The completely gratuitous complaint thread

Comments

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,745

..wish I could get a beta update.  However, with all the issues I've had with the Install Manager since last year and then issues others have been experiencing with the latest update, I just went to manually downloading to the IM folder on my library drive and installing in offline mode. A bit more tedious, particularly during sales, but at least no issues with all my preferences and settings being overwritten with the default every time there is a new update as well as having the login.ini and Manifest.JSON files installing to the wrong locations.. 

• McGyverMcGyver Posts: 7,033
    edited July 2020
    McGyver said:

Speaking of small text mode... didn't the forums used to have a much smaller font than "normal"?
    And also...  I find "Normal" to be a rather presumptuous designation... who is to say what is normal to fonts?  Just because a font is bigger or smaller doesn't mean they aren't "normal"... I think trying to force outdated concepts of conformity on fonts isn't healthy... for fonts or us.

Under "Styles",  Big or Small.

Thanks... Maybe because at the moment I'm on my iPad (generally I visit the forums from my iPad), that does not appear as an option... just italic title, special container and marker... Maybe it's available on desktops only?… I'll check Firefox... (Safari kinda sucks with the forum software anyway).

Edited to Add-   Nope, Firefox is the same.

Post edited by McGyver on
  • TheKDTheKD Posts: 2,677
    edited July 2020

Here, there is a scrollbar on the right of the style menu, can use the mouse to move it, or the scroll wheel to see more options.

Post edited by TheKD on
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited July 2020

text tools.jpg
    1600 x 900 - 52K
    Post edited by Chohole on
  • McGyverMcGyver Posts: 7,033

Yeah, I see... unfortunately I tend to use the iPad for the forums... this is what the Styles menu looks like on iPadOS...

It is bereft of the options illustrated in the other images.

Rats.

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,318

Yet another iThing disappoints.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565

The only problem with the iThing is that it doesn't have a hands-free mode.

c92d2c3e4d329344524ad08afd9b053e--addams-family-hand-thing-addams-family.jpg
    500 x 365 - 39K
  • DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,139

laugh  laugh  laugh  

Dana

(*snicker snicker*)laughyes

...been dealing with restoring my phone's setup most of the afternoon,  Part of the process was trying recover the ringtone and message notification tones I used.  As the ringtone I had the one from the programme 24 which was free, and didn't require downloading an app I used to have an old fashioned phone ring (really not fond of music or songs, which there is an abundance of, for a ringtone) but as that became so popular, I wanted something more distinctive so I knew it was my phone ringing.  Only took me about 15 min to find and apply it as my ringtone the last time, today I spent a couple hours and was unsuccessful.  Oh, there are ones for sale or through suscruption services you have to pay for, but not into that.considering I already was ableto get it for free before.

Probably went through most of my data for the month in the process.

Having to squint so long at that tiny screen. when I came to the Forum here, I saw the title of this thread as The Completely Gelatinous Complaint Thred.

98° in the 'hood today, with another 90°+ day tomorrow. Was 100° or better on Sunday and Monday here in town  (99°and 98" out at the airport where the aeroplanes and coyotes live).

...*groan".

• TJohnTJohn Posts: 11,054
    kyoto kid said:

...been dealing with restoring my phone's setup most of the afternoon,  Part of the process was trying recover the ringtone and message notification tones I used.  As the ringtone I had the one from the programme 24 which was free, and didn't require downloading an app I used to have an old fashioned phone ring (really not fond of music or songs, which there is an abundance of, for a ringtone) but as that became so popular, I wanted something more distinctive so I knew it was my phone ringing.  Only took me about 15 min to find and apply it as my ringtone the last time, today I spent a couple hours and was unsuccessful.  Oh, there are ones for sale or through suscruption services you have to pay for, but not into that.considering I already was ableto get it for free before.

Probably went through most of my data for the month in the process.

Having to squint so long at that tiny screen. when I came to the Forum here, I saw the title of this thread as The Completely Gelatinous Complaint Thred.

98° in the 'hood today, with another 90°+ day tomorrow. Was 100° or better on Sunday and Monday here in town  (99°and 98" out at the airport where the aeroplanes and coyotes live).

It is a bit gelatinous in here at times.

edited July 2020

Complaint:  Despite notice from the vendor, that my Amazon order of my new CPU chip that was sent to the wrong location would resume its journey towards my actual location and arrive by Wednesday, it now turns out that it wasn't that timely.frown  And despite the notice that the FedEx shipping label had been created 40 hours ago, the actual package didn't leave the Florida city where it was incorrectly sent until last night.  So not only will it not arrive by Wednesday, nor today (Thursday) but now they're saying Friday.  (*sigh*)  C'mon people treat it like a heart transplant, that's how I'm viewing it.crying  My computer is on the operating table, guts exposed, blood dripping, flies buzzing, surgeon now thinking about getting drunk.angry  And the the sun is barely up.

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on
  • MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

had the killer squirrel dream again.  squirrel atr my kittens.

the sqirrel king not a nice bloke

Mmmm..., kittens with fava beans and a nice chianti.   Ffffffff.surprise

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,483

One of these days I'll finally remember not to edit splines in 3D.

...ugh, current heat wave has meant foregoing rendering (even tests).  As I have older gear, need to treat it gently. because I can't afford to replace it. Finally supposed to begin to cool down starting tomorrow but not by very much.  Still in the low 70s at 02:05 local time.

Night all.

• KA1KA1 Posts: 1,012
    Complaint - So apparently I missed a 30-FOR-ALL coupon due to being on the wrong part of the globe so was sleeping (or I guess it could've been I blinked if the promo was VERY flash sale) Suggested wording for a rerun would be : Usable once per customer (but only those customers that see these for the 13minutes 8seconds it's up and must be used before 14minutes from banner going up to be valid) - Coupon Code - 30-FOR-ALL-ACTUALLY-NOT-REALLY-ALL-AT-ALL-BUT-SOME-MIGHT-GET-LUCKY-ENJOY
  • akmerlowakmerlow Posts: 1,124

What happened to forums surprise

How to put "general" section back to the top? angry

WYSIWYG.

• Charlie JudgeCharlie Judge Posts: 12,483
    edited August 2020

MAJOR COMPLAINT: Huricane Isaisis is going over top of us on Monday night (or very early (2am) Tuesday).  I'm so not ready for this.

ETA: In case anyone is wondering that black circle with 'H' that is marked Tues 2 AM is where I live.

115720_5day_cone_with_line_and_wind.png
    897 x 736 - 102K
    Post edited by Charlie Judge on
    edited August 2020

Almost a complaint:  Arghhh..., My new i5 4-core CPU chip came this morning and I've been performing surgery,  Patient is on the recovery table now so I'm speaking through an alternate channel.  Organ transplants went well but with minor difficulty with the new CPU cooler.  It didn't have the right anchors to attach to the motherboard.  The old cooler had a screwdown mechanism, but the new cooler has a punchdown & spread anchor.  Yeah, yeah, I could have probably removed the motherboard and removed the metal cooler screwdown base from the bottomside  of the motherboard but I didn't feel that adventurous today.  So, for the moment, I'm stuck with the old cooler.  Also, I haven't replaced the fan mounted on the top of it yet because of conformance issues.  (*sigh*).  So, I'm stuck with the old problematic fan until I can decided how to handle this.  The old i5-2-core CPU chip has been cleaned, bagged and safely stored away.

Another yucky part of my day has been trying to get a virgin copy of Windows10-Pro installed, but due to my stupidity I wasted two hours trying to figure out why it wouldn't boot the WindowsInstaller from the thumbdrive I made a couple weeks ago.  The bootable Thumbdrive wouldn't show up in the boot devices. frown After a while I gave up and tried to burn a copy of the Windows Installer to DVD but it requires 8GB of space and dual-layer DVD media which I don't have any of, nor any DL compatable DVD drives (that I know of).  So, I gave up on that front too.  Desperate I started researching the web for ways to boot the WindowsInstaller ISO file without using USB devices.  I found a way but it entailed unmounting my new SSD, transporting it to another machine to get the Windows Installer loaded on it and then remounting back in the new computer.  Again not up for that adventure.

Finally, after having supper and moping for about an hour, I decided to have one last look at the USB thumbdrive.  Hmmm... it's got what looks to be the right type of files and folders for booting but it won't boot.  Then I looked closer and realized that it was not what I thought it was.  So, I logged onto my other machine again and downloaded a new copy of the USB bootable Win10 for a blank thumbdrive, tried that in my patient on the table and voila!  It's Alive, It's Alive! smiley

While I had the patient opened up, I removed his FireWire board and the old graphics board.  Then I removed the "DO NOT REMOVE" socket caps from the on-board video output sockets (they'd never been used because the computer came with the old video board installed.)  I'd hoped that the on-board ports would work now that I had a CPU chip that supported graphics natively, and YEA!  they did.

I have not installed my not great, but slightly better and newer video board yet, but will continue the Win10 installation with the on-board ports until I'm sure everything else is working properly.  I did remove my old WiFi mini-board (no longer supported because of not having modern encryption), and installed a newer WiFi mini-board supporting newer protocols such as dual-band, 802.11a/b/g/n/ac, modern encryption, and Bluetooth.yes  Not that I really use WiFi on that machine but I hate having hardware that doesn't work to full capacity.

And lastly I removed my old Crucial MX-500 1TB SSD and set it aside for archival purposes and restoration of user data when I reach that point.  I then installed my new Samsung 860 1TB SSD.  There is still a 2TB hard drive that holds backup and archives but that will remain off-line until everything else is running properly.  I think I'm also going to remove the BluRay reader and put the old 1TB SSD in its place.  (I only have 4 SATA ports)  Never used the Blu-Ray anyway, but I could move it to my other machine (6 SATA ports) if needed.

Now, it's just days of locating, reinstalling and configuring all the programs I still use.

Edited to add:  8:00 PM and Win10-Pro is up and running, all currently installed hardware is registered and drivered, it networks, and I've had it for the day.  Tomorrow is another day.  Time for an easy chair, some cheese & crackers, a mild drink, and some TV. smiley

Computers identify as she/her. Just saying. smiley

..did I just have a post deleted?  

• TaozTaoz Posts: 9,786

Another yucky part of my day has been trying to get a virgin copy of Windows10-Pro installed, but due to my stupidity I wasted two hours trying to figure out why it wouldn't boot the WindowsInstaller from the thumbdrive I made a couple weeks ago.  The bootable Thumbdrive wouldn't show up in the boot devices. frown After a while I gave up and tried to burn a copy of the Windows Installer to DVD but it requires 8GB of space and dual-layer DVD media which I don't have any of, nor any DL compatable DVD drives (that I know of). 

Have Windows 10 really grown that much?  I have the first version on a single layer DVD and it's not even full.

• TaozTaoz Posts: 9,786
    Taoz said:

Another yucky part of my day has been trying to get a virgin copy of Windows10-Pro installed, but due to my stupidity I wasted two hours trying to figure out why it wouldn't boot the WindowsInstaller from the thumbdrive I made a couple weeks ago.  The bootable Thumbdrive wouldn't show up in the boot devices. frown After a while I gave up and tried to burn a copy of the Windows Installer to DVD but it requires 8GB of space and dual-layer DVD media which I don't have any of, nor any DL compatable DVD drives (that I know of). 

Have Windows 10 really grown that much?  I have the first version on a single layer DVD and it's not even full.

I just gave it a try since I need it to reinstall a PC soon.  Windows 10 2004 does fit onto a single layer 4.7 GB DVD actually.  

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited August 2020
    kyoto kid said:

..did I just have a post deleted?  

I think you sent it to the wrong thread    

Post edited by Chohole on
    Taoz said:
    Taoz said:

I just gave it a try since I need it to reinstall a PC soon.  Windows 10 2004 does fit onto a single layer 4.7 GB DVD actually.  

Oh! surprise  Never mind! blush  I just assumed that the instructions at the Microsoft download site were accurate.  Silly me!

But no worries.  I now have a tested USB thumbdrive with the Win10-Pro installer on it.  Maybe I'll also go ahead and try to make a DVD copy too.enlightened

edited August 2020

Semi-complaint:  My patient is in the recovery room.  There was a problem though.  One of his new organs failed.sad  The basically still new MSI GeForce N730 graphics card that I've been hanging onto for 5 or 6 years, locks up the computer during bootfrown.  I thought perhaps if I already had a driver installed it would help, but neither MSI nor Nvidea have a compatable driver for this machine.  I did locate a proper driver at Nvidea but when I tried to install it (without the card installed) the installation complained that the driver was not compatable (catch-22).  MSI was no help at all except to direct me to Nvidea.  No worries though.  The old video card is still functional, although will sometimes hiccup and blue screen me. (about 3 times a year)  But that's OK, it gives me something else to put on my wishlist.

So, what have I accomplished with this upgrade?*  I've replaced a 2-core CPU with a same speed 4-core.  I've replaced an ancient unsupported WiFi mini-card with a modern WiFi mini-card with modern fast speeds, encryptions, and Bluetooth too.  I've replaced an 11 year old case fan with a new "BeQuiet" case fan (ah, silence).  I've replaced the "C:" drive SSD and will eventually add the old SSD in as additional fast archival storage.  I've removed an old FireWire card because it is no longer supported, and I only had one external hard drive that used FireWire, but it could also use USB but it's a moot point because that drive has been retired and archived anyway.  And finally, I've created weeks of work for myself to locate, install, and configure all my currently used applications and databases.

But what have I failed to accomplish?  The problematic CPU fan didn't get replaced because of form-factor incompatabilities.sad  It definitely does need to be replaced though because sometimes it fails to start reliably.surprise  But as long as I check when I turn the power on and give it a flick with my finger, and as long as I don't let the system sleep, it keeps on ticking.  Also, I was unable to find a use for the slightly newer/better graphics card that I'd been hanging onto for several years (it was a trade), I think I got the short end of the stick.frown

Remember, the purpose of this upgrade was to fix the CPU fan and in the process add another SSD and completely rebuild my Windows OS.  The OS had been upgraded in situ many times with some obscure failures and incompatabilities over the years and was behaving annoyingly strangely.  Time to use a new broom to sweep clean.

"form-factor incompatabilities"=it don't fit? smiley

This discussion has been closed.