The completely gratuitous complaint thread

Comments

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,940
    edited September 2020

..."sporange,” which is a botanical term for a single-celled or many-celled structure in which spores are produced, especially in fungi, algae, mosses, and ferns.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,178
    Mystiarra said:

there is no rhyme for orange, even siri doesnt know

Try here: https://www.rhymezone.com/    Comes up with a proper name, and this: sporange.  Seems to be short for sporangium, related to spores and fungi.

Dana

• RezcaRezca Posts: 3,393
    edited September 2020
    Mystiarra said:
    Rezca said:
    Mystiarra said:
    Rezca said:

Woke up feeling all aching and stuff, and couldn't get back to sleep after 3am either.  There's my complaint aaah...

remember the dinos and rhe pizza?  i think it was when you was playing wit the c4d

Yeee I still remember that silly little thing.
    HELLO by the way!  The dragons (and all of us here, some of which may be dragons too) missed you lots!

i imagine the leetl dragons are like parakeets, they like to sit on the rim of the cereal bowl

Little ickle bitty dragons.

Also I couldn;t figure out a nice way to put in text into this gif (I see people do that all the time, animated text and stuff)  so just imagine them running around going "YAY Misty's back!"

(I love that pose the snake dino takes after they run by the first time, it's so dang cute)

Post edited by Rezca on
  • Subtropic PixelSubtropic Pixel Posts: 2,378
    edited September 2020
    Mystiarra said:

the big breakfast decision for the day.  frozen waffffffffles or toasted cornbread

if i use the blue toothpaste i can see it going on to my toothbrush.

putting water into the k machine was a fail.  missed it at first.  then it overflowed i cant see when its to the top.

A tip for you that may help.  Get yourself a new (new, never used) small watering container for plants; preferrably one with a known volume and a single spout without a sprayer end.

This way you can fill the K machine by just putting the spout into the top of the reservoir and pour.  And you can avoid overfilling it by knowning how many ounces you drew down and never filling it when the free capacity is less than the volume of liquid your watering can holds.

For example:

I always do 12-ounce cups of coffee or tea.  Even though my K machine can do 6, 8, or 10 ounces, I always dispense 12. 

By knowing this, I also know that my reservoir will be down by some denomination of 12 ounces.  Never by any other amount.

I don't use a watering can to fill my reservoir, but I do use a 32 ounce spouted measuring cup; the same pyrex cup I use for baking.

So it's simple.  I only fill the reservoir with a full 32 ounces at any one time.  So I never fill it at 12 or 24 ounces down.  This is fairly easy to see inside the lighted reservoir.  And by extension, if it is down by "anything more than 24 ounces", then it WILL hold 32 ounces without overflowing.  Again, because I only make 12 ounce cups of coffee or tea.

And that is how I avoid doing math before I've drank my first cup of coffee.  I also avoid messy countertop overflows before I've even put on pants!

Now for my next trick, I'm going to get a measuring cup graded in hexadecimal notation, with a binary scale on it as a bonus.  So Decimal 32 translates to EBCDIC x'20', which, for you ASCII cowboys and cowgirls, is 0x20, and is binary "01100000".  Ounces.  So twist your brain with THAT pretzel logic!  devil

Mystiarra said:

there is no rhyme for orange, even siri doesnt know

So do like The Cars did:  Use Orange, but don't try rhyming with it.  Rhyme with another word in the sentence/verse.

"It's an orangy sky

Always it's some other guy

It's just a broken lulabye

bye, bye love..."

I'll bet they did that just for fun and to show that they could STILL use Orange in a song!  Plus, they were punk before punk was a thing, hehe!  wink

Edit:  I forgot to say, I vote for waffles!  Cornbread tastes like medicine to me, delivered in a hard hockey-puck form factor.  But Waffles are manna from heaven, especially when served with real butter and real maple syrup!

Post edited by Subtropic Pixel on
  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125

melange?

Melange, often referred to as simply "the spice", is the name of the fictional drug central to the Dune series of science fiction novels by Frank Herbert and derivative works. Wikipedia

First appearanceDune; 1965

Created byFrank Herbert

Function: Ingested to lengthen lifespan, improve health, and heighten awareness

• TJohnTJohn Posts: 11,072

Melange can also mean a mixture or medley of veggies, from French,, I think.

• Complaint:  Five more days to go before "payday" again, and I'm broke.sad  Cash gone, budget almost $400 overspent.  Budget slop for next month already exhausted.  My refrigerator has no milk, or eggs.  I'm out of bread and fresh fruit. But my freezer is full of meat (chicken, ham, ground beef, shrimp).  My larder is full of canned goods, snacks, nuts, cereals and pre-packaged easy meals (although many of which require milkfrown)  I do have a bag of powdered milk enough to make a gallon and I have some cans of "evaporated" milk, so I could get creative for the next month.  But if I can make it through next month without falling prey to Amazon or NewEgg I'll be in good standing for the winter season.  However, do I have a new roll of US $1 coins ($25) and a coin box with about $15 in miscellaneous pennies, nickels, dimes & quarters.  So I will be able to get some bread, milk & eggs for the rest of the week, if I can force myself to don a mask and  toddle up to the store.  I am getting more and more agoraphobic.  I feel safe at home, nobody visits, germs stay outside.  The downside is that I'm up to my neck in empty boxes from Amazon, Amazon Pantry and NewEgg.  

Non-complaint:  My computers are doing just fine except that I still have problems getting them to share files across my network.  However, I now have a clue.  I have five networked computers in the house (all Win10 Home or Pro),  Four of them have NortonSecurity installed, the fifth one does not.  None of the 4 can reliably communicate with each other, the working avenues change mysteriously once in a while.  The Fifth (George) without Norton however, can see everybody else all the time but only some of the others can see George (sometimes) and it visibility differs randomly via LAN or WiFi.  So, I'm suspecting something in Norton needs to be tweaked.  Over months of testing I've eliminated my router(s) as the source of the problem.  I've tried disabling the Norton firewall on the computers, without success.  I have not yet actually removed NortonSecurity completely, but should an opportunity arise or when I get a really bad case of cabin fever I'll try that too.  Meanwhile I keep Googling the web looking for solutions to the vagaries of Windows network sharing.  Meanwhile I continue to transfer data between machines via USB thumbdrive or external hard drive.

• Maybe you should consider setting up a NAS for those shared files.  Yes, you can't afford it "right now", I get that.  But maybe put this on your list.  I have a NAS set up with replication keeping files current on my laptop and my desktop.  I save a file on one machine and moments later, it has already been copied to the NAS and replicated to the other machine.  That's assuming that both the NAS and the other machine are online, which they always are.

Fussing around with networking devices that may or may not play nicely together, well I see that as a waste of time, effort, and spiritual energy.  Oh, and money too!

There's an old saying:  Paying is like crying, except that with paying, you can choose to only cry once or many times.  Of course it's ultimately up to you, but at least you DO have choices.

I recommend Synology.  I have a mirrored setup right now, with 2 bays of a DS918+ occupied with a couple of refurbed 10 TB drives and 2 bays empty.  Since I only do replication with that NAS and I never store anything on it that isn't also on at least one other computer that's already part of my overly obsessive backup strategy, I don't even bother backing up the NAS. 

Most importantly, my files are always available on BOTH computers and I almost never have problems with the 3 machines being able to maintain the network connections and always be properly synced/replicated.

Something to consider.  Maybe you can buy a used Synology NAS and a couple of refurbed drives like I did, and put all this hassle behind you.  smiley

edited September 2020

...Oregon fire update:

About one million acres in Oregon are on fire now with flames threatening the eastern environs of Portland. This has been the second day of no sunrise/sunset and orange skies. The smoke is thicker than yesterday.  so even at mid afternoon, the sun was little more than a faint red disk in the sky whereas yesterday it was a bright orange disk.  The air quality in the city has been increased to "hazardous" and many businesses such as cafes & such have been closed for the last two days as COVID level 1 measures require only outside seating.  The city seemed almost deathly quiet as I walked around taking images today.  

The concentration of fires is the worst the state has seen in almost 120 years.  Several towns are expected to be completely destroyed and the death toll may not be known for days as many were unable to escape the firestorm.  Fires have been moving down the western foothills toward the more populated areas. Areas on the edge of the metro area like Canby and Oregon City are under a level 2 evacuation notice while Estacada and Mollala are under a level 3 notice. During those bad years we had back in 2017/2018, it was never this serious.

As of this morning, Portland has been rated as having the worst air quality in the world, as the city sits in a valley which promotes inversions and stagnant air.  Forecasts call for the hazardous conditions to continue through the weekend until Tuesday when it is expected that some rain will move in (though in amounts insignificant enough to make any real difference where the fires are concerned).  We've had several; fatalities already (the number isn't certain yet).

Again, fortunately we haven't seen the extreme temperatures that California has experienced. Today it barely made it into the 70s in spite of the original forecast calling for the high to be in the low to mid 80s. Yesterday it was supposed to reach the upper 90s but managed only to get into the upper 80s. 

Here are some of the pics I took today (attached a "skylight filter" to the phone which cuts out UV haze to compensate for software correction so the colours are what you would see with the naked eye):

The last two are a comparison between yesterday and today. Notice how the hills in the background are no longer visible.

20200911_143249.jpg
    2560 x 1440 - 969K
    20200911_144900.jpg
    1440 x 2560 - 653K
    20200911_144152.jpg
    1440 x 2560 - 409K
    20200910_140929.jpg
    2560 x 1440 - 989K
    20200911_145202.jpg
    2560 x 1440 - 859K
  • GordigGordig Posts: 9,902

I almost forgot to never forget!

Do you think you'll be under evactuation orders soon?   surprise

Dana

...hopefully not as the major  fires are on the east side of the city's environs.  However, the West Hills has a huge forested park on the Northwest edge of the city centre (about a dozen blocks from where I live). If that catches fire it would be really bad as the city would be surrounded by flames. 

edited September 2020
    Gordig said:

...sadly, kind of difficult to do where I am right now.   

Can this year get any worse than it already has been?

kyoto kid said:
    Gordig said:

...sadly, kind of difficult to do where I am right now.   

Can this year get any worse than it already has been?

Now that you asked.   frown

Dana

...I remember when John Oliver blew up 2016, I wonder what he'll do to top that at the end of this year.

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,529

LeatherGryphon - you're not alone. Windows 10 is the problem. I've spent many hours searching for the problem, reading uncounted forums and tested recommendations that worked for some but not for others. I can access all computers (Windows 2000, XP Home, two Win 7 Pro and two Win 10 Pro) from each one. I can access all 7 NAS drives per FTP, Telnet and HTTP, I can even VNC (virtual network computing, remote control) all computers from all others; and if I start a HTTPd and FTPd on all computers I can also access any one from anyone. Just Win 10 refuses sometimes to access the NAS as drives, though it does see them. Both Win 10 behave differently even though all settings are the same. The last two days I could access the NAS on which I have the email data, today I cannot; always the unhelpful report 80070035. When I had setup my newest NAS (12 TB), I could access it from all computers and map it to a drive letter except on one Win 10. I exported the credentials from that Win 10 that could, copied it to the other Win 10 and imported them and the NAS was mapped. That this worked is still incomprehensible for me but don't ask questions when it works. I have to add that I have no external security software installed on the Win 10 machines, just using the built-in tools, which I configured to be open inside my network. And since it sometimes works, I may have made it right. I have the Pro versions so I don't need a Microsoft account. Again: you're not alone. Windows 10 is the problem. 

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,452
    edited September 2020
    Horo said:

LeatherGryphon - you're not alone. Windows 10 is the problem. I've spent many hours searching for the problem, reading uncounted forums and tested recommendations that worked for some but not for others. I can access all computers (Windows 2000, XP Home, two Win 7 Pro and two Win 10 Pro) from each one. I can access all 7 NAS drives per FTP, Telnet and HTTP, I can even VNC (virtual network computing, remote control) all computers from all others; and if I start a HTTPd and FTPd on all computers I can also access any one from anyone. Just Win 10 refuses sometimes to access the NAS as drives, though it does see them. Both Win 10 behave differently even though all settings are the same. The last two days I could access the NAS on which I have the email data, today I cannot; always the unhelpful report 80070035. When I had setup my newest NAS (12 TB), I could access it from all computers and map it to a drive letter except on one Win 10. I exported the credentials from that Win 10 that could, copied it to the other Win 10 and imported them and the NAS was mapped. That this worked is still incomprehensible for me but don't ask questions when it works. I have to add that I have no external security software installed on the Win 10 machines, just using the built-in tools, which I configured to be open inside my network. And since it sometimes works, I may have made it right. I have the Pro versions so I don't need a Microsoft account. Again: you're not alone. Windows 10 is the problem. 

Wow, thank you!yes  That makes me relax a bit.  And you've apparently tested deeper than I have.  And the fact that you're not using NortonSecurity takes that out of my mind too.  The only other clue I got from that was that of my five machines, two of them are running Windows10-Pro and the others are Windows10-Home.  The two with "Pro" are the ones that tend to have the problems the most.  Although I'm still clueless as to why my latest "child" (i.e. "George"), running Win10-Home never has a problem seeing any of the others.  Actually it's not that the machines can't "see" each other.  Because I get connections for music sharing, and they can all see the router, my TV, and both my Amazon "FireSticks".  The trouble lies with setting up the filesharing mechanism.

Also, the mention of trouble with even NAS setups frees me from thinking that spending oodles of $$$ and time to set one up would solve my problem.  It could just be a waste of $$$ and time.  I don't need one and don't want to get into that level of complexity.  Simple machine-to-machine file sharing should just work!  Period.angry  And despite the intermittent visibility, I otherwise have no problem with it when it does work, because when it does work, it works flawlessly. zip, bang, boom, huge files moved in seconds.smiley  

Since "George" can always see the others, I could use him as a poor-man's NAS to "pull" from machine "A" and "push" to machine "B"enlightened, but "George" is old and tired and slow.frown  And isn't always turned on because, well, he's old and tired and slow and eats electricity revenously.

Edited to ask a question:  Maybe I'm confused.  Does the current accepted meaning of "NAS" mean "Network Access Server" or "Network Access Service".  First case being a special machine that has been set up to provide centralized access to shared files via the network.  Second case being the service mechanism on any computer to make that computer's files available across the network on a peer-to-peer basis?  

Note:  I too was, at one time, a networking expert even designing and tweaking protocols and setting up world-wide network management operations.  It was all quite regular and understandable and even, dare I say it, predictable in the UNIX world.  But that was 25 years ago before I jumped into the pond where Microsoft decided to swim in the networking waters and muddy it all up with their "better" ideas.crying  And the fact that you say that "Telnet" and "FTP" still work even in the Microsoft mudpuddle testifies to the validity of some of the old ways.  Despite their um, security issues.blush

A problem with getting old is that acronyms acquire so many alternate meanings.sad

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on
  • HoroHoro Posts: 10,529

LeatherGryphon - thank you for your comment. NAS means Network Attached Storage. I think Win 10 is so unreliable because of all the security issues it tries to prevent. Like SMB 1.0/CIFS that is deactivated by default. Older NAS still use it though it is said to be not secure. Win 7 and earlier have them on by default and  I haven't found an option to disable them.

I'm not a network or computer professional. RF (Radio Frequency) is with what I started, having worked as Radar maintenance engineer at an airport (4 years) and later worked in satellite telecom (39 years). But things changed there from analogue to digital to computerized as well in the 40 years (as grave digger there would have been less challenges, I reckon). It wasn't only finding interfering RF carriers and adjusting frequencies but logging into servers of customer networks and configure satellite modems and things.

By the way, I can use all computers to render a Bryce scene over the network. Although the Win 2000 and XP work they are useless, too slow. But with the Win 7 I3 and i7, Win 10 i7 and i9 I have 34 threads at work that speed up things a bit. Again, I can start from any of the 4, all 4 work. It's just the file sharing mechanism that is unreliable

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

there arent enough movies about the good dragons

edited September 2020

ARGHHHHH....  File sharing woes:  As a final test for the day, I decided to perform a "Network reset" operation provided on the  "Network & Internet Settings-->Status" dialog page.  At the time I had four of my machines turned on (George among them).  As stated before, George could see himself, and the other three Win10 systems.  I reset ONLY the misbehaving systems, and left George undisturbed.  After the nearly simultaneous RESET operation I checked the Network on each of the machines.  George is still fat dumb and happy, but now the other three machines can see themselves and the other two machines but none of them can see George.frown  Arghhh.  I give up.crying  Better, but no cigar.  Let's see if this nearly perfect visibility survives any of the machines going to sleep or being powered off over the next 24 hours. (*sigh*) 

Note: my landlord is not going to like the electricity bill this month, I've been having all my computers and associated equipment turned on for many many hours for weeks along with the air-conditioner and three fans.  But at least the A/C and fans have not been needed for the last few days.  (Note:  I have a fixed rent which includes utilities)

Edited to add one more Arghhhh...  I just made one more check of the network status on each machine and discovered that George had gone to sleep.  I woke him up and now he can't see himself.  He sees the other three machines on the net, but not himself.  Crazy man, crazy.broken heart  But at least now all the machines are behaving the same.  I'll look again in a couple hours. (*sigh*)

edited September 2020

@ the high temperature thing and smoke mentioned earlier:  Ironically enough,  all the smoke in my valley's actually reduced the temperatures (Past few days have been forecast as heatwaves, yet its been 60'ish on average 'cause of all the hazey smoke. Felt like winter to me, if you exclude the bits of ash in the air and all that) and the Firefighters have claimed its been helping with containing the fires due to the lowered temperatures along with the almost non-existant winds which has maintained this status all week.  They're all miles from where I live so I'm not even in danger of an evac *warning*,  but the smoke's affecting pretty much the whole valley.  As someone who stays indoors most of the time anyway I don't run into that problem all that much, except on weekdays where I need to walk to work haha...

Instead of going outside for walks though I can get my exercise by using the house's treadmill, or the cycling thing I have in my room (Battery's busted so it can't do auto traction and stuff, but I can still use it normally)  or pop on my VR headset to play one of those rythym games I have.  Sunshine's another matter - open my window blinds maybe?  Not getting any fresh air but won't get that if I go outside either xD

....Aaaaah but I'd rather not talk about such serious things if I can avoid it ;A;

Post edited by Rezca on

is the perfect time of day for a cuppa swiss miss k cup. plus dollop of cream.  noy dalek of creme  lol

edited September 2020

I feel stupid because I can't figure out the simplest things in Vue.   I read a book / watch a video where they make a procedural terrain in five clicks,  and for me it's fifty clicks later and I still can't figure out how to make the superintense clump of skyscraper-like spikes to go away (And why it's not a strata canyon like the tutorial, who only needed two fractals with some minor tweaks)

I know things have changed since these were made though,  nowadays adding a terrain fractal always adds two extra nodes (Vector + some Multiply thing) so maybe the arcane secret to not having terrains suck lies in that :V

(Then there's materials + clouds and literally everything else in the program but eh that's a whole 'nother deal)

Post edited by Rezca on

fractal fun

edited September 2020

Apparently the world is sepia now. 

3D5D6693-2966-49BA-A045-9A8CB899FFCC.jpeg
    4032 x 3024 - 3M
    Post edited by Gordig on
    Mystiarra said:

fractal fun

Fractual Frustration is more like it :x
    I remember actually being able to do almost mediocre stuff in Vue back in version 9 and 10,  I guess I have to re-learn everything now (and I swear the two new automatically generated nodes are the root cause of these frustrations...)

Now how to deal with materials and making clouds...  And literally everything else x')

edited September 2020

A problem with getting old is that acronyms acquire so many alternate meanings

...I know, look at W.W.F....

World Wrestling Federation.

World Wildlife Fund

...?

Good thing there's Pistols For Pandas.

edited September 2020
    Gordig said:

Apparently the world is sepia now. 

...the third such day here, though it started out with a bit of fog mixed in (that is how stagnant the air is) which made it look even thicker than yesterday but appeared to mask the sepia tint.

Fog dissipated by mid morning so back to sepia skies again. 

First pic was taken at around 09:00.  Second at 12:10 after the fog was disppeared.  Both shots were taken with the skylight filter attached (odd pattern caused by window screen) 

20200912_090247.jpg
    1440 x 2560 - 1M
    20200912_121822.jpg
    1440 x 2560 - 1M
    edited September 2020

More File Sharing News:  OK, it's been a couple of hours.  During this time I've discovered (for at least this current space in time) that going to sleep or shutting down, does not affect the visibility in any reliable way.

All four machines are now back on.  George is no longer able to see himself,  and no other machines can see George.  But all other machines can see themselves and the other machines.  EXCEPT for my laptop which is Windows10-Home and is the only machine not running Windows10 2004 update.  It's still running the Windows10 1909 version.  Now it's that machine (my laptop) that can see everybody, incuding themselves.  Go Figure!  Arghhhh.  Also another clue, When logged in as a "standard" user the laptop could not see itself, but when I switched to the administratively privileged user it COULD see itself.  Oh, and I've done the RESET Network operation on George too.  It doesn't help.indecision

"... And then the days got worse and worse
    And now you see I've gone
    Completely out of my mind

And they're coming to take me away ha-haaa
    They're coming to take me away ho-ho hee-hee ha-haaa
    To the funny farm
    Where life is beautiful all the time
    And I'll be happy to see those nice young men
    In their clean white coats
    And they're coming to take me away ha-haaa
     ..." -- Napoleon XIV