Carrara Challenge #56 - "Let There Be Light."

Comments

• I'm into creating simple shapes at the moment...

A simple shape...

Decided to put it in a box and on a plinth. The interesting spot in the background has an ies added...

Dressed the plinth with Phong Shader and a draped cloth - courtesy of Carrara's native soft body physics engine (it's just delicious!)

Next, I start messing about with the composition...

Shaders used are my own, everything rendered using Carrara's basic photorealistic render...

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 7,776

Philemo - wonderful scene, gotta get me one of the cars !

Persona Non Grata aka Selina - beautiful scenes - hope you enter them !

mschack - simple but elegant !

• Headwax said:

Sorry about the typos .... ipads fault

so you posted an apology instead of editing it devil

LOL laugh 

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,817

that's just how we roll .... cool

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,085
    edited February 2021

Phantom of the Basement

I am going to get one in.  G2F with Portia Hair in Flirty Nightgown.

Set, phantom, and candleholder modeled in Carrara.  Used the spline modeler for the steps and the arch hallway.

To the extent I have a tip or trick, it is remembering to use a layers list and parametric mapping to apply two different procedural shaders to the spline model that forms the upper right hallway.  

cc04 scene setup.jpg
    1797 x 955 - 255K
    cc01 layers list parametric mapping.jpg
    1716 x 910 - 238K
    Stairs jpg 01.jpg
    1220 x 1600 - 190K
    Post edited by Diomede on
  • ..still messin'

Thanks Bunyip02 for your kind comments smiley

• Sci Fi FunkSci Fi Funk Posts: 1,198

Hi,

I woke up this morning to check the entries thread for new entries and found both my pictures were deleted. I've put them back again and this time left the thumbnail.

Has this happend to anyone before? It's my first competition, did I do something wrong? Any help greatly appreciated.

• you need to leave the thumbnail there or have it in your WIP post because the image embed links to it

you see it for a while after deleting because it is in your browser cache

• AND THERE'S MORE

..decided to give the shape some structure and created a skeleton - rather than mesh manipulation / morphs...

HOW IT WAS DONE...

• In vertex room select edge loops and faces to see where the centre of these are and make a list.
    • In the model room add separate bones where these 'centre' are and orient them so that they follow the lines of the mesh
    • Parent the bones into a finished skeleton
    • Attach the skeleton to the mesh and create an animation group
    • Check mesh deformations and tidy up (if necessary) in the vertext room

WendyLuvsCatz said:

you need to leave the thumbnail there or have it in your WIP post because the image embed links to it

you see it for a while after deleting because it is in your browser cache

Thanks Wendy - that makes sense. I'll leave the thumbnails in for now.

@Persona Non Grata I'm liking the key light to the front left of your latest pic "..still messin'".

• mschackmschack Posts: 337
    edited February 2021

The final (I think)  It took a really long time to figure out how to get the light drop off in the candle playing with SSS, but it was a colour mixer with elevation blending in the glow channel that did the trick. Rendered in Cararra and all Cararra native objects except I modelled the mirror, candle and napkin (in Cararra).  Also both wood textures are from our fine friends at Textures.com.

CararraView2.JPG
    1858 x 1080 - 263K
    Doc13.JPG
    1920 x 1080 - 96K
    Post edited by mschack on

@mschack You've captured the right balance between the light the candle is throwing off and the ambient room lighting. Looks great!

• mschackmschack Posts: 337

Sci Fi Funk said:

@mschack You've captured the right balance between the light the candle is throwing off and the ambient room lighting. Looks great!

Thanks!

Diomede - Phantom looks great, glad the update didn't stop you !!!

Persona Non Grata - nice rigging skills !

mschack - excellent !

@Persona Non Grata - Two strong entries congrats. Have you thought of animating that model you rigged? 

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

Headwax said:

Persona Non Grata said:

Philemo_Carrara said:

...index of refraction should influence Caustics on reflection, but I couldn't see it. But it definitely does on transparency.

These images don't have any transparency applied to the object's shader, only reflection and IOR and as you can see if intensity is set higher than the offered 1000 you can definitely see something in the caustic pass...

Caustic pass...

looking wonderfully organic - great idea to seperate the caustics render pass so you can see what is happening

why render caustics in a pass?  works better that way? 

• The only advantage I can see for rendering anything in a pass is for later compositing. Then you can 'colour' or blur the layers and create interesting effects. For example, the caustics layer above would look better coloured more yellow and then added to the original image...

Hope that helps, however I can't see a way to render just the caustics layer and not the whole image - if anyone knows that?

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,927

Persona Non Grata said:

The only advantage I can see for rendering anything in a pass is for later compositing. Then you can 'colour' or blur the layers and create interesting effects. For example, the caustics layer above would look better coloured more yellow and then added to the original image...

Hope that helps, however I can't see a way to render just the caustics layer and not the whole image - if anyone knows that?

goode point but I just discovered that carrara's caustic pass is not telling the whole story - I'll post results later.

lobve your simple scene by the way - the best way to explore lighting without too many parameters

nice character :)

mschack said:

The final (I think)  It took a really long time to figure out how to get the light drop off in the candle playing with SSS, but it was a colour mixer with elevation blending in the glow channel that did the trick. Rendered in Cararra and all Cararra native objects except I modelled the mirror, candle and napkin (in Cararra).  Also both wood textures are from our fine friends at Textures.com.

mschack that turned out beautifully - the whole scene has an ethereal glow

Diomede said:

Phantom of the Basement

I am going to get one in.  G2F with Portia Hair in Flirty Nightgown.

Set, phantom, and candleholder modeled in Carrara.  Used the spline modeler for the steps and the arch hallway.

To the extent I have a tip or trick, it is remembering to use a layers list and parametric mapping to apply two different procedural shaders to the spline model that forms the upper right hallway.  

thats the  image for the cover of a novel if ever I saw one :)

edited February 2021

finally had a chance to play with carrara ugh

this is a simple scene with two matching m4 figures and two spheres domes 

to get the weird tree like silhoettes I used a mandlebrot thingy in the alpha part of the shader

the main light comes from a light which just lights up the spheres only - I used caustics and reflections  to light up most of the rest of the scene  - without casutics turned on the scenes ia black

stars are in post work

no post work

post work

mandlebrot shader in alpha channel

scene showing simple setup

alternative view showing shader and caustics 

kneelingman_Color.jpg
    2628 x 2000 - 2M
    kneelingman.jpg
    4000 x 3044 - 5M
    Mandlebrotset.jpg
    2121 x 1280 - 659K
    Untitled-2.jpg
    1936 x 1346 - 2M
    anotherviewofscene4.jpg
    2056 x 1377 - 1M
    Post edited by Headwax on
  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,085

Thanks for the comment, Headwax.  I've had so much chaos recently that I was afraid I wouldn't get any entry in.

Philemo_Carrara said:

As the theme is about light, I've decided to experiment with reflection, transparency, refraction and caustics.

I've never used caustics before so this is new to me.

Let's talk first about caustics, I'll come to the scene construction in another post.

After several tries and error, I came to the following settings:

The main parameter here is the filter size. if it's too small, you get a lumpy effect. If it's to big, the effect is so diffused you don't notice it. Also, the size of the filter is related to render time. The bigger the size, the longer it takes.

Here is the render without caustics:

The caustics pass:

The final image:

You need see the images full size to really see the effect. It's not obvious (except on the windshield), but it's definitely there.

From a physical point of view, index of refraction should influence Caustics on reflection, but I couldn't see it. But it definitely does on transparency.

custics is a neat trick.  needs idl on ?

• just a bulb soft shadow & a fire in the smae spot + IDL.

the shade has add thickness & 2 shading domains:

the IN one has tile MC mixer: a color + translucency one & reflective + bump one.

the OUT has a caution for color and translucency.

all in the shader1.png
    1024 x 768 - 622K
  • Playing with simple shapes, transparency and a light cone

The shape

The simple scene

The simple shader

The quick render

looks like you've started a godzilla model

Headwax said:

finally had a chance to play with carrara ugh

post work

Another classic Headwax - love your setups for your scenes !!!

shlomi laszlo said:

just a bulb soft shadow & a fire in the smae spot + IDL.

the shade has add thickness & 2 shading domains:

the IN one has tile MC mixer: a color + translucency one & reflective + bump one.

the OUT has a caution for color and translucency.

Simple but effective scene, well done !

Persona Non Grata said:

Playing with simple shapes, transparency and a light cone

The quick render

Awesome !!!