Post Your Renders - Happy New Year yall

Comments

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584
    edited December 1969

Here's some more WIP shots. I'm pretty happy with the scene as it stands now, and I've had a stab at getting it into DS (see last pic) - it's all there, but it needs refining, since DS pretty much grinds to a halt (if it wasn't for the weird behaviour of capturing the mouse and highlighting stuff as you move the mouse around, I'm sure it would be much more performant). Then I'll have to figure out DS lights and render settings... ho ho!

Screen_Shot_2015-04-18_at_22.34_.40_.png
    1619 x 1311 - 944K
    Rooftop.jpg
    1600 x 1000 - 1M
    Arch.jpg
    1600 x 1000 - 1M
    Pond.jpg
    1600 x 1000 - 1M
    OverBridge.jpg
    1600 x 1000 - 1M
  • 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311
    edited December 1969

HI Tim :)

Really nice work

I don't get why you'd want to port it to DS, unless it's for sale, in which case you should probably think about using the replication plugin for DS (attack of the clones) or something like that ,. and essentially rebuild the thing with lower poly objects, ....Decimate and reduce the load.
    I think for a product you'd also want to create individual objects for DS, so that people can load what they want until they either have the compete thing, or they run out of memory

I think it's also worth noting that even Carrara would have issues with an OBJ scene like that.

Bryce would be a better software to aim at, since it already has the foundation tools to create trees/plants and distribute objects.

Just thunking out loud :)

edited December 1969

Some stuff - the trees in particular - are already replicated, but I wanted to get everything in there to see "how bad it was" before making further optimisations...

• JonstarkJonstark Posts: 2,738
    edited December 1969

3DAGE said:
    I bought a GTX 650 Ti .. whatever that means , with 2GB of memory
    It was about 120 money things.

I'm with you on Carrara's own renderer,. it's still really fast (compared to other biased renderers, and great quality.

The big advantage with octane (for me) is that you can see what you're doing, ..as you're doing it.
    It makes texturing stuff into fun, and lighting into a pleasure.
    The drawback is that the Carrara Shader functions we're used to, like pattern functions, Natural functions and Terrain shaders with elevation and slope etc,..... just aren't there ...yet

Carrara render with a little post :)

Great renders, 3DAGE, really nice work.

While I don't regret having Luxus, Octane and Thea (and soon I'll pick up Luxcore too), I have to admit that if I had known back then what I know now about how to get realistic lighting calculations out of Carrara's native renderer, I might never have purchased any of the unbiased render options. Carrara's native renderer really is one of the best biased render engines around. Of course, I like the fact that I can composite an Octane render with a Carrara render from the exact same camera shot so if I want to I can put all those great Carrara effects into an unbiased render too (of course I'm particularly keen on dynamic hair, but there are tons of other Carrara passes and effects as well).

edited December 1969

3DAGE said:
    Just messing around with soft-body physics,.
    It seems to have had a lot of work done to make it perform better.
    It's draping nicely on a static model, but still passes through with animation.

Carrara render with some tweaks in post

Stringtheory has developed a workable method of having animated softbody cloth without the fall-through/poke-through problem.

There's a whole thread on it here: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/49954/

Essentially it involves making an invisible softbody 'undersuit', so that the visible cloth isn't colliding with the character at all but rather the invisible 'undersuit'. Cloth calculations can be very fast, nearly realtime, and for many instances it's very workable (below is one of my proofs of concept to illustrate)

cloth_skirt_hair_idle.gif
    200 x 300 - 2M
    edited December 1969

Tim that scene is looking fantastic. Almost seems a shame to try to put such a great Carrara scene into poor little old limited Studio... :)

• DADA_universeDADA_universe Posts: 336
    edited December 1969

Nice work Tim_A, so nice to see a Carrara product in development before it hits the store.

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311
    edited December 1969

Hi Jon :)

Thanks for the link to that thread,. some very intriguing ideas there,.... lot's to read :)

I've been playing with softbody in the last few days and its much better than before.
    I had tried using the softbody attach modifier, but by attaching it to the model, rather than a proxy.
    your animation looks interesting, (great for a gif) there's obviously potential for some animated soft body clothing.
    I'll see what I can come up with in the next few days

:)

Lotus_dress.jpg
    557 x 720 - 98K
  • DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326
    edited December 1969

OMG Tim, That is Fantastic! Wow!

edited April 2015

OMG Tim, That is Fantastic! Wow!

Thanks Dartanbeck :) You really don't appreciate the power behind a simple phrase like "chuck a few more plants in the replicator" until you try and reproduce the result in something that can't handle it!

(and now that Spring has sprung, there's lots of new plants growing, and my copy of Harrap's English Wild Flowers is doing overtime, not to mention camera and scanner. But they won't go into this scene - I have to hold something back!)

BTW, anyone know of a fishing tackle prop? - rods, line, floats etc. I could make it but I'm feeling lazy... ;) - there's a sign on the gate by the pond that says "No Fishing', and you know what that means... lol!

Post edited by TangoAlpha on
  • ncampncamp Posts: 345
    edited December 1969

Poser World has some fishing rods.

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
    edited April 2015

Hammer and Nails, don't know if bunny is their new robo buddy. :)

hammerandmails-bunny_bro_or.png
    1500 x 1125 - 2M
    hammerandmails-bunny_bro_or2.png
    1500 x 1125 - 2M
    Post edited by Mistara on
  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125
    edited December 1969

very cool. what shader are you using for the blue bunny?

edited April 2015

was in the metal shaders folder.

except for hammer and nails, dropped ca's included shaders on everything else :)

hmmm hammer and nails could use some glowy eyes, led style like

Post edited by Mistara on
    edited December 1969

ncamp said:
    Poser World has some fishing rods.

Thanks, ncamp. I've found one on ShareCG as well. :)

edited April 2015

Tim_A said:

Thanks Dartanbeck :) You really don't appreciate the power behind a simple phrase like "chuck a few more plants in the replicator" until you try and reproduce the result in something that can't handle it!
    Yeah, I can't imagine Poser liking it either. I must admit that I haven't been upgrading it. Wow was I amazed at how much more material I could use in Carrara 8 Pro (my first Carrara) compared to Poser 7! I wonder if smaller, or perhaps a modular kind of approach might give users better performance? I started trying to work out EnvironKits - Woodlands into a DS version and didn't get very far. It's just so different from Carrara that it starts to drive me nuts! But what I was trying to do is to put large expanses into backdrop planes that could be moved around and such, without taking up too much of DS's precious resources. In the tiny glances that I did put towards using DS, I was impressed. Wendy Loves Cats tried explaining the fact that we can use different shader choices (major shader workings - not materials) when I've finally decided that I'd really need a lot more education in DS before I go any further - something I intend to explore one day.

Tim_A said:
    (and now that Spring has sprung, there's lots of new plants growing, and my copy of Harrap's English Wild Flowers is doing overtime, not to mention camera and scanner. But they won't go into this scene - I have to hold something back!)

Absolutely! It would be cool to have follow-up texture packs available - perhaps eve with new models, etc., Whatever you come up with would be awesome!

BTW, anyone know of a fishing tackle prop? - rods, line, floats etc. I could make it but I'm feeling lazy... ;) - there's a sign on the gate by the pond that says "No Fishing', and you know what that means... lol!LOL
    Reminds me of the old days... and you're exactly right!

Post edited by Dartanbeck on
    edited December 1969

Yeah, I can't imagine Poser liking it either. I must admit that I haven't been upgrading it. Wow was I amazed at how much more material I could use in Carrara 8 Pro (my first Carrara) compared to Poser 7! I wonder if smaller, or perhaps a modular kind of approach might give users better performance? I started trying to work out EnvironKits - Woodlands into a DS version and didn't get very far. It's just so different from Carrara that it starts to drive me nuts! But what I was trying to do is to put large expanses into backdrop planes that could be moved around and such, without taking up too much of DS's precious resources. In the tiny glances that I did put towards using DS, I was impressed. Wendy Loves Cats tried explaining the fact that we can use different shader choices (major shader workings - not materials) when I've finally decided that I'd really need a lot more education in DS before I go any further - something I intend to explore one day.

DS (4.5+) only has very limited replication, but I've made extensive use of it. Unfortunately all the replicants are still fully rendered in the Assembly Room equivalent, so there's still a massive performance hit even though the resource footprint is right down. (my 3 tree zones each have 12 trees, compared to 40+ in C8.5. Each zone needs a set of 3 full tree props so it can be loaded individually). Undergrowth - grasses, weeds etc. - is down from 2000 a side to 200 & 8 real props. I've spent the last few days basically just decimating stuff. The first pass I did was essentially Carrara's replicators turned down, converted to instances and exported. It looked okay, but you had to hide everything to move the camera!

I've got my 60ft oak down to 35000 polys, mostly by switching to cross-planar leaf clusters. In the pic, the trees on the right are my first pass - single plane leaf clusters and 58000 polys. (by way of comparison, the full res tree in Carrara, using a single poly transmapped leaf and converted to a vertex object, weighs in at over 2 million polygons!)

DS can't replicate to a surface, but I've now got a nice workflow going, where I run Carrara and DS side by side. I still convert to real instances in C8.5, but instead of exporting, I just run down the list and copy the XYZR numbers across to the DS fake instances. It's the kind of thing that would be really well suited to a script (which is code for "mind-numbingly boring"!), but I don't know if either program is scriptable - I've never seen mention of it.

Maybe Poser 2016 will have a replicator?

DSTest6.jpg
    1000 x 1000 - 527K
  • DADA_universeDADA_universe Posts: 336
    edited December 1969

Tim_A said:

DS (4.5+) only has very limited replication, but I've made extensive use of it. Unfortunately all the replicants are still fully rendered in the Assembly Room equivalent, so there's still a massive performance hit even though the resource footprint is right down. (my 3 tree zones each have 12 trees, compared to 40+ in C8.5. Each zone needs a set of 3 full tree props so it can be loaded individually). Undergrowth - grasses, weeds etc. - is down from 2000 a side to 200 & 8 real props. I've spent the last few days basically just decimating stuff. The first pass I did was essentially Carrara's replicators turned down, converted to instances and exported. It looked okay, but you had to hide everything to move the camera!

I've got my 60ft oak down to 35000 polys, mostly by switching to cross-planar leaf clusters. In the pic, the trees on the right are my first pass - single plane leaf clusters and 58000 polys. (by way of comparison, the full res tree in Carrara, using a single poly transmapped leaf and converted to a vertex object, weighs in at over 2 million polygons!)

DS can't replicate to a surface, but I've now got a nice workflow going, where I run Carrara and DS side by side. I still convert to real instances in C8.5, but instead of exporting, I just run down the list and copy the XYZR numbers across to the DS fake instances. It's the kind of thing that would be really well suited to a script (which is code for "mind-numbingly boring"!), but I don't know if either program is scriptable - I've never seen mention of it.

Both programs are scriptable, I have no experience with either, but for Daz Studio, just search the Daz Studio forum or check in the online documentation. For Carrara, this website (in French) has been shared in the past and seems to be a useful resource. Just recently, diomede64 used some of the scripts to make petals in this month's Carrara challenge WIP thread.

edited December 1969

...and let's not forget Fractal Dimensia's PySwarm for Carrara which uses Frederic Ribble's PyCarrara plugin, allowing for Python scripting. Here's where FractalDimensia was Exploring PyCarrara

edited December 1969

basic shaders haz a glowing neon. :lol:

it's tricky to find the correct shader domain from a dropdown list, is there a surface selection tool?

HnN_basic_shaders_neon_glowing.png
    1500 x 1125 - 850K
  • evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited December 1969

Tim_A said:

I've gotta say, the Carrara versions you've posted look much better than the DS version. It gives me even more reason to stick with a Carrara only product, should I decide to continue with my own ideas- no matter what the honchos at DAZ want. There are certainly other venues.

• MarkIsSleepyMarkIsSleepy Posts: 1,496
    edited December 1969

it's tricky to find the correct shader domain from a dropdown list, is there a surface selection tool?

In the Assembly room you can drag a shader from the browser into the actual scene, while you are dragging it if you move the cursor over your target object each shading domain will turn bright red in turn and when you hit the one you want you can just drop the shader there to apply it.

DragDropTextureToShadingDomain.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 437K
    edited December 1969

I've gotta say, the Carrara versions you've posted look much better than the DS version. It gives me even more reason to stick with a Carrara only product, should I decide to continue with my own ideas- no matter what the honchos at DAZ want. There are certainly other venues.

I'm sure they mainly want the tower (which does look just as good in Studio), but while I *could* just bung it on a simple ground plane and say here you are, I want to do it justice. And I'm hopeless at keeping things small and simple! Worst case, it's been an interesting exercise on what can and can't be achieved, at least with my limited level of skill and experience. ;)

Have you seen the new Stonemason London previews in the Commons? They look utterly awesome...

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,964
    edited December 1969

Tim A , ave a look at this work for ideas http://www.daz3d.com/the-all-new-worldbase-xt-lushlands
    For your environs, also http://www.daz3d.com/ecomantics-efficient-ecosystems
    Dimension theory has good brains

edited December 1969

MDO2010 said:

In the Assembly room you can drag a shader from the browser into the actual scene, while you are dragging it if you move the cursor over your target object each shading domain will turn bright red in turn and when you hit the one you want you can just drop the shader there to apply it.

iz hard to hit the right area eye lens small

edited December 1969

So, Rashad asked what differences there were between Carrara optimized skin shaders, such as the talented RingoMonfort sells, and the D|S shaders or Poser shaders that load when you open a figure from the Content or Smart Content browser. Most of us are familiar with the issues we get from loading a Gen4 figure such as V4 or M4, etc. Namely, annoying color multipliers and extremely bright highlights. More complex shaders, such as the Elite shaders sometimes don't load spec maps or other maps.

Anyway, since I haven't played around a whole lot with C8.5 yet, I decided to see how the Genesis Carrara optimized shaders compared to the shaders that load with the .duf file. I must say that they compare favorably in my test. My test was quickly set up, and the only thing I did was to enable SSS in the Carrara shaders, It was already set up by whoever built the shaders, it just wasn't enabled. I also didn't really check to see if the image maps were the same resolution.

Anyway, here's a render showing the same figure. The figure on the left has the Carrara shaders, and the figure on the right has the shaders that loaded with the .duf file. I used an hdri, a shape light, Skylight and Indirect light.

comparisson-raw.jpg
    1500 x 2000 - 482K
    edited December 1969

And this one uses postwork. I rendered an Object Index pass, a GI pass, an SSS pass, a shadow pass and a depth pass. I also cleaned up the ashing artifacts under the arms and on the thighs of the model on the left by selecting the offending areas and using a Gaussian blur on them.

The object index pass was to isolate the dress on the left and add it as a Layer mask so that I could adjust the color of the layer beneath it, thus making it appear more purple.

comparison-post.jpg
    1500 x 2000 - 540K
    edited April 2015

I agree Evil, that's what I've found as well. In most ways, poser-type content will work better in Carrara, but at least in terms of texture conversion, the Studio shaders convert much much better into Carrara shaders than the native Poser mats do. Not that there still isn't room for improvement of course; I will probably always end up tinkering with the shaders and saving my own Carrara-specific shaders, but in a pinch the Studio shaders was almost work as they are, whereas the poser shaders once applied will of course be ultra glossy and often greenish/gray (for the reasons you cited).

Also: the procedural skin shader you developed might in some ways be the best solution of all...

Post edited by Jonstark on
    edited December 1969

It did come out looking nice, didn't it? Here it is on Olympia 6. No Post.

Olympia_Gen2raw.jpg
    1500 x 2000 - 1M
    edited December 1969

head wax said:
    Tim A , ave a look at this work for ideas http://www.daz3d.com/the-all-new-worldbase-xt-lushlands
    For your environs, also http://www.daz3d.com/ecomantics-efficient-ecosystems
    Dimension theory has good brains

Placards may well be the way to go - they certainly look good at a distance, and they'd allow for more detail in the small scale stuff.

This discussion has been closed.