Show us more of your 3Delight renders

Comments

• Sven DullahSven Dullah Posts: 7,621

Tks kk for the feedback! Aargh, 4.20 is a real mess. My G1 shaping presets are now causing some serious distortion, rendering all shapes more or less useless. Now trying to iron out which of the 1000000 morphs are the root cause. So far I've found that certain morphs like chest scale, shoulder scale etc are now affecting also the head, neck and arms, and it's not pretty...think slender man... 10 years work down the drainfrown With tech support being what it is, maybe it's truly time to leave the DS echo system?! F™CK!

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,591
    edited July 2022

...yeah I still have 4.15 as my fallback.  Can't really mess with Iray volumetrics or G8.1 SSS due to old hardware. 

So far my G3 characters don't seem to suffer but I haven't tired going back to G1 (which is where most of my fun toon and alien characters are).  If it weren't that I already purchased a 12 GB 3060 last fall, (thought it would work on my current system but the BIOS of the MB is too old to recognise it), I'd consider tossing Iray in the dustbin and go for a 24 core Threadripper and just work with 3DL and Awe Shader. Of course it would mean having to convert a tonne of shaders over. but working in 3DL just seemed simpler and more straightforward.  

Before I had the HDD crash a couple years ago I was working on a scene titled "City of Lights" where I used a lot of art deco structures from Stonemason's urban sets, all lit up.  My inspiration was this lovely art deco building in my old hometown of Milwaukee WI. 

Post edited by kyoto kid on

Nice one! Hm, 4.9 is working so well on my old rig, but going back is not an option as life's too short:)) Still working on downgrading my new rig, but Apple are doing what they can to prevent this from happening...

• EthinEthin Posts: 1,010

• nattaruknattaruk Posts: 524

Cilla

@Ethin and @nattaruk yes, 3delight rulessmiley

edited July 2022

wip

DeepSea Eve g awe.png
    2400 x 1800 - 5M
    Post edited by Sven Dullah on

..very nice I lke the sky. Looks like a lot of high altitude ai traffic overhead.

kyoto kid said:

..very nice I lke the sky. Looks like a lot of high altitude ai traffic overhead.

Tks:) Forgot to mention...free HDRI kindly provided by AgentUnawares @ DeviantArt;)

edited July 2022

...new version with adjusted skin/light exposure etc. Tried to tone down specular highlights and increase ambient light a bit. Better or worse? Could use some feedback, getting used to my new display;)

DeepSeaEve3g awe.png
    2400 x 1800 - 6M

...I feel the original image shows a bit more facial detail, particularly in the cheek and eye area. Toning down the specular seems to flatten things out a bit.  Increasing the ambient seems to also add too much brightness to the side of the face that is in shadow.

Tks for the input! Think my new screen is pretty nice, just had to adjust down brightness a tad. Yeah I think the original looks ok, lighting wise...think the skin(DeepSea Eve) needs some custom roughness maps. The IRay version uses a glossy specular workflow (whatever it's called in MDL) instead of metal/roughness, so the glossy maps are kind of useless;) I could invert roughness but that's far from ideal;) Back to the drawing board then;)

edited July 2022

...working on a UF5  awe conversion...still a bunch of stuff to adjust...

...and playing with an additional fog pass...

UF5 awe test3.png
    1280 x 720 - 2M
    UF5 awe test3FP.png
    1280 x 720 - 2M

...yeah converting big sets from Iray to 3DL or Awe is a pain. Even single but highly detailed items like Protozooon's grand piano was a real chore.

BTW, I thought Stonemason still included 3DL materials. 

So far looks good and I like the fog effect, makes it look more "Bladerunner-ish" .  I have several fog effects for 3DL that look so much better than the Iray ones. 

kyoto kid said:

...yeah converting big sets from Iray to 3DL or Awe is a pain. Even single but highly detailed items like Protozooon's grand piano was a real chore.

BTW, I thought Stonemason still included 3DL materials. 

So far looks good and I like the fog effect, makes it look more "Bladerunner-ish" .  I have several fog effects for 3DL that look so much better than the Iray ones. 

Uhm yeah, hundereds of surfaces here LOL,,,,There is a 3DL version but alas, standard DS shaders are a no-go. So IRay or 3DL doesn't matter, have to convert everything in any case.

I'll have to experiment more with the fog-part, and possibly come up with a couple of characters... 

edited July 2022

...right, UrbanFuture + some more dabbling with volumetrics...time to move on...

UrbanFuture volumetrics awe.png
    1920 x 1080 - 3M
    edited July 2022

Trying to cook-up "magic" crystal settings with UberSurface.

Crystal test 02.jpg
    512 x 683 - 146K
    Post edited by Ethin on

Nice glow! Pointlight?

Sven Dullah said:

Nice glow! Pointlight?

Thanks. Yep.

Not sure if it will work out though as I'm looking to do something on the scale of Naica crystal cave,  my hardware and patience might not handle it well.

edited July 2022

Descending

Planet Dread awe.png
    1920 x 1080 - 3M

...ahhhh!  Prehistoric Oregon when giant slugs ruled the earth.

Love the lighting and atmospherics.

edited July 2022

laugh...yes 

Hm, would love to make some more serious pre-historic stuff but that would  also require some serious investments...or just opening Hexagon and making some stufflaugh 

Quite frankly, with DS4.20(Mac) being so buggy, the crypto debacle, the DAZ sales policy and a few other things (that we discussed in private), I'm reluctant to spend more money here. 

Not necessarily a bad thing, turning more and more into a "do it yourself" guy:)) 

Added a volumetric shader to my tips thread, DL it here!

...cool.

edited July 2022

cloudflare error?

SM Cloud test.png
    1280 x 720 - 1M
    edited July 2022

...back to scripted rendering

The Library1g awe.png
    1920 x 1080 - 3M
    edited July 2022

The Library2g awe.png
    1920 x 1080 - 2M

...wow excellent lighting.  How long did that take?  

...and is that Protozoon's Grand Piano in the second image? 

kyoto kid said:

...wow excellent lighting.  How long did that take?  

...and is that Protozoon's Grand Piano in the second image? 

Yes that's the Palmgren for sure:) The second one actually rendered faster, less SS to process. Just under 2 h, IIRC. Used 20x20 pixelsamples for a smooth DoF. Using the default 8x8 ps would speed up rendering significantly, as would reducing diffuse bounce depth;) 

...yeah as I mentioned I had just converted it to 3DL before the drive crash happened and Iost everything.