Michael 8.1

Comments

• Weirdly I grabbed the new Genesis 8 Male Starter Essentials to play with while I wait for Michael 8.1 pricing to settle and discover:

There is no longer a genesis 8.0 male base figure showing only 8.1.

Checked the female side as well as that updated again at the same time - now there is no genesis 8.0 or 8.1 female base - leaving me with  just a genesis 3 female base figure installed.

David

• The Inner Circle said:

Weirdly I grabbed the new Genesis 8 Male Starter Essentials to play with while I wait for Michael 8.1 pricing to settle and discover:

There is no longer a genesis 8.0 male base figure showing only 8.1.

Checked the female side as well as that updated again at the same time - now there is no genesis 8.0 or 8.1 female base - leaving me with  just a genesis 3 female base figure installed.

David

DAZ has moved all the stuff to "Genesis 8 Male Powerpose Templates" by mistake. You will find your 8.0 figures there (if using SmartContent)

• Thanks Mark - I thought they would be there somewhere.

David

• nemesis10nemesis10 Posts: 3,276
    edited January 2021

I decided to try a quick render of Michael 8.1 HD with some Redz hair and a little muscle and vein supplied by AME:

8.1_HD.jpeg
    1555 x 1233 - 489K
    Post edited by nemesis10 on
  • lilweeplilweep Posts: 2,250

AllenArt said:

I do like his sculpt. I find his skin a little flat and featureless tho. And his eyes don't look nearly as good as Vicky 8.1's do.

Laurie

i was just thinking to myself that his eyes didnt look anywhere as good as Victoria 8.1's eyes. 

I feel like the quality of G8.1M was not as good as the female counterpart purely for that reason as that was one of the greatest things about Victoria 8.1

• plasma_ringplasma_ring Posts: 1,020
    edited January 2021

I should def go to bed BUT if you like his overall vibe but he's a bit on the young/Earring Magic Ken side for you, 50-50 with Landon's morph is a good look for him IMO. 

He looks kinda like the guy who's in all the movies. You know the one. Okay, back to rendering demons and stuff. 

mikedon landmike who knows.png
    1532 x 1241 - 1M
    Post edited by plasma_ring on
  • lilweeplilweep Posts: 2,250

alex86fire said:

For me, a big part of the incentive to get 8.1 characters is the new skin. As the old morphs work for G8.1, only very good skin settings that take advantage of the new features in 8.1 would be something to make me want a character. I don't think that is what Michael 8.1 is. His skin looks worse than a lot of older G8 characters. I think the same can be said about Trance. I like both morphs but I think the skin is underwhelming on both of them for G8.1 chars.

One thing I would like to say though is that a lot of people were asking for a young male character in the G8 generation. Mike kind of looks like that, so I think for them it should be fine.

I mean, you can use the new skin shader on old characters.

• MimicMollyMimicMolly Posts: 2,117

I like this bundle a lot, but the deal isn't good for me. :'3

Unlike most of y'all, I like these younger airbrushed dudes because they're the only ones that compliment all the airbrushed young women characters that are released practically every day.

• TimbalesTimbales Posts: 2,259
    Does the body hair include underarm/armpit hair and pubic hair?
  • Wicked WhompWicked Whomp Posts: 214
    edited January 2021

MimicMolly said:

Unlike most of y'all, I like these younger airbrushed dudes because they're the only ones that compliment all the airbrushed young women characters that are released practically every day.

I'm the oppoiste. As much as I really like the way Michael 8.1 looks from the promos and from another users post, I'm entirely uninterested in everything but Michael 8.1, the sneaker collection and the casual outfit. The freebie to pick if buying the bundle isn't even for Michael 8.1. Here's hoping Michael 8.1 has a second bundle like Victoria 8.1, and that it has more that I'm interested in to warrant myself buying the bundle. If not, I'll likely only pick up his model along with Victoria 8.1

Post edited by Wicked Whomp on
  • JUJUJUJU Posts: 1,120

Very handsome!

plasma_ring said:

I should def go to bed BUT if you like his overall vibe but he's a bit on the young/Earring Magic Ken side for you, 50-50 with Landon's morph is a good look for him IMO. 

He looks kinda like the guy who's in all the movies. You know the one. Okay, back to rendering demons and stuff. 

• JUJUJUJU Posts: 1,120

Thanks! Is this with or without HD Morph?

plasma_ring said:

vwrangler said:

A puzzling thing: according to his product page, Michael 8.1 includes 3Delight settings, and Victoria didn't. He also includes an add-on character in his first bundle, and Victoria didn't include a character in either of her bundles.

Beyond that, he's MUCH younger looking than Michael 8, and not nearly as lantern-jawed.

Mostly, I just kind of want Trance, though.

Huh, he doesn't include 3Delight in his materials folder. 

Here he is as he loads, under default settings. Actually much more realistic than in the promos IMO. His skin texture has hair stubble on the scalp. 

• MimicMollyMimicMolly Posts: 2,117

MimicMolly said:

I'm the oppoiste. As much as I really like the way Michael 8.1 looks from the promos and from another users post, I'm entirely uninterested in everything but Michael 8.1, the sneaker collection and the casual outfit. The freebie to pick if buying the bundle isn't even for Michael 8.1. Here's hoping Michael 8.1 has a second bundle like Victoria 8.1, and that it has more that I'm interested in to warrant myself buying the bundle. If not, I'll likely only pick up his model along with Victoria 8.1

I agree with this. I like Michael 8.1 himself, but I wonder if I should wait since this bundle could be offered for a lot less later.

The good thing about 8.1 is that I can start enjoying it with what I have whenever I get the chance to download the update. So I'll wait for him, like I waited for Twoset 8.

• CZCZ Posts: 160

brimstoneomega said:

*sigh* 

I remember when I used to look forward to new Pro Bundle releases, and actually buy them.

Those were the days.

I like the character, but this is another lackluster and overpriced release. Just like Vicky, way too much money, not enough products. I kinda feel bad for anyone just starting with Daz. We used to get deals. It seemed like they used to care about their customer base. Now it's just broken stuff and cash grabs.

In the last 3 or 4 years, I've spent thousands of dollars here. In the last 3 or 4 months, I've spent near to nothing.

Same for me too. As I'm mostly interested in male characters and seeing the quality gowing down, I save so much money.

Lee 7, Gianni 7 and Elijah 7 are way better and Dain 8, Kjaer 8 and Nix 8 also were insta buys. After seeing Vicky 8.1 I was so excited to get a comparable high quality male, but will skip this one. And on top, the 8.1 generation is much more expensive with less useful stuff in the bundles.

• BarubaryBarubary Posts: 1,201

I wonder, are the Male and Female Anatomical Elements in the Varsity Bundle the same that are in the Victoria 8.1 Bundles? Or are they the specific versions for only Genesis 8.1 Male?

• MelissaGTMelissaGT Posts: 2,610

nemesis10 said:

I decided to try a quick render of Michael 8.1 HD with some Redz hair and a little muscle and vein supplied by AME:

Can I ask what hair that is? 

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,051

Barubary said:

I wonder, are the Male and Female Anatomical Elements in the Varsity Bundle the same that are in the Victoria 8.1 Bundles? Or are they the specific versions for only Genesis 8.1 Male?

Geografts are figure-specific, so they would be the version for G8M.

edited January 2021

I'll probably buy the base character just to have it because typically "Michael" is one of the ones PA's will build from...but otherwise he's entirely too young and unweathered for anything I'd use (but then again, so is Vicky 8.1). 

Post edited by MelissaGT on
  • Wicked WhompWicked Whomp Posts: 214
    edited January 2021

Leana said:

Barubary said:

The Genesis 8.1 page that lists the updates specifically mentions that male anatomical elements will now work on females. Conversely, female anatomical elements will work on males.

If this isn't actually the case, then Daz needs to update their page.

I just checked. I own the Aiko 8 pro bundle, but the anatomical geografts now works on Genesis 8 males (including the 8.1 base male), though without any materials (as far as I can see).

Post edited by Wicked Whomp on
    edited January 2021

Additional question...does Michael 8.1 come with anything (vellus hair, etc) that would entice me to buy him? Otherwise, he's looking like a pass for now...I wouldn't even use his skin on a different character. But Trance...I'll buy Trance, and I noticed that he doesn't have M8.1 listed as a requirement. 

*edit* I see he comes with Genesis 8 Male Body Hair...is that the hair picture in promos? Because if it is, 'taint that good and again, pass. I have other older fiber body hair products that are way better. 

• DaikatanaDaikatana Posts: 828

melissastjames said:

Additional question...does Michael 8.1 come with anything (vellus hair, etc) that would entice me to buy him? Otherwise, he's looking like a pass for now...I wouldn't even use his skin on a different character. But Trance...I'll buy Trance, and I noticed that he doesn't have M8.1 listed as a requirement. 

*edit* I see he comes with Genesis 8 Male Body Hair...is that the hair picture in promos? Because if it is, 'taint that good and again, pass. I have other older fiber body hair products that are way better. 

It was stated somewhere in the V8.1 thread that the vellus hair would be coming with all future 8.1 releases.  I'm guessing that is what could be meant by the "male body hair" included in this release.  I could be wrong about that detail though.  Pobody's nerfect.

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,051
    edited January 2021

Wicked Whomp said:

Leana said:

Barubary said:

The Genesis 8.1 page that lists the updates specifically mentions that male anatomical elements will now work on females. Conversely, female anatomical elements will work on males.

If this isn't actually the case, then Daz needs to update their page.

I read that blurb as "there's now a version of the male elements which works on the female", not "the add-on made for G8M works for G8F too".

I just redownloaded the anatomical elements to check and each of the zips now includes 2 items :

• The G8F Anatomical elements zip includes "Genesis 8 Female Genitalia" and "Genesis 8.1 Female Genitalia for Male"
    • The G8M one includes "Genesis 8 Male Genitalia" and "Genesis 8.1 Male Genitalia for Female".

Items for male and female are separate, they're probably made so that the UVs are the same and they can use the same morphs though.

Post edited by Leana on
  • ArtAngelArtAngel Posts: 1,514
    edited January 2021

Mark_e593e0a5 said:

Well, I made the "mistake" to go for the bundle. Be warned, the "dForce Basketball Uniform Outfit for Genesis 8.1 Males" did make a quick tour through DAZ, totally avoiding quality control. It tries to load the textures from a completely incorrect place, even labled with !!testing.

The first renders do not look too bad, although I agree that the skin looks a bit too "polished". I am trying to use the "Skin Detail Resource 1" shader to add a bit more skin detail.

Are some of the numbers backwards like on the promo images? I like the theme. The wheelchair looks good. Nice to see they didn't use the older one I own. I might buy it (the chair).

Michael 8.1.JPG
    1494 x 1164 - 255K
    Post edited by ArtAngel on
  • DaikatanaDaikatana Posts: 828

The Michael 8.1 bundle is not that great for my uses but then again I did not go for the Vicky 8.1 bundles either.  I suspect we will not be seeing the bigger bundles going forward with the 8.1's.

Just like with Vicky 8.1, the positives are the new skin, the better eyes, and the better expressions that are possible with the facial controls.  These things are enough to have me purchase a new base character. Im still working out the use of the facial controls because they are more "finicky" than just using a pregenerated expression but I do like the greater subtlety.  Sometimes, the pregenerated expressions can be a little too much.

Historically the available options for male characters have always been fewer in the marketplace.  DAZ3D is a business after all and the female options sell much better.   However, the wheelchair options in this bundle are a new and positive twist.  I personally have no need for that at this point but should I in the future, its nice to know that its actually there in the marketplace to purchase.

Also, because the vast majority of the existing G8 content and character morphs work on G8.1 (with the exception of expressions, 3rd party anatotomical elements, and geoshells so far) we are pretty unlimited in what we do with the new characters. 

• Mark_e593e0a5Mark_e593e0a5 Posts: 1,569
    edited January 2021

ArtAngel said:

Mark_e593e0a5 said:

Well, I made the "mistake" to go for the bundle. Be warned, the "dForce Basketball Uniform Outfit for Genesis 8.1 Males" did make a quick tour through DAZ, totally avoiding quality control. It tries to load the textures from a completely incorrect place, even labled with !!testing.

The first renders do not look too bad, although I agree that the skin looks a bit too "polished". I am trying to use the "Skin Detail Resource 1" shader to add a bit more skin detail.

Are some of the numbers backwards like on the promo images? I like the theme. The wheelchair looks good. Nice to see they didn't use the older one I own. I might buy it (the chair).

No, numbers are okay. But you have to load the materials sepeartely, as adding the wardrobe item will try to load the textures from some weird place. There is only one texture set coming with the package, though (the one shown in the promo renders). 

Post edited by Chohole on
  • Romulus71Romulus71 Posts: 142

Was really looking forward to Michael 8.1 but such a letdown. I don't like to criticize artists' work but if realism is what Daz is going for, this is a step back. The face is cartoonish and the skin is lifeless. So disappointed.

edited January 2021

Romulus71 said:

Was really looking forward to Michael 8.1 but such a letdown. I don't like to criticize artists' work but if realism is what Daz is going for, this is a step back. The face is cartoonish and the skin is lifeless. So disappointed.

Yeah, gotta say that M8.1's skin looks pretty heinous...it doesn't even compare to V8.1's skin (and I have complaints about her skin as well but it still looks good out of the box but M8.1's skin is just eeech).  

Note that I will always buy a character for skin regardless of what the face shape is...because skins can be used elsewhere. So there is literally zero incentive for me to buy M8.1. Props for the representation, tho...I just wish his skin had like any actual depth or detail that looks like skin and not just toon skin. 

edited January 2021

Daikatana said:

melissastjames said:

It was stated somewhere in the V8.1 thread that the vellus hair would be coming with all future 8.1 releases.  I'm guessing that is what could be meant by the "male body hair" included in this release.  I could be wrong about that detail though.  Pobody's nerfect.

V8.1's vellus hair is really nice. If the Genesis 8 Male body hair that comes with M8.1 is what is pictured in one of his promos then it's...well it's not so nice. So far for male body hair, the best product I've ever found is Real Hairy for G2 that thankfully autofits to G8 very nicely. Sadly, I don't believe it's available anymore...or maybe I saw something about the artist now offering it on Rendo, I can't remember.

• Could anyone who has tried Trance without M8.1 comment or post how he looks?

I sadly have to echo most of the posters here, 8.1 looks like a Ken doll to me, a huge disappointment.

edited January 2021

Summerhorse said:

Could anyone who has tried Trance without M8.1 comment or post how he looks?

I sadly have to echo most of the posters here, 8.1 looks like a Ken doll to me, a huge disappointment.

I don't believe Trance has M8.1 listed as a requirement.  

*edit* Nope...just says G8.1 Male. So you should be okay without M8.1...unless it's mislabeled. But with Redz, it's probably not a mislabel.