Is anyone game?

Comments

• MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,155

NGartplay, adbc - thank you both! I like #2 and #3 best myself, but I thought I'd post all four (since I've not posted anythng in a while).

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,135
    edited January 2021

MelanieL - four great examples. I find it amazing what artwork can be created with the same simple setup of a sphere, a torus and 2 radials. Just change materials, lighting an camera.

The original scene used, the camera placed to another position and the GWL fixed to it (horizontal 300°). The material on the torus a bit of transparency controlled by the squiggles. The sphere is mostly reflecting but also a bit transparent in order the WpH14_SC HDRI (from the Hypertextures Base set) can shine through, additionally specular at Halo 0 and Anisotropy. Rendered regular with max. ray depth 24.

Ringed Tunnel

RingedTunnel.jpg
    1200 x 800 - 228K
    Post edited by Horo on

Horo - thank you. I agree that looking back through the thread there is enormous variety. Your latest is another great example - very fleshy- looking!

• mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 5,009

Thanks MelanieL, NGartplay, Horo and Adbc for the kind comments.

MelanieL - an awesome set of abstracts, I like them all.

Horo - wow that's awesome, I like the effect and texture of the material.

• NGartplayNGartplay Posts: 2,844

What a superb render Horo.  I'm feeling snails crawling on me when I look at it. Oh wait...all of a sudden I'm wanting chocolate.

edited January 2021

mermaid - thank you.

Here's my next set. I moved the camera inside the bottom of the torus looking up, added a fish-eye lens and brightened the radial lights, adding different colour gradients.
    #1 The sphere has a fully reflective cut-crystal-style material and the torus has a similar but differently coloured material which is partially transparent.

#2 The sphere has a fully reflective stained glass material and the torus a semi-solidified vortex glass material. I rotated the camera 45 degrees on the y-axis to get a diagonal view.

#3 The sphere has a squiggly patterned material and the torus uses the same as #2 but slightly reflective and more deeply coloured. I rotated the camera another 22.5 degrees.

Abstract-1-I1.jpg
    1024 x 768 - 989K
    Abstract-1-I2.jpg
    1024 x 768 - 794K
    Abstract-1-I3.jpg
    1024 x 768 - 786K
    Post edited by MelanieL on

MelanieL, brava, wonderful images.  The first looks Mayan or Incan, so cool.  The second has beautiful colors and reflections that look like they have bump.  The last one is hot looking.

• adbcadbc Posts: 3,105
    edited January 2021

Horo : beautiful render, great texture.

MelanieL : three wonderful images, I like the colours.

For the first image I used two different rastered materials for the sphere and the torus and an HDRI sky. For the second one I added a torus and 2 planes with a mirror material, the sphere has a water material+image texture and the sky an HDRI.

blank-abstract-24.jpg
    800 x 533 - 114K
    blank-abstract-25.jpg
    800 x 533 - 75K
    Post edited by adbc on

MelanieL - thank you. Three superb examples.

mermaid and NGartplay - thank you.

adbc - thank you. Two great renders, I like the first most.

Horo : thank you. I also prefer the first one.

edited January 2021

MelanieL - Wow,  three fantastic abstracts.

Adbc - two awesome renders.

Post edited by mermaid010 on

NGartplay, Horo, mermaid - thank you very much.

adbc - thank you. I love your latest pair, especially the first, it's just wonderful!

adbc, wonderful renders.  The first has a reptilian look to it and I see King Kong in the second.

mermaid, MelanieL, NGartplay : thank you.

edited January 2021

Not very breathtaking but only the torus, the sphere and an HDRI (WpH41), no radials. The camera looks straight through the torus. The torus has a positive and negative Curvature Hypertexture to control transparency and reflection (25%), the sphere a positive and negative Hypertexture also to control reflection (2%) and transparency with refraction 300. Nothing else. If the torus gets some bump, it's only a thick torus, the effect of the Curvature Hypertextures is destroyed.

Tori and Orb
    Here with another HDRI that shows what happens. By the way, the picture is a map of Middle Earth behind the sphere and on the sphere upside down.

Entre View

ToriAndOrb.jpg
    1200 x 800 - 292K
    EntreView.jpg
    1200 x 800 - 241K
    Post edited by Horo on

Horo : cool abstracts, the colours on the first one are beautiful. 

Horo, excellent work.  I really like the first one because of the bright colors and the fractured look of some of the areas.  I think it's really pretty.

The second one is cool.  Makes me want to say 'Ship ahoy!  Where to captain?'  I'm a fan of maps and had some framed ones for years.  I'm assuming this is your office.

Horo - awesome abstracts, I like them both

Thank you adbc, NGartplay and mermaid.

I added the second one only to show what's going on. And no, this isn't my office (though there are some folders), it's the entrance hall. At full right, the dark part is the door to enter.

Horo - another nice pair of abstracts.

edited January 2021

Just one today: radial lights set to colour gradient again, another wide-angle lens attached to the camera. The torus is 20% reflective and 20% transparent with a geometric pattern. The sphere is 50% reflective with a cloudy pattern diffuse and geometric pattern bump (I'm not sure why those curved lines appeared, but I liked them so I kept them). 

Abstract-1-J.jpg
    1024 x 768 - 722K
  • BurpeeBurpee Posts: 152

MelanieL, that is fabulous.  I love the lines, they really make the image.

Well, Daz 3D is messing with me.  I accidentally logged in as Burpee.  NGartplay says the same thing as Burpee, lol.  I used to use Burpee because I garden and Burpee Seeds are the organic seeds I like to use.  Please excuse the mistake.

edited January 2021

Had a play with this again. I added a second torii, made it fatter, smaller and the ID smaller. Rotated the camera 90 degrees

12abstract-6.jpg
    1200 x 800 - 740K
    Post edited by NGartplay on

MelanieL - superb abstract the lines add to the beauty of the render.

NGartplay - wow an awesome render, the material you used is beautiful.

MelanieL - thank you. This looks very nice with the colour gradient on the radials.

NGartplay - this fat torus with those patterns reminds me of H.R.Giger's Necronomicon.

MelanieL : cool render, I love the lines and the colours.

NGartplay : Awesome render, beautiful material.

Thank you Horo and adbc. Now, I wonder where Hansmar went?

• HansmarHansmar Posts: 2,758

Horo: your first example on is fantastic! Kind of a shell-like structure with a wonderful texture. The second one has spectacular colours (and colour separation), while the third one looks like looking through a lens.

MelanieL: great renders. The first one has a clear sci-fi effect, like a centrifuge. The second one is highly psychedelic! The third one is fiery. The fourth one  looks like one of those drawing machine pictures.

Adbc: Oh my, what wonderful colours and texture in the first one and a ghost-like work in the second.

NGartplay. Highly liquid feel to your wonderful render. Very good choice of colours.

edited January 2021

NGartplay (aka Burpee!) - thank you. You new one with the extra torus is lovely: great colours and I really like the way those "jewel" style blobs appear.
    mermaid, Horo, adbc - thank you all.