Carrara Challenge #58 - It's a Kind of Magic - WIP thread.

Comments

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,927
    edited June 2021

The Magician Boy

Used a seperate render with just star gel maps on a bulb and overlayed that on the original render to make the lighting more interesting

Used Affinity Pro tone mapping and material diffuse pass to bring out the detail I'd lost in the 'beauty' pass

Prepost and Scene 

MagicianBoy.jpg
    2000 x 1583 - 2M
    scene1.jpg
    2000 x 1229 - 2M
    Post edited by Headwax on

Final crop for this one.

Back story: " 

After Elijah's out of body experience (which to be totally honest, scared the daylights out of him) he decided to stay home.

But his parents, amateur archaeologists, had three weeks before taken a trip to Gilead in Ancient Palestine, looking for for their family roots.

Home alone, boredom threatened Elijah.

One night, in a fit of angst, he even found himself in his father's library. There, under the shelf of "Teach Yourself the Organ" books, he discovered a book entitled "Magick For Beginners".

He grasped the book with trembling hands. 'This was it,' he thought. 'I've finally found my calling.'

Unfortunately he hadn't."

edited June 2021

Timeline announced in  first post of thread - thanks to all who have commented and done wip's so far!

Great to have such a sense of community!

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,085

Just an FYI on my projects.  I currently have 4 in the works even though I have only posted WIPs for 2.

1 - crystal ball with 360 render inside (see freebies)

2 - classic sleight of hand at a county fair (performed on top of barrel, see freebies)

3 - some lighting and camera magic with my old cyclopstritch

4 - a magical scene from a classic piece of literature to be named later

Thanks for the heads up, was getting lonely in here.

• UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588

Stezza said:

Have a Break

This one I rendered out the image then hid the foreground models and rendered again to combine in post in PSE20

I modelled all but Harpet the clown, the cow and terrain n tree.. also used Darts starry sky.

Strange, but in a good way.  Very creative and moody composition.

Headwax said:

Like with Stezza, another creative composition.  The lights really warmed it up.  Did you use tone mapping?

Headwax said:

Timeline announced in  first post of thread - thanks to all who have commented and done wip's so far!

Thanks for the timeline.  I will have time to enter for sure.

edited June 2021

RE: 4 - a magical scene from a classic piece of literature to be named later

Here is a WIP for the setting for this one.   It will look better after I add plants etc.  But this is just how I made the terrains. This story has a scene with a stream cascading down next to a natural stair to the place where the characters have their magical moment.  To create the base set, I am using 4 Carrara terrains based on heightmaps created in an image editor and modified with Carrara's terrain modeler filters.  

Terrain 1 - base background terrain of a steeply falling land with a channel for a stream next to a stair.  A channel for the stream was created by stacking a heightmap that is all white except for a black line for the stream.  This heightmap is imported on top of the base terrain.  Apply terrain shader.  For this WIP, I used a multi channel mixer with two default terrain sahders using slope as the blender.

Terrain 2 - water for background terrain.  This is the same as terrain 1 except without the stream heightmap.  Adjust terrain 2 in Z axis to fill the stream channel to desired level.  Used water shader.

Terrain 3 - stream bed.  Duplicate of terrain 2 but slightly lower in Z axis.  Used mud shader.

Terrain 4 - foreground created with terrain modeler adjusting the plateau filter.  In this WIP, same shader as terrain 1.

mirror scene director camera.jpg
    1746 x 988 - 162K
    mirror scene production frame.jpg
    1787 x 968 - 206K
    mirror scene staircase.jpg
    1327 x 867 - 66K
    mirror test render.jpg
    800 x 450 - 44K
    Post edited by Diomede on
  • StezzaStezza Posts: 7,814

UnifiedBrain said:

Stezza said:

Have a Break

This one I rendered out the image then hid the foreground models and rendered again to combine in post in PSE20

I modelled all but Harpet the clown, the cow and terrain n tree.. also used Darts starry sky.

Strange, but in a good way.  Very creative and moody composition.

yep, I'm with you.. totally strange laugh

and I have no idea why I did it ..... which is weird cool 

Headwax said:

Final crop for this one.

Back story: " 

After Elijah's out of body experience (which to be totally honest, scared the daylights out of him) he decided to stay home.

But his parents, amateur archaeologists, had three weeks before taken a trip to Gilead in Ancient Palestine, looking for for their family roots.

Home alone, boredom threatened Elijah.

One night, in a fit of angst, he even found himself in his father's library. There, under the shelf of "Teach Yourself the Organ" books, he discovered a book entitled "Magick For Beginners".

He grasped the book with trembling hands. 'This was it,' he thought. 'I've finally found my calling.'

Unfortunately he hadn't."

I'm waiting for the bunny rabbit to fall off his shoulder!

Russell will be sad if he does wink

and did I mention I love it... reminds me of Little Golden Books images yes 

Diomede said:

ok.. now I'm going to be trying to work it out all day! onya! devil  yes 

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

was just thinking this a good time to update my pointy witchy hat avatar. laugh

got the theme music of bewitched and i dream of jeannie in my head. lol

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 7,757

Stezza - Clown image is awesome !!!

Misty - how's that castle coming along ?

Headwax - love the Gargoyles in the Magick show render !!!

Diomede - looking forward to seeing your 4 renders, terrain coming along nicely !!!

UB - get those entries started !!!

edited June 2021

Sorry for not commenting all along.  Will circle back.

Here is the WIP for my #3 WIP, which I was going to have more of a surprise.  

3 - some lighting and camera magic with my old cyclopstritch

Note that the spot lights that appear in the scene are actually objects. I used light cones to make the emission obvious.  I will be adding the 3 spot obj lighting setup to the freebie thread.

This is not a screengrab.  This is a Carrara render of objects made to look like the Carrara interface, the place where the magic happens.

edited June 2021

And here is a screengrab of the scene setup.

interface WIP test render.jpg
    1600 x 1200 - 105K
    iterface screengrab.jpg
    1883 x 977 - 237K
    edited June 2021

Now I have added a camera object and the instances tray.  More to do.

Camera object added to freebie thread

carrara cyclopstritch scene with camera obj.jpg
    1600 x 1200 - 110K
    WIP JPG Carrara Cyclopstritch top menu.jpg
    1600 x 1200 - 119K

Diomede said:

Now I have added a camera object and the instances tray.  More to do.

Camera object added to freebie thread

pretty impressive, I thought it was a screen grab, thanks for the freebie :)

UnifiedBrain said:

Headwax said:

Thanks for the timeline.  I will have time to enter for sure.

great news!1 looking forwrad to it ;)

yes tone mapping and all sorts of stuff that I cant' remember! The tone mapping brings out the underexposed parts. Also probably superimposed a diffuse texture pass to bring back lost textures??

thanks Bunip and Stezza :)

Diomede said:

Here is a WIP for the setting for this one.   It will look better after I add plants etc.  But this is just how I made the terrains. This story has a scene with a stream cascading down next to a natural stair to the place where the characters have their magical moment.  To create the base set, I am using 4 Carrara terrains based on heightmaps created in an image editor and modified with Carrara's terrain modeler filters.  

Terrain 1 - base background terrain of a steeply falling land with a channel for a stream next to a stair.  A channel for the stream was created by stacking a heightmap that is all white except for a black line for the stream.  This heightmap is imported on top of the base terrain.  Apply terrain shader.  For this WIP, I used a multi channel mixer with two default terrain sahders using slope as the blender.

Terrain 2 - water for background terrain.  This is the same as terrain 1 except without the stream heightmap.  Adjust terrain 2 in Z axis to fill the stream channel to desired level.  Used water shader.

Terrain 3 - stream bed.  Duplicate of terrain 2 but slightly lower in Z axis.  Used mud shader.

Terrain 4 - foreground created with terrain modeler adjusting the plateau filter.  In this WIP, same shader as terrain 1.

terrific job on the stream - thanks for the explanation! 

Mystiara said:

was just thinking this a good time to update my pointy witchy hat avatar. laugh

got the theme music of bewitched and i dream of jeannie in my head. lol

just thuinking you should enter your avatar!

edited June 2021

The Magic of Mother Nature

Headwax said:

Life … being able to feel the wind in your hair, to hold a child in your arms, to smell a flower, to walk on a beach, to be aware of the curve of the Earth, to run our fingernails over a rock older than the beginning of  time  –  all of these things, are Magical in one way or another.

What is magic about an old pine tree?

Glad you asked!

Way up in the mountains on the high timberline
    Lives a twisted old tree called the Bristlecone Pine
    The wind there is bitter, it cuts like a knife
    And it keeps that tree holding on for dear life

But hold on it does, standing its ground
    Standing as empires rise and fall down
    When Jesus was gathering lambs to his fold
    The tree was already a thousand years old

My favorite version of the song:

The Bristlecone Pine lives up to 5000 years, and is the world's oldest (nonclonal) tree.  The resin is so dense that even when the tree dies (or parts of it die) it pertifies and lasts for several hundred more years.  A Bristlecone only grows in a harsh environment, as it does not compete well with other kinds of plants.  There are only two know places where it grows, both in the US.

Carrara processes include:

Plant editor

Terrain editor

Surface replicator (rocks)

Text editor

Ivy generator (Fenric)

Realistic sky

Adjustments to the tree trunk were made in the modeling room.  Two distant lights were all that I used.  No HDRI or GI.  Ambient at 12%.

GMIC filters include Basic Color adjustments, Highlight Bloom, and Rain & Snow.

The antelope skull was an OBJ freebie.  The grassy clumps were RDNA if I remember correctly.

No postwork.

The Magic of Mother Nature.png
    1200 x 1389 - 3M
    The Magic of Mother Nature Carrara setup.JPG
    776 x 1044 - 221K
    Post edited by UnifiedBrain on

Wow, what a terrific work Ub. The curve of the textures on the trunk are so convincing. ,masterful  work on the landscape and the composition. You’ve grasped the theme with both hands! 

edited June 2021

The Wizard Thomas Edison Invents The Electrical Light Bulb

some wizard robes from daz, retextured and draped with VWD, rendered the background separately, was going to have some witches in the air still may or maybe not

prepost attached

used tone mapping and colour pass to bring back the lost textures, also 'glare' parameter in scene instance in assembly room

pre post

Wizard1.jpg
    2000 x 2166 - 2M
    scene1.jpg
    2000 x 1083 - 878K
  • mschackmschack Posts: 337
    edited June 2021

All modelled in Carrara, music by Mozart...

magics.png
    1920 x 840 - 540K
    assembly.JPG
    1858 x 1080 - 266K
    Post edited by mschack on
  • MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
    edited June 2021

wip title:  Apprentice practice Fireball spell

stuff used
    native content - moon face and lava ball 
    Nursoda fig Anceata
    medieval brick pbr, hdr oblivian, roman tripod

learned today, applying old poser hand poses, carrara asks left or right laugh

ch58 apprentice practice.jpg
    2560 x 1440 - 3M
    wip apprentice practice.JPG
    1204 x 636 - 150K
    ch58 apprentice practice-1.jpg
    2560 x 1440 - 3M
    Post edited by Mistara on

Headwax said:

Wow, what a terrific work Ub. The curve of the textures on the trunk are so convincing. ,masterful  work on the landscape and the composition. You’ve grasped the theme with both hands! 

Thanks HW!  I went to great lengths in the explanation to justify doing a tree render. :)

edited June 2021

Headwax said:

The Wizard Thomas Edison Invents The Electrical Light Bulb

Awesome lighting and composition.  Great hands and face.  For some reason, I would like to see the raven on the right shoulder also be looking at the light.  But it is already fantastic without making any changes, and I'm sure that changes at this point are a major hassle.

You have completely nailed your own theme. :)

Post edited by UnifiedBrain on

mschack said:

All modelled in Carrara, music by Mozart...

Terrific modeling and creative realism!

Mystiara said:

wip title:  Apprentice practice Fireball spell

Nice lighting and textures.  Starting to look like the old Misty.  Maybe your eyes are getting better?