The completely gratuitous complaint thread

Comments

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,189
    edited July 2020

Non-complaint:  Wheee... I found my newly purchased CPU fan/cooler assembly that I'd specifically bought to fix my old computer.  The new fan had gotten "lost" in one of my wall of small shipping boxes for  computer parts.  Surprisingly I finally found it in a box labeled "Misc. Computer Parts."  who would'a thunk it?  I obviously put it in that box only a week or so ago.  Senility is creaping up quickly.frown

Complaint:  The process of finding my new fan entailed me finally getting my hands dirty and reorganizing my wall of parts boxes.  I'm about half way through.  I've been through about 10 boxes and finally thrown away ancient, ancient parts that I will never use and I don't have the patience to wait until I find someone interested in a USB1.1 hub or a CardBus ethernet adapter for a Win95 laptop.  Or half a dozen IDE cards, or old AGP video cards.  or..., or... much other ancient stuff.  Trashed it.yes  In this process I've freed up about two cubic feet of space on my wall by repacking some of the boxes, and many of them are much lighter.  Now, if I could just easily tell which one of my hundred USB cables are not CAT5 rated I'd get rid of them too.  Happily, I also found an old design but essentially new, barely unboxed MSI GeForce N730 graphics card to replace my existing really ancient ATI graphics card that tends to BSOD now and then.  I tried the N730 once before but no cigar.frown  This time I'll be a little more deliberate to tease out the settings necessary to make it work.enlightened

Oh, and in the process of sorting my boxes, I found a small bag of my old licenses and ID cards.  Found a PADI diving certificate photo of a 29 year old me from 1977, back in my SCUBA days, back when I weighed 160 pounds, 70 pounds ago.frown

If you look on youtube, you can find where you can turn all those extra parts into enough free gold to pay for the new video card for only about twice that much in toxic chemicals plus disposal costs, but you will likely only get .50 on the dollar for your gold. Good luck.

Yeah, disposal costs.  That's one of the reasons I never got very interested in chemistry despite having a nice chemistry set in my teens.  Too much cleaning of glassware, and worrying about what to do with the accumulating poisons.frown (Hint, They eventually went into our septic tank.blush  (Hey, it was the '60s, the world was still young, and besides the big chemical companies were dumping in the rivers so my half pint of death wouldn't mount to a hill of beans for 100 years until someone digs up the septic tank. (OMG only 40 years to go).

I got hooked by computer programming only a couple years later when I realized that I only needed my brain and there was no physical cleanup involved and other people provided the keypunch machine and took care of buying, installing, and maintaining the computer hardware.   Then PCs happened and it all turned on its head and now I had to be responsible for purchasing, installing, and maintaining my computers and I no longer program.sad  I should have been a mathematician or human language interpreter.  Except that I sucked at both those skills.indecision

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on
  • TheKDTheKD Posts: 2,676

Every time I see someone in public wearing an industrial m95 mask, I want to beat the hell out of them...... Haven't been able to find them in months, and I actually need the things :/

• McGyverMcGyver Posts: 7,005

My arm hurts. Started 3 weeks ago.b I don't like it.

Sounds to me like you aren't giving the pain a chance... pain can be fun... no wait... other people's pain can be funny...

Okay, sounds like you're probably doing it right... pain is bad... that's probably why they sell anti-pain medications... which most people refer to as "pain meds" or "pain medication", which is stupid because you'd think that would be medication that causes pain. Which I suppose would sell, since there are whole genres of fetishes dedicated to that sorta stuff.

What were you doing 3 weeks ago that might have started the pain?... If it's something embarrassing you don't have to answer... unless it's funny... you still don't have to answer even if it is funny, it's just that some people might use a good laugh.

Is it one of those unexplainable pains?... like you wake up and you're missing a toe and you can't even find it anywhere in the room and you know you didn't sleepwalk, so you are really puzzled where it went... and on top of that it hurts. Then like a week later you find it in a little plastic bin in the freezer marked "Dennis's Toe"* and it's not even in your handwriting which make it more confusing, but at least it was frozen, so you are like "maybe they can reattach it!"... So you take it to the hospital and the doctor looks at it and says he could reattach it, but it's not the same toe... it's actually a different toe from the opposite side foot, so you look at the other foot, but nothing's amiss and you tell the doctor to give it a go and see if it works out.
    Luckily, he is one of the best toe reattachment surgeons in the country, so he's able make it stick back on and after a few weeks it's good as new... it's hairier than the old toe, a bit longer and meaner looking, but you figure "what the hell, a toe is a toe" and you go about your business... but every morning you wake up covered in blood and with vague recollections of horrible nightmares...

At first that kinda disturbs you a little, but since it's not your blood, you decide to see where this is going before jumping to conclusions... But later on while you are bundling the newspapers for recycling you see an article you missed... it's about the mysterious death in prison of the insane serial killer Dennis "The Menace" McIntyre... apparently McIntyre stabbed himself to death, then hung himself and cut off one of his toes... which was apparently never recovered... needless to say several other articles go on to mention how one by one each of McIntyre's enemies have been turning up dead lately.  
    Alarmed by these revelations you decided that reading old newspapers is very stressful and you should probably cancel your subscription, or stop stealing your neighbor's newspapers... whichever is more relevant... 

Those kind of pains can be annoying.

Or perhaps it's a very explainable pain like when you try to tickle a honey badger and it latches onto your arm... that can be annoying and painful... especially if it's still there three weeks later.

Well, either way... I hope your arm feels better or it grows back it's it's already fallen off... I hope it hasn't fallen off... that's a bad sign. Three weeks is a long time for an arm to hurt that doesn't have a badger attached to it... You should probably have someone look at it if hasn't fallen off yet... probably a doctor or someone professionally trained in arm looking.

Don't just go to the store and have the grocer look at it. You'll need a Doctor... Doctors are pretty good at looking at stuff and making helpful comments like... "Looks like a honey badger to me..." 

Well... I'm sorry your arm hurts and I hope you can have that remedied.

Feel better.

*I'm just guessing your name is Dennis... because your username is dennisgray41... I'm also assuming you are one of at least 41 clones of someone named Dennis Gray... If I'm not mistaken, that's usually how these things work.

edited July 2020

Any word from Mistiara?  She should be healed enough to see again (at least out of one eye) and her 2nd surgery is coming up soon.

• dennisgray41dennisgray41 Posts: 754
    TheKD said:

Every time I see someone in public wearing an industrial m95 mask, I want to beat the hell out of them...... Haven't been able to find them in months, and I actually need the things :/

I was fined $35,000 for issueing them to employees without a health check first.,

McGyver said:

My arm hurts. Started 3 weeks ago.b I don't like it.

Sounds to me like you aren't giving the pain a chance... pain can be fun... no wait... other people's pain can be funny...

Okay, sounds like you're probably doing it right... pain is bad... that's probably why they sell anti-pain medications... which most people refer to as "pain meds" or "pain medication", which is stupid because you'd think that would be medication that causes pain. Which I suppose would sell, since there are whole genres of fetishes dedicated to that sorta stuff.

What were you doing 3 weeks ago that might have started the pain?... If it's something embarrassing you don't have to answer... unless it's funny... you still don't have to answer even if it is funny, it's just that some people might use a good laugh.

Is it one of those unexplainable pains?... like you wake up and you're missing a toe and you can't even find it anywhere in the room and you know you didn't sleepwalk, so you are really puzzled where it went... and on top of that it hurts. Then like a week later you find it in a little plastic bin in the freezer marked "Dennis's Toe"* and it's not even in your handwriting which make it more confusing, but at least it was frozen, so you are like "maybe they can reattach it!"... So you take it to the hospital and the doctor looks at it and says he could reattach it, but it's not the same toe... it's actually a different toe from the opposite side foot, so you look at the other foot, but nothing's amiss and you tell the doctor to give it a go and see if it works out.
    Luckily, he is one of the best toe reattachment surgeons in the country, so he's able make it stick back on and after a few weeks it's good as new... it's hairier than the old toe, a bit longer and meaner looking, but you figure "what the hell, a toe is a toe" and you go about your business... but every morning you wake up covered in blood and with vague recollections of horrible nightmares...

At first that kinda disturbs you a little, but since it's not your blood, you decide to see where this is going before jumping to conclusions... But later on while you are bundling the newspapers for recycling you see an article you missed... it's about the mysterious death in prison of the insane serial killer Dennis "The Menace" McIntyre... apparently McIntyre stabbed himself to death, then hung himself and cut off one of his toes... which was apparently never recovered... needless to say several other articles go on to mention how one by one each of McIntyre's enemies have been turning up dead lately.  
    Alarmed by these revelations you decided that reading old newspapers is very stressful and you should probably cancel your subscription, or stop stealing your neighbor's newspapers... whichever is more relevant... 

Those kind of pains can be annoying.

Or perhaps it's a very explainable pain like when you try to tickle a honey badger and it latches onto your arm... that can be annoying and painful... especially if it's still there three weeks later.

Well, either way... I hope your arm feels better or it grows back it's it's already fallen off... I hope it hasn't fallen off... that's a bad sign. Three weeks is a long time for an arm to hurt that doesn't have a badger attached to it... You should probably have someone look at it if hasn't fallen off yet... probably a doctor or someone professionally trained in arm looking.

Don't just go to the store and have the grocer look at it. You'll need a Doctor... Doctors are pretty good at looking at stuff and making helpful comments like... "Looks like a honey badger to me..." 

Well... I'm sorry your arm hurts and I hope you can have that remedied.

Feel better.

*I'm just guessing your name is Dennis... because your username is dennisgray41... I'm also assuming you are one of at least 41 clones of someone named Dennis Gray... If I'm not mistaken, that's usually how these things work.

You have a sick and twisted mind. Why would I have marked bins in my freezer...Or was it my freezer?

Non-complaint:  Wheee... I found my newly purchased CPU fan/cooler assembly that I'd specifically bought to fix my old computer.  The new fan had gotten "lost" in one of my wall of small shipping boxes for  computer parts.  Surprisingly I finally found it in a box labeled "Misc. Computer Parts."  who would'a thunk it?  I obviously put it in that box only a week or so ago.  Senility is creaping up quickly.frown

Complaint:  The process of finding my new fan entailed me finally getting my hands dirty and reorganizing my wall of parts boxes.  I'm about half way through.  I've been through about 10 boxes and finally thrown away ancient, ancient parts that I will never use and I don't have the patience to wait until I find someone interested in a USB1.1 hub or a CardBus ethernet adapter for a Win95 laptop.  Or half a dozen IDE cards, or old AGP video cards.  or..., or... much other ancient stuff.  Trashed it.yes  In this process I've freed up about two cubic feet of space on my wall by repacking some of the boxes, and many of them are much lighter.  Now, if I could just easily tell which one of my hundred USB cables are not CAT5 rated I'd get rid of them too.  Happily, I also found an old design but essentially new, barely unboxed MSI GeForce N730 graphics card to replace my existing really ancient ATI graphics card that tends to BSOD now and then.  I tried the N730 once before but no cigar.frown  This time I'll be a little more deliberate to tease out the settings necessary to make it work.enlightened

Oh, and in the process of sorting my boxes, I found a small bag of my old licenses and ID cards.  Found a PADI diving certificate photo of a 29 year old me from 1977, back in my SCUBA days, back when I weighed 160 pounds, 70 pounds ago.frown

If you look on youtube, you can find where you can turn all those extra parts into enough free gold to pay for the new video card for only about twice that much in toxic chemicals plus disposal costs, but you will likely only get .50 on the dollar for your gold. Good luck.

Yeah, disposal costs.  That's one of the reasons I never got very interested in chemistry despite having a nice chemistry set in my teens.  Too much cleaning of glassware, and worrying about what to do with the accumulating poisons.frown (Hint, They eventually went into our septic tank.blush  (Hey, it was the '60s, the world was still young, and besides the big chemical companies were dumping in the rivers so my half pint of death wouldn't mount to a hill of beans for 100 years until someone digs up the septic tank. (OMG only 40 years to go).

I got hooked by computer programming only a couple years later when I realized that I only needed my brain and there was no physical cleanup involved and other people provided the keypunch machine and took care of buying, installing, and maintaining the computer hardware.   Then PCs happened and it all turned on its head and now I had to be responsible for purchasing, installing, and maintaining my computers and I no longer program.sad  I should have been a mathematician or human language interpreter.  Except that I sucked at both those skills.indecision

I wanted to be a professional student which would have been great because I did really well in school and never had to study, But it has never done me any good as an (if you'll excuse the expression) adult, and frequently causes problems.

• BandoriFanBandoriFan Posts: 364
    TheKD said:

In these times we all do 

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604

Any word from Mistiara?  She should be healed enough to see again (at least out of one eye) and her 2nd surgery is coming up soon.

she did actually post   a while back    https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/5844586/#Comment_5844586

edited July 2020

In these times we all do 

Not really, no. Industrial masks are made to filter tiny toxic dust particles and oil fumes. A cloth mask works as good as an industrial mask for going out in public. Unfortunately, a cloth mask cannot do those things industrial masks are designed for at all. On a side not, am I crazy or did something change drastically here today? I don't remember seeing PHP code(I think that's what I am seeing) when I hit the quote button before. Also formatting is off, this side note should be a new paragraph as I have written it, but it is appearing as one paragraph in the post
    Post edited by TheKD on
  • DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,092
    Chohole said:

she did actually post   a while back    https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/5844586/#Comment_5844586

7:35 pm yesterday? She's usually much more active than that! Dana
    TheKD said:

In these times we all do 

Not really, no. Industrial masks are made to filter tiny toxic dust particles and oil fumes. A cloth mask works as good as an industrial mask for going out in public. Unfortunately, a cloth mask cannot do those things industrial masks are designed for at all. On a side not, am I crazy or did something change drastically here today? I don't remember seeing PHP code(I think that's what I am seeing) when I hit the quote button before. Also formatting is off, this side note should be a new paragraph as I have written it, but it is appearing as one paragraph in the post This isn't PHP code, it's HTML. That's really odd! Dana
    OK, the quote didn't really work on that last one! The last sentence is mine, the rest is TheKD's. Something is very wrong here! Dana
    I use the N95 masks with the CoolFlow valve in them when I do yardwork or woodworking. That type is not allowed in public because the valve expels your breath. They are needed for doing woodworking, when using power tools like saws and sanders. Or when mowing the lawn and weeds if you have allergies. Dana

Well at least I know if I am crazy, I am not the only one lol. I have actually seen a family in cosco wearing the vented ones, made me facepalm lol.

edited July 2020
    DanaTA said:
    OK, the quote didn't really work on that last one! The last sentence is mine, the rest is TheKD's. Something is very wrong here! Dana

The forums were really spazzing out a little while ago... I could not post or edit, but the forum insisted I was logged in despite the fact that it kept promoting me to register or log on.

It seems to have gotten over that now.

Post edited by McGyver on
    McGyver said:
    DanaTA said:

The forums were really spazzing out a little while ago... I could not post or edit, but the forum insisted I was logged in despite the fact that it kept promoting me to register or log on.

Usually when things like this happen it means they're playing around with the innards of the software, or perhaps trying something new out.  But, maybe not.

Dana

I made my own masks out of a cheap Nerf knockoff face shield... back when it was impossible to get anything... They use a two layer HEPA grade filter material and are made so that the filter pads can be replaced when they get foul. Technically it's three layers... a pre-filter, a ultra fine particulate layer and a HEPA layer.

The hard part was finding comfortable materials that conformed to the face and made a good seal.

I made a bunch for everyone in the family.

The original prototype without a pre-filter

The thing I modified into a filtering mask...

edited July 2020
    McGyver said:
    DanaTA said:

I haven't rebooted yet, but I've restarted my DAZ forum several times and I still can't edit my own posts.  Although it no longer tells me to "Sign In" despite knowing who I am.
    I'm assuming this is all part of the "no problem" switchover to new forum software discussed in that other thread that got off topic a little bit and spawned yet another thread to try to entice the off-topicness away, but failed.

Edited to add:  OOH, WAIT... I was able to edit this post, but not my earlier ones.  A partial yay!

• TJohnTJohn Posts: 11,020
    McGyver said:

I made my own masks out of a cheap Nerf knockoff face shield... back when it was impossible to get anything... They use a two layer HEPA grade filter material and are made so that the filter pads can be replaced when they get foul. Technically it's three layers... a pre-filter, a ultra fine particulate layer and a HEPA layer.

The hard part was finding comfortable materials that conformed to the face and made a good seal.

I made a bunch for everyone in the family.

The original prototype without a pre-filter

The thing I modified into a filtering mask...

Bane!

• RezcaRezca Posts: 3,391

So I'm not normally one to care about E3 and stuff,  usually I'd just be content to wait a week and find out whatever was talked about in my own good time and whatever, or just not be bothered at all.  This year however's different, since they're gonna be talking about the upcoming Halo game, which in the past two years we've gotten just three tiny little trailers for.  One which despite having been said does not indicate the gameplay in any way and is just a Reveal + Engine Tech Demo, has gotten so many people theorizing the game's going to be Open World ala Breath of the Wild,  a two minute trailer depicting the game's opening cutscene,  and a minute long more-or-less audio only one revealing the return of the Banished (Who were otherwise only in the spinoff Halo Wars 2)

The online event's gonna be tomorrow on the 23rd, an looking forward to it has put me into such a good mood this last week.  Then I read that it's going to be held at 9am.... While I'm at work.  Boo hiss.  At least I'll be able to catch the event as a VOD on Twitch later on,  it just means I won't be able to see it live x') 

Oh, and they'll be talkig about other games too I guess - tomorrow they'll be going over 'first-party' games and Halo just happens to be one of them.  So yeah,  half-complaint and half- noncomplaint~?

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,593
    edited July 2020

....haven't responded to thei thread for a while due to what I felt had been  condescending replies I have received in the from a certian member, but as this actually fits better here I definitely need some serious help here from someone who has a helpful solution.

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/5851281/#Comment_5851281

Post edited by kyoto kid on
    kyoto kid said:

....haven't responded to thei thread for a while due to what I felt had been  condescending replies I have received in the from a certian member, but as this actually fits better here I definitely need some serious help here from someone who has a helpful solution.

From what I understand in an article I saw browsing for a solution to another problem I've been having, it seems that "Shutdown" in Win10 does not actually do a complete shutdown, just more of a "comatose", but regardless, it doesn't clear everything like you think it should.surprise  I believe (from the same article) that to force the system to do a complete from scratch reboot you need to do a "Restart" instead of a "Shutdown".  It's an easy test.enlightened

..ah thank you. On W7 here but I'll giove that a try tonight.

edited July 2020

Complaint:  And while we're on the topic of 'puter problems.  I've been having an annoying situation with my "pictures" folder not being ready for operations sometimes when I want to drop another image into it or gets something out of it.  After weeks of observing, I think I've determined that if the system needs to scan my "pictures" folder in my standard (non-privileged) personal login account it sometimes boogers up.  The "sometimes" seems to associated with whether I've let my computer go to into "sleep" mode.  The symptom is that when I open the "pictures" folder the green progress bar starts progressing and sometimes a small text message appears at the top of the still empty "Pictures" folder display saying "Working on it" frown  It will scan for a long time (minutes) and sometimes finish and finally show my picture folders and files but sometimes it doesn't seem to want to finish at all.  I usually end up fixing the issue by "Restarting" the computer and not letting it fall into sleep mode.  Although I think sometimes the problem will appear anyway.

HOWEVER, all that being said, tonight was my automatic backup and instead of just accepting the backup worked like I usually do, I noticed that it reported an error.  Just one error.  It said that there was a problem with "C:\users\[me]\pictures\saved pictures".  Well, there certainly is, because there is no folder or file with that name, yet the backup program has that name in its list of things to be backed up.  So, there is a filesystem error.  But filesystem scans don't report any problem.frown

This is the problem that has been prompting me to upgrade my old main computer.  Perhaps it would be possible to fix the issue without rebuilding the operating system but I think I'm going to go ahead and do it anyway, just for shxts & grins and all the fun it will be.sad  It's time to bite the bullet and just do it.  I've tinkered and futzed with manual adjustments to the OS files & links & settings for at least 5 years and it's been through several OS upgrades each adding complexity and grandfathering in old features (like I still have a functional Guest account).  So, a fresh new copy of Win10_Pro might just weed my garden for me.indecision

Non-complaint:  Speaking of my old system upgrade.  My new hardware has started to arrive.  Yay!  Nice little pile of shiny new (or refurbished) magic devices with better blue smoke in them, is starting to pile up on my lab desk.  Yay, soon I'll have another quad-core machine with new fans, a better graphics card, another 1TB SSD, and an external USB3.0 Dual Bay Docking station.smiley

kyoto kid said:

Missed your input here KK. Hope to see more of you here. smiley

Tjohn said:
    kyoto kid said:

Missed your input here KK. Hope to see more of you here. smiley

,,.thank you.  

@ LeatherGryphon. ...did a restart last night still only one display is showig anything.  As I disconnected everything shortly after the power went down, so all components were protected from a potential power spke when power was restored (which would have ben the only way the monitor would have been damaged).  It has to be something in Windows I am not aware of as again, everytime it boots up I get the BIOS screen asking me to select which OS I want to use which I should never see, particularly after a proper shutdown or restart.  The only time that screen should appear is if the shutdown was "unexpected" (like when the power goes down or I did hard shutdown when the system is totally locked up).

Also beforehand, when I would start the system up, the ASUS "splash screen" would appear on the second display.  Now it shows up on the main one.instead, but other items that I desginated for the second display still open there..Also after I shut the system down, I don't get the message that there is "no signal", and the power button light remains steady.  Going to disconnect,/reconnect the viedo cable and do another restart to see if that fixes it

Again disregard any typos..  

edited July 2020

...well that didn't work either. 

I have no idea what got fouled up or even how that would have occurred, It likely has to do with some odd or hidden configuration setting or something like that which I cannot find as nothing in the Control Panel seems to help and I am totally out of ideas.  

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • RezcaRezca Posts: 3,391

Tired.  That's really my only complaint right now.  Tired, long day, and weh.   At least the weekend is coming up soon aaaah.....

"How many roads must a man walk down
    Before you call him a man?..."

Is that really the criteria for being called a man?

Man, Zimmerman be crazy.

This discussion has been closed.