• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326
    edited December 1969

That's a neat idea Dart... clever, TY

- Don

My Pleasure! ;)
  • MarkBremmerMarkBremmer Posts: 190
    edited March 2015

pimpy said:
    Working with replicator in Carrara 8 Pro...
    Made with Carrara 8 Pro and Wings3d

- See more at: http://www.daz3d.com/gallery/#images/63123/

Ant-Z: Zombie ants on attack! Nice.

Post edited by MarkBremmer on
    edited December 1969

Working on building some grass. I think I need to dial back the brown tips a bit.

I don't know, the brown doesn't bother me. I'd vary the scale a little more and create some additional variations of the grass to include in the Replicator though.

I usually use multiple replicators for a single grassy area, each with about 4-5 variations in them. Having multiple replicators lets me create more organic clumping than just one does.

edited December 1969

1st image is the Byodo In render I got using fake GI. A bit over lit, but what a cool product. Byodo In is an entire park, and darn it I wanted to visit this place, for real.

Next best thing is to create a virtual travel photo, so...

2nd picture is me standing on a cardboard box :) with light coming over my right shoulder, then me standing in the park... camcorder in hand.

- Don

Nice. I'd un-soften your shadow a bit though. The shadow in the foreground from roof is sharper - and it's further away.

Most of my renders are places I'd prefer to be!

edited December 1969

1st image is the Byodo In render I got using fake GI. A bit over lit, but what a cool product. Byodo In is an entire park, and darn it I wanted to visit this place, for real.

2nd picture is me standing on a cardboard box :) with light coming over my right shoulder, then me standing in the park... camcorder in hand.

- Don

Nice. I'd un-soften your shadow a bit though. The shadow in the foreground from roof is sharper - and it's further away.

Most of my renders are places I'd prefer to be!Yeah... see the shadow in the real photo? Make your shadow of yourself that sharp in the render. All that aside... that is a cool composite, my friend! Love it!

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited December 1969

- Don

Agree 100%.

Mostly I was just testing to see how it looked in an outdoor scene with decent lighting. I do need to reduce the brown a bit as the plant it is based on would be very green still when the seed pod thingy is still green and pollenating. I wanted to just introduce a little brown at the very tip. Maybe I used a Global setting instead of Local or UV, because when I was building the shader, the brown didn't go as far down.

• DondecDondec Posts: 243
    edited December 1969

Yeah Evil... I was starting with the Lana Elite textures, which under my light rig (light hemisphere with replicated low intensity grey lights) came out way orange-red-pinkish. Rather than trying different skins, I tried to understand the problem. The mats themselves are overly orange (for my taste). The old Poser "color multiply" trick didn't cut it, but the Subtract did... or at least it was a heck of a lot better, so... perhaps worth mentioning?

- Don

The model must have put on a spray tan before the photographed her skin. ;-)

Hahah... Now that you mention it, I'm really starting to wonder if the original figure model photos (from which the maps were created) were taken under were taken under warmish-red light. Is it me or is there too much red-orange in some of these after market skins.

I can understand you want the product to look good, like Playboy photos or whatever, all heavily Photoshopped and beautiful and all, but that does make it a bit of a challenge to make "normal" looking people... something I found out trying to put V4 + motorcycle in my own photo.

- Don

• pimpypimpy Posts: 274
    edited December 1969

Hi Evil
    thanks and I think that's perfect for the old movie....

pimpy said:

Where's the RAID? ;-) Nice and creepy looking. Now all you need to do is scale them up for a classic take on an old movie from the '50s. I think it is called, Them!
    big_ant.JPG
    2000 x 1838 - 2M
  • DondecDondec Posts: 243
    edited March 2015

- Don

Yeah... see the shadow in the real photo? Make your shadow of yourself that sharp in the render. All that aside... that is a cool composite, my friend! Love it!

Thanks for the feedback. This was a particularly difficult piece because I accidentally chose to work with "back lighting". THat means I needed to burn out the sky to show detail in shadow areas, and I struggled to find a happy medium, adjusting back and forth between my photo and parts of the render to make that happen.

Haha, I have to laugh. My own shadow, nice and sharp on the cardboard box, I originally intended to use in the composite. But on an earlier version of this, shown only to my family, they complained "the shadow looks fake". :) Still I agree with your crits, and more over, I'm rather pleased - because that means the composite otherwise worked!

Thanks guys

- Don

Post edited by Dondec on
    edited December 1969

Hi Mark
    Ant-Z.... good title for a movie...

pimpy said:

zombie.jpg
    2000 x 1838 - 2M
    edited December 1969

pimpy said:
    Hi Mark

pimpy said:

I've always loved this one. The giant ant in the background is almost subliminal.

edited December 1969

Thank you!

pimpy said:
    Hi Mark

pimpy said:

I've always loved this one. The giant ant in the background is almost subliminal.

• scottidog2scottidog2 Posts: 319
    edited April 2015

No SSS
    Gamma 2.2

No Post work

NoSSS-2.2Gamma_.jpg
    1000 x 1200 - 69K
    Post edited by scottidog2 on
    edited April 2015

With SSS
    Gamma 2.2

No Post work

SSS-2.2Gamma_.jpg
    1000 x 1200 - 66K
    edited April 2015

Have had enough of Carrara.
    Moving over to Daz Studio for character renders.

edited December 1969

Well, aside from that little animated gif I did, this is my first real render of Genesis 1, where I clothed her and posed her (started from a canned pose). I did change the shaders to use the included Carrara native shaders.

I just did simple pin-up style render for this one.

I'm working on a more elaborate render involving Genesis 2, my Dells scene, significant shader work on clothing items, my procedural skin shader re-worked for Genesis 2, Carrara hair eyebrows, and a neat light effect. All coming soon- and not DAZ soon. ;-)

Space_Bunny.jpg
    1500 x 2000 - 337K
    edited April 2015

My latest. I wish I had thought to add more ground clutter in the background. I do like the scene and lighting.I think the atmosphere works.

The skin is based on the procedural shader I give away on ShareCG. I've been working on converting it to Genesis 2, which is what I used in the render. The eyebrows are dynamic hair, but not the eye lashes, I haven't figured out a way to hide the geometry so that I can work in the hair room.

Here's a link where I give a detailed explanation of the postwork I used to make the final image. Note that I did not do any color correcting or levels. Just what I described.
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/54406/P60/#797163

Warrior_sorceress.jpg
    2000 x 1333 - 2M
    Post edited by evilproducer on
    edited December 1969

Poor ep just isn't having any fun with his new C8.5/Genesis platform! ;)
    Now can we get together at your house and build you a new PC just for Carrara? Can we?

• MarkIsSleepyMarkIsSleepy Posts: 1,496
    edited December 1969

Two Carrara renders I made for the weekly PC Club contest and also submitted to the monthly one since it fits that theme too

The first image is my final render with post-work, the second is a closeup test render I did of just the LR Demonecornuto while I was adjusting the textures in Carrara. On the final I was going for a cinematic feel, on the monster materials I was aiming for a slimy, rubbery feel. I think I overdid the SSS a bit, you can see it's especially bad on the claws, but I think I totally nailed the teeth. I'm really happy with the M6's teeth in the first image too - I don't think I've ever gotten teeth looking that good before.

Mark

Demon-Only.jpg
    2000 x 1900 - 460K
    TerrorInZeroG_Final.jpg
    2000 x 1458 - 434K
    edited December 1969

Very nice! I do agree that the teeth on the M6 look great. I think they look pretty good on the monster in the second one as well. They fit the translucent, rubbery looking skin I think.

edited December 1969

My latest. I wish I had thought to add more ground clutter in the background. I do like the scene and lighting.I think the atmosphere works.

The skin is based on the procedural shader I give away on ShareCG. I've been working on converting it to Genesis 2, which is what I used in the render. The eyebrows are dynamic hair, but not the eye lashes, I haven't figured out a way to hide the geometry so that I can work in the hair room.

Here's a link where I give a detailed explanation of the postwork I used to make the final image. Note that I did not do any color correcting or levels. Just what I described.
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/54406/P60/#797163

Not to toot my own horn here, but I just have to say that I think that is some of the best leather looks I have been able to achieve. Yes it uses the included image maps, but I changed how they were used via mixing them up with various color gradients and stuff.

Oh yeah, I've re-done the Genesis 2 eyebrow hair. I think it will look better. I had it them to high on the forehead.

edited December 1969

I had a little time today (just now) to mess around, so I pulled out Genesis 2 Female and fixed up the beginnings of a new Rosie character. I'm glad that they can look so similar (compared to my V4 version) but I'm fairly certain that I'll stick with G2F. This is one of the urban-wear costumes I have for her so far. I still have a lot of work to do on the hero-wear clothing for her, which I'll just start from scratch and model myself, I think. Just not finding what I really want.

Rosie_G2F_4-5-15h.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 708K
    edited December 1969

Yeah, MDO... I agree that you've really nailed those teeth! I really like your work. Looks fantastic!
    Just be careful entering the same image into multiple contests as that can void the entry in most of them ;)
    Evil, you're doing some great renders there! What a blast!

edited December 1969

Here's a test of the procedural skin shader, dynamic eyebrows and eyelashes on Genesis 2. I used a base character and the Olympia character with the same shader and hair.

I do notice that do to the slightly different UVs on Olympia the top of the lip has a hard transition, but the bottom of the lip is a soft transition. I can't show it here of course, but the nipple domain retained the soft edges all the way around. The difference between the texture maps and the procedural shader, is that the texture maps display the seams because they are un-textured outside of their UV template, whereas the base procedural skin shader is applied globally to the figure. If the UVs get displaced, it doesn't matter except in those two small areas I created the distribution maps, and even the base skin shader fills in.

The other problem area was the eyelashes. I created them on the base Genesis 6 Female, and used Custom to place the guides. When I applied the lashes to Olympia, the hair grow region was still there, but the guides were not. I think I solved this by choosing to have the guides at the center of the polygons, although I suspect they may need to be brushed if applied to a different Genesis 2 variant.

I'm currently rendering a test using SSS. In the meantime, here's a test of the skin on a V6 base character, and a V6 Olympia morph, with different UVs.

The post work involved adding the background and DOF, plus a shadow pass to soften a couple hard shadows. No levels or color correction.

Skin_and_hair_promo-no_GI.jpg
    1500 x 2000 - 1M
    edited December 1969

I had a little time today (just now) to mess around, so I pulled out Genesis 2 Female and fixed up the beginnings of a new Rosie character. I'm glad that they can look so similar (compared to my V4 version) but I'm fairly certain that I'll stick with G2F. This is one of the urban-wear costumes I have for her so far. I still have a lot of work to do on the hero-wear clothing for her, which I'll just start from scratch and model myself, I think. Just not finding what I really want.

You've done a great job with matching the look of your V4 Rosie. Very impressive.

I agree those clothes don't look that great. Maybe it is the textures? I'm finding that Carrara interprets the Studio shaders okay, but still has issues just as it had with Poser materials. The difference is that it mis-translates in completely new ways.

My findings are that Carrara interprets many shader channels as needing a multiplier, such as the Alpha channel, Bump, and Highlight. I also notice Carrara defaults to Fast Mip-Map, which I think doesn't look as good as Sample. I make a point to switch those BTW. The other thing I noticed with the included content is that even though the textures are a stupid-high resolution, Carrara defaults to interpolation to display them. Interpolation kind of softens the image map to hide the jaggies that low resolution maps tend to get when applied to an object. A high resolution map shouldn't need it enabled, and if it is, it could cause a loss of sharpness or relief, such as in the Bump channel.

• MarkIsSleepyMarkIsSleepy Posts: 1,496
    edited April 2015

The other thing I noticed with the included content is that even though the textures are a stupid-high resolution, Carrara defaults to interpolation to display them. Interpolation kind of softens the image map to hide the jaggies that low resolution maps tend to get when applied to an object. A high resolution map shouldn't need it enabled, and if it is, it could cause a loss of sharpness or relief, such as in the Bump channel.

Is interpolation here the same as the Interpolation checkbox in the render settings? Would un-checking that lead to sharper looking textures when using hi-res image maps, or is it something completely unrelated that just happens to have the same name? I know there is also an Interpolation box in the shader itself when you use an image map, but I was just thinking today about setting I never change and that box in the render settings is one of them. :)

Post edited by MarkIsSleepy on
    edited December 1969

...and a quick shot before bed. Just threw some of my new stuff in

Rosie_Madness_USA.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 537K
    edited December 1969

MDO2010 said:
    The other thing I noticed with the included content is that even though the textures are a stupid-high resolution, Carrara defaults to interpolation to display them. Interpolation kind of softens the image map to hide the jaggies that low resolution maps tend to get when applied to an object. A high resolution map shouldn't need it enabled, and if it is, it could cause a loss of sharpness or relief, such as in the Bump channel.

Is interpolation here the same as the Interpolation checkbox in the render settings? Would un-checking that lead to sharper looking textures when using hi-res image maps, or is it something completely unrelated that just happens to have the same name?

Interpolation in the render room has to do with softening GI artifacts, sometimes called ashing. It's the blotchiness that can occur in dark areas if the accuracy or photon counts aren't high enough. There are also probably more technical and accurate descriptions of interpolation, and how it is used in shaders and GI, so consider what I said as the extreme crib-notes version. ;-)

edited December 1969

...and a quick shot before bed. Just threw some of my new stuff in

Cool perspective, and nice atmosphere!

edited December 1969

Here's the same two Genesis figures as in my last post with the procedural skin shaders and dynamic hair eyelashes. This one uses SSS in te shaders. To get the full effect I need to render with GI and these aren't.

I also added translucency to the dress textures, as well as a refraction, 2% or 3% transparency, and a 5% Fresnel effect. I wanted to see how a very subtle Fresnel effect effected the appearance of the "cloth." I think the look s nice, especially on the red dress, but it wasn't worth the extra amount of render time.

Postwork was the same for both images.

Skin_and_hair_test_SSS.jpg
    1500 x 2000 - 1M
This discussion has been closed.