AI is going to be our biggest game changer

Comments

• MasterstrokeMasterstroke Posts: 1,803
    edited July 2022

I see a future for AI as a game changer more in the way joint bendings and muscle movements are processes.
    The AI could learn how human and animal tissues but also clothes, fur and hair are moving with a scelleton and give finally more realistic results availeble to a consumer market.
    Just imagine DAZ figures move naturally with AI supported clothes and Hair simulations without the risks of exploding cloths because of intersecting meshes.

Post edited by Masterstroke on
  • BandoriFanBandoriFan Posts: 364

maikdecker said:

TheMysteryIsThePoint said:

Ever single generation has it's luddites that resist the inevitable and inexorable forward march of technology and don't realize that they are now their grandparents. And the result has always been the same: some will be a part of this future and some will not.

Yeah, every generation has it's share of people who welcome each and every new technology and ignore the negative aspects for society, humankind and, sometimes, the whole planet. Like plastic... omg, how could we ever live without it... took a while to notice the shipload of problems this material produces in the end, but hey, that's the march of technology - some things are bound to get trampled by it.

And yes, I've come quite a bit like my grandparents. And I have to admit, that I'm glad about it. Most people become like their grandparents later in their lives, when they notice that not everything "old" isn't automatically bad, and not everything "new" is automatically good.

And there's quite a few possible futures that I am glad to not to be a part of. For these, I dearly hope that "possible" does not automatically means "unavoidable" for some of them.

Guess who will better express their creativity when you will either get concept are for virtually free and in minutes, or at $450 and in weeks.

Probably those persons, who have some creativity in their genes? Without the spark needed to start the flame called art, nothing given to someone will kindle the flame, no matter how much money they invest or how many technical help they get...

I'm not an artist... I only do pictures and stories.

It's why I think flying cars would actually be bad. It wouldn't be today but people rich enough can drive flying cars but they would redesign entire cities assuming people will have one and you know they won't be cheap 

• maikdeckermaikdecker Posts: 2,750

BandoriFan said:

maikdecker said:

Ever single generation has it's luddites that resist the inevitable and inexorable forward march of technology and don't realize that they are now their grandparents. And the result has always been the same: some will be a part of this future and some will not.

Yeah, every generation has it's share of people who welcome each and every new technology and ignore the negative aspects for society, humankind and, sometimes, the whole planet. Like plastic... omg, how could we ever live without it... took a while to notice the shipload of problems this material produces in the end, but hey, that's the march of technology - some things are bound to get trampled by it.

And yes, I've come quite a bit like my grandparents. And I have to admit, that I'm glad about it. Most people become like their grandparents later in their lives, when they notice that not everything "old" isn't automatically bad, and not everything "new" is automatically good.

And there's quite a few possible futures that I am glad to not to be a part of. For these, I dearly hope that "possible" does not automatically means "unavoidable" for some of them.

Guess who will better express their creativity when you will either get concept are for virtually free and in minutes, or at $450 and in weeks.

Probably those persons, who have some creativity in their genes? Without the spark needed to start the flame called art, nothing given to someone will kindle the flame, no matter how much money they invest or how many technical help they get...

It's why I think flying cars would actually be bad. It wouldn't be today but people rich enough can drive flying cars but they would redesign entire cities assuming people will have one and you know they won't be cheap 

Just check Flying Cars on Wikipedia and you'll notice that a version for day2day life is about as far away from us as real AI. And there are a pure fringe product/idea like Amazon using drones to deliver their wares...

• cherpenbeckcherpenbeck Posts: 1,409

Besides, if everybody has flying cars, the real luxury would be to be able to walk towards your destination.

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,929

Around here even traditional luddites like the Mennonites can be seen judiciously shopping occasionally in Walmart to make their lives easier and more enjoyable. 

• MKDAWUSSMKDAWUSS Posts: 91

NylonGirl said:

I was at a McDonald's drivethrough a couple of days ago and I'm certain a robot took the order. It spoke like Alexa and Siri, and things I ordered would display on the screen almost right after I said them. The only flaw was the machine could not understand "fish sandwich". You have to say "filet-o-fish". Aside from that, it was less stressful than talking to their human employees.

Bonus points would have been if there was a visual avatar. Which some of us may or may not wish to have in our collections... lol

• Masterstroke said:

I see a future for AI as a game changer more in the way joint bendings and muscle movements are processes.
    The AI could learn how human and animal tissues but also clothes, fur and hair are moving with a scelleton and give finally more realistic results availeble to a consumer market.
    Just imagine DAZ figures move naturally with AI supported clothes and Hair simulations without the risks of exploding cloths because of intersecting meshes.

I'd like to see these kinds of developments as well.  However, absolutely no artificial intelligence is required for these.  These problems could be more easily addressed with better programming by human developers working with "unintelligent" systems.

More sophisticated programming does not equal 'artificial intelligence'.  As a term, AI is getting thrown around to mystify both consumers and investors by implying that some sort of technological equivalent of magic is just around the corner.

Imagine that at some point early in the twentieth century, someone invented a steam-powered machine where a person could walk up, stick a coin in the slot, pick from a series of named items from a list (large but finite), and the machine would glue small pictures of the items selected onto a piece of cardboard, making a kind of collage which it dispenses.  The machine is entirely mechanical, no digital components, just mechanical switches, pulleys, belts, etc.  The resulting collage might be bad or good, but the machine isn't intelligent.  If we replace the mechanical components with digital/electronic components, and replace our cardboard-and-glue collage with a digital image (in whatever format) as the output, how would that digital machine be more intelligent?  

• Masterstroke said:

Exactly! I can't wait for the very things that you cited.

And I will never understand why some people feel that AI is going to destroy art and creativity when a program like DAZ Studio had no other effect than to increase the number of creative minds that can now produce art like those endowed with the talent to do so. I am 100% sure that id it were not for DAZ Studio, specifically, I would not have the means to be engaged in 3D.

• maikdecker said:

I think you are overlooking the combination of those people who have some creativity in their genes as well as access to AI. That's the trend throughout time immemorial. Technology frees the individual from certain tasks and frees him to apply his creativity to the purely creative tasks. I don't believe any of us could deny that, and then fire up Daz Studio. What AI is going to do is a difference in degree only.

rcourtri_789f4b1c6b said:

Imagine that at some point early in the twentieth century, someone invented a steam-powered machine where a person could walk up, stick a coin in the slot, pick from a series of named items from a list (large but finite), and the machine would glue small pictures of the items selected onto a piece of cardboard, making a kind of collage which it dispenses.  The machine is entirely mechanical, no digital components, just mechanical switches, pulleys, belts, etc.  The resulting collage might be bad or good, but the machine isn't intelligent.  If we replace the mechanical components with digital/electronic components, and replace our cardboard-and-glue collage with a digital image (in whatever format) as the output, how would that digital machine be more intelligent? 

You can go back even further... Just check for Heron of Alexandria's inventions to, lo and behold, see automatically opening temple doors, a vending machine giving the customer a portion of holy water after inserting a coin in a slot and some more... for the Greeks/Egyptians of that time, these things must have looked like magic (or artificial intelligence, as in "how do the doors know to open exactly now???").

In 1962, in his book “Profiles of the Future: An Inquiry into the Limits of the Possible”, science fiction writer Arthur C. Clarke formulated his famous Three Laws, of which the third law is the best-known and most widely cited: “Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic” which explains a lot about the impression that current (not even real) AI makes on us. For the real discussion about AI can start, as soon some AI has managed to get through all the different "AI tests" (Turing, Lovelace etc.) with a 100% result. Might take a while, I think?!?

I think you are overlooking the combination of those people who have some creativity in their genes
    as well as access to AI. That's the trend throughout time immemorial. Technology frees the individual from certain tasks and frees him to apply his creativity to the purely creative tasks. I don't believe any of us could deny that, and then fire up Daz Studio. What AI is going to do is a difference in degree only.

Backpedalling already? Wasn't it You who was stating that AI will be able to do creative Art itself?

In this new argument I again only see some advanced algorithm being used as a tool for the human's creative process.

• maikdecker said:

You can go back even further... Just check for
    Heron of Alexandria's inventions to, lo and behold, see automatically opening temple doors, a vending machine giving the customer a portion of holy water after inserting a coin in a slot and some more... for the Greeks/Egyptians of that time, these things must have looked like magic (or artificial intelligence, as in "how do the doors know to open exactly now???").

In 1962, in his book “Profiles of the Future: An Inquiry into the Limits of the Possible”, science fiction writer Arthur C. Clarke formulated his famous Three Laws, of which the third law is the best-known and most widely cited: “Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic” which explains a lot about the impression that current (not even real) AI makes on us. For the real discussion about AI can start, as soon some AI has managed to get through all the different "AI tests" (Turing, Lovelace etc.) with a 100% result. Might take a while, I think?!?

I think you are overlooking the combination of those people who have some creativity in their genes
    as well as access to AI. That's the trend throughout time immemorial. Technology frees the individual from certain tasks and frees him to apply his creativity to the purely creative tasks. I don't believe any of us could deny that, and then fire up Daz Studio. What AI is going to do is a difference in degree only.

Backpedalling already? Wasn't it You who was stating that AI will be able to do creative Art itself?

Not at all, as that is not a contradiction; I think you may arguing by Appealing to Extremes. It will be no different from the way artists are influenced by prior art. The Lord of the Rings has influenced just about every single fantasy work that came after it, yet none of them are Lord of the Rings, and all of them have their creators' earmarks. Even if LOTR had been written by AI, art-directed by me, I would still have had different ideas, used it for inspiration, and ultimately arrived at something else.

There is no distinction between AI doing the rote and the creative; both free me to promote my creativity. For example, if a character has to be in a certain situation at the beginning of the story because that's how my creativity has deemed it, it would sure be nice if there were an AI that could invent a consistent back story the details of which are not important to me, but must be consistent with what is important to me. That is really no different from setting two key frames and having Blender interpolate between them: I have other things I would rather be thinking about.

In this new argument I again only see some advanced algorithm being used as a tool for the human's creative process.

Me too, without backpedalling: Because of the nature of creativity, that will never not be the case. But granted, I think Human creativity is about to go off in some never before seen avenues because of this.

maikdecker said:

You can go back even further... Just check for
    Heron of Alexandria's inventions to, lo and behold, see automatically opening temple doors, a vending machine giving the customer a portion of holy water after inserting a coin in a slot and some more... for the Greeks/Egyptians of that time, these things must have looked like magic (or artificial intelligence, as in "how do the doors know to open exactly now???").

Not at all, as that is not a contradiction; I think you may arguing by Appealing to Extremes. It will be no different from the way artists are influenced by prior art. The Lord of the Rings has influenced just about every single fantasy work that came after it, yet none of them are Lord of the Rings, and all of them have their creators' earmarks. Even if LOTR had been written by AI, art-directed by me, I would still have had different ideas, used it for inspiration, and ultimately arrived at something else.

There is no distinction between AI doing the rote and the creative; both free me to promote my creativity. For example, if a character has to be in a certain situation at the beginning of the story because that's how my creativity has deemed it, it would sure be nice if there were an AI that could invent a consistent back story the details of which are not important to me, but must be consistent with what is important to me. That is really no different from setting two key frames and having Blender interpolate between them: I have other things I would rather be thinking about.

Me too, without backpedalling: Because of the nature of creativity, that will never not be the case. But granted, I think Human creativity is about to go off in some never before seen avenues because of this.

You should go for a job in the Hollywood movie industry. I think your way of thinking would fit in there just fine. smiley

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,824

they make good prop textures

WendyLuvsCatz said:

Holey maccaroni... that thing looks as if it should be positioned behind some weird, dark altar...

• WendyLuvsCatz said:

Wow. Did you make that, Wendy? If not, do you know what the prompting text was? Like "Make me have a nightmare"?

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,169

WendyLuvsCatz said:

Wow. Did you make that, Wendy? If not, do you know what the prompting text was? Like "Make me have a nightmare"?

I can only assume that it included "Giger".

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,824
    edited July 2022

necronomicon

one word but I did a few rolls and upscales to get that from these

I cannot even tell which one I upscaled as the details change

anyway main cover Materialise PBR maps in Freebie section and some inner pages to use in a book, UV fitting up to user

tile and offset in DAZ should work for most books

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/7616161/#Comment_7616161

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • Kaleb242Kaleb242 Posts: 344

Have you seen DALL·E 2 yet?
    https://openai.com/dall-e-2/

"DALL·E 2 is a new AI system that can create realistic images and art from a description in natural language."

• AgitatedRiotAgitatedRiot Posts: 4,233
    edited July 2022
    Opppps
    Post edited by AgitatedRiot on

Gordig said:

WendyLuvsCatz said:

it at least took a lot of "inspiration" of Giger's "Necronomicon" pictures that can be found on the internet

So as this "AI" quite clearly uses internet sources for it's "art", can we be sure that the results are always free of any copyrights that other people might hold? Or should I imagine lawyers all over their hands excitently while thinking about all the money they might make from this?!?

WendyLuvsCatz said:

Woah that's really cool! 

edited July 2022

I do Wombo and most of the results are disappointing but sometimes it thinks of something good

The reference I gave

I wanted some space opera inspired elements with a Steampunk aesthetic but it's still nice 

The next is more like a mannequin than a robot but I like the dress 

Dream_TradingCard - 2022-07-30T073145.790.jpg
    1080 x 1920 - 233K
    Post edited by BandoriFan on
  • MasterstrokeMasterstroke Posts: 1,803
    edited July 2022

Masterstroke said:

Exactly! I can't wait for the very things that you cited.

And I will never understand why some people feel that AI is going to destroy art and creativity when a program like DAZ Studio had no other effect than to increase the number of creative minds that can now produce art like those endowed with the talent to do so. I am 100% sure that id it were not for DAZ Studio, specifically, I would not have the means to be engaged in 3D.

I think of AI here as a system learning how human skin is moving over skelleton muscle tissue.
    Just like Deep Fake is learning, what an individual human face looks like.
    I was thinking about a base biped tool, similar to what 3ds max used to have, but it should bring all the AI tools, in order to deform the character's mesh in a natural way including physiks.
    You should be able then to add its parameters, like sex, weight, bone-muscle-fat percentages and some joint gizmos in order to fit it inside your character.

Post edited by Masterstroke on

Masterstroke said:

I think of AI here as a system learning how human skin is moving over skelleton muscle tissue.

Probably my biggest problem with all this discussion is, that most of described here doesn't really fit the name "AI", because it's just a "trained/learning algorithm", that still only does what it's told and what it's code allows it to do. So, quite artificial, but lacking in intelligence and most of all lacking consciousness/awareness. Y'know, the good old "I think, therefore I am"

• Gordig said:

WendyLuvsCatz said:

Thanks, Wendy and Gordig, my familiarity with H.R. Giger did not go past the organic-looking stuff a la the Alien movie. I thought that that was all there was. His other styles are quite interesting to look at as well, and some of them look like the were generated by AI as well; maybe the AI is better at copying his style than it gets credit for :)

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,479

maikdecker said:

Masterstroke said:

Probably my biggest problem with all this discussion is, that most of described here doesn't really fit the name "AI", because it's just a "trained/learning algorithm", that still only does what it's told and what it's code allows it to do. So, quite artificial, but lacking in intelligence and most of all lacking consciousness/awareness. Y'know, the good old "I think, therefore I am"

My thoughts exactly...

A couple of weeks ago, my (young) boss sent me a link to a program meant for scheduling the different tasks in manufacturing process and he was thrilled to see what the advertised "AI" could do... First I went and banged my head to a concrete wall for a while, before answering... There is no AI there...

• CybersoxCybersox Posts: 8,762

FSMCDesigns said:

What's AI?

Artificial Intelligence, and honestly I can't see much benfit for it in DS

Are you kidding?  Besides things like random character generation with unique morphs and textures, the possibilities for AI guided weight mapping and collisions are incredible.  At Comic Con Brian Habberlin (co creator of Anomoly and WItchblade, and who prompted the development of Poser's toon outline mode in conjunction with Smith-MIcro) demonstrated a hybrid of Pokemon and Garbage Pail kids that was knocked out in minutes yet looked every bit as solid as something a concept artist or 3D sculptor would have taken hours or days creating.    

• maikdecker said:

Masterstroke said:

Yes, of course it's and algorithm and there deterministic as all computers must be, but the relationship between the input and the output is so complex that it cannot be recovered, i.e. neural nets are opaque and, given the output, it is not feasible to determine the neural net's reasoning. This is precisely what caused Neural Nets to fall out of favor in the '60s in what is referred to as the Aritificial Intelligence Winter, in favor of expert systems and other rule based systems: these are the algorithmic systems with the qualities you a mistakenly attributing to neural nets.  If this opacity was true at that time with neural nets that you could draw out on a napkin, imagine how inscrutable a Deep Learning Neural Net would be that has millions of features. That is the part you are missing. Is an algorithm that you did not explicitly create, and have no possibility of recovering or understanding, really an algorithm at all? If it is, then probably everything is an algorithm and your critique loses its power because it is now a universal truth that doesn't distinguish any one thing from any other.

Neural Nets are different. Applying what you may know about von Neumann computers to them is simply not valid, and I think it is blinding people against how profoundly they're going to change things; people think that they are just a better or faster algorithm just like the kind we've had since the 1940s.

Given that scientists from biologists to phycisists to philosophers can't tell you where conciousness comes from, I'd ease up on the assertions that it is not conscious. I'm not sure why neurons made out of goop ( a better, technical term, Richard? :) ) would gain the title of conscious, but a system that models them would not at least gain the title of "virtual consciousness". If you can't even model what a quality is in detail suitable for scientific inquiry, it should be impossible for lay people like us to assert if arbitrary objects (themselves already beyond our ability to reason about) possess that thing (that is also already beyond our ability to reason about) or not.

This discussion has been closed.