Daz Studio Pro BETA - version 4.15.0.30! (*UPDATED*)

Comments

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,620

...dual machines is not an option as I still need to download content, plugins, & such.  Not sure if the IM even works in Linux, though I could manually DL the zips and move them to the W7 VM to install with the IM in offline mode (the only trouble with that is I wouldn't get any beta releases)

Using the chipset graphics for the displays generally is sub par in performance and won't allow use of Iray view mode which I find very helpful and more workflow efficient particularly when dealing with lighting/tone mapping adjustments instead of having to run multiple individual test renders. 

The only option is continuing to rely on the expensive AV (that includes VPN) I am using (about 140$ a year) and just sticking with W7 Pro as I've had zero issues for the last year and nine months since the OS reached EOL.

W11 sounds even more like a "fluff fest" compared to 10 and would require pretty much building a new system due to the CPU and TPM2 requirements, and according to Direct X Diagnostic Tool, a new GPU, as the Titan-X only supports DirectX11 and WDDM 1.1 while W11 requires Direct X 12 and a minimum of WDDM 2.0.   At the current inflated card prices, not going to happen.

• jbowlerjbowler Posts: 745

kyoto kid said:

Using the chipset graphics for the displays generally is sub par in performance and won't allow use of Iray view mode which I find very helpful and more workflow efficient particularly when dealing with lighting/tone mapping adjustments instead of having to run multiple individual test renders. 

Iray preview works fine with a non-NVidia display driver; you just need an Iray capable graphics card, it doesn't have to be connected to the display.  I have one monitor connected to the Intel UHD Graphics 630, it's a 4k portrait (DELL) monitor.  The Titan XP gets used for dForce (forcing me to not use TCC mode, since dForce uses OpenGL and TCC mode doesn't support OpenGL).  The 630 OpenGL performance is insufficient for dForce; I just couldn't get stuff done waiting for it.  The XP also gets used for renders (of course) which are typically 4k too.  On complex scenes there isn't enough memory on the XP for the full frame buffer and it gets sent back to the system DRAM; this doesn't seem to have a particularly bad effect on render time.

The XP is used for preview too; previews aren't directly to the screen because the calculations are linear; so far as I know Iray doesn't even attempt to support encoded (24-bit) pixels because, although the perf isn't necessarily that bad, the accuracy sucks to the point of total absence.  24-bit RGB only manages something like 3EV of accuracy at maybe +/-2%, which is ok for most final tone-mapped images but can't be used for intermediate calculations, or (IMO) images.

The net result is that the Iray preview takes pretty much the same amount of time regardless of where the display is.  I use the preview for adjusting lighting; I typically work light-by-light at EV0 with tone-mapping disabled because then I can actually see what individual lights do (or, most of the time, don't do).  I also use the preview for expressions; texture mapped expressions do not work for some reason.  Filament seemed like it might help but even if I spend the time fixing "Filament Draw Options" to get Filament and Iray to match up the expressions are still different enough for me not to be able to get them right.  For this latter case I might have to put up with lower perf; I've never connected a display to the XP so I don't know if it can redraw in real time; when I use it for expressions or in the rare cases I pan the scene while setting up lights I have a delay of a second or so during which I get smooth-shaded while the first pass of the Iray preview is prepared.  Bear in mind that this is on a landscape 4k full screen so this is a preview with is 2k portrait - about 1080x1920 in practice.

• jbowler said:

kyoto kid said:

Iray preview works fine with a non-NVidia display driver; you just need an Iray capable graphics card, it doesn't have to be connected to the display.  I have one monitor connected to the Intel UHD Graphics 630, it's a 4k portrait (DELL) monitor.  The Titan XP gets used for dForce (forcing me to not use TCC mode, since dForce uses OpenGL and TCC mode doesn't support OpenGL).  The 630 OpenGL performance is insufficient for dForce; I just couldn't get stuff done waiting for it.  The XP also gets used for renders (of course) which are typically 4k too.  On complex scenes there isn't enough memory on the XP for the full frame buffer and it gets sent back to the system DRAM; this doesn't seem to have a particularly bad effect on render time.

The XP is used for preview too; previews aren't directly to the screen because the calculations are linear; so far as I know Iray doesn't even attempt to support encoded (24-bit) pixels because, although the perf isn't necessarily that bad, the accuracy sucks to the point of total absence.  24-bit RGB only manages something like 3EV of accuracy at maybe +/-2%, which is ok for most final tone-mapped images but can't be used for intermediate calculations, or (IMO) images.

The net result is that the Iray preview takes pretty much the same amount of time regardless of where the display is.  I use the preview for adjusting lighting; I typically work light-by-light at EV0 with tone-mapping disabled because then I can actually see what individual lights do (or, most of the time, don't do).  I also use the preview for expressions; texture mapped expressions do not work for some reason.  Filament seemed like it might help but even if I spend the time fixing "Filament Draw Options" to get Filament and Iray to match up the expressions are still different enough for me not to be able to get them right.  For this latter case I might have to put up with lower perf; I've never connected a display to the XP so I don't know if it can redraw in real time; when I use it for expressions or in the rare cases I pan the scene while setting up lights I have a delay of a second or so during which I get smooth-shaded while the first pass of the Iray preview is prepared.  Bear in mind that this is on a landscape 4k full screen so this is a preview with is 2k portrait - about 1080x1920 in practice.

dForce uses OpenCL, not OpenGL.

Richard Haseltine said:

dForce uses OpenCL, not OpenGL.

Ah, so maybe TCC mode does support OpenGL; I know if the TitanXP is in TCC mode I can't use it for dForce, and, checking the Simulation "Advanced" tab the Intel UHD 630 does offer "Intel OpenCL graphics".  The non-support in the TCC driver seems to be a long standing issue, certainly over 11 years now since the only discussions I could find about it date to 2010.  Not that TCC mode is particularly likely to speed up rendering significantlly, at least I haven't seen any comments that suggest it does.

• People plug TCC not for speed but because it doesn't reserve any video buffer, so making more memory available for scene data without dropping to CPU. However, the latest builds of Windows now make considerably lesser demands on the GPU's memory, I believe, so this is less of an issue for non-display GPUs.

A brief summary of 4.15.1.72, I was rendering a very simple scene, character+prop+spotlight+HDRI-dome with 4.15.0.30 (General Release) at the time so I did an immediate comparison with the same scene, I just opened it, rendered it (again) and closed it:

Render Time: 4.15.0.30: 4080.334s, 4.15.1.72: 4059.061s {I.e. the same.}
    Shutdown (close DAZ Studio) with 4.15.1.72 (after I cancelled the incorrect request to save):

2021-10-07 20:35:48.785 Saving session layout...
    2021-10-07 20:36:11.194 Deleting Application Settings Manager...

So that's 22.409 seconds to close.  WAY TO GO!

And yet, stepping back from my self appointed role as a CA cheerleader, pleated colorful skirt akimbo, you still have a long way to go.  The answer is 0, zero - DAZ Studio should exit immediately when it has nothing useful to do; it's a computer, not a human being.

• HoMartHoMart Posts: 480

I´m working on a 3 Monitor setup, I would like to get the "resize" and "minimize" buttons back to the undocked panes.

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,567

HoMart said:

I´m working on a 3 Monitor setup, I would like to get the "resize" and "minimize" buttons back to the undocked panes.

The Change log says;

• Removed obsolete actions from pane group/pane option menus

• “Make Pane Undockable” (when docked)

• “Make Pane Group Undockable” (when docked)

• “Make Pane Dockable” (when undockable)

• “Make Pane Group Dockable” (when undockable)

• “Undockable” pane groups (undocked pane groups nested in dialogs) in saved layouts are now substituted with “undocked” pane groups

Does that mean that you are no longer able to create old style groups of panes for each monitor, that you could then maximize to full screen in that monitor?

PerttiA said:

HoMart said:

The Change log says;

• Removed obsolete actions from pane group/pane option menus

• “Make Pane Undockable” (when docked)

• “Make Pane Group Undockable” (when docked)

• “Make Pane Dockable” (when undockable)

• “Make Pane Group Dockable” (when undockable)

• “Undockable” pane groups (undocked pane groups nested in dialogs) in saved layouts are now substituted with “undocked” pane groups

Does that mean that you are no longer able to create old style groups of panes for each monitor, that you could then maximize to full screen in that monitor?

you are able to undock and create your own. but I had to size it manually to the screen. The topbar is gone somewhere or I´m too stupid to find it again.

if I use Iraymode in viewport my image is looking good - if I render the image as I always did before I have massive poke through

Looks like smoothing is lost for the render in new window.

may someone confirm this?

• HoMart said:

I´m working on a 3 Monitor setup, I would like to get the "resize" and "minimize" buttons back to the undocked panes

Same issue. 3 Monitors. One more proof that you need to read changelog before updating. Someone can consider what you like to be obsolete.

• HoMart said:

if I use Iraymode in viewport my image is looking good - if I render the image as I always did before I have massive poke through

Is it displacement? That isn't shown in Drawstyles but is in renders, and can cause poke-through since - as a render-time effect - the geometry can't be adjusted to it.

• altran_6362bf39e0 said:

HoMart said:

I´m working on a 3 Monitor setup, I would like to get the "resize" and "minimize" buttons back to the undocked panes

Same issue. 3 Monitors. One more proof that you need to read changelog before updating. Someone can consider what you like to be obsolete.

Undockable panes have been deprecated for a long time (4.6.4.4) as they were, I believe, a stop-gap to deal with problems with regular panes docking too easily. They were implemented as non-modal dialogues and caused issues of their own, hence finally being removed. You could feature request the features they had that undocked pane groups lack, however https://www.daz3d.com/help

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,567

Richard Haseltine said:

altran_6362bf39e0 said:

HoMart said:

Undockable panes have been deprecated for a long time (4.6.4.4) as they were, I believe, a stop-gap to deal with problems with regular panes docking too easily. They were implemented as non-modal dialogues and caused issues of their own, hence finally being removed. You could feature request the features they had that undocked pane groups lack, however https://www.daz3d.com/help

At that time (DS 4.6.4.4) there probably weren't many using multi-monitor setups...

• PerttiA said:

Richard Haseltine said:

altran_6362bf39e0 said:

HoMart said:

At that time (DS 4.6.4.4) there probably weren't many using multi-monitor setups...

I can drag undocked panes out of the main window (I don't have a multi-monitor set up to see what happens there). Whatever useful features are missing, please feature request their addition to undocked panes.

I've finally been able to see the ChangeLog (it was invisible to me when @PerttiA quoted it):

• Fixed #DS-242/#CS-155800, #DS-1765/#CS-291149/#CS-303353/#CS-312519 - An issue where the cursor becomes invisible within a viewport if a mouse button other than the one used to initiate a view control operation is clicked while the initiating mouse button is still pressed; the operation is still interrupted, but now the hidden cursor is restored

Yes, fixed; the cursor no longer goes AWOL if the right mouse button is clicked while left-dragging a view control.​

• skboaskboa Posts: 59

Richard Haseltine said:

HoMart said:

Is it displacement? That isn't shown in Drawstyles but is in renders, and can cause poke-through since - as a render-time effect - the geometry can't be adjusted to it.

Displacement is shown at least in iray preview, not sure about filament at the moment.

• skboa said:

Richard Haseltine said:

HoMart said:

Displacement is shown at least in iray preview, not sure about filament at the moment.

I wasn't sure, but if it can be shown it depends on Draw settings - and I'm pretty sure it's off by default.

• johndoe_36eb90b0johndoe_36eb90b0 Posts: 235
    edited October 2021

Now that Public Beta 4.15.1.72 is out, when do we get a full changelog?

It seems like quite a big jump to go from 4.15.0.30 to 4.15.1.72 with plenty of details missing. Has Iray been updated as well?

Post edited by johndoe_36eb90b0 on
  • johndoe_36eb90b0 said:

Public Beta 4.15.1.72 is out, when do we get a changelog?

http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/dazstudio/4/change_log#4_15_1_72

• Yes, but there's nothing between 4.15.0.30 and 4.15.1.63.

Both the Highlights and NVIDIA Iray threads haven't been updated and have incomplete change lists for the last few beta versions.

Also, shouldn't we be having a new beta thread now?

• johndoe_36eb90b0 said:

Yes, but there's nothing between 4.15.0.30 and 4.15.1.63.

There were chnages in the interim versions, but most of them were merged into the 4.15.0.x line as it went along (see the merged into trunk entries) and I suppose they aren't in the 4.15.1.x branch to avoid confusing duplication (the change log is "sanitised," things go unlisted for various reasons - including being spoilers for forthcoming news).

Both the Highlights and NVIDIA Iray threads haven't been updated and have incomplete change lists for the last few beta versions.

The iray thread is current for the version included with all currently (publicly) available versions of DS. The Highlights therad is updated by Rob as he has the time, it isn't part of the Daz allocation of hours so it depends on when he can fit it in. In any event it isn't that far out of date compard to the change log so it shouldn't be too onerous to use the two together for now.

Also, shouldn't we be having a new beta thread now?

• Quick Question on the Beta 4.15.1.72. Just noticed that it doesn't show my Poser Links - the choice to see them is there, but not the file links themselves. Is this because it is a Beta? It is fine on the most recent non- beta (and always has been), where it does show my Poser 11 and poser 12 items. Thanks for any reply.

• operator99 said:

Quick Question on the Beta 4.15.1.72. Just noticed that it doesn't show my Poser Links - the choice to see them is there, but not the file links themselves. Is this because it is a Beta? It is fine on the most recent non- beta (and always has been), where it does show my Poser 11 and poser 12 items. Thanks for any reply.

Did you map the content paths in the current beta?

• If you download http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/dazstudio/4/referenceguide/scripting/api_reference/samples/file_io/save_mapped_paths/start (using the link above the code) and drag it into the Viewport of the General Release it will generate a file that you can drag into the Viewport of the Public Build to make the directories match.

• Richard Haseltine said:

If you download http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/dazstudio/4/referenceguide/scripting/api_reference/samples/file_io/save_mapped_paths/start (using the link above the code) and drag it into the Viewport of the General Release it will generate a file that you can drag into the Viewport of the Public Build to make the directories match.

Nice. Thank you 

• Mustakettu85Mustakettu85 Posts: 2,933

Hi everyone,

I'm running the latest beta. Upgraded to Win11 today, and then noticed a weird thing while loading my scene: DS showed a dialog window informing me about an image loading error, the viewport took several seconds to stabilise, and then when I went to check the log, there was this:

2021-10-28 23:47:41.053 Error occurred while loading image. See the log file for details.

2021-10-28 23:47:41.053 Error loading image: C Exception: Memory Access Violation - Attempted to write memory at address 0xfe013fdf

2021-10-28 23:47:41.053 Failed to load image: H:\!_3D\content\Runtime\Textures\Moyra\Gothiquesque\GR_HMarch3.jpg

2021-10-28 23:47:41.054 Unhandled exception during operation

2021-10-28 23:47:41.084 WARNING: ..\..\..\..\..\src\sdksource\interface\dz3dviewport.cpp(4440): OpenGL error while drawing to the viewport: stack underflow

Can this be due to Win11? Do I need to file a bug report? Thank you.

• Mustakettu85 said:

Hi everyone,

I'm running the latest beta. Upgraded to Win11 today, and then noticed a weird thing while loading my scene: DS showed a dialog window informing me about an image loading error, the viewport took several seconds to stabilise, and then when I went to check the log, there was this:

2021-10-28 23:47:41.053 Error occurred while loading image. See the log file for details.

2021-10-28 23:47:41.053 Error loading image: C Exception: Memory Access Violation - Attempted to write memory at address 0xfe013fdf

2021-10-28 23:47:41.053 Failed to load image: H:\!_3D\content\Runtime\Textures\Moyra\Gothiquesque\GR_HMarch3.jpg

2021-10-28 23:47:41.054 Unhandled exception during operation

2021-10-28 23:47:41.084 WARNING: ..\..\..\..\..\src\sdksource\interface\dz3dviewport.cpp(4440): OpenGL error while drawing to the viewport: stack underflow

Can this be due to Win11? Do I need to file a bug report? Thank you.

Do you have the General Release installed as well? If yes, load the same scene in that and see if the behaviour is the same.

• Mustakettu85Mustakettu85 Posts: 2,933

DoctorJellybean said:

Do you have the General Release installed as well? If yes, load the same scene in that and see if the behaviour is the same.

Not at this machine, no. I think I will download it just in case.

Meanwhile, I ran all the checks I could think of, reinstalled DIM and then the beta, updated a few stray drivers, and after a few tries the scene now loads and renders fine... I have the dump files DS and DIM created when they both crashed during a particularly unlucky take, would they be anyhow useful? 

I think there may be two potential issues at the core of this weirdness - first, the fact that I had to undervolt in the BIOS as Throttlestop won't work in Win11 with WSL2 enabled; then (maybe the more relevant one) the fact that I installed the 510.06 NVIDIA driver to test WSLg (and haven't even yet, was busy figuring out how to get undervolting back).

• mikmodmikmod Posts: 65
    edited October 2021

Hi!

I noticed, that this G3M material can crash latest DS stable (4.15.0.30) and all later betas (till 4.15.1.84). Just try to Iray-preview the viewport. DS will probably crash with c0000374 exception in nt.dll library (caught by Windows, not DS, and also there's no trace in the log). This preset uses RyLainey textures and G3F UV set on G3M. WIll probably crash the program even without textures.

The workaround for now is to check all the figure surfaces and use "Iray Uber Base" shader preset from Shader Presets\Iray\DAZ Uber folder. This should prevent the crash.

By the way, this is ANAGenesis 2-created shader, so the author of that shader might want to update this product for recent versions of DS.

duf
    duf
    test RLainey crashing mat preset.duf
    Post edited by mikmod on