappy ad, and if you go to close out that new window, it instead closes out the main collection of tabs you had open.

I thought it was me at first, but it has to be some bug or stupid feature... with Apple it's hard to tell sometimes what is a bug and what is an idiotic feature.

I'm positive they switch up stuff just to mess with users... Mac fans love that, people who are trying to get stuff done... not so much.

Does Mac still replace an identically named folder & its contents instead of merge the new contents with the old folder?  angry

• TheKDTheKD Posts: 2,677
    edited August 2020

I always use that, usually the first button to wear on my meeces is the wheel clicker lol

Post edited by TheKD on
  • fred9803fred9803 Posts: 1,562

Complaint - I've been watching the Champions League games and there's a massive crowd roaring in the background, but you can see that all the stands are empty. I've also watched some of the games with realistic sound, ie. none.

Not sure what's worse/better, a silent football match or games with fake crowd sound effects.

edited August 2020

Complaint:  I've run out of computers to upgrade.sad  Over the last two years I've done everything that is reasonable and even some things that are unreasonable to all of my computers.  There are no more worlds to conquer.  Every daily use machine is on an UPS.  All daily use machines (and laptop) have at least one SSD replacing the system disk.  All have more than adequate data storage.  All have adequate automatic internal and external multiple backup schemes.  All are completely fleshed out with memory*.  I've added USB3 connections to those that can take advantage of it.  Every machine has fully functional software.  No machine has a part that doesn't work.  My LAN is 1000Gb.  My wireless is dual channel.  My power connections are neatly organized and all my data wires are neatly tiewrapped.  My computers are also connected into my primary TV display.  I have wireless keyboards & mice where useful, also allowing me to play games on my big TV from my comfy recliner chair.  have wirelessly controlled HDMI and audio switches so I don't have to leave my chair to enable a game.  I'm so f'n happy.frown  It's that feeling you get when you run out of things to watch on all your favorite TV channels.indecision

* My latest and greatest machine has 32GB of 2666 DDR4 RAM and could be upgraded to 64GB 3200 RAM, but I'd have to tweak clocks on the motherboard and I am loathe to fix things that ain't broken (besides having to buy four new, and more expensive, memory modules than I need, consequetly wasting four perfectly good and expensive memory modules). 

fred9803 said:

Complaint - I've been watching the Champions League games and there's a massive crowd roaring in the background, but you can see that all the stands are empty. I've also watched some of the games with realistic sound, ie. none.

Not sure what's worse/better, a silent football match or games with fake crowd sound effects.

Ghosts... the tortured souls of a thousand football fans condemned to forever haunt the stands in eternal torment... that might be marginally worse.

Marginally.

Silence is odd, but genuine... the canned cheers are weird, it's a football match, not 70s sitcom... and that leads me back to the ghosts... how do we know who those cheers were for... or when... or how many of those folks are still kicking about.  
    Think about how many rabid fans are out there who might not like their cheers misappropriated, plagiarized for the actions of a different team...

Yeah... it's not long before we see a massive spectral eruption, a phantasmagorical event that would surpass even the great Manhattan Crossrip of 1984 or the Philadelphia Mass Turbulence of 1947, we're talking psychotically enraged sports wraiths, not mere shadows, but focused, non-terminal repeating phantasms, the big, bad nasty ones... class five full-roaming vapors! This won't be a bunch of trick or treater in sheets, going "Boo"!... This will lead to an upheaval of biblical proportions, fire and brimstone, rivers and seas boiling, the dead rising from their graves, human sacrifices... cats and dogs living together... Mass hysteria!

Then who you gonna call?

Nobody, that's who...

Quiet matches are way better.

edited August 2020

Artificial audience.  What's next?  Artificial players?  Certainly makes betting on the game iffyindecision

I remember during the time I lived in Florida, the game Jai-Alai [high-lie] was popular.  Big building (called a "Fronton" I believe), large audiences seated in the bleachers above the playing cage (yes cage), players with long throwing wickets tied to their arms and they'd whip a hard ball at wicked speed to bounce it off a wall to keep it in bounds either out of the reach of the other player or dangerously close and consequently uncatchable to the other player.  Sort of a lethal game of Handball.  Miss catching the ball with your wicket and you could get a killing blow on the head or a broken arm or ribs.  Great fun.  Of course with a great fun potential killing sport comes great betting opportunity.  I went to the Fronton in Melbourne a few times and actually bet.  Never won anything but I started thinking how can you bet on a desperate game like this played by human beings extremely susceptible to bribing and rife with petty jealousies.  Dog racing yes, horse racing, maybe, but people hurling lethal objects at each other?  The era of Jai-Lai in Florida is over, or at least diminished in popularity somewhat.  But it was all extremely real.  And just like car races I believe people were secretly hoping for an incident.surprise

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,900

*Jai Alai

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,940
    scorpio said:
    kyoto kid said:

...in a post on the forums here.  It had more to do with a recent update than actual performance.

This discussion has been closed.