The completely gratuitous complaint thread

Comments

• DanaTA said:
    TheKD said:

Gotta be careful going on open wifi though. Some people run honeypots and try to use wireshark to get passwords and stuff to people that connect and worse lol.

Yeah, it's a risk, and borderline ethical, but in a non-abusive emergency and with "tunneled"* connection could work.

* Note: Don't get old, one's brain forgets words.frown  I've been racking my brain for several minutes for the word/phrase I was looking for and "tunneled" was all I could come up with.  It's close, but not right for the virtual connection that is encrypted from end to end, whatever it's called.  Somebody help me out here.crying

Maybe VPN (Virtual Private Network)?  Norton supplies one of those, which I use on the laptop and on our phones!

Dana

Ah yes!  That's the ticket.  "VPN".  Thank you.yes  I've always been bad with people's names.  But in my dotage, I'm forgetting the names of things and will spout all sorts of remembered descriptions of what it is and what it does until somebody shouts out the answer, it's like I'm the host of some sort of cruel TV game show with no prizes and I'm boring the contestants.

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,452
    edited September 2020

Non-complaint:  My Android phone (a "Motoroa G7 Optimo" that I got from TracFone back in March and it came with version 8 of Android installed for about $130 including 8% state sales tax) has yet again been able to upgrade itself to a new version of Android.  I'm up to version 10 now. Wheee...yes  My old phone that I'd bought on the cheap at $50 from TracFone just six months earlier had to be retired because it wouldn't update past version 6 and wouldn't let me use my drugstore's prescription ordering & delivery app.  Sometimes it doesn't pay to buy cheap.enlightened    This Motorola knows where I am, shows me maps, answers spoken questions, reminds me of things to do, plays my recorded music, plays my local radio station,  shows me TV movies, calls me an Uber, arranges delivery of my drugs, takes high resolution photos and movies, and surprisingly even lets me have verbal conversations with actual people.surprise  But after all, it is a phone.  But my greatest joy is that I haven't thrown away $500+ for a phone that is hot off the press and has a couple more goofy features that I wouldn't use and a prettier case that I'd immediately cover up with a non-slip rubberized safety cover.  I firmly believe in the "mama-bear" philosophy when it comes to electronics.

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on
  • LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,452
    edited September 2020

Non-complaint:  Ongoing DAZzing machine saga:  Spent most of yesterday, completeing the transition of my DAZ libraries and program from my old 8GB machine to my newly encased 32GB machine with IRay capability.  I've finally got most of the DAZ libraries merged tolerably well.  Also, several weeks ago I rebuilt my old machine's OS from scratch to get rid of 10 years of accumulated update glitches and overstuffed "ProgramFiles" folder filled with ancient programs that I don't use anymore.  The system runs much cleaner & faster now.  But in the process I bought a new system SSD for it, and took out the old system SSD as a backup/archive of what was there.  

I've now moved that old 1TB SSD into my new DAZzing machine, properly moved & merged the DAZ libraries from it, archived the personal files, removed all four partitions and reformatted the drive into an empty, single, simple volume.  My new DAZzing machine now has the following internal storage; two M.2 NVMe SSD drives totalling 1.5TB of storage, two 2TB hard drives, and now a 1TB SATA SSD.  Plus externally it has a 4TB and a 1TB drive.  Both USB3. cool

My old machine is now mostly used for personal stuff (mail, forums, web browsing), and as an archive server with an array of 6(sometimes more) external (mostly USB2) disks totalling about 12TB. smiley

I'm old.  I remember when the first machine I worked on (an IBM-1130) in 1968 had a total of 1MB disk storage on two hard-cased, hard platter, removable, essentialy "floppy" drives the size of garbage can lids.surprise

Disk_Cartridge_2315_type.jb.jpg
    220 x 155 - 7K
    Post edited by LeatherGryphon on
  • RezcaRezca Posts: 3,393

Woke up feeling all aching and stuff, and couldn't get back to sleep after 3am either.  There's my complaint aaah...

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,902

I'm making my first earnest attempts at modeling clothing, currently experimenting with using the polygon pen to essentially draw it on to the figure. I really hope this isn't how most clothing modelers go about it, because this is utter drudgery.

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

hi  how goes it?  i still too blind to keep up with the complaints and sales.  did i miss anything good?  sounds like won't be a halloween this year?

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,940
    ...yeah my old LG phone topped out at Android 5.1. Won't runthe new fare app for the local trsnsit system but that is anout the only inconvenience. Otherwise it handles my needs fine. Since the next stimulus payment is in limbo, just got the fare card. Fortunately they added a new app that lets you track how much you have on the card and can even refill it online instead of having to go to a market to put funds on it. As long as 4G is still around (3G is going away soon) I'll be OK. || Cant wait to get reconnected later today, having to slog through over 100 emails one by one is a total pain (using "||" as a paragraph break as the forum software doesn't seem to recognise the linfeed key).
    edited September 2020
    Mystiarra said:

hi  how goes it?  i still too blind to keep up with the complaints and sales.  did i miss anything good?  sounds like won't be a halloween this year?

...glad to see you back and great to hear you're OK. We were a bit worried. Hope that everything's working out. {{{ }}}.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,582
    Mystiarra said:

Welcome back!  Glad you're okay.

Complaint:  Why don't Android text editors have a DELETE key?  They only have BACKSPACE, so if you place the cursor one character off you just have to keep trying until you get it exactly right.  I know I have peripheral neuropathy and the sensory nerves in my hands are, to use the technical term, kaput, but am I the only one who would find this key useful?

• Mystiarra said:

Hello again!yes  We were missing you.​

• Complaint:  Why don't Android text editors have a DELETE key?  They only have BACKSPACE, so if you place the cursor one character off you just have to keep trying until you get it exactly right.  I know I have peripheral neuropathy and the sensory nerves in my hands are, to use the technical term, kaput, but am I the only one who would find this key useful?

Lithe, delicate fingers can touch the screen between characters to effect a backspace to anywhere in the line, but usually I miss by a character or two.  Need pointier fingers.enlightened

• DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,178
    Mystiarra said:

Hi!  Welcome back!  I hope your sight improves greatly during recovery!

Dana

• DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,178

Complaint:  Why don't Android text editors have a DELETE key?  They only have BACKSPACE, so if you place the cursor one character off you just have to keep trying until you get it exactly right.  I know I have peripheral neuropathy and the sensory nerves in my hands are, to use the technical term, kaput, but am I the only one who would find this key useful?

You can drag your finger across text and then a menu pops up and one option is "Cut", another is "Copy".  Tough to control, I guess, but I've used that to delete a single character in a word.  You can enlarge the text just like you can enlarge an image.  Then selecting small amounts of text should be easier for you.  I find positioning the cursor with you finger a bit clumsy, but not impossible.  If you place it in the wrong position, it puts a little blue spot that you can grab and move.

Dana

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125
    Mystiarra said:

Great to see you post again.  Hope you are well.

• Mystiarra said:

Welcome Back, Mysti. We were worried about you and are glad to see that you are OK. I hope you continue to improve and get well soon. 

Rezca said:

Woke up feeling all aching and stuff, and couldn't get back to sleep after 3am either.  There's my complaint aaah...

remember the dinos and rhe pizza?  i think it was when you was playing wit the c4d

thanks.  i missed yous too.  

i still has hope they can fix me.  cant do the surgery til the bp is under control.  working on it.  dr doesnt think the eye damage is permanent.  just have to clear the blood out from fogging up the workings.  they have me on 2 bp meds now.  amlodopine and clonodine. its strong stuff.    my cousin stops by to check on my food situation. she checks nothing in my fridge is expired.   

i heard a rumor might be anothert stimulus ?  stimulating news.  gossip on the scat bus.  poor bus driver, the lift quit. he had to hand crank me up the lift  doh  i'm lighter. weighed in at dr yesterday.131 american pounds.  losing weight was suppsed to lower my bp  they says my bp prob is genetic.  

tried to see whats new in the store, can barely see the thumbails.  would be funny if a carrara upgrade came out and i missed it

the american version of star blazers cut out the female characters, except for Nova.  what does japan think of americans they think we dont want to see female star force.  is it cause star trek all the red shirts were dudes?

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,902
    Mystiarra said:

the american version of star blazers cut out the female characters, except for Nova.  what does japan think of americans they think we dont want to see female star force.  is it cause star trek all the red shirts were dudes?

I highly doubt the Japanese had anything to do with that change. 

Gordig said:
    Mystiarra said:

I highly doubt the Japanese had anything to do with that change. 

someone redid the graphics and completely changed the ending. changing the fate of the gammalons

is perplexing

• Mystiarra said:

Welcome back!  Yeah, listen to the docs and get your BP down so you can have the surgery.

I'm still planning on Halloween.  And Santa.  Just not sure how those things will pan out this year, but I refuse to give up hope.

edited September 2020

...I'm back in the saddle again. 

Was pretty much a cinch connecting everything up (well had to crawl under the roll top desk to find the cable jack and hook up the cable) and then running the activation programme. Almost went through my monthly data allotment on my phone since Sunday just keeping up with emails, shopping for an new Net plan, and troubleshooting. 

On another topic the fired are still bad here. One of the outlying burbs is being affected and the smoke right now is hanging over the city. Looks like thick rain clouds (first two attachments).

The second two pics were taken Monday evening, and the last one was taken last night.

20200909_173716.jpg
    2560 x 1440 - 921K
    20200909_173735.jpg
    1440 x 2560 - 896K
    20200907_180029.jpg
    2560 x 1440 - 764K
    20200907_175415.jpg
    1440 x 2560 - 514K
    20200908_193729.jpg
    2560 x 1440 - 944K
    Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • RezcaRezca Posts: 3,393
    Mystiarra said:
    Rezca said:

remember the dinos and rhe pizza?  i think it was when you was playing wit the c4d

Yeee I still remember that silly little thing.
    HELLO by the way!  The dragons (and all of us here, some of which may be dragons too) missed you lots!

Mystiarra said:

Welcome back!  Yeah, listen to the docs and get your BP down so you can have the surgery.

I'm still planning on Halloween.  And Santa.  Just not sure how those things will pan out this year, but I refuse to give up hope.

Halloween?  Between COVID-19 and being a week before election day, things are scary enough.

• TJohnTJohn Posts: 11,072
    Mystiarra said:

Yay Misty! So glad U R back online!!

• GreymomGreymom Posts: 1,109
    Mystiarra said:

Glad you are back!  Hope everything works out with any further surgeries!

the big breakfast decision for the day.  frozen waffffffffles or toasted cornbread

if i use the blue toothpaste i can see it going on to my toothbrush.

putting water into the k machine was a fail.  missed it at first.  then it overflowed i cant see when its to the top.

Rezca said:
    Mystiarra said:
    Rezca said:

Yeee I still remember that silly little thing.
    HELLO by the way!  The dragons (and all of us here, some of which may be dragons too) missed you lots!

i imagine the leetl dragons are like parakeets, they like to sit on the rim of the cereal bowl

Mystiarra said:

the big breakfast decision for the day.  frozen waffffffffles or toasted cornbread

if i use the blue toothpaste i can see it going on to my toothbrush.

putting water into the k machine was a fail.  missed it at first.  then it overflowed i cant see when its to the top.

...bagel with creme cheese here and tea. Maybe sausages and hotcakes tomorrow.

Woke up to an orange sky this morning no sun or shadows.  By about 11:00 the sun was barely visible and was red.   Even with the windows closed I can smell the smoke which has descended on the city like a thick fog. The bad part, going to be in the 90s today.  COVID isn't the only reason to wear a mask right now. 

Saw an image from space and it looks like the entire west coast is on fire.

there is no rhyme for orange, even siri doesnt know

This discussion has been closed.