Sword and Sorcery Fantasy Contest Questions and Discussion

Comments

• ANGELREAPER1972ANGELREAPER1972 Posts: 4,413

WendyLuvsCatz said:

I already have Zbrush, not that I would enter, I don't do contests

but

I too was disappointed not to see all the entries from the other ones, I do like looking at other's art, surely it wouldn't have been too hard for DAZ to make a slideshow for their Youtube channel with some nice music, an advertisement for them too.

they showed some of the runners up on their facebook  pageit was interesting and the comments

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,051

JamieM said:

Daz_Bryce said:

• For judging we mainly look at composition and proficiency within 3D skill and storytelling, but as we narrow down our selection our judges do look at social media posts as they are linked.

i can't work out what the second half of this sentence means. The judges will initially judge your work on its merits but when they need to narrow down the entries they will look at your other messages on social media (or other people's responses?) and somehow use these to measure the quality of your image???

I understand that as "popularity will an additional criterium taken into account when deciding how to sort images of similar quality".

• Lothar WeberLothar Weber Posts: 1,611
    edited July 2021

Think i stay on the contests of @Daz_jack_tomalin - they are less complicated and much more fun... without any FB, Tweeter or such... In addition they are more fun for the communtiy, cause we can all see the entries and leave comments ;-)

Just my 2 Cents wink - nuff said.

Post edited by Lothar Weber on
  • scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,316

Lothar Weber said:

Think i stay on the contests of @Daz_jack_tomalin - they are less complicated and much more fun... without any FB, Tweeter or such... In addition they are more fun for the communtiy, cause we can all see the entries and leave comments ;-)

Well only if you are a PC member. 

• scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,316

Lothar Weber said:

• Lothar WeberLothar Weber Posts: 1,611

scorpio said:

Lothar Weber said:

Ups... well that's right. Mmmh. But anyway. Better than to see only the first three ones, or in that case the first 9... ;-) 

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,527
    edited July 2021

Isn't it soon end of work day at Dazland... No change on the "Official Contest Rules" and no answers...

Edit; Half past midnight here, no change... What's going on? Apparently making changes to the promo pages is no problem, but updating incorrect information on the "Official Contest Rules" takes more than two working days...

Post edited by PerttiA on
  • lilweeplilweep Posts: 2,249

they say to tag @insta_daz when posting on social media.

The twitter daz handle is @daz3d (not @insta_daz, that's only the instagram name).  Why would you tag @insta_daz unless you were posting on instagram...  clearly they didnt think that statement through.

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,929
    edited July 2021

JamieM said:

Daz_Bryce said:

• For judging we mainly look at composition and proficiency within 3D skill and storytelling, but as we narrow down our selection our judges do look at social media posts as they are linked.

i can't work out what the second half of this sentence means. The judges will initially judge your work on its merits but when they need to narrow down the entries they will look at your other messages on social media (or other people's responses?) and somehow use these to measure the quality of your image??? 

You? I can't either. It leaves an interpretive opening you could drive a truck through. Not really a good thing.

And the other problem in those rules is that one can't follow DAZ 3D if one only participates in a social media platform that doesn't have a follow mechanism, like DAZ 3D's own DAZ Gallery.

Post edited by nonesuch00 on
  • Silent WinterSilent Winter Posts: 3,636

One Q I've got:
    After posting entries on social media (twitter/insta/DA/etc) can we then repost it elsewhere (such as here in the forums)? -We could then have a thread for sharing our entries (and linking to our social media if we like).

I assume it's okay to post the same image to multiple social media accounts and have it count as one entry (or will that confuse your process?)

Just a reminder... 

The "Official Contest Rules", https://blog.daz3d.com/sword-and-sorcery-fantasy-contest-rules/ are still talking about one first price (Zbrush 6 month subscription) and seven winners.

Still waiting for answers for concerns about the Rule 8, when read and used as it is written...

• richardandtracyrichardandtracy Posts: 5,093
    If Facebook and Twitting count as Social Media, then is this forum Anti-Social Media? ;)

rereading I noticed something amusing of sorts as we are not restricted by the usual tos rules here 

well rule 8 reminds of those phone ads that had pictures of celebs sometimes that you'd ring up and person on other end would talk to you in a certain way about what they were wearing or use or sell your image face to sell advertising for pills or something 

so if say we post our image on facebook and don't get enough likes/comments from our friends that can count against us? Also do our friends get tracked too? Like here I don't do that well on facebook in the likes/comments from friends but I do ok on facebook art groups with likes and comments - BUT thing is many of those groups are private and the only way can see content in many of them is being a member of those groups. I do really pretty well on Deviant Art though with lots of likes, comments, saves and shares but don't think this place would like some of the comments I get, oh and ones uploaded there have added to them deviant watermark

• UncannyValetUncannyValet Posts: 144

ANGELREAPER1972 said:

so if say we post our image on facebook and don't get enough likes/comments from our friends that can count against us? Also do our friends get tracked too? Like here I don't do that well on facebook in the likes/comments from friends but I do ok on facebook art groups with likes and comments - BUT thing is many of those groups are private and the only way can see content in many of them is being a member of those groups. I do really pretty well on Deviant Art though with lots of likes, comments, saves and shares but don't think this place would like some of the comments I get, oh and ones uploaded there have added to them deviant watermark

people actually put deviantart watermarks on their art unironically?

• UncannyValetUncannyValet Posts: 144

Silent Winter said:

One Q I've got:
    After posting entries on social media (twitter/insta/DA/etc) can we then repost it elsewhere (such as here in the forums)? -We could then have a thread for sharing our entries (and linking to our social media if we like).

I assume it's okay to post the same image to multiple social media accounts and have it count as one entry (or will that confuse your process?)

i think posting to as many social media accounts as possible would be in the spirit of the contest.  I mean clearly this is just outsourced advertising campaign masquerading as a contest anyway.

blue said:

ANGELREAPER1972 said:

well I got asked by someone if they could reuse my art with slight changes and for them to claim as their own and in return they said they may credit mention me as creating original so I started doing that so they couldn't as well as then saying or others saying I ripped them off which happens

kinda weird thing to say too that you can enter as many renders as you want so long as it is just as one person and email and not as several differant personas/emails - why would anyone try and do that I mean if you were only allowed one entry per person/email yeah I reckon there would be some try and cheat as several different people with mutiple entries but we can enter as many times as we want unless someone was trying to win all three prizes I guess

still can't see any image restrictions like we do on here so I'm guessing more adult themed even sugestive in their eyes is considered ok if posted elsewhere as an entry and not appearing on this site like what I posted on page 2 of this thread with images from various fantasy artists using what some here refer to as skimpwear.

ANGELREAPER1972 said:

kinda weird thing to say too that you can enter as many renders as you want so long as it is just as one person and email and not as several differant personas/emails - why would anyone try and do that I mean if you were only allowed one entry per person/email yeah I reckon there would be some try and cheat as several different people with mutiple entries but we can enter as many times as we want unless someone was trying to win all three prizes I guess

Maybe the one that posted the rules, didn't read them through...

My dayjob includes reading orders and contracts once the sales has filed them into our system, and the day is yet to come that there wasn't even one, where I didn't have to ask the sales if they bothered to read the contract through, and I've been doing it for 9 years already.

• MelissaGTMelissaGT Posts: 2,610

ANGELREAPER1972 said:

blue said:

ANGELREAPER1972 said:

well I got asked by someone if they could reuse my art with slight changes and for them to claim as their own and in return they said they may credit mention me as creating original so I started doing that so they couldn't as well as then saying or others saying I ripped them off which happens

But why would you not put your own watermark on them, rather than use DA's? I designed my own logo and put it on everything.  

• BronzeDragonBronzeDragon Posts: 381

ANGELREAPER1972 said:

rereading I noticed something amusing of sorts as we are not restricted by the usual tos rules here 

I guess that means we really can do a NVIATWAS render. Great, best kind to do!!!!!

melissastjames said:

ANGELREAPER1972 said:

blue said:

ANGELREAPER1972 said:

But why would you not put your own watermark on them, rather than use DA's? I designed my own logo and put it on everything.  

yeah I could I guess do that too have paintshop pro so that has that tool, lazy me sometimes and there is the option of me removing the da one easily so I can download copy any of my remders then readding it if need be if say I lose everything again from a computer crash . I do add jma1972 on everything but that could probably be cropped out or edited out painted over if skilled enough

BronzeDragon said:

ANGELREAPER1972 said:

I guess that means we really can do a NVIATWAS render. Great, best kind to do!!!!!

well it wouldn't be really sword and sorcery fantasy otherwise really it'd be just labled fantasy like Lord Of The Rings. To me when I think S&S fantasy I think Conan style and artists Like Boris valljo, Julie Bell and such

edited July 2021

oh I got a reply to my questions stupid facebook didn't tell me had anyway kinda sounds we have bit more freedom still sort of restrictions but how i read not as restricted as on here so still need cover certain areas but think for most part not as covering covering as what has to be here so the bikini thingy is ok as are typical fantasy saucer bras

Image1reply.jpg
    2009 x 2346 - 1M
    Post edited by ANGELREAPER1972 on
  • AlmightyQUESTAlmightyQUEST Posts: 1,963
    PerttiA said:

ANGELREAPER1972 said:

Maybe the one that posted the rules, didn't read them through...

My dayjob includes reading orders and contracts once the sales has filed them into our system, and the day is yet to come that there wasn't even one, where I didn't have to ask the sales if they bothered to read the contract through, and I've been doing it for 9 years already.

Or, there are nine prizes going to nine individuals (or seven or whatever the number of prizes actually is), so one person can't win nine times. Using one email for all your entries makes it easier for them to assure that multiple prizes aren't going to the same person.
  • lilweeplilweep Posts: 2,249

melissastjames said:

ANGELREAPER1972 said:

blue said:

ANGELREAPER1972 said:

it's like, surely you'd rather have art "stolen" than to purposely ruin it with a watermark so much so that nobody would even want to steal it in the first place.

the DA watermark is so ugly. 

wonder what possesses people to think it's a good idea.  

PerttiA said:

Just a reminder... 

The "Official Contest Rules", https://blog.daz3d.com/sword-and-sorcery-fantasy-contest-rules/ are still talking about one first price (Zbrush 6 month subscription) and seven winners.

Still waiting for answers for concerns about the Rule 8, when read and used as it is written...

It must be past noon at Dazland... Still no corrections to the rules and no comment about rule 8 

• AlmightyQUESTAlmightyQUEST Posts: 1,963

They need to update the rules for the prizes, definitely, but what makes you think anything about rule 8 is going to change? It's the one they have been using for contests, what would make this one different?