Carrara Challenge #58 - It's a Kind of Magic - WIP thread.

Comments

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,927

Diomede said:

Stezza, that is brilliant.  I especially like the sun.  So cool.

ah the Sun! How could I miss the sun - seeing it is pouring here :)

edited June 2021

Here's a small tip for rendering. It must have something to do with Carrara's cache.

Often I do a small render - say 120 pixels wide or less - before a large render. If you do this then the second render (most times)  will be much quicker than it would have been.

As a kind of oblique example, I rendered this at full size after rendering it smaller. Render time 45 seconds. I then rendered it again at t he full size - the render time was now 11 seconds!!

This WIP uses reflected caustic light to light the boat hull. The light is set to just light the ocean and not the hull - so you can see  it gives a weird glow.

Ocean and wake by PhilW.

Sky is a sky Ringo sky adjusted - Realistic Sky 002 in his  Carrara skies set.  RM Realistic Sky Presets | Daz 3D

41secondsto11seconds.jpg
    1200 x 750 - 375K
    Post edited by Headwax on

Image worked up .... "There was a flash on the bow and Mathew felt his body being lifted from the boat." - working caption.

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 7,757

Stezza said:

wowsers!!

some very cool images already...

this one I used all the models & one image freebie available in the freebie thread as of today's posting date and came up with this image

Bush Magic

Fabulous !!!

Headwax said:

Image worked up .... "There was a flash on the bow and Mathew felt his body being lifted from the boat." - working caption.

Very nice !!!

edited June 2021

Thorny Devil

WIP

Render

CC58 ThornyDevil 1 WIP.png
    2278 x 1036 - 784K
    CC58 ThornyDevil 1.png
    1600 x 1200 - 1M
    Post edited by Bunyip02 on
  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,085
    edited June 2021

Headwax - thanks for the cache rendering tip.  Love the little details like the extra light lines where the boat and ocean touch.  Expression is priceless as the boy levitates.

Bunyip - cool critter, like how you texture the foreground terrain to match the background.  maybe a little lighter shade?  Or, maybe better to place some filler like very small bush to obscure part of line of back edge of terrain?  Neither important, just thoughts.

mschack - thanks for the butterfly wings.  I can't figure out why the butterfly wings made me think of a certain black magic woman video?

Post edited by Diomede on
  • MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

is there some kewl special FX plugin?

giving some thought to skin special effects, like i am dragon.  glowy strings float off him when he's transforming.  is very pretty.

mebbe geoshells, displacement maps of confetti.  a semi transparent shroud.  i've seen the table cloth tutorial. cant think of how to make it bunch around his contours.

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

Diomede said:

Headwax - thanks for the cache rendering tip.  Love the little details like the extra light lines where the boat and ocean touch.  Expression is priceless as the boy levitates.

Bunyip - cool critter, like how you texture the foreground terrain to match the background.  maybe a little lighter shade?  Or, maybe better to place some filler like very small bush to obscure part of line of back edge of terrain?  Neither important, just thoughts.

mschack - thanks for the butterfly wings.  I can't figure out why the butterfly wings made me think of a certain black magic woman video?

i've always liked that song.  puts me in a 'zone'  lol

garde de vida makes me think butterflies.  then i think garden de yoda.  i know.  lol

another black magic goodie

Bunyip02 said:

Thorny Devil

WIP

r eminds me of the mountain devils (hakea seed pods) they used to sell at the bottom of the train thing at the three sisters!!

always amazed me there were mountain devils there when i was a kid :)

Render

Diomede said:

thanks Bunyip02 and Diomede for commenting :)

Love Black Magic woman - you planning on rendering her ?

edited June 2021

Mystiara said:

is there some kewl special FX plugin?

giving some thought to skin special effects, like i am dragon.  glowy strings float off him when he's transforming.  is very pretty.

mebbe geoshells, displacement maps of confetti.  a semi transparent shroud.  i've seen the table cloth tutorial. cant think of how to make it bunch around his contours.

you could try putting in two M4's and conforming one to the other then changing a few paremeters on the conformed one ? Nice find on the video clip!

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,233

Holy WOW!!!

I just found this thread and Look at it already!!! Bravo!!!

What a great opening post to this thread, HW! It's a magical read all in it's own!

Hmmm... thinking cap....

Dartanbeck said:

Holy WOW!!!

I just found this thread and Look at it already!!! Bravo!!!

What a great opening post to this thread, HW! It's a magical read all in it's own!

Hmmm... thinking cap....

thanks Dart :) looking forward to seeing what comes out of that cap!

edited June 2021

something in progress _ yesterday I renderd out a whole lot of bulb lighting effects with transparent back grounds - I used them in the lighting map for this one and also in the glow channel of the ball .

hair and beard are Carrara hair

Untitled-1.jpg
    1147 x 612 - 245K
  • StezzaStezza Posts: 7,814

sorry getting back late, been struck down with a virus... had Covid infected Victorians visit our area the other week and then I got this.. panic stations.. with pop up clinics and all

anyways, got tested returned negative but still feel crappy..

thanks for the comments yes smiley

Stezza said:

sorry getting back late, been struck down with a virus... had Covid infected Victorians visit our area the other week and then I got this.. panic stations.. with pop up clinics and all

anyways, got tested returned negative but still feel crappy..

thanks for the comments yes smiley

glad you are still with us! no need to apologise

edited June 2021

And then the Wizard said...

attached is prepost work

withM42prepost.jpg
    2000 x 2763 - 2M
    edited June 2021

For the above image I previoulsy rendered out some bulb lighting effects with an alpha channel.

I used this one on a bulbe (Tiled the texture) to get the spotted lighting for the room.

I also put the same texture in the glow channel of the little sphere.

I also used the effects in post to get the light effects on the floating sphere.

Hair and beard is by Carrara. 

In the original image on the bottom right m4's leg is sticking out. To fix this I hid it later and did a spot render lit with 20 percent ambient of the area and pasted it over my image to hide the wayward leg.

SPOT RENDER

MATERIAL DIFFUSE PASS

Used Glare in the scene settings which is why his beard is weird on the  front.

I also rendered out different passed (eg primitif pass) so I had more control of how the beard looked in post. I copied bits of the beard to give him eyebrows.

I also used a material diffuse pass to bring back textures that vanished in the 'beauty' render. You can see his wird leg in that render. Also the beard and hair don't show which is why you need a render pass with them in.

also attached is the post effect pass showing what parts of the scene the Glare effect effects.

POST EFFECT PASS

BlueFlash.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 462K
    withM42_MaterialDiffuse.jpg
    2000 x 2763 - 3M
    withM42_PostEffect.jpg
    2000 x 2763 - 170K
    spotrender.jpg
    2000 x 1234 - 1M
    scene.jpg
    2000 x 1087 - 2M
    edited June 2021

Headwax - excellent wizard, love the expression on his face !

Diomede - thanks for the feedback, bushes added as well as a Zebra Finch !

CC58 ThornyDevil 2.png
    1600 x 1200 - 2M
    Post edited by Bunyip02 on

Thanks Bunyip02! your  latest iteration really makes a huge difference.

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,233

Headwax said:

something in progress _ yesterday I renderd out a whole lot of bulb lighting effects with transparent back grounds - I used them in the lighting map for this one and also in the glow channel of the ball .

First of all... that is Waaay Coool!!!

Second, what do you mean, used them in the lighting map? In the render room, scene background, something else?

Signed:

Very intrigued!

edited June 2021

sorry dart, pretty simple, just put a map in the gel section of the light bulb - adds interest because light is more scattered - also did it because I could make the original maps in carrara

here's a few with one light bulb, then  two, then three, all in the same place with different maps,

if you twist the bulb then that bulb's maps get out of sinc with the others and could make interesting effects???

Untitled-1.jpg
    1488 x 1009 - 315K
    Untitled-2.jpg
    1433 x 1145 - 465K
    Untitled-3.jpg
    1548 x 1267 - 597K
    Untitled-4.jpg
    1578 x 1149 - 830K
    zip
    zip
    simplelighteffect.zip
    edited June 2021

The Magic Duckling

I don't use genesis much because the kid is just under half a gig.... the soft light on yonder background is from a cone effect on a spotlight

I used the object pass to separate the kid from the background and add some dof

copied that background part and changed the parameter to 'screen' to get a bring the kid to the front

filled in the gap between his legs with pseudo clothes because it look weird

reduced his cheeckbones, his eyelashes and the wierd shadow on his cheekbone in post

prepost and scene attached

Untitled-1.jpg
    2000 x 1340 - 1M
    boywithducPRPOST.jpg
    2000 x 2347 - 3M
  • UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588

Stezza said:

Bush Magic

Well done!  Looks like a scavenger hunt.

edited June 2021

Headwax said:

Aetheric lighting.  Terrific postwork.  Wish his feet were up in the air, as it would make the levitation more obvious.

Post edited by UnifiedBrain on
    edited June 2021

Headwax said:
    And then the Wizard said...

Great character!  Love that spindly hair.  Great textures and creative lighting splotches.

edited June 2021

Bunyip02 said:

Headwax - excellent wizard, love the expression on his face !

Diomede - thanks for the feedback, bushes added as well as a Zebra Finch !

+1 on the background additions.  What an interesting critter.  Wish there was some eye reflection or shininess.  I initially thought the eye was one of the bumps on his head.  Nope - it is closer to the front.

Headwax said:

The Magic Duckling

Classic HW. Magical indeed, really good work.  Maybe that left sleeve could be a bit lower.

Thank you UB , yes legs up in air and sleeve fix is terriic idea, thanks :) !