Sword and Sorcery Fantasy Contest Questions and Discussion

Comments

• We understand that these catch-all clauses can cause anxiety, but the discussion is spinning out a little. Can we take it that the positions have been set out and just wait for daz to respond, here or in response to a direct query, please.

• ChallyIIChallyII Posts: 49

Defo eager to hear what DAZ has to say about social media. I don't really want to go putting things on facebook or creating burner twitter accounts. Hopefully posting in thesite's own gallery here will be acceptable.

• AdenLKAdenLK Posts: 14

Is it serious? Does first place get a 6-month subscription to ZBrush? SINGLE USER 6 MONTH SUBSCRIPTION - $179.95 / 6 Months

It's even funny. A competition where you hope you won't be the winner.

They should give perpetual license. I'm not interested in subscription myself. If I'm the winner, I'll probably decline the premium as I'm not using ZBrush at the moment.

Zbrush 6 month subscription - $179.95
    $500 cash prize (3 winners)
    $200 Daz store credit (3 winners)

Better to be seventh place than first. I would like to know if the winner can give up the first place prize in order to have the second place which is much better. 

• TorquinoxTorquinox Posts: 2,630

PerttiA said:

melissastjames said:

AbyssalEros said:

melissastjames said:

I suppose technically you could still do both, right? :P

Are you really sure that your art still belongs to you after you submitted it with this devil's contract in place? 

I would say yes based on statements I've seen from Daz with similar questions in past contests, but it would be nice if they reconfirm. You give them a right to use your image in their advertising, but it's still your image to post elsewhere or sell to your heart's content. And that's not just with this contest...that's just posting in their gallery in general. They've used several of my images in the past in their advertising and it's A-OK with me...free exposure. One of my images was used for this contest alone, in two places that I know of. Gotta say, it's quite flattering. And I can still sell that image if I so choose. 

They are not just claiming rights to the artwork, but the rule 8 gives them, whoever comes after them, affiliated to them and/or anyone licenced by them to publish and sell your personal information, including your name, portrait, voice and biographical information until the end of times in any current form of media and any and all future medias, without any notice or asking for permission... 

It's troubling enough that I will not enter.

• TorquinoxTorquinox Posts: 2,630
    edited July 2021

AdenLK said:

Is it serious? Does first place get a 6-month subscription to ZBrush? SINGLE USER 6 MONTH SUBSCRIPTION - $179.95 / 6 Months

They should give perpetual license. I'm not interested in subscription myself. If I'm the winner, I'll probably decline the premium as I'm not using ZBrush at the moment.

Better to be seventh place than first. I would like to know if the winner can give up the first place prize in order to have the second place which is much better. 

Agreed. But I don't think you can do that. Section 5 states "No cash or other prize substitution permitted except at Sponsor’s discretion. The prize is nontransferable. Any and all prize related expenses, including without limitation any and all federal, state, and/or local taxes shall be the sole responsibility of the winner."

Post edited by Torquinox on
  • PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,527

AdenLK said:

Makes the competition just more interesting... "I don't want to win..." laugh

edited July 2021

Torquinox said:

AdenLK said:

Agreed. But I don't think you can do that. Section 5 states "No cash or other prize substitution permitted except at Sponsor’s discretion. The prize is nontransferable. Any and all prize related expenses, including without limitation any and all federal, state, and/or local taxes shall be the sole responsibility of the winner."

It says: "except at Sponsors discretion".

So I hope that in this case you can. Because the first place prize is worse than the seventh place is terrible. And who doesn't plan to use ZBrush in the next 6 months? The award like that doesn't make sense. 

Post edited by AdenLK on
  • nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,929

melissastjames said:

AbyssalEros said:

certaintree38 said:

@JamieM it's just a six month subscription. You're better off winning 2nd place.

I would say you are better off not participating at all and try to sell your art in a shady digital back alley as an NFT at the cost of our planet.

PerttiA said:

The rule number 8 raises some eyebrows...

Rights Granted by you: By entering this content you understand that Daz 3D, anyone acting on behalf of Daz 3D, or its respective licensees, successors and assigns will have the right, where permitted by law, without any further notice, review or consent to print, publish, broadcast, distribute, and use, worldwide in any media now known or hereafter in perpetuity and throughout the World, your entry, including, without limitation, the entry and winner’s name, portrait, picture, voice, likeness, image or statements about the Contest, and biographical information as news, publicity or information and for trade, advertising, public relations and promotional purposes without any further compensation.

I suppose technically you could still do both, right? :P

If the 1st place prize is a 6mo subscription to ZBrush, could I, if I were to win, give that away? I already have a perpetual license and get updates for free (so I already have ZBrush 2021).  

Rules say unequivocally, no; but after you take possession and leave DAZ 3D out of it what you do with the zBrush 2021 license it between you, your intended recipient, and Pixologic. Do they allow that or not?

melissastjames said:

AbyssalEros said:

melissastjames said:

AbyssalEros said:

The devil rests here really in the details. Allowing DAZ Productions Inc. to use it for advertisement is one thing. But allowing them to trade (which implies selling for some form of currency - and notice the word "licensees") your art and PERSONAL information for all eternity in any way and to anyone is ... (I am lacking the right word that will not get this post deleted for it.)
    At least in Europe, it is normal that a third party has to acquire the rights from an artist separately to use their art.

What personal information? My forum username? I don't even pay for my site, I use a 3rd party...so what exactly is the fear of them sharing my email address? More spam to delete? Because I have loads of that already...what's a few more crap emails in the mountain I already get every day. 

I just don't get why people freak out about this stuff...likely while on their smartphone that is legit a tracking device and talking to Alexa that is legit a listening device. 

You neglect the fact that if you win, you have to offer them your personal information to get the prices, and already a lot of those are in your account setting—real name, address, and so on.
    Do you have no problem that someone sells this — only to get your 5 minutes of fame?
    And btw, there are still enough people out in the wild who do not use Alexa and her criminal sisters - and care for illegal telemetry gathering.
    And what is allowed or practiced in your country is not necessarily allowed or practiced in other countries. The European Union and other governments are in the process of getting all those companies with shady practices at a leash.

If someone wants my address bad enough, they can get it, regardless of if Daz has it or not. I just can't see the point of living my life wearing a tinfoil hat. The only way to avoid the world is to withdraw from it entirely...meaning no smartphones and no credit cards and no social media. I just can't do that. But, I don't have Alexa, as I already said. I also can't live with a webcam in my house without keeping it pointed at the ceiling or covered with a sock when I'm not using it. 

And again...I want my artwork to be seen. If I only keep it for myself, it might as well stay in my head and I won't waste my time or money putting it to 'paper', so to speak. And I'd much rather trust Daz with it, who actually bothers with legalese, than some shady dude in Russia who just straight up jacks it with a Google Image bot and puts it up for sale on a fly-by-night poster printing page that changes its name regularly rather than dealing with dmca claims. Those are the people we should be worrying about. Even moreso now with the advent of NFT. 

I recently bought a Garmin DriveSmart 65 Dash Navigation with Amazon Alexa and it's the Alexa that takes the navigator from tedious and difficult to use to really very simple, even if I do have to repeat myself sometimes in a more television like fashion because it can't always understand my accent. However, the jury is still out on the navigation routes themselves. It does not like to give the entire set of directions verbally and the verbiage with it does is sometimes in the wrong direction. The paths drawn on the screen have been all correct except one. I think it was because I disallowed U-Turns but that shouldn't cause such navigation failures. Final Word: Keep a large type Atlas in your vehicle that is big enough to read by vehicle interior dome light at night and whose pages are of high enough quality paper so as to not yellow so quiickly. Don't drawn in your atlas but print the steps on plain white notebook paper before your leave for your trip.

The navigator is still fun though if you like all things maps. 

So the promo page has changed, it says now there are three first prices with perpetual licence for Zbrush 2021 as the price, but the rule page still says it's just a 6 month subscription...

• Daz_BryceDaz_Bryce Posts: 12
    edited July 2021

Hey everyone!

To answer a few questions from this thread:

• "Keyframe scene" means the full composition (character + environment) and typically portrays a still or frame that shows a key moment in your narrative
    • For judging we mainly look at composition and proficiency within 3D skill and storytelling, but as we narrow down our selection our judges do look at social media posts as they are linked.
    • If you are not comfortable with posting your art on Facebook, Instagram, or Twitter, you may post your art elsewhere online, so long as you provide a link to it in your submission form. Examples of portfolio sites include DeviantArt, ArtStation, the Daz gallery, etc.
    • Following us on the social platform you post from is a requirement, but if you are posting from a portfolio site such as Artstation or the Daz gallery where you can't do that, we will accept your entry and this won't count against you.
    • Renders should not have been previously posted or shared online before entering the contest. We're looking for new content.
    • There is no limit to the number of submissions per individual. We just ask that you use the same email for each entry. That makes it easier for us to organize the entries on our end.
    • Thanks to all who caught the typos - there will be 9 total prizes, so three winners in each category. The first place prize for each category is a ZBrush Perpetual License. 
    Post edited by Daz_Bryce on
  • benniewoodellbenniewoodell Posts: 1,906

Oh okay, the keyframe makes a lot more sense now, thanks for clearing that up! 

Thank you for clarification, but... With previous contests, it has also been made clear that irrespective of what has been written on the promo page and/or anywhere else, what is written on the rule page, is what eventually stands...

And the rule 8 says, amongst other things that DAZ (or just about anyone remotely connected) can publish the contestants biographical information in any and all current and future medias all over the world until the end of times without any other form of consent that taking part in the contest... 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biography

A biography, or simply bio, is a detailed description of a person's life. It involves more than just the basic facts like education, work, relationships, and death; it portrays a person's experience of these life events. Unlike a profile or curriculum vitae (résumé), a biography presents a subject's life story, highlighting various aspects of their life, including intimate details of experience, and may include an analysis of the subject's personality.

Not exactly the kind of information one would like to be posted all over the world for all times, without even being told about it... The rules don't either limit the amount of personal information to what the contestant has provided with submitting the artwork, but also allows gathering such information through whatever available channels...

• 31415926543141592654 Posts: 968

Many thanks to Daz_Bryce for answering some questions clearly (look a few posts above)!  

But now I have a new one:  the sample images used in the contest description are all realistic in appearance. I am ASSUMING they want realistic and not cartoony, outline, abstracted, or other less than realistic rendering ... which could leave out a lot of creativity.

Daz_Bryce said:

Hey everyone!

To answer a few questions from this thread:

• "Keyframe scene" means the full composition (character + environment) and typically portrays a still or frame that shows a key moment in your narrative
    • For judging we mainly look at composition and proficiency within 3D skill and storytelling, but as we narrow down our selection our judges do look at social media posts as they are linked.
    • If you are not comfortable with posting your art on Facebook, Instagram, or Twitter, you may post your art elsewhere online, so long as you provide a link to it in your submission form. Examples of portfolio sites include DeviantArt, ArtStation, the Daz gallery, etc.
    • Following us on the social platform you post from is a requirement, but if you are posting from a portfolio site such as Artstation or the Daz gallery where you can't do that, we will accept your entry and this won't count against you.
    • Renders should not have been previously posted or shared online before entering the contest. We're looking for new content.
    • There is no limit to the number of submissions per individual. We just ask that you use the same email for each entry. That makes it easier for us to organize the entries on our end.
    • Thanks to all who caught the typos - there will be 9 total prizes, so three winners in each category. The first place prize for each category is a ZBrush Perpetual License. 

Thank you very much for clarifying many questions. With your information everything was much clearer. 

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,876

I am wondering since they have a DAZ_Bryce working for them if he has a softspot for his namesake software cheeky

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

WendyLuvsCatz said:

I am wondering since they have a DAZ_Bryce working for them if he has a softspot for his namesake software cheeky

woww Wendy your youtube channel has 31.6K subscribers

you the kind of participant they'd prolly want most. smiley  a celebrite.

my channel has a measly 25 subscribers  lol

• SnowSultanSnowSultan Posts: 3,507
    edited July 2021

Is there a reason why we're not submitting entries into specific categories?

edit: Also, PLEASE give us a way to look at all of the entries and not only see the winners.

Post edited by SnowSultan on
  • I would love to enter these contests but, I do not do social media nor understand why so many people are still on FB and Twitter giving their whole life over to people that can wreck your world with the flip of a switch. Not to mention FB employees using FB to stalk girls by showing up to places they checked in at. I digressed a bit there. Until they make a contest that does not require social media or section 230 gets revoked  I am out. 

• So, is there a place to view other entries? Just curious. It's always nice to admire other entries. 

• MelissaGTMelissaGT Posts: 2,610
    edited July 2021

cstrauss42a said:

I would love to enter these contests but, I do not do social media nor understand why so many people are still on FB and Twitter giving their whole life over to people that can wreck your world with the flip of a switch. Not to mention FB employees using FB to stalk girls by showing up to places they checked in at. I digressed a bit there. Until they make a contest that does not require social media or section 230 gets revoked  I am out. 

I only use FB for private groups, such as for gaming and Daz stuff. My public profile has nothing to do with my artwork, and only shares cute animals. I don't check in or post about when I'm going on vacation or where I'm going on vacation or engage in arguments in general, especially outside of private groups. I'd worry more about my employer checking up on me and looking at what I like and post and reply to over being stalked. Also throwing it out there that a lot of employers won't give you the time of day if you don't have a social media presence. 

Post edited by MelissaGT on
  • melissastjames said:

cstrauss42a said:

I would love to enter these contests but, I do not do social media nor understand why so many people are still on FB and Twitter giving their whole life over to people that can wreck your world with the flip of a switch. Not to mention FB employees using FB to stalk girls by showing up to places they checked in at. I digressed a bit there. Until they make a contest that does not require social media or section 230 gets revoked  I am out. 

I only use FB for private groups, such as for gaming and Daz stuff. My public profile has nothing to do with my artwork, and only shares cute animals. I don't check in or post about when I'm going on vacation or where I'm going on vacation or engage in arguments in general, especially outside of private groups. I'd worry more about my employer checking up on me and looking at what I like and post and reply to over being stalked. Also throwing it out there that a lot of employers won't give you the time of day if you don't have a social media presence. 

I did not even think about the employer aspect of it. Good thing I have a good-paying job I like and not having a FB I guess take away for them to check up on me. None the less even if you in Private Groups Big Tech still knows everything about you. Every picture you post of yourself has a GPS location attached to it so they know exactly where you are when you took that picture. I'm not ready to live in 1984.

Still, I like to see Contest on this site and others that do not require social media, I get why Daz does it cause it pulls people that may not know what Daz is to their site and I do not fault Daz for that it is good business but it just sad it will exclude a lot of people in the end. 

• MelissaGTMelissaGT Posts: 2,610
    edited July 2021

cstrauss42a said:

melissastjames said:

cstrauss42a said:

I did not even think about the employer aspect of it. Good thing I have a good-paying job I like and not having a FB I guess take away for them to check up on me. None the less even if you in Private Groups Big Tech still knows everything about you. Every picture you post of yourself has a GPS location attached to it so they know exactly where you are when you took that picture. I'm not ready to live in 1984.

Still, I like to see Contest on this site and others that do not require social media, I get why Daz does it cause it pulls people that may not know what Daz is to their site and I do not fault Daz for that it is good business but it just sad it will exclude a lot of people in the end. 

I don't do selfies. Like I said, I really only socialize with gaming groups...like the last several posts I've put up have been in a private Mass Effect group, lol. I don't post anything personal about myself. There are definitely different levels of "social media"...where one can still be on social media while not posting twenty-seven pictures of themselves eating pizza or drinking beer every day. I also don't mind so much Big Tech. If Facebook wants to know I've been searching for a good new custom hair shampoo and then wants to recommend me a brand to try, then cool. I'm all for convenience. Heck, I can't wait for the day we just need to swipe our wrists over the pay scanner rather than digging out my card with a chip that never works as the Karen behind me rolls her eyes because I'm taking too long to pay (three tries with the chip and then a swipe of the strip). Sign me up...I'll take the blue pill. 

Post edited by MelissaGT on
  • LeanaLeana Posts: 11,051

cstrauss42a said:

As mentioned by Daz_Bryce, you don’t have to use social media, posting your entry in Daz gallery is ok.

SnowSultan said:

Is there a reason why we're not submitting entries into specific categories?

edit: Also, PLEASE give us a way to look at all of the entries and not only see the winners.

There is only one category/theme and that is Sword & Sorcery; the other things mentioned where just technical attributes they want the contestant to be mindful of when created the rendered still.

• SnowSultanSnowSultan Posts: 3,507
    edited July 2021

the other things mentioned where just technical attributes they want the contestant to be mindful of when created the rendered still.

Which, with all due respect to the judges, were completely ignored in the last contest. I think lumping everything into one pile might make it tougher for those who are focusing on one attribute (such as an environmental artist) to compete with renders that are more typical and have 'more' to look at, but I guess we'll see.

Post edited by SnowSultan on
  • JamieMJamieM Posts: 353
    edited July 2021

Daz_Bryce said:

i can't work out what the second half of this sentence means. The judges will initially judge your work on its merits but when they need to narrow down the entries they will look at your other messages on social media (or other people's responses?) and somehow use these to measure the quality of your image??? 

Post edited by JamieM on
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,876

I already have Zbrush, not that I would enter, I don't do contests

but

I too was disappointed not to see all the entries from the other ones, I do like looking at other's art, surely it wouldn't have been too hard for DAZ to make a slideshow for their Youtube channel with some nice music, an advertisement for them too.

JamieM said:

Daz_Bryce said:

i can't work out what the second half of this sentence means. The judges will initially judge your work on its merits but when they need to narrow down the entries they will look at your other messages on social media (or other people's responses?) and somehow use these to measure the quality of your image??? 

You as the artist, are part of the package they are going to use in marketing, so maybe they are checking how presentable you are...

The "Official Contest Rules" have still not been changed or even corrected where parts of the rules are contradicting other parts of the same rules