Show us more of your 3Delight renders

Comments

• Sven DullahSven Dullah Posts: 7,621
    edited July 2022

Remember what shader you went with? Dunno, converting is no rocket science, just tedious work. I figure the metal parts are the hardest to get right if using the DS standard shaders. High-gloss dielectic surfaces, not so much...although they require a nice environment to make sense.

Post edited by Sven Dullah on
  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,591

...tedious work, that's the main part, particularly on an item with a lot of detail. The strings indeed were a major issue.  At least the Library already came with 3DL materials as teh default (a separate Iray materials set was released later as was usually the case with a lot of Jack's older sets).  I found it still looked good using the 3DL materials in Iray, the major difference was having to make the bulbs in the lamps emitters..

Converting from 3DL to Iray is much simpler than going in the opposite direction.

edited July 2022

Well atleast the piano does not have a lot of controlmaps, just good solid topology, which I like a lot;) The Library, on the other hand, think I spent several days tweaking stuff. But yeah, pretty nice textures and topology there as well! (And I have my doubts that you could render it with the out of the box 3DL mats and 30 emitter cubes using UberArea light and UberEnvironment in bouncelight mode with proper sample settings in less than 2 hours...) What kinds of rendertimes are we talking about for the Library with IRay?

edited July 2022

...I gave up at around 5 - 6 hours as there was a lot of noise due to all the emissives and ray bounces involved as I was still rendering on the CPU (a 2.8 GHz 4 core 8 thread i7) at the time with only 12 GB of memory (was still several years away form the upgrade I did when I added the Titan-X, the 6 core Xeon, and doubled the memory) so the process went into virtual memory on the HDD which was even slower due to paging. This was just a test of the full set with no characters. 

As I understand the Iray shader update wasn't much better and even with a GPU, reported render times were still very long as the process often exceeded VRAM of the most cards back then  (Maxwell 9xx series and a few of the early Pascal 10xx cards, none of which had  more than 6 GB except the Titan series).

Post edited by kyoto kid on
    edited July 2022

Made a very rough OmUberSurface conversion and loaded IBLM for a quick testrender...about 40 sec;) Took me longer to figure out the IBLM lightsettings LOL, haven't used it for a looong time. With a bit of work should look pretty descent in the right environment. 

Palmgren IBLM OmUberSurface.png
    1920 x 1080 - 3M
    edited July 2022

nm;)

edited July 2022

• nattaruknattaruk Posts: 524

Morning Stretch

edited July 2022

...more car trouble...

A Teuf g awe.png
    1920 x 1080 - 3M
    edited July 2022

Made for LLRAM Challenge; Valentine's Day

...is that glow from a medical cannabis facility using hydroponics that forgot to close the shades?

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2022/jul/21/pink-sky-mildura-victoria-australia-medicinal-cannabis-marijuana-plant?  

Hahaha, utterly bizarre! I guess we'll have to wait some more for the aliens, though...?

edited July 2022

...F550...

F550_UrbanLiving g awe.png
    1920 x 1080 - 3M
  • IlenaIlena Posts: 280

Here is my pitch to the thread :)

afriendinneedisafriendindeedafterpost.png
    1920 x 1080 - 3M

Ilena said:

Here is my pitch to the thread :)

Love it! 

...that is really well done. Would make an incredible SciFi book cover or illustration.

• EthinEthin Posts: 1,010

0ff Gr1d

The guardian

the_guardian_by_jelenaellethil_df0diz9-fullview.jpg
    1280 x 481 - 118K
  • Phyre FeyPhyre Fey Posts: 18

Misselthwaite said:

The hair looks really ncie on that one, Sven!  JOdel, I love the wide-open eyes of surprise :-)

I wasn't going to do any more, but I had a rough week with teenage girls that demanded tubekittens.  So, here are my kitbashed ayakashi from Kakuriyo (Bed & Breakfast for Spirits), an anime I enjoy.  I used Littlefox's Rufus and Toon Ghost 2.0 and squashed 'em together.

May no one else's week involve sobbing teenage girls and a wretchedly incompetent hairdresser...!

This is so amazing!! I LOVE that scene and look. 

edited July 2022

Another IRay to awe conversion....24min rendertime

Level21 test awe.png
    1200 x 675 - 1000K

...very nice.  What are the specs of your rig again as that is a pretty good render time . 

edited July 2022

kyoto kid said:

...very nice.  What are the specs of your rig again as that is a pretty good render time . 

Tks! It's a MacPro 16 core IntelXeon 48Gb RAM. 

Here's a larger version with 20x20 ps and increased diff/spec bounce, still under an hour;)

Level 21g awe.png
    1920 x 1080 - 3M

...the old "cheese grater"?  That was probably one of the best systems Apple/Mac ever produced. 

Yeah, 32 threads can make short work of a big render job.

The digital print department at the company I used work for had one. I also remember there was someone In Australia who used to be active on the forums here who has/had a dual Xeon MacPro with 64 GB.

Still thinking of reviving my old workstation project built around dual Haswell 8 or 10 core Xeons with 128 GB of memory and ditching the idea of going with Windows11. 7 Pro has been working just fine for me and Home Edition was also pretty bullet-proof.  Of course that means no Ryzen 9 as that is only W10/W11 compatible.  The trick is finding an LGA2011 V3 MB with dual sockets.that isn't some no name off brand from China  Needs to be either Supermicro or ASUS.

edited July 2022

...summer days...

A Speed Boat g awe.png
    1600 x 900 - 2M
  • 3Diva3Diva Posts: 11,287
    edited July 2022

Hello, 3Delight people! I need your help!

I was playing around with some settings in 3DL and testing a bunch of different shaders and settings and ended up rendering some images with a fantastic "cell-shading" type of look. I liked the looks of the surfaces that I was getting so much that I saved the surface as Shader Presets and ended up saving two shader presets - one with a thin outline and one with thicker outlines. However the next day when I went to use the shader presets that I had saved they both looked VERY different from the original images that I was able to achieve. It had the same outlines but the high gloss interior with the cell-shaded "cuts" is not there. 

I'm trying to recreate the look, but I can't figure out what settings caused the look I got before. Can you guys tell me what settings to use to achieve this look? It was SO WEIRD that the shader presets didn't save the glossy part. Here's the image of the look that I want to recreate:

Any help you guys can give me would be greatly appreciated. I'm still scratching my head why the shader presents didn't save all of the settings that give that look. If I can figure out how to get that look again I'd be very happy as it's perfect for combining with some of my shaders to get a comic art style that I really like the look of. If you guys know how to get this look, please let me know! I'd very much appreciate it!

3DL Test - Mystery Settings.png
    1724 x 3800 - 3M
    Post edited by 3Diva on

Here , have a fairy :)

3Diva said:

Hello, 3Delight people! I need your help!

I was playing around with some settings in 3DL and testing a bunch of different shaders and settings and ended up rendering some images with a fantastic "cell-shading" type of look. I liked the looks of the surfaces that I was getting so much that I saved the surface as Shader Presets and ended up saving two shader presets - one with a thin outline and one with thicker outlines. However the next day when I went to use the shader presets that I had saved they both looked VERY different from the original images that I was able to achieve. It had the same outlines but the high gloss interior with the cell-shaded "cuts" is not there. 

I'm trying to recreate the look, but I can't figure out what settings caused the look I got before. Can you guys tell me what settings to use to achieve this look? It was SO WEIRD that the shader presets didn't save the glossy part. Here's the image of the look that I want to recreate:

Any help you guys can give me would be greatly appreciated. I'm still scratching my head why the shader presents didn't save all of the settings that give that look. If I can figure out how to get that look again I'd be very happy as it's perfect for combining with some of my shaders to get a comic art style that I really like the look of. If you guys know how to get this look, please let me know! I'd very much appreciate it!

Hi! vrba79 posted some stuff in my tips thread, don't know if that is of any help? I know very little about NPR shading and you didn't exactly give us much information, did you:)) For example, are you using the standard renderer or scripted rendering, etc...lights...?

Ilena said:

Did you post a picture? Or an invisible fairy? 

edited August 2022

CargoShip

CargoShip 1 ds awe.png
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
    edited August 2022

Sven Dullah said:

Ilena said:

Did you post a picture? Or an invisible fairy? 

Don't know what happened there at all. The comment is not even visable to me. Figured I might have broken some rule heh

fairy_flight_by_jelenaellethil_dehdmws-fullview.jpg
    1024 x 1448 - 186K
    Post edited by Ilena on