Post Your Renders - Happy New Year yall

Comments

• de3ande3an Posts: 915

Something different. Two Carrara renders combined with Photoshop.

Comments welcome.

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125

Hubba, hubba.  yes

de3an said:

Comments welcome.

• magaremotomagaremoto Posts: 1,226

hello de3an, looks very promising yes

I'd rather try to tweak the tonal width and radius on the AO layer if you want to achieve an aquerelo effect but you may lose the 3d effect; it depends on what you want to obtain

about the miss..she makes blush blush laugh

sponza atrium here at 6k res

sponza fake IL.jpg
    6000 x 4595 - 3M

hello de3an, looks very promising yes

I'd rather try to tweak the tonal width and radius on the AO layer if you want to achieve an aquerelo effect but you may lose the 3d effect; it depends on what you want to obtain

Thanks magaremoto.

I was trying for a hand drawn, pencil sketch look with some shading on the contours, rather than a watercolor effect. I used the "AO only" setting with only Ambient lighting. It took quite a bit of experimenting before I found settings that I liked.

Nice lighting on your render!
    The carpets could use some smoothing though. Such a high resolution exposes their polygons.

you are right de3an about smoothing, in my multiple tests I've found only houdini import correctly sponza without adjustments

about lighting, this diffuse lighting + tonal shading is quite hard to get briefly in unbiased renderers by tweaking exposure, ray depth, filters or materials and more

my render needs corrections in post but it's a good starting point imo

here a quick test with Emily

Doc2a.jpg
    2400 x 1838 - 1M
  • bighbigh Posts: 8,147

this was home world

• mindsongmindsong Posts: 1,701
    de3an said:

Comments welcome.

brilliant image! I love the style/result!

bravo!

ms

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,964
    edited April 2016
    de3an said:

Comments welcome.

de3an nice work , great to see people taking this approach,

margaramoto your heads are getting better and better

bligh that's pretty good for a bryce user ;) heh, but seriously great work, i feel cold

Post edited by Headwax on
  • LotharenLotharen Posts: 282
    de3an said:

Comments welcome.

This is really cool. How did you achieve that effect?

thanks head wax, our is a continuous improvement

for coherence laugh this test shows a microdisplacement on Emily by using the provided map: subtle but pretty noticeable difference

to anyone interested to this beautiful head scan this is the .car file http://iqu.ca/1/?42A6684039F3

below the results with and without displacement

17.jpg
    5000 x 6000 - 2M
    18.jpg
    5000 x 6000 - 2M
  • DUDUDUDU Posts: 1,945

Thanks Magaremoto, 216Mo on my computer, she must be very nice !

DE2AN, really cool and interresting render, what's the process ?

mindsong said:

brilliant image! I love the style/result!

bravo!

ms

Thanks! I found the style difficult to achieve.

head wax said:

de3an nice work , great to see people taking this approach,

Thanks Andrew. I saw some similar work recently and thought I'd give it a try.

Lotharen said:

This is really cool. How did you achieve that effect?

DUDU said:

DE2AN, really cool and interresting render, what's the process ?

Well, I was afraid someone was going to ask that. frownwink

I tried lots of settings before I found some that gave me the results I was looking for. It doesn't always produce good results with all subject matter. The best I can do is list the settings that produced this particular result. You could use them as a starting point for your own experiments.

The character is the original Poser version of “the Girl”.
    Replace all shaders (except the eyes) with almost-black.
    Make two renders; Photorealistic, and NPR.

Photorealistic settings:
    Remove the default light.
    Set scene Ambient light to 450%
    Set background color to white.
    Set Indirect Light to 142%
    Set Occlusion Radius to 20ft.

NPR settings:
    Choose only “Outline”.
    Thickness=10%
    Length=208%

Combine the two renders in Photoshop layers with the Multiply option.

See the attached settings images:

Shader settings.png
    652 x 459 - 98K
    Ambient-Background settings.png
    238 x 167 - 20K
    GI settings.png
    235 x 286 - 35K
    NPR settings.png
    238 x 286 - 33K
  • HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,964

thanks for explaining that process, it's very kind of you

• Finally got some free time to render something ...

MakeHuman female model, everything else modeled in Silo.

Post work done in Fusion smiley

RedHot.jpg
    1555 x 808 - 462K
    edited April 2016

you're welcome dudu, If I recall correctly I have a 11 Gb .car file somewhere inside my server

wip - test on reflections and sss with IBL only, touched up in post

hdr1.jpg
    3600 x 2010 - 3M
    Post edited by magaremoto on
    edited April 2016

micro reflections on skin with HDR lighting only,  I exaggerated the micro displacement

no postwork

EMILY.jpg
    2400 x 2729 - 698K
    edited April 2016

another try to test hdr; no displacement, bump map only

258.jpg
    1200 x 1365 - 238K

wip test on high resolution (6K) with hdr lighting only

hdr 2.jpg
    6000 x 5515 - 4M
  • FifthElementFifthElement Posts: 569

Something retro, lol.

Everything modeled by me, postwork done in Fusion smiley

Invaders.jpg
    640 x 910 - 257K
  • bighbigh Posts: 8,147

Something retro, lol.

good one !

skin test: translucency + absorption + sss; hdr lighting only

lilith.jpg
    4000 x 3677 - 6M
    bigh said:

Something retro, lol.

good one !

Thanks, I appreciate it, I always wanted to model old arcade machine, takes me back to time when I was a teen...

Btw, this model is available (no textures) as download for ya all on my Google Drive (File: ArcadeMachine.zip) if anybody wants it , cheers smiley

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050

skin test: translucency + absorption + sss; hdr lighting only

Pretty grainy looking skin. What quality are you using for the render settings?

Also, if you don't wish to see the hdr background, you can put something in the scene's backdrop. Even a simple color may help with the look. You'll still get the benefits of the hdr, and it will be what is reflected in reflective surfaces.

Two skin tests.

Both use the same method to "fake" SSS.

The image with the blue eyes is a mostly procedural set of shaders. The fake SSS is created by multiplying a couple maps together that came with the Reby Sky Elite textures in the Glow channel. One map is color and has EC at the end of the name, and the other is greyscale and has ES at the end of the name. So for instance, the image map for the face would be called, V4RebyFaceEC.jpg for the color map, and V4RebyFaceES.jpg for the greyscale map. I'm not sure what EC and ES stand for, but I assume the maps are used to define SSS in Poser or D|S. All other shaders are procedural, with two distribution maps to soften the edges between the lip/face shading domains and the nipples/torso domains.

The blue eyed figure uses dynamic hair eyelashes and dynamic hair eyebrows. The green eyed model uses only dynamic hair eyelashes. The eyebrows are part of the image maps.

The image with the green eyes uses the Carrara Reby Sky Elite textures- So image map based. I have made my own tweaks to the various shaders within the set to suit my tastes. I also used the same method I described above to create the fake SSS, by multiplying the two maps in the Glow channel.

Skin Test fake SSS Portrait.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 591K
    Portrait skin test-maps.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 560K

many good hints EP, thank you smiley

I tweaked roughness,shininess and reflection here and changed the hdr map

lilith6.jpg
    1000 x 2600 - 300K

many good hints EP, thank you smiley

I tweaked roughness,shininess and reflection here and changed the hdr map

That one looks great!

Just a quick translucency test in Carrara (Instance Randomizer plugin used) smiley

Origami.jpg
    1280 x 600 - 395K

I find your models very realistic indeed EP;  there's something indefinitely unconvincing in the mouth of the blue eyed one, maybe the color, but all the rest is pretty perfect.

About my  Lilith 6, generally speaking I can't get a realistic outcome with daz models in carrara, many times meshes are uncorrect (iris too big, shoulders unrealistic, eyes and eyelashes badly shaped etc) very often the maps have unrealistic color nuance or are uneffective or even useless in carrara especially on the face or arms. On the contrary in daz studio you can tweak almost nothing to get a realistic result. My hope is that daz guys work harder for their figures within carrara

I find your models very realistic indeed EP;  there's something indefinitely unconvincing in the mouth of the blue eyed one, maybe the color, but all the rest is pretty perfect.

About my  Lilith 6, generally speaking I can't get a realistic outcome with daz models in carrara, many times meshes are uncorrect (iris too big, shoulders unrealistic, eyes and eyelashes badly shaped etc) very often the maps have unrealistic color nuance or are uneffective or even useless in carrara especially on the face or arms. On the contrary in daz studio you can tweak almost nothing to get a realistic result. My hope is that daz guys work harder for their figures within carrara

I agree about the mouth. The lips are procedural and use several different functions layered together. There is also a greyscale distribution map to soften the transition between the more red lips and more "flesh" colored skin. I notice the border quite a bit in that area despite the map. So there's the border and also my attempt to get the lip texture right, which isn't right. ;-) The other issue with the border between the lips and face domain is the faked SSS. I used the image maps I mentioned in a post above in the Glow channel, and their lip border most likely doesn't align with mine, thus creating a bit of an overlay.

For the eyes, I usually dial down the iris size. I also use Endless Eyes for Carrara, which was a freebie/tutorial by indigone, as a base for my eyes. The eye shaders are mostly procedural with black and white masks. Additionally I make tweaks that he/she didn't, such as making the iris concave and making the cornea bulge more. I also add a color in the Highlight channel. If the eye is green, I add a greenish color, and then in the Shininess channel I set a 1-100 numeric slider to 4 or 5. If the effect is too bright, I darken the color in the Highlight.

I also turn down the reflections on the cornea to around 3% or 4%, add a 1-10000 slider in the Highlight channel and set it to around 150% to 200%. I add a 1-100 slider to the Shininess and set it to 20 to 25.

If the eyes don't pop the way I want, I will sometimes add a glow to the whites and the iris. If that doesn't help them pop out, I'll force a point reflection/highlight by placing a shape light (shape depends on desired effect) or glowing sphere behind the camera.

This discussion has been closed.