Future of Carrara

Comments

• RoygeeRoygee Posts: 2,247
    edited December 1969

if you master the keyboard shortcuts required to do anything

When did you last look at Blender, Dart? You can now do virtually anything using menus - the fact that there are so many keyboard short-cuts is simply that - many short-cuts to be able to work faster, but you certainly don't need to memorize them all.

A lot of folks have been wanting Carrara to have more short-cuts:)

If only folk would look past the e-dolls when writing about Carrara's failings. There are so many more interesting subjects for rendering, which Carrara does exceptionally well for the price. How many other apps, other than Studio and Poser do folk use to render humans?

Most really good renders one sees around the net have nothing to do with humans - time to rediscover Carrara as it used to be before it became an e-doll renderer for Studio:)

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125
    edited November 2014

Roygee said:
    if you master the keyboard shortcuts required to do anything

When did you last look at Blender, Dart? You can now do virtually anything using menus - the fact that there are so many keyboard short-cuts is simply that - many short-cuts to be able to work faster, but you certainly don't need to memorize them all.

A lot of folks have been wanting Carrara to have more short-cuts:)

If only folk would look past the e-dolls when writing about Carrara's failings. There are so many more interesting subjects for rendering, which Carrara does exceptionally well for the price. How many other apps, other than Studio and Poser do folk use to render humans?

Most really good renders one sees around the net have nothing to do with humans - time to rediscover Carrara as it used to be before it became an e-doll renderer for Studio:)

Where is my like button? Well put, Roygee.

I would add that I don't think there is anything wrong with edolls. Plenty of people appreciate humans in art. Dustrider, PhilW, and many others do an amazing job of using Carrara in a workflow that includes humans. But everyone need not use the same workflow nor cover the same subjects. If Blender works for something, go for it. If Carrara works for something, use it. Etc. No disagreement there.

- BTW, I have almost finished an introduction to Carrara. I will start a thread for it soon. Part 1 is focused on a background terrain object with a preset then custom shader, then the realistic sky editor (also a preset and a custom), then using a grid from the vertex modeler to make a foreground terrain, a couple of simple objects (for other modeling funcitons), and finally the plant editor. Part 2 is also mostly done. It adds a human (Genesis - yes, Genesis can work in Carrara) along with edoll compatible content. I hope to do a Part 3 focusing on making other custom content that I would steal from some of my other threads. The idea would be to have a thread to point people to who are new to Carrara and just want to know what some of the common functions are and where the tools are in the interface. Then point them to PhilW, Cripeman, Mark Bremmer, MMoir, etc.

Sorry, rambling again.

Post edited by Diomede on
  • Dream CutterDream Cutter Posts: 1,222
    edited December 1969

How many other apps, other than Studio and Poser do folk use to render humans?

As the wise owl once said, One, Two crunch... THREE!

Actually there are now dozens. Vue, Poser, Carrara, DS, IClone, Bryce,Blender, Messiah, are free or very affordable and well suited for hobby artists. Pro's will use tools like 3DMax, Maya and Houdini. Look for 3d animation and rendering apps in this large, yet incomplete list http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_3D_computer_graphics_software

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326
    edited December 1969

Absolutely, I totally agree!
    Carrara is well powered and laid out to do so many things that have nothing to do with "figures". I just constantly make that a point because no other modelers capable of doing such things can work with Poser dolls in such a Poser way. To me, this totally sold me on which 3D animation app to save up for, and continues to make me very happy!

But you're absolutely right. Carrara does have a lot more going for it that, for me, set is apart from the rest of the market. It has built-in animation assistance everywhere throughout the workflow, which is so perfect for what I'm doing.

I do recall seeing some new features in Blender that easy the point-and-click user on the interface. I also recall there still being things that are not like that, which still require a key command, which I'm certainly not against - and I certainly do not intend to bad-mouth Blender in the slightest! If I even sound like that... I used words that came out wrongly according to my beliefs! I haven't even tried the latest few versions of Blender, but already know that I love it... though I'm not sure I'll ever use it, since I'm so "At home" now in Carrara - it fulfills all of my needs for my project - especially now that I have the amazing assistance of Howler.

Rock on, Roygee!
    I still do plan to mess around with Blender... I just need... t i m e ;)

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,144
    edited November 2014

Roygee - you make a good point about using Carrara for non-figure stuff, and I am constantly surprised that some Carrara users have never even tried to use some of it's great features like replication - it is like having Vue and never using Ecosystems! Carrara is such a wide program that you can spend years and not have covered everything. But one of its big strengths is that it can load and manipulate Poser and DS content AS WELL AS all the other 3D stuff (which I think makes it unique). We are humans and we love to look at pictures which include humans, even if they are not the main focus of an image. I am just delighted to have a tool like Carrara to turn my imagination into great images.

Oh and you can add Zbrush to the list of 3D programs which can do humans (and many other creatures!).

Post edited by PhilW on
  • RoygeeRoygee Posts: 2,247
    edited November 2014

Don't get me wrong - I have nothing against using human figures in art. I'm just wondering aloud what users of other applications are so besotted with churning out perfect human renders, other than the Poser/Daz crowd? Pixar don't even do humans!

What amazes is the constant refrain of "Oh dear, G2 doesn't work perfectly, therefore Carrara is doomed".

Except for a few cosmetic changes, what development other than almost Genesis compatibility has Carrara undergone in the past few years? If anything will consign Carrara to the scrapheap of history, it is the lack of development in areas that have become standard in other applications, not whether or not Genesis is perfectly compatible.

Look how many of the regular posters are no longer around - are they suddenly working in isolation, or have they moved on to other apps which don't concentrate on producing perfect humans, but give them the tools to produce more efficiently in other areas?

Have any of you looked at the latest RC of Studio? Huge improvements in many departments - look out big brother, little brother is catching up fast!

Post edited by Roygee on
  • DustRiderDustRider Posts: 2,716
    edited December 1969

Roygee said:
    Don't get me wrong - I have nothing against using human figures in art. I'm just wondering aloud what users of other applications are so besotted with churning out perfect human renders, other than the Poser/Daz crowd? Pixar don't even do humans!

Well, that depends on your definition of "humans" :-)
    Pixar certainly has used many human characters in their movies, they just aren't digital clones of real people (but I hesitate to call them toons, because they are much more than just 3D toons). I think the reason that the Poser/DAZ crowd is "obsessed" with the human form is pretty self evident. What were both Poser and DS designed to do ...... pose and render human figures. So the people that are attracted to them will have a heavy bias toward the use of human figures.

I like to do a bit more than just render pre-made content, or I guess more accurately I should say I like to be able to do what I want to do without the limitations of DS or Poser (though there are also things that they do better than Carrara). I often (OK - most of the time) incorporate pre-made content and edolls (or digital barbies, or whatever you want to call them) into my renders, but may also include items that I either can't find/afford that I need to make myself, or some other features that DS or Poser don't have. However, I do use Carrara for projects that don't use "edolls" too.

If you need an inexpensive full featured 3D application that can use inexpensive pre-made 3D content, especially human content, then Carrara is a great fit. I would guess that if we ever see C9, DAZ 3D content, and Genesis integration will be improved, and probably one of their biggest "bullet points". That's just looking at reality. Selling digital content is how DAZ 3D makes money. Would I like to see some of the other features in Carrara improved as well, and more features beyond content integration added? YES!! But, IMVHO any other features will take second fiddle to content integration. Hopefully, I am 100% wrong, and C9 will include better content integration, and new/improved features.

Roygee said:
    Except for a few cosmetic changes, what development other than almost Genesis compatibility has Carrara undergone in the past few years? If anything will consign Carrara to the scrapheap of history, it is the lack of development in areas that have become standard in other applications, not whether or not Genesis is perfectly compatible.

At least Carrara isn't already on the scrapheap of history like True Space. There really aren't a lot of mid-range products around any more, and definitely not many (any?) with the same price point/feature set of Carrara. The closest one I know of would be Shade3D, though it doesn't have the landscape and tree/plant tools found in Carrara. Cinema 4D can easily use Poser content with Interposer Pro, but you need to get C4D Studio and Vue Infinite to get the same feature set that Carrara has (true - with C4D Studio you get a LOT more than you do with Carrara, but you need C4D Studio the match the features in Carrara).

I'm actually quite glad that I can use Genesis in Carrara. Upgrading to Carrara 8.5 was worth every penny to get the Genesis functionality I now have in Carrara. Is it perfect? No, far from it, but Carrara wasn't designed to use Genesis, it was retrofitted into Carrara, which I consider quite a feat in itself (it isn't easy to fix old code written by a different company with different programmers with new features/systems). Of course, this is just my opinion. I know many others have expressed a completely opposite opinion and don't want/need Genesis/Genesis2, but I am very happy I can use most Genesis features/content in Carrara.

Look how many of the regular posters are no longer around - are they suddenly working in isolation, or have they moved on to other apps which don't concentrate on producing perfect humans, but give them the tools to produce more efficiently in other areas?

Good point. If they don't need/want DS/Poser content integration, they may have moved on to another application. Although it could also be that they just don't have the time or inclination to post anymore. Many of the old regulars in the Commons here, and even the Poser forums I frequent, seldom post anymore, so this may just be a "sign of the times" so to speak.

I checked the DAZ3D shop last night, and Carrara 8.5 was #2 in the "Most Popular" category, and #2 in the "Trending Now" category (it's down to #8 in that category now). Obviously there are a lot of very new Carrara users right now, yet a quick look at the forum here and you would say there aren't many (any?) new users. Maybe forum activity can't be used as a proxy for how much Carrara (or any software/product) gets used? Looking at the DAZ Studio forum, you would get the impression that DS isn't used hardly at all.

This brings up another thought. What is the first thing most of those new Carrara users are going to want to do? My guess is just like what I often do, render their favorite "edoll" in Carrara. Unfortunately many will find that getting a good render with their favorite figure isn't as easy in Carrara as it is in DS or Poser. Then they will find that getting forum help with using their Genesis content in Carrara isn't as easy as in DS, because it seems there are only a handful of us here that actually use Genesis/Genesis2 in Carrara. So if they aren't really committed to learning/using Carrara from the start, then they are discouraged right from the start. Carrara is much more complex than DS, so for many DS users learning Carrara would be similar to Carrara users learning Blender. It is a totally foreign interface, with a completely different work flow. (Yes, Blender has gotten "better", but it's still far from user friendly, I recently got the educational version of Maya, and I can do a lot more with it by just poking around than I can with Blender.)

IMHO, that is why it really is important to the future of Carrara that "edolls" work in Carrara almost as well as they do in DS. Many, or more probably most of the new users of Carrara have only used DS, and to a lesser extent Poser. If their initial experience with Carrara is extremely negative compared to what they are used to, then they typically won't hang around long enough to learn about all the other awesome stuff you can do with Carrara. For long time users of Carrara, fixing mats/shaders on DAZ/Poser content isn't a big deal, but for new users that come from DS (or Poser) where everything is pretty much load/pose/render, it can be a huge deal (well, it's usually really not that easy - but it is getting close).

Have any of you looked at the latest RC of Studio? Huge improvements in many departments - look out big brother, little brother is catching up fast!

DS is the center piece for DAZ 3D's version of the "Gillette Razor Marketing Plan", so it should be expected that it will get the most attention, as it is free and much easier to learn than Carrara, and therefore it encourages more people to purchase/use DAZ 3D content. Since we don't know what content sales are for Carrara users/owners, it's hard to even guess how Carrara fits into DAZ 3D's marketing/business plan. But I would guess if it was clear that Carrara users were also huge content purchasers/users then Caarrara would get more attention. Obviously I don't have any idea as to the Carrara users habits with regards to purchasing/using DAZ 3D content. From many of the posts in this forum, I get the impression that many Carrara users here don't use/purchase a lot of content (or as much as many of the DS users). So it is very possible that Carrara isn't viewed as a great revenue generator for DAZ ..... or not ;-) ....... because I really don't know.

Sorry for the loooooooog post - but you got me to thinking, and that is always dangerous!

• de3ande3an Posts: 915
    edited December 1969

dustrider said:
    Since we don't know what content sales are for Carrara users/owners, it's hard to even guess how Carrara fits into DAZ 3D's marketing/business plan. But I would guess if it was clear that Carrara users were also huge content purchasers/users then Carrara would get more attention.

Come to think of it, does DAZ even know how much of their content sales can be attributed to Carrara users? Sure, they know which of their customers have purchased Carrara, but I would bet that most of those customers have also downloaded DAZ Studio (I have). So if most Carrara owners are also Studio owners, how could DAZ possibly determine how much content is sold purely for use in Carrara?
    I suspect that the only real indication of content use in Carrara would be found here in the DAZ forums and Gallery. If this is true, and if DAZ is actually watching for this kind of usage, then I guess it would behoove us to post lots of images using content, even if we don't like content.

• SileneUKSileneUK Posts: 1,970
    edited December 1969

de3an said:
    dustrider said:
    Since we don't know what content sales are for Carrara users/owners, it's hard to even guess how Carrara fits into DAZ 3D's marketing/business plan. But I would guess if it was clear that Carrara users were also huge content purchasers/users then Carrara would get more attention.

Come to think of it, does DAZ even know how much of their content sales can be attributed to Carrara users? Sure, they know which of their customers have purchased Carrara, but I would bet that most of those customers have also downloaded DAZ Studio (I have). So if most Carrara owners are also Studio owners, how could DAZ possibly determine how much content is sold purely for use in Carrara?
    I suspect that the only real indication of content use in Carrara would be found here in the DAZ forums and Gallery. If this is true, and if DAZ is actually watching for this kind of usage, then I guess it would behoove us to post lots of images using content, even if we don't like content.

I wonder if a survery sent to Platinum Club members might help... if you have PC, I'd guess you are a serious purchaser of content. And they'd be able to more easily manage contacting them and then analysing the responses as to how they use their purchases.

Just thinking....... :roll: Silene

• stringtheory9stringtheory9 Posts: 411
    edited November 2014

I bought Carrara Pro 8.5 in November one year ago. I had downloaded and tried Daz3D Studio the month before as an evaluation I was doing while looking for a program to make a movie I had in my head. At the time, I had spent about a month evaluating a number of different programs (source Filmmaker, Iclone, Daz3D Studio and a few I don't remember the names of). All had some issue that was a show stopper for me. I then found Carrara by following the "professional" link on the Daz home page. Over the last year I have spent $1601.46 on contet from Daz. Had Carrara not been listed on the home page I doupt I would have discovered it and would most likely have supported some other company this last year. I do not use Daz3D Studio and If my copy of Carrara vanished today I would still not. Not that there is anything wrong with it... it's just not the right tool for my needs. In the grand scheme of things I can't know how valuable a $1600 a year customer is to Daz but I do know that if I was running my own 3D company I certainly would prefer them to be one of my customers rather than someone else's.

Post edited by stringtheory9 on
    edited December 1969

DAZ 3D does intense sales comparisons and such and, yes... little brother (DS) has actually surpassed Carrara in a number of areas - but those areas are not where I, nor many other Carrara users, feel to be the most important in an all-around 3D package. I've yet to try Vue, but since I've found that I can achieve my goals in Carrara, I guess I may never have to. Kind of a shame, because it does look cool. One day, perhaps I'll install Bryce and Vue just to try them out for the fun of it.
    It is already known that many Carrara users are also content buyers. The thing is, DAZ Studio is a very 'focused' application.They have always known where they wanted to go next with it, simply by pushing forward with what they've wanted the last time. Carrara is so vast in scope, that a good portion of developmental progress must happen very much behind the scenes. What are users asking for? Where are the trends going, and how feasible is it to add/tweak such trends into the software? etc., etc.,
    So I can imagine that development for Carrara requires several meetings gathered from those whom are constantly busy pushing forward in their daily toils, so that there is that lengthy process between product assessment, prioritizing fixes and tweaks, new implementations and features discussions, and then finally allocating resources for development.
    True, in comparison to dedicated software development companies, Carrara is truly on a slow moving path. Since DAZ makes so much more revenue from content than anything else, and DS already has tools to help artists turn assets into content - no matter the 3d software, it only makes sense to keep pushing that to the hilt. Carrara, while a much better product for many of us, is still more of a novelty item, and we are truly a minority.

I really do think that it's cool that DAZ 3D has at least kept Carrara, Bryce and Hexagon alive, by keeping them in the market for those of us, in that minority, really want or need those tools to remain available. I'd love to see Bryce and Hex get some lovin' too, and feel bad for those who have been begging for it, yet haven't seen anything in many years now. At least Carrara has been selling well enough to maitain at least some development. And if the majority of Carrara users all stood up and said: "Down with DAZ content - we just want Carrara", then DAZ 3D, as a company, would have much less value for delivering developmental strategies towards Carrara. Development is expensive stuff!

• GarstorGarstor Posts: 1,411
    edited December 1969

Roygee said:

I agree. It is one reason that I still use Carrara (admittedly less frequently these days). It does make volumetric clouds, terrain and oceans pretty damn fast -- faster than LightWave (still have much to learn there though).

• tbwoqtbwoq Posts: 238
    edited November 2014

tbwoq said:
    Future of Carrara. As long as it is in the store, Carrara is alive and well. Though I would say it appears to be on a very unusual limbo atm. Hope someone from DAZ steps in with some official news.

... Carrara gives me so much more freedom to create unique art ...

This ^

I believe DAZ is missing many opportunities to make easy money with Carrara/content in both professional and hobbiest markets. Hope all these new restructuring or changes help Carrara development.

Its not well, stuff still is broke and unfixed and we are almost 2 years overdue being charged for.. Carrara 8.75

I meant from a store standpoint it is well, or at least it was when I replied. Given the new site update after a week, if Carrara isn't important enough to put on a home page of the store that sells it, then I don't see how it can be well or improved. Agree, in a development/bug fix sense it was not well.

Post edited by tbwoq on
    edited December 1969

Garstor said:
    Roygee said:

I agree. It is one reason that I still use Carrara (admittedly less frequently these days). It does make volumetric clouds, terrain and oceans pretty damn fast -- faster than LightWave (still have much to learn there though).DAZ 3D sure does make some great e-dolls though! LOL

===================================================================================================

I like how I can go into Carrara and do just about anything I want - make any kind of picture I feel like making. I really is the only software I know of that has all of these cool tools in one workshop. So freaking cool!

• CoolBreezeCoolBreeze Posts: 207
    edited December 1969

Garstor said:
    Roygee said:

I agree. It is one reason that I still use Carrara (admittedly less frequently these days). It does make volumetric clouds, terrain and oceans pretty damn fast -- faster than LightWave (still have much to learn there though).

DAZ 3D sure does make some great e-dolls though! LOL

===================================================================================================

I like how I can go into Carrara and do just about anything I want - make any kind of picture I feel like making. I really is the only software I know of that has all of these cool tools in one workshop. So freaking cool!

Well said!

Carrara is the only toolbox out there that truly lets my imagination come alive, and to be able to translate whats in my imagination into a tangible form that can be shared with others. Since Carrara 6, i've never looked back.

And yeah I very much hope Carrara stays alive and continues to see development and updates.

edited December 1969

I'll play the part of the cranky, old b*stard then. I'll use Carrara to quickly setup some props and render them. But being creative from-scratch and doing all the modeling in Carrara? Not a snowball's chance in Hades.

Sure, Carrara modeling/shading is vastly easier than writing out the Scene Description Language in POV-Ray (where I started). Go check that out if you are curious -- it is educational...but painful...

But the Carrara modeling tools are so far behind the times now... Don't get me started on the annoying "little" bugs in the rest of the program. All of that builds up into a monster that saps my creativity away. I end up being angry at Carrara rather than creating what's in my head.

It's been said by me and others repeatedly. DAZ does not appear to give a tinker's dam about Carrara. I fully expect it to die a quiet death, save for the hardcore hangers-on (Hi Dart! ;-) ).

If you enjoy Carrara, knock yourself out. Have fun and enjoy it. For me, it is a tool of ever-decreasing usefulness.

edited December 1969

Funnily enough, I am almost the opposite of how Garstor feels! I do create stuff from scratch all the time in Carrara, and don't really feel limited by the toolset. Yes there are bugs in the program - show me an application of any complexity that does not - but they tend to be minor annoyances for me rather than getting in the way too much. And the availability of alternative render engines - first Luxus and then Octane - has breathed new life into it (not to mention my discoveries related to gamma correction which has really enhanced my output from the native Carrara renderer). I am so used to it now and feel so comfortable using it, I can be more productive than using anything else. As to the future, I have confidence that DAZ has not finished with it just yet. If they made just a few changes, it would make a wonderful content creation tool for Daz Studio (as an example). I am currently working on a significant commercial animation project and it will all be done in Carrara.

edited December 1969

Oh oh, I'm doing battle with the illustrious Phil! (No hard feelings chummer, drinks on me when I get around to visiting England!) :lol:

PhilW said:
    Funnily enough, I am almost the opposite of how Garstor feels! I do create stuff from scratch all the time in Carrara, and don't really feel limited by the toolset. Yes there are bugs in the program - show me an application of any complexity that does not...

I'm not talking about those kinds of bugs. As a former coder, I understand that aspect of programming. Bugs are ever-present. I'm referring to stuff that proper testing should have revealed long before the product was ever released. My biggest one, what instantly boosts my blood-pressure, is renaming objects.

Say, I model up some vertex object for my scene. I rename "Vertex Object" into "My Awesome Thing." Now I am in the assembly room and I want to adjust my camera or move "My Awesome Thing" into place. Press "r" to rotate it. Nothing. Press "r" again because you should always send the same command to the stupid computer more than once right?

Nothing.

Then you see it. The text box focus has remained on the object name. Carrara doesn't know you want to rotate your object. But it has helpfully renamed "My Awesome Thing" into "rrrrrrr" for you!

Having to make an extra mouse click somewhere to force the focus off the text box is really annoying and completely unintuitive. Sure, it is a very little thing in the grand scheme. But it adds up and it happens again and again and again. As a former programmer, I can all but guarantee that this would take less than 15 minutes to fix-up. Hell, I would pay DAZ for Carrara version 8.51 if this one thing were all that was changed in the program!

Need I mention the super helpful "An error has occurred" dialogue box? That one runs a near second-place on my annoyances list.

PhilW said:
    And the availability of alternative render engines - first Luxus and then Octane

I am planning on buying Octane when I build my new server (in the very near future). Admittedly, it will be for LightWave at first. But I won't rule out Octane for Carrara. In fact, I wanted to open a discussion with you on your server specs and what kind of performance you typically see in Octane.

As to the future, I have confidence that DAZ has not finished with it just yet. If they made just a few changes, it would make a wonderful content creation tool for Daz Studio (as an example).

Maybe you are privy to some internal information then. If not, what public evidence do you see that inspires this confidence? I can make one concession on that -- the monthly Carrara contests. DAZ (and the other PA sponsors) get a thumbs up from me there. But that is fairly recent and remains tightly limited to the "in-crowd."

Carrara would make an excellent D|S content creation tool. DAZ sure doesn't market it that way.

I really try not to engage in this negativity. I know the forums were plagued in the past with it. Those days should stay in the past. Truthfully, I'd love to see Carrara become more than it is -- it doesn't have to knock Maya off its top perch to do that. I like that there is a 3D tool on the lower-end of the price spectrum that can do all that Carrara does. I just want to see it get a shiny polish and fix up those annoyances.

Cheers mate! </ clink glasses of appropriate libations>

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,964
    edited December 1969

Has anyone seen this thread .... It's hiding http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/48629/

edited December 1969

head wax said:
    Has anyone seen this thread .... It's hiding http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/48629/

BOOM! No I have not. Reading now. Thanks!

• SileneUKSileneUK Posts: 1,970
    edited December 1969

head wax said:

Why wasn't this posted on the date it's dated? Shows only a few mins ago, not the 11th of November.

Going to check it out..thanks¬

:gulp: Silene

• ProPoseProPose Posts: 527
    edited December 1969

Installed already WoHoo
    New version of Daz Studio as well

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125
    edited December 1969

The fix for duplicate with symmetry is a big deal to me.

• That Other PersonaThat Other Persona Posts: 381
    edited November 2014

Good to see that there is some motion!

Is there a 9 in the future? heh heh

Post edited by That Other Persona on
    edited December 1969

Good news on the Carrara Beta!

Garstor - you made me laugh when you referred to my "server spec" - I use a laptop, have done for years! I got this one last year so it is fairly up to date and pretty powerful, including a NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M graphics card. I think when I got it, Octane for Carrara had been announced but not yet even private Beta, but I made sure it had a card suitable for using Octane as and when it came along, as you can't really retro-fit anything to a laptop.

• JoeMamma2000JoeMamma2000 Posts: 2,615
    edited December 1969

Sorry to dredge up an old thread, but I was searching for some real information on the future of Carrara.

I, and I'm sure most people in this forum, agree that Carrara has some nice qualities, as does most software out there. Or else nobody would buy them. :)

But I'm wondering if anyone has any real, official information from DAZ on the future of Carrara. Looks like this latest beta, over a year since 8.5 was released I believe, has only a couple improvements to, you guessed it, content management. And a handful of bug fixes, which IMO don't really inspire much confidence. :)

In the last year or so, has DAZ Studio received a lot more development efforts than Carrara, like in the past?

Again, we all agree Carrara is a nice program. But that doesn't mean it will be developed in the future. I was hoping at least they would clean up the dynamic cloth so it will collide with moving objects and stuff like that. That's a pretty big feature to have almost useless for so long. And the list of features that are decades behind the times is pretty long.

Sorry to those who think I'm being negative.

• argus1000argus1000 Posts: 701
    edited December 1969

Carrara is fine for my needs. Daz has added over the years things like dynamic hair, bullet physics, 3D paint, multi-pass rendering, etc, etc... , all with wonderful access to Daz content. I haven't even inventoried all. The list is pretty long.

• CarltonMartinCarltonMartin Posts: 147
    edited December 1969

Sorry to dredge up an old thread, but I was searching for some real information on the future of Carrara.

Sorry to those who think I'm being negative.

I don't think you're going to get answers. They were always rarely given, and have been increasingly so.

edited December 1969

I think that DAZ are clearly working on a new version is a good sign, even if the developments are mainly targeted at content compatibility. If they considered it a dead program, they would not be doing this. It would be great to have further functional developments - and I agree that fixing the dynamic soft body so that it worked fully as a dynamic cloth simulation would be high on my list. But DAZ tend to keep such things close to their chests until they are ready, so you are unlikely to get any sort of official response - even if it would be welcomed.

• msolomonmsolomon Posts: 209
    edited December 2014

I am posting late in this topic but I just wanted to put in my 2 cents. I don't know the future of Carrara but I hope it is a bright one. I don't know how many pros are using Carrara but I use it to make a living daily. It would be nice to hear from other Carrara pros. I realize I have said all this before but when I hear some asking if Carrara is worth the investment of time and money admitting I use it as a primary 3D tool professionally is a pretty convincing statement. I have used the big industry standards but I prefer Carrara over them. Carrara is certainly not dead.

This is a book trailer. I modeled the character and shoe in Carrara as well as many of the other props. I also used a lot of Daz stuff and other models. Animating in Carrara is very Intuitive.
    http://youtu.be/-goQr5ZQDe4

Another trailer ( I really enjoy doing trailers and teasers). I use video as texture maps a lot.
    http://youtu.be/oLxOGq2_6nM

I create a lot of animated videos. These have become our bread and butter.
    http://youtu.be/GvywDXNUoPw

Post edited by msolomon on