Carrara Challenge #58 - It's a Kind of Magic - WIP thread.

Comments

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

ya know its nice when ya spend extra time on a detail and someone notices the effort smiley

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,871

I was actually inspired by this topic to render this magic shoppe.

This is the Carrara version but unfortunately Hitfilm often drops frames from Carrara renders and I didn't realise until I had permanently deleted them

not an entry, just me having fun wink

all the renders look awesome BTW heart

sadly it's not easy for me to comment on this forum though I try broken heart

pity the mods simply cannot limit me to the Carrara forum instead, I would actually be quite content with that, no ferals here kiss

i dont understand what there problem is, afaik you've never busted the tos

the thunderdome

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,085

Another progress report for my terrain project.

Here is my previous stage.

edited June 2021

And here is my current update.  More to do.

For this update, I started adding plants.  I used two types of grass.  I replicated some grass plants that I modeled.  I also used Carrara hair to create some grass near the foreground.  I duplicated the terrains, redused resolution, then converted to vertex objects.  Selected where I wanted plants, inverted selection, deleted, and saved the result.  Then I replicated plants on the reduced terrains or grew hair on them. You can find the plants at my Sharecg site.  https://www.sharecg.com/pf/full_uploads.php?division_id=0&pf_user_name=diomede&pn=2&s=dd

aa05 test render.jpg
    1600 x 900 - 268K
    aa01 lo res duplicate of main terrain.jpg
    1900 x 977 - 210K
    aa02 convert to vertex modeler.jpg
    1862 x 947 - 269K
    aa03 choose vertex modeler.jpg
    1197 x 951 - 163K
    aa04 scene setup revised.jpg
    1840 x 957 - 218K
    Post edited by Diomede on

wip  Wizzie

looking for his spare wand.  needs walls.  and magic

wizzie.jpg
    2560 x 2560 - 873K
  • Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 7,757

Diomede said:

For this update, I started adding plants.  I used two types of grass.  I replicated some grass plants that I modeled.  I also used Carrara hair to create some grass near the foreground.  I duplicated the terrains, redused resolution, then converted to vertex objects.  Selected where I wanted plants, inverted selection, deleted, and saved the result.  Then I replicated plants on the reduced terrains or grew hair on them. You can find the plants at my Sharecg site.  https://www.sharecg.com/pf/full_uploads.php?division_id=0&pf_user_name=diomede&pn=2&s=dd

Looking great, I prefer the blue stream that you had in the original render !!!

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 7,757

Mystiara said:

wip  Wizzie

Definately needs a wand and some magic fireflys. Looking good !!!

Carrara fireflies 

time to hit those cripeman tutorials again

edited June 2021

Misty - very cute little wizard guy.  I often refer to Cripeman tutorials.  Miss him.

Bunyip - thanks for the comment on the landscape.  Something I find interesting, the shader for the stream has not been touched.  The reason it looks different is driven by the backdrop/sky used in the scene because the water shader I applied has some reflectivity.

Here is another WIP.  I am struggling with the sky.  I want a starry sky with no moon.  Dart's starry sky, right?  Usually the answer in a case like this (thanks, Dart).  Just not getting the results I want for this particular scene.  So I decided to make a star field and tested dropping in background.  I duplicated a vertex sphere and scaled up the duplicates within the same model.  I replicated some white primitives with white glow on the multilayer sphere.  After making the holder invisible, and background black, I rendered out a 2 x 1 aspect ratio render to be used as a 360 degree starry sky backdrop. The problem again was that the 'stars' were larger than I wanted when instered in my scene background.  Fortunately, the backdrop menu has a tiling option.  In this case, tiling at level 3 got the 'stars' to appear about what I wanted when placed in another scene.  Then I thought about Bunyip's comment about the stream.  So, I started a new empty scene, rendered just my desired sky using tiling but did not do spherical; instead I rendered to same dimensions as my final scene.  In my main scene, I place a blue color in the background so the stream can reflect, and the black/white starfield in the backdrop to appear as the sky.

BOTTOM LINE:  Used starfield render in backdrop to get starry sky, and used blue color in background to get stream color reflection.

More to do - anyone guessed the scene yet?

dd01 test render insert sky backdrop and blue background.jpg
    2000 x 1125 - 225K
    dd02 creating the domes for star field.jpg
    1798 x 992 - 275K
    dd03 insert 360 render in background and tile to correct size stars.jpg
    1807 x 873 - 192K
    Post edited by Diomede on

wip2 wizzie

turbulent lightsphere

wizzie turbulent light sphere.JPG
    914 x 475 - 81K
    turbulent light sphere.jpg
    1024 x 1024 - 90K

Diomede said:

Misty - very cute little wizard guy.  I often refer to Cripeman tutorials.  Miss him.

Bunyip - thanks for the comment on the landscape.  Something I find interesting, the shader for the stream has not been touched.  The reason it looks different is driven by the backdrop/sky used in the scene because the water shader I applied has some reflectivity.

Here is another WIP.  I am struggling with the sky.  I want a starry sky with no moon.  Dart's starry sky, right?  Usually the answer in a case like this (thanks, Dart).  Just not getting the results I want for this particular scene.  So I decided to make a star field and tested dropping in background.  I duplicated a vertex sphere and scaled up the duplicates within the same model.  I replicated some white primitives with white glow on the multilayer sphere.  After making the holder invisible, and background black, I rendered out a 2 x 1 aspect ratio render to be used as a 360 degree starry sky backdrop. The problem again was that the 'stars' were larger than I wanted when instered in my scene background.  Fortunately, the backdrop menu has a tiling option.  In this case, tiling at level 3 got the 'stars' to appear about what I wanted when placed in another scene.  Then I thought about Bunyip's comment about the stream.  So, I started a new empty scene, rendered just my desired sky using tiling but did not do spherical; instead I rendered to same dimensions as my final scene.  In my main scene, I place a blue color in the background so the stream can reflect, and the black/white starfield in the backdrop to appear as the sky.

BOTTOM LINE:  Used starfield render in backdrop to get starry sky, and used blue color in background to get stream color reflection.

More to do - anyone guessed the scene yet?

its low contrast berween light and dark., having trouble seeing it. 

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,927

Mystiara said:

wip  Wizzie

you had me at the lolling tonue Mysty!! Great angle for a little wiz. Tongues must come into play more often in three d work I always forget!

Diomede said:

a classic scene Diomede - reminds me of a mediavel illustration from a Book of Days - without the people of course!

Vegetation and grass superb! Maybe a replicated fog primitif  on the terrain ?

WendyLuvsCatz said:

I was actually inspired by this topic to render this magic shoppe.

This is the Carrara version but unfortunately Hitfilm often drops frames from Carrara renders and I didn't realise until I had permanently deleted them

not an entry, just me having fun wink

another classic Wendy yes you are allowed to have fun :) what other forums are you speaking off btw 

Mystiara said:

wip2 wizzie

turbulent lightsphere

great effect Mystiara - magical :)

@Diomede, thank you for the kind comments on my work!!!

Yes the caustics add to the render time but sometimes not a great deal. I had great success a few years ago with a ballerina scene (15 v4?s) where I made the entire floor of the ball room refceltive , then tweaked the caustics and then rendered without reflections so you werent aware of the floor reflection

sorry to not be around EOFY has caught me!

Thank you for the comments and suggestions, Misty and Andrew.  Always most appreciated.  I will be adding some characters near the birdbath.  Hopefully, I can improve the lighting at that time to emphasize the foreground.  I also hope to add a few more details, such as a small footbridge and flagstones to enhance the stairs next to the stream.

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,814

Diomede said:

coming together very nicely .. great use of Carrara hair and the terrain looks great yes 

Mystiara said:

wip  Wizzie

I don't think we use enough of Nursoda's stuff in Carrara renders... they work so well

keep it coming wink 

edited June 2021

Diomede said:

Stezza said:

Have a Break

This one I rendered out the image then hid the foreground models and rendered again to combine in post in PSE20

I modelled all but Harpet the clown, the cow and terrain n tree.. also used Darts starry sky.

Stezza - killer klowns from outer space - hilarious concept - would not want to tbe the little green person who encounters 

I never thought of that... lol

my idea for the render was a clown at the end of his night gig scaring the kids with his magic tricks and remote controlled model UFOs when an actual  UFO appears and he is none the wiser .. lol .. just worried about the mozzies. laugh

Post edited by Stezza on

Diomede said:

Stezza said:

all these are getting LoRenzo in the dance mood...

Magical Dance Moves using gel lighting and LoRenzo

Setzza - i am always amazed at the little references you include - like the Michael Jackson one glove detail.  Lorenzo has the moves!

phew! lol

got that one in the ballpark .. thanks @Diomede yes 

Dance magic dance.  my brain is hearing David Bowie sing 'dance magic dance'

edited June 2021

now I'm in semi lock down.. my mind is in clusterf@#k mode devil cool

which I guess is no different to any other time

Magic in the City

Modelled the dog, rabbit, hat, wand truck, toilet paper, cow and game board & tokens also used Stonemason's city and 3Du toons V1

Magic in the City.jpg
    900 x 675 - 630K
    magicinthecity.jpg
    1546 x 791 - 285K
    Post edited by Stezza on
    edited June 2021

and then after doing the above it was into this one...

Why?

modelled the bus and the barrier fence for the side of the road and added the double white lines.

Tortoise was from daz Store and the chook from CP when it was there, the road I can't remember where I got that from but I retextured it anyways. The bus stop isn't a bus stop but a prop from the Japan Gardens as is the rock. Used surface replicators for the trees and grass and Kramp is Nursoda's from Renderosity.

Why.png
    900 x 675 - 937K
    why_wip.jpg
    1499 x 944 - 244K
    Post edited by Stezza on

Stezza said:

now I'm in semi lock down.. my mind is in clusterf@#k mode devil cool

which I guess is no different to any other time

Magic in the City

Modelled the dog, rabbit, hat, wand truck, toilet paper, cow and game board & tokens also used Stonemason's city and 3Du toons V1

that's abolutly bwilliant Stezza! I am in awe - terrific idea and execution 

ah the old cluster#%^&**&^ under the bed trick. 

we'll be okay as long as we don't breathe, laugh, dance or sing!

have a pfizer booked 19th june thinking might just drop in on them!

Stezza said:

and then after doing the above it was into this one...

Why?

modelled the bus and the barrier fence for the side of the road and added the double white lines.

Tortoise was from daz Store and the chook from CP when it was there, the road I can't remember where I got that from but I retextured it anyways. The bus stop isn't a bus stop but a prop from the Japan Gardens as is the rock. Used surface replicators for the trees and grass and Kramp is Nursoda's from Renderosity.

Kramp is calling on Nosfertau for an appearence - kweepy as!

• ed3Ded3D Posts: 1,989

~  And

2Sub-Marine 1DL AF 2Fbc.png
    1920 x 1010 - 209K
    Doc1SPAC-MAGK 1b.png
    1280 x 720 - 190K
    2Sub-Marine 1DL AF 2Fbd.png
    1920 x 1011 - 264K