Post your DAZ to Unreal renders

Comments

• G3 clusters connected to MoBo voice device.

• Hi,

Attached is a high-resolution screenshot I created for Genesis 3 character in UE4. It was two years ago when the official bridge was not available. I bought a plug-in from UE4 store.

The reason I went back to Daz for rendering was the following issues in this picture:

• The edge is not smooth. I hear the mesh smooth feature is gone when rendering in UE4.
    • Body pokes through the cloth. I am not sure it is something related to the smooth feature.
    • The hair looks awful.

Other than these issues, I am pretty happy with the result. Can anybody help me resolve these issues? Will the new bridge help?

Thanks,

Battlefield.0000.jpg
    3840 x 2160 - 2M
  • edited December 2020

Hi commando2009;

Yes your problems are logical. You are right. But any software don't works perfect actually. We have to fix them manually. Can you follow those steps :

+ First of all, use DazToUnreal plugin for export (Subdivision level 1 for only character), import character with .dtu file like tutorials. 

+ UE - From Maya Smooth Mesh FIX

For fixing that, Open IrayUberShader into Unreal Material Editor (Search it first) and Enable Tesellation (Bottom side in Left Panel) > Choose PN Tesellation and Save it. All shapes will be smooth.

Please read this article for detailed fixes : https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/452926/daz-to-unreal-bridge-materials-plugin-fix-morph-exporting-smooth-meshes-fix

+ UE is a game engine and the best option is using cloth and hair simulation tools. Or don't use long hairs or clothes. But physical simulations are very useful into unreal. You can try it. Also they are realtime :) More realistic and fast. (For hair, you can use Maya XGen or Ornatrix or Yeti fur plugins. This is not easy way actually but we are working for professional results.)

Post edited by moreffector_3290526 on
  • EllessarrEllessarr Posts: 1,390

commando2009 said:

Hi,

Attached is a high-resolution screenshot I created for Genesis 3 character in UE4. It was two years ago when the official bridge was not available. I bought a plug-in from UE4 store.

The reason I went back to Daz for rendering was the following issues in this picture:

• The edge is not smooth. I hear the mesh smooth feature is gone when rendering in UE4.
    • Body pokes through the cloth. I am not sure it is something related to the smooth feature.
    • The hair looks awful.

Other than these issues, I am pretty happy with the result. Can anybody help me resolve these issues? Will the new bridge help?

Thanks,

hello, well your problems are very common problems for realtime rendering and film make

1 - you have 2 option, option one is export or to maya or to blender and inside blender or maya use the smooth edges on that it will create a proper illusion of round or you can try do that in daz to unreal, not aways work but sometimes it can, go to the character parameters look for mesh resolution option, then on that look for edge interpolation in that option choose soft corners and edges then click on the gear then choose to lock it, it will lock that option then when you try to export to unreal it will try to "export that option to unreal" not aways work but if it work then the character will look more rounded.

2 - body poke, is the most basic, if during yout animation in none moment the character gonna get "naked" or not gonna show "the skin" then you just have to "delete" the mesh, delete any part of the mesh which will be not visible in the character, for exemple he is using a long dress and only feet and a really small part of the legs will be visible, delete all the legs part not visible, the same goes for shorts or skirts, any part of the body not gonna be visible and have a high chance to poke throught the cloths just delete, if at any moment you need a "naked character, then you can have a "spare naked body" to use as a "extra component" to be visible only when the character goes naked, and keep using the cut body, i've made a sort of tutorial about it here:

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/5174496/#Comment_5174496

this give you some hints about how to work with the character to avoid poke, in unreal you have a option which allow you to build a character like a full customization where you can create countless parts and have it being changed during the animation whenever is needed, you just need to learn how to do that.

3 - hair aways is a complicated matter but now daz have a new hair system using alembic groom, which is very good you just need to learn how to use it, or learn how to proper tweky hairs in unreal.

• Ellessarr,

Thanks for the detailed instructions!

I read your post regarding the "body poke" issue. Man, it is too much work to solve this kind of "simple" issue. I think I probably will stay with Daz3d rendering for now until these issues are resolved by UE4 (or maybe UE5 :-)

• I just hide the geometry to avoid poke through.  It might not ft your workflow or use case though http://davidvodhanel.com/daz-to-unreal-hiding-figure-geometry/

commando2009 said:

Ellessarr,

Thanks for the detailed instructions!

I read your post regarding the "body poke" issue. Man, it is too much work to solve this kind of "simple" issue. I think I probably will stay with Daz3d rendering for now until these issues are resolved by UE4 (or maybe UE5 :-)

well to be fair the issue do happens aswell in daz, some animations or poses can make the skin poket through the cloths too, it's just daz have a automated system which try to "fix" it by readjusting the cloth in the skin, while it can work most of the times not all times work then you also need some extra steps in daz specially when you are using "old outfits" on new characters like a genesis or genesis 2 or 3 outfit on a genesis 8 characters.

the multi part body is more like if you want to have a full modular body, where you need to keep changing cloths, hairs and bla bla bla if the character gonna be away using the same outfit without get naked you just need to hidden/remove the skin fom the body for that oufti and export the full character with the proper fix, another "work around" is if the outfit have "adjustment morphs" on it, you must use it to make the outfit "little big"(have more space between outfit and ski) it also can work to make the skin not poke if the space between outfit and body is big enough, but the outfit must have this sort of adjustment or if you know how to create you must create this sort of morph. 

• JoJo Posts: 17
    edited December 2020

I have used daz studio on and off for a couple of years but iray rendering took so long on my 1070ti  then 1080ti that, I kind of gave in.

While locked down I decided to try and learn UE4 and then graduted to using the DTU bridge, so I could do rendering in Unreal engine instead.

I have never been particularly artistic but here is my resent effort. There is some post editing and production done in Davinci Resolve but most was done in house in UE 4.26

Rendering for all shots/frames took about 45 mins in total, which is quite amazing compared to iray renders.

Youtube have compressed the hell out of it, so the quality is poor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZqdnx6pE-k

Post edited by Jo on
  • commando2009commando2009 Posts: 16
    edited December 2020

Hi,

I've been trying to see how to take advantage of both UE4 and Daz3d to create a better video.

Here is my first proof-of-concept... basically, the main character with a short animation was rendered by iray and imported to UE4, where the scene was set up. 

I would like to thanks folks in this forum for helping me solve all kinds of technical issues. 

Have a good holiday!

vlcsnap-2020-12-25-20h59m15s516.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 437K
    Post edited by commando2009 on
  • JoJo Posts: 17

commando2009 said:

Hi,

I've been trying to see how to take advantage of both UE4 and Daz3d to create a better video.

Here is my first proof-of-concept... basically, the main character with a short animation was rendered by iray and imported to UE4, where the scene was set up. 

I would like to thanks folks in this forum for helping me solve all kinds of technical issues. 

Have a good holiday!

Did you composite a 2d iray render inside ue4 for this ?

I like that idea !

• Jo said:

commando2009 said:

Hi,

Have a good holiday!

Did you composite a 2d iray render inside ue4 for this ?

I like that idea !

That is correct. Here is the video.

https://youtu.be/cSVW5E_Qd5Y 

• Hacked the Epic Trooper sample

The red gal is Genesis 3

• frankiev888_28b3c399af said:

Hacked the Epic Trooper sample

The red gal is Genesis 3

Impressive! 

I guess you replaced the original character with a G3F, right?

Did you try to tweak the materials of G3F, so she blends into the environment and has a similar look and feel?

Commando

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,712

Pretty cool

my retargetting to other characters than the manequin never go terribly well but not tried with the bridge yet

I am guessing you swapped out the character and used a retargetted BP

• superlativecgsuperlativecg Posts: 125
    edited June 2021

Lightsaber

Post edited by superlativecg on
    edited January 2021

cool Superlative yes

only a facebook link as still going to add NPC's and animals 

but this month this free Western town asset is awesome 

https://www.facebook.com/1653360584/posts/10222733245433766/

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on

superlativecg said:

Lightsaber

hey one question the "breasts" physic you did manually??it was animation?, i'm planing to use those type of physics not only for "breast but also for things like "belly" for fat peoples to make my characters behavious more "realistic when animated. 

edited January 2021

The breast physics was included in the walk animation.

• WendyLuvsCatz said:

cool Superlative yes

only a facebook link as still going to add NPC's and animals 

but this month this free Western town asset is awesome 

https://www.facebook.com/1653360584/posts/10222733245433766/

Great stuff!

superlativecg said:

what was the animation you used and how you exported it?

adding animals

and womenfolk and cloth physics

edited January 2021

Ellessarr said:

superlativecg said:

what was the animation you used and how you exported it?

Check the link in the video description.  I exported it through FBX.

• RuphussRuphuss Posts: 2,631

superlativecg said:

Lightsaber

i love this environment with the tree and butterflies

but always getting an error message when trying to rebuild lighting

did someone manage to solve this ?

• RuphussRuphuss Posts: 2,631
    edited January 2021

just tested the new free for the month "western town" as shown by Wendy already

so great

has its own player in first person mode

you can change dust with "1"

and rain with "2"

and day/night with "3"

looked up the stairs in the saloon for some girls: now thats something to add with our program here

moving doors with sound

and a mining cave

and all for free

just wow !

Post edited by Ruphuss on
  • UpL8RenderingUpL8Rendering Posts: 129
    edited January 2021

I really liked The Orion environment https://www.daz3d.com/the-orion so I wanted to try putting together a cool scene using it.

Here are the results:

Post edited by UpL8Rendering on

UpL8Rendering said:

I really liked The Orion environment https://www.daz3d.com/the-orion so I wanted to try putting together a cool scene using it.

Here are the results:

https://youtu.be/3uydotR8fuI

very nice yes 

• WendyLuvsCatz said:

very nice yes 

Thank you much!

• More Vikings, one with attitudedevil