More Non-photorealistic Renders (NPR III)

Comments

• vrba79vrba79 Posts: 1,297

I can't get into GIMP. It lack basic features that my ancient copy of Photoshop CS5 has.

• TugpsxTugpsx Posts: 733

vrba79 said:

I can't get into GIMP. It lack basic features that my ancient copy of Photoshop CS5 has.

Check the G'MIC downloads there are compatible options. 

edited November 2021

What is your number one piece of advice for people doing NPRs?

Mine is: Don't use texture maps for skins. If you're going for a toon/anime look, you want a nice even/clean looking surface. If you must do a texture, go with minimal details like maybe some eyeshadow, or in the case of G8 and you wanna do some lewds, nipples...because for whatever reason Daz3D didn't add that as a material zone!(Seriousy?!)

Post edited by vrba79 on
  • juvesatrianijuvesatriani Posts: 556
    edited November 2021

Mine will be :

1. In 3Delight render setting there is parameter called Shading Rate . BUMP up to 6 up to 10 to speed up render time especially if you want stylized kind effect from textures .or choose not using texture at all 
    2. Slowly backdown the value if you want your texture look crisps .  Set to 3 mostly the sweet spot .
    3. Sadly this not gonna work if you`re using  all outline solution lke Geoshell Outline Shader or pwToon outline  since this shader need lower value of Shading rate 
    4. Most 3Delight shaders offer tilling function so you use it if possible , With it you can use 512x512 texture size to fill big area without make your system work harder
    5. Use multiple 3Delight shader type in figure or scenes as long can make your render cooler . i.e pwBundle really worth of investment , check it out
    6. If you have plan doing post , consider  doing multiple BW shadow passes with help from this auto pass freebie and mashup them in your favorite 2d graphic editor   ( check the end of first post with mediafire link ) 

vrba79 said:

What is your number one piece of advice for people doing NPRs?

Mine is: Don't use texture maps for skins. If you're going for a toon/anime look, you want a nice even/clean looking surface. If you must do a texture, go with minimal details like maybe some eyeshadow, or in the case of G8 and you wanna do some lewds, nipples...because for whatever reason Daz3D didn't add that as a material zone!(Seriousy?!)

Post edited by juvesatriani on
    edited November 2021

When you mentioned PWBundle, I went and looked just to see, and sure enough PWToon is no longer a part of it. For whatever reason they REALLY want to erase PWToon. I genuinely think Daz 5 is gonna be bad news for us NPR artists.

Post edited by vrba79 on
  • juvesatrianijuvesatriani Posts: 556
    edited November 2021

@vrba79 , I`m afraid so . But I think even without pwToon other pwShader in that bundle worth to collect, especially if we need Stylized FX like Fire -Smoke etc . And also pwCatch for composite in graphic or video editor

In meantime , here test images from my future photoshop  freebie ( IRAY /Filament render into Dirty and Paper NPR style)

PaperSketch.jpg
    1500 x 1500 - 2M
    Paper Sketch02.jpg
    1958 x 1958 - 3M
    Post edited by juvesatriani on
  • captainalvordcaptainalvord Posts: 85
    edited November 2021

Just wanted to say thanks for all the good advice in this thread (and the many linked threads).  Been playing around with DAZ3d on an older PC without an NVIDIA card for a few years and realistic renders are takings hours.  Thought I'd look for toon shaders and tips for using them.  Came across this thread and starting playing around in DAZ.  Landed on the !JS Style shaders provided by @juvesatriani .  Easy to use and great results (see attached)! Thanks for the shaders!!  

Mindy Toon Bikini.png
    1080 x 1920 - 2M
    Post edited by captainalvord on
  • captainalvord said:

Just wanted to say thanks for all the good advice in this thread (and the many linked threads).  Been playing around with DAZ3d on an older PC without an NVIDIA card for a few years and realistic renders are takings hours.  Thought I'd look for toon shaders and tips for using them.  Came across this thread and starting playing around in DAZ.  Landed on the !JS Style shaders provided by @juvesatriani .  Easy to use and great results (see attached)! Thanks for the shaders!!  

Cool render !! and thanks for taking time to try my freebies

• Critiques welcome!

Here is my custom textured Kraken male. I am also finishing a female version.

So far, I used my own textures, simple studio lights (turned off camera lamp), and rendered in iRay. Then I ran a few passes of Linerender9k that I compiled in Photoshop for the outlines (masking some details of some layers out, and used blend modes for others), and added a sketch preset from Filterforge for the coloring page.

I hope to make stickers and coloring pages to sell on Etsy one day.

Any hints or tips for improvement are welcome. I've got thick skin. Hit me!

Kraken Male Hourglass Sticker with text transparent no crosshatch.png
    3840 x 2160 - 4M
    Kraken Male Hourglass Coloring Page Outlines.jpg
    3840 x 2160 - 444K
  • csaacsaa Posts: 812

Very eye catching. If your plan is to sell them as stickers on Etsy, I'm sure people will snap it up, particularly children!

I can't google Linerender9k. Was that a Daz product that went away?

Cheers!

talena_99d0812931 said:

Critiques welcome!

So far, I used my own textures, simple studio lights (turned off camera lamp), and rendered in iRay. Then I ran a few passes of Linerender9k that I compiled in Photoshop for the outlines (masking some details of some layers out, and used blend modes for others), and added a sketch preset from Filterforge for the coloring page.

Nah they still sell Line Render 9000.

• Thank you!

Here you go: https://www.daz3d.com/linerender9000

csaa said:

Very eye catching. If your plan is to sell them as stickers on Etsy, I'm sure people will snap it up, particularly children!

I can't google Linerender9k. Was that a Daz product that went away?

Cheers!

talena_99d0812931 said:

Critiques welcome!

• I finished my Kraken Girl today, too. Let me know what you guys think.

TTGKF Sticker.png
    2400 x 3000 - 4M
    TTGKF Coloring Page.jpg
    2400 x 3000 - 354K
  • TugpsxTugpsx Posts: 733

talena_99d0812931 said:

I finished my Kraken Girl today, too. Let me know what you guys think.

Cool character, looks good.  

• Here are couple more renders done using the JS stylized presets.  

Rachel Toon latex.png
    1080 x 1920 - 2M
    Ginny Toon Yoga.png
    1080 x 1920 - 1M
    Jane Toon Bikini Top And Skirt.png
    1080 x 1920 - 2M
  • captainalvord said:

Here are couple more renders done using the JS stylized presets.  

Love it !! especially the Ginny Toon ones . Did you tried using different shading variation presets ? Sometimes some texture maps need different color shade to make the fx stronger . But overall you nailed it ! 

• The Ginny one is my favorite too! I just clicked thru skin shading presets until I found one I liked. In some instances I then went to the shading color and lightened or darkened them til I got a look a liked.
    edited November 2021

A few images I came up early on while I was still trying to figure out cel shading. The characters are from a police story I made up.

Thanks for your interest.

Cheers!

"Sgt. Andrea: Between Duty & Harm's Way" | Daz Assets and Set Up | Blender cel shading and Eevee render.

Post edited by csaa on
  • cathan01_wwg1wgacathan01_wwg1wga Posts: 353
    edited November 2021

Been experimenting with Daz Studio and image editing programs to produce anime art styles after character designers and manga creators such as Yoshikazu Yasuhiko (Mobile Suit Gundam), Haruhiko Mikimoto (Super Dimension Fortress Macross), and Yoji Shinkawa (Metal Gear Solid). Used Narucoman’s free toon shader for the character skin, hair and steam bike and Daz Studio’s toon shader for his clothing. Background is Lost City for Bryce by Spacebones. Included both original render and image editor postwork versions.

Image Credits:

Daz Studio 4

Bryce 7.0 Pro

GIMP 2 (with G'Mic and PS Nik filters)

FotoSketcher 3

Genesis 2 Male (Daz3D)

Animated Shapes for Genesis 2 Male (Daz3D - no longer available)

Hiro 5 for Genesis (Daz3D)

Genesis Generation X2 (Daz3D)

Hardcore by Uzilite (Daz3D)

Complicated Eve by Uzilite (Daz3D)

Poser 4 Hair

Steam Bike Pro (Daz3D)

Morphing Ground 2 by Porsimo

Rubble by MortemVetus

The Ruins by Chris Schell for Poser by Vanishing Point (Renderosity free stuff)

Lost City by Spacebones (Renderosity Free Stuff)

ACartoonDz Shaders for Style Toon by Narucoman (Renderosity free stuff)

Wasteland_Render.jpg
    1200 x 1553 - 2M
    Wasteland_Postwork.jpg
    1200 x 1553 - 2M
    Post edited by cathan01_wwg1wga on

That's very cool render! Thanks for sharing, particularly the list of assets you used.

Cheers!

cathan01_wwg1wga said:

Been experimenting with Daz Studio and image editing programs to produce anime art styles after character designers and manga creators such as Yoshikazu Yasuhiko (Mobile Suit Gundam), Haruhiko Mikimoto (Super Dimension Fortress Macross), and Yoji Shinkawa (Metal Gear Solid). Used Narucoman’s free toon shader for the character skin, hair and steam bike and Daz Studio’s toon shader for his clothing. Background is Lost City for Bryce by Spacebones. Included both original render and image editor postwork versions.

edited November 2021

Thank you, csaa. And also thanks for introducing me to Eevee render for Blender. Blender was kinda scary when I first checked it out, but with the Daz to Blender bridge I think I might look into it further, especially for NPR rendering. I love the colors and shading in your cover - it's like using the smudge tool in photoshop or gimp for color or light and shadow blending. Also reminds me of classic pulp mystery magazine covers. Very nice.

• MollytabbyMollytabby Posts: 1,159

cathan01_wwg1wga said:

Image Credits:

Daz Studio 4

Bryce 7.0 Pro

GIMP 2 (with G'Mic and NikShell)

FotoSketcher 3

Genesis 2 Male (Daz3D)

Animated Shapes for Genesis 2 Male (Daz3D - no longer available)

Hiro 5 for Genesis (Daz3D)

Genesis Generation X2 (Daz3D)

Hardcore by Uzilite (Daz3D)

Complicated Eve by Uzilite (Daz3D)

Poser 4 Hair

Steam Bike Pro (Daz3D)

Morphing Ground 2 by Porsimo

Rubble by MortemVetus

The Ruins by Chris Schell for Poser by Vanishing Point (Renderosity free stuff)

Lost City by Spacebones (Renderosity Free Stuff)

ACartoonDz Shaders for Style Toon by Narucoman (Renderosity free stuff)

Beautiful images. Absolutely love how you've put all this together and the style you've developed.

edited November 2021

Thank you, Mollytabby. With pwToon gone before I could grab it, I'm thankful for Narucoman's toon shaders. It can be a bit finicky (probably because it's for an older Daz version), but I like how it renders anime skin - especially with the right lighting.

• Lots of great work posted lately! Everyone seems revved up to make great manga, anime and cartoon art. Love to see it!

----

My latest is focused on the realization that we all have a subconscious comicbook vigilante warehoused in the back of our reptilian brains. Mine just happens to be tinged with a grindhouse flavoring.

Tormentula Vol1.jpg
    1074 x 1530 - 2M
    edited November 2021

@mdk1960,

The cover art has a strong pulp fiction flavor about it. The character reminds me of Vampirella or even Red Sonja comics. Hope to see more!

Say, on a related topic, I was looking at the 3D Comic Book Tips and Pictures thread started by @magicjava in the forums. I always thought that while this NPR thread opened by @Artini is focused on art, the comic book one is centered on the whole package of comic book production -- storytelling, panel layout, cover design, etc. There was a lot of great tips and tutorials posted there. It's gone quiet now. Hopefully people will pick it up and continue to share and showcase their work.

Cheers!

mdk1960 said:

Lots of great work posted lately! Everyone seems revved up to make great manga, anime and cartoon art. Love to see it!

----

My latest is focused on the realization that we all have a subconscious comicbook vigilante warehoused in the back of our reptilian brains. Mine just happens to be tinged with a grindhouse flavoring.

Post edited by csaa on
  • mdk1960 said:

Lots of great work posted lately! Everyone seems revved up to make great manga, anime and cartoon art. Love to see it!

----

Love the pulp cover art style, complete with the rips and worn edges. Awesome colors, line work and screentone shading. Receives the reptilian brain stamp of approval!

Rex.jpg
    2000 x 1596 - 511K

Love the style @mdk1960 

An awesome amount of work has gone into producing that image.

This thread has inspired me to start experimenting with shaders again. This is a test piece I've been playing with today using Sasuke and My Shaders. The first attached image is the pure Iray render. The second is postwork with a Scripted 3delight outline and Photshop backdrop plus some filter tweaks.

Sasuke-My-ShadersRenderWEB.jpg
    1500 x 1950 - 1003K
    Sasuke-My-ShadersWEB.jpg
    1500 x 1950 - 2M
    edited November 2021

@Mollytabby,

Very nice render. I checked the corresponding entry in your gallery and I have to commend you for picking the right anime figure to go with the toon shader.

Are you familiar with Polygon Pictures? It's a Japanese company that produces CG animation for film, TV shows and the like, mostly sci-fi. "Knights of Sidonia" and a Godzilla spin-off were a few of their shows I caught on Netflix. Often there is a hint of Gaussian blur along with soft glow on their renders. I don't know if its a signature "look" to them, but the effect is very appealing. I've attached a few images to show this.

I brought this up as a suggestion that you might consider adding to your image. laugh

Cheers!

Mollytabby said:

Love the style @mdk1960 

This thread has inspired me to start experimenting with shaders again. This is a test piece I've been playing with today using Sasuke and My Shaders. The first attached image is the pure Iray render. The second is postwork with a Scripted 3delight outline and Photshop backdrop plus some filter tweaks.

kos01.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 122K
    kos02.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 109K
    kos03.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 66K
    kos04.jpg
    960 x 400 - 53K
    Post edited by csaa on

@csaa I'm a real novice with all this. Thank you for the examples and the advice. I have couple of books on drawing animie but not much else. I'm learning all the time, particularly from the NPR threads here. The examples you posted above are beautiful, I'm going to study them to see if I can do something similar in postwork.

edited November 2021

Mollytabby said:

Love the style @mdk1960 

Very nice, Mollytabby. And interesting combination of Iray and 3Delight. I really like the shading on the pure Iray render; what lighting setup was used (mesh, hdri, etc.)?

Also enjoyed Knights of Sidonia. I think the same company worked on the Blame! CG movie; loved the atmosphere in that film.