More Non-photorealistic Renders (NPR III)

Comments

• MollytabbyMollytabby Posts: 1,160

cathan01_wwg1wga said:

Mollytabby said:

Love the style @mdk1960 

An awesome amount of work has gone into producing that image.

This thread has inspired me to start experimenting with shaders again. This is a test piece I've been playing with today using Sasuke and My Shaders. The first attached image is the pure Iray render. The second is postwork with a Scripted 3delight outline and Photshop backdrop plus some filter tweaks.

Very nice, Mollytabby. And interesting combination of Iray and 3Delight. I really like the shading on the pure Iray render; what lighting setup was used (mesh, hdri, etc.)?

Also enjoyed Knights of Sidonia. I think the same company worked on the Blame! CG movie; loved the atmosphere in that film.

@cathan01_wwg1wga , I use IBL Master as the basis for the majority of my renders. It means I can use HDRs that were originally intended for Iray in setting up my 3delight renders. It also means if I want to experiment with both Iray and 3delight in composit images, then I can use the same HDR. The used one of the HDRs from Sketchy slotted into IBL Master on the image above. I'm still trying to learn Sketchy, but found the two included HDR's really useful.  

IBL Master also has mesh lights for both Iray and 3delight. There's also a very nice ground shadow catcher prop included. I bought it when it was on sale and it's probably one of my most used products alongside some of Sickleyield's and Riversoft Arts.

My Shaders also has a tone mapping setting which helps to get to look.

For the image above I cranked up the intensity of the HDR and toned down diffuse colour on the skin of the figure.

• cathan01_wwg1wgacathan01_wwg1wga Posts: 353
    edited November 2021

Thanks, Mollytabby. I own IBL Master (love this product). I'll check out My Shaders... especially since I don't know when a future Daz update might break my older shaders (hope this doesn't happen with Studio 5).

Post edited by cathan01_wwg1wga on
  • csaacsaa Posts: 812
    edited November 2021

A few of my early renders from when I was trying to uncerstand cel shading.

Cheers!

Sgt. Inez | Daz assets and set up | Blender Eevee cel shading

Post edited by csaa on
    edited November 2021

A character concept I've been working on. The base figure is G8M with Reynard morphs dialed in. The attire is from the Highlander Outfit product, minus the cloth. To top it off, I used the Viking Hair for G3.

Thanks for your interest.

Cheers!

Asbjorn the Smuggler | Daz assets and set up | Blender Eevee cel shading | Clip Studio Paint post-edit

Post edited by csaa on
  •  

Hi folks!

Not sure if this daz studio render can be called "photorealistic", those months I worked hard on photoshop to find and use the best set of postwork, here is one, this render isn't nor Iray or 3delight, it's a simple BasicopenGL render, from new daz it's called Viewport.

• vrba79vrba79 Posts: 1,297

Playing with G8F again.

Using DZDefault's toon shader, with just a bit of smoothing postwork to make it look painterly.

vrba79 said:

Playing with G8F again.

Using DZDefault's toon shader, with just a bit of smoothing postwork to make it look painterly.

@vrba79

Very lovely figure. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers!

• captainalvordcaptainalvord Posts: 85
    edited November 2021

A Wednesday Addams Render.  Made with the Ricci head morph from Magnus1781 over on deviantart, Spooky dress from renderosity, cute braids from here on Daz store and 33% dialed in of the Cartoonized morph for G8F from Daz store as well.  All then toon shaded using !JS Stylized.

Wednesday Addams

Post edited by captainalvord on
  • ArtiniArtini Posts: 8,869
    edited November 2021

Further experiments in Unity with stylized renders.

https://www.daz3d.com/the-secret-garden-by-merlin

https://www.daz3d.com/ppu-t2000

SecretGarden01pic01.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 1M
    Post edited by Artini on

More G8 practice.

@Artini,

Very intresting scene! The garden even has birds flying around. Did you complete discard the Daz materials when you transfered the scene to Unity? From working with Blender, I know how rebuilding the materials from the ground up can be very time consuming.

Any chance you could render a few zoom-ins? I've seen great shaders for Unity. I wonder how they look up close.

Cheers!

Artini said:

Further experiments in Unity with stylized renders.

https://www.daz3d.com/the-secret-garden-by-merlin

https://www.daz3d.com/ppu-t2000

• captainalvordcaptainalvord Posts: 85
    edited November 2021

A few more renders.  Got inspired and motivated on my day off today.  Went on a NPR rendering spree ;)  First two are ones I made combining daz3d store characters.  Last four use celebrity morphs to make some movie mcharacters.

Co-Captain Brata Sebal Cartoonized.png
    892 x 1079 - 685K
    Co-Captain Hanhu Rieva Cartoonized.png
    1137 x 1079 - 747K
    Sophia Lillis Cartoonized.png
    484 x 1079 - 556K
    Captain Marvel Cartoonized.png
    918 x 1079 - 317K
    Padme Amidala Cartoonized.png
    1154 x 1080 - 654K
    Rey Cartoonized.png
    1660 x 1079 - 855K
    Post edited by captainalvord on
    edited November 2021

Thanks a lot, @csaa

I have only run the 3Delight to Iray script in Daz Studio, before transferring items with Daz to Unity bridge.

Below are more example renders.

SecretGarden01pic02.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 1M
    SecretGarden01pic04.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 1M
    Post edited by Artini on
    edited November 2021

Another render from Unity of:

Space Dock - https://www.daz3d.com/14mu-space-dock

rBot - https://www.daz3d.com/rbot

No change of materials at all - just the magic of stylize rendering in Unity.

SpaceDock02pic01.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 1M
    SpaceDock02pic02.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 1M
    Post edited by Artini on
    edited November 2021

A cel shaded render I've been working on over the holidays. Here's a list of Daz assets I used. I've also attached the orignal Daz Iray render.

Cheers!

Ladies Talk | Daz assets and set up | Blender Eevee cel shading and render | Clip Studio Paint post-work

ReneeOlive02.png
    1200 x 1200 - 1M
    Post edited by csaa on

Strangely enough this isn't using juvesatriani's PWToon presets. There are some bundled with PWToon that offer a similar look. I just never looked into them before.

edited December 2021

Tonight's WIP. It's a work-in-progress only because I don't really know what's going in this scene! indecision It feels as if the half-orc paladin and the dragonborn cleric are stuggling against malevolent forces ... but to be honest, I have yet to figure that story out. Maybe if I sleep on it for a few days.

Here's a short list of Daz assets used. Pardon the peek-throughs in the armor. I didn't set the collision correctly in Daz before I exported this scene to Blender.  Thanks for your interest.

Cheers!

Phantasmagoria | Daz assets and set up | Blender cel shading | Clip Studio Paint post-edit

Post edited by csaa on

What's she here to talk about? Stonks maybe?

edited December 2021

A few more renders to add to the one I shared above. Good things come in threes. Thanks for your interest.

Cheers!

Phantasmagoria | Daz assets and set up | Blender cel shading | Clip Studio Paint post-edit

Post edited by csaa on

So apparently all you have to do to keep the specular hightlight on the eyes of a G8 figure you've converted from Iray to 3DL, is to leave the cornea material as is! It'll still render properly in 3DL!

• DaremoK3DaremoK3 Posts: 798
    edited December 2021

Renders looking good everyone...

Haven't posted any in a long while, so here are a few from me to bury :

Have a great day, and keep those fantastic NPR images coming.

ShinobiYariRender2a.png
    724 x 709 - 258K
    GreenHardsuit.jpg
    575 x 775 - 94K
    Shinobi2064_001a.jpg
    766 x 751 - 164K
    Ayame001e.jpg
    700 x 744 - 93K
    WarriorPaint001.jpg
    840 x 1280 - 179K
    Post edited by DaremoK3 on
  • VyusurVyusur Posts: 2,235
    edited December 2021

"Out of the box"

Out_of_the_box06.png
    1000 x 1300 - 2M
    Post edited by Vyusur on
  • VyusurVyusur Posts: 2,235
    edited December 2021

Walker

It was a cloth simulation smiley

Walker02.png
    1000 x 1300 - 2M
    Post edited by Vyusur on
  • MollytabbyMollytabby Posts: 1,160

I love the graphic styles and the creative ideas in this thread. I've following along quietly as I'm really interested in everything being posted. There are pages of wonderful images.

Mollytabby said:

I love the graphic styles and the creative ideas in this thread. I've following along quietly as I'm really interested in everything being posted. There are pages of wonderful images.

@Mollytabby,

I hope I speak for everyone who's contributed to this NPR thread when I thank you for those generous remarks of yours. It helps to have an appreciative audience.

I find there's more room for creativity and play when we use the unconventional styles of NPR -- unconventional in that it stands apart from the photorealism so many aim for. What I also find inspiriring are the references people use in their work, be it manga, anime, cartoons or film. It gives me comfort knowing that the variance in the visual styles leaves a lot of room to experiment and explore.

Cheers!

edited December 2021

When I started learning Blender cel shading, I was working on a few character concepts. Here is one, Sgt. Inez. She's one of the leads in a near-future police story.

Cheers!

PS. As a reference, I've attached the iray render too.

Sgt. Inez Concept | Daz assets and set up | Blender Eevee cel shading | Clip Studio Paint post-edit

Inez03_Daz-960px.jpg
    960 x 984 - 45K
    Post edited by csaa on

Third one accompanying the previous two I shared above.

Cheers!

• Here's my latest, and a bit of my process.

Products Used
    Kraken Female (God of Sea Tentacles, Anemone Hair, Shape Splitter using HFS Creature morphs, custom texture)
    Gades for G8M for the hand
    Natures Ravine (removed a stone, moved water plane over to create opening to sea)
    Linerenderer 9000
    Ron's Waves brushes
    Ron's Splashes brushes
    Filter Forge (Fake Buzz filter, preset 12; Multi-Sketch, preset 1 tweaked to my preferences)
    Free GMIC photoshop plugin (Smooth- Thin Brush filter)

Steps I Took
    1. Rendered in Iray using environment settings already included, but 2.00 intensity (due to shadows in Ravine)
    2. Rendered Linerenderer outlines, without setting up color ids, so didn't use them (Fresnel cam- .05 threshold, .25 line; Edge Cam- .1 threshold, .25 line, 2 Tone Toon Cam, .005 threshold, .25 line)
    3. In Photoshop, I used the heal brush for some spots, mostly mesh blending where tentacles and Anemone hair connect. Then, I masked the three outline layers to include the lines I wanted and remove those I don't. This took around an hour.
    4. I used Ron's Waves and Splashes brushes to liven up the water.
    5. I saved out the result and took it into Filter Forge, and played with some filters. I spent way too much time doing that, but it's fun.
    6. In Photoshop, I ran the Filter Forge result for Fake Buzz through GMIC filter Smooth- Thin Brush and tweaked the settings a bit.
    7. I made some minor tweaks to the color balance to reduce the reds.

Layers from Top to Bottom
    1. Fresnel Cam .25- masked (Normal Blending Mode)
    2. Edge Cam .25-  masked (Normal Blending Mode)
    3. 2 Tone Toon Cam- masked (Normal Blending Mode)
    4. Filter Forge Multi-Sketch layer (Overlay Blending Mode, 50% opacity) *this layer ends up lightening the overall pic, but I liked it. Otherwise, I would have taken the steps to remove the white background from the line art.
    5. Levels adjustment layer (to reduce red balance)
    6. Filter Forge result for Fake Buzz through GMIC filter Smooth- Thin Brush image

Female Kraken in Hand.jpg
    2400 x 3000 - 2M

The image is very interesting! The details vividly stand out. Will you sell it as a sticker too? Thanks for sharing details about the software you use and your process too.

Cheers!

LoreMistress Izaria said:

Here's my latest, and a bit of my process.