UltraSceneryXT - large terrain/landscape generator

Comments

• MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,148

Oso3D said:

I encourage people to zoom in; there are a bunch of extra bits :)

I spotted the tower in the woods, the building by the jetty and the little boat - what else did I miss? 

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,889

Melanie, that first render reminds me of a drive we used to make when we lived in Washington, heading into the edge of the Cascades to Leavenworth.

Great stuff!

• edited March 2022

barbult said:

shedofjoy_a0bca15db4 said:

barbult said:

I have tried to get the trees (biome) to show up, and i understand that it doesnt show up in the preview, but im getting nothing in the render either, even when i change the restrict to camera, and ive changed the optimization to memory then auto and speed, but still nothing, checked the visiblity in the parameters, checked the shaders, still can't find anything to make the plant life show up, can get the water though, so the landscapes look a bit rubbish without life.and i did save the terrain to a folder as well, what am i missing?

Ryzen 7 3700x, 32gb ram, rtx3090 oc, daz studio 4.20

How did you install the product? (DIM, manual install, Daz Central, Daz Connect inside Daz Studio)

Does the log file have any info? (Help>Troubleshooting>View Log File then scroll to the end for the most recent info)

Which biome did you select?

When you selected the biome, did you see a window pop us saying it was loading files, like in the attached screenshot?

I installed via DIM, And i tired several biomes and the window did pop up saying it was loading files, the log file had this and a lot more below it :-

2022-03-20 17:33:30.674 Iray [INFO] - MATCNV:RENDER ::   1.0   MATCNV rend info : Material instance 'DS_UltraSceneryXT water node__Default_1969_9494' uses MDL JIT compilation.

Did you specify a Save Location folder in the Terrain Maps section? If not, do that and see if that fixes the problem.

Yes, i made a folder in my daz library specifically for it. Have just tried a Full render, and the trees are showing up, they just don't show up in the Iray preview render, is that correct, or is that a fault?

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • HowieFarkesHowieFarkes Posts: 584

barbult said:

barbult said:

I have tried to get the trees (biome) to show up, and i understand that it doesnt show up in the preview, but im getting nothing in the render either, even when i change the restrict to camera, and ive changed the optimization to memory then auto and speed, but still nothing, checked the visiblity in the parameters, checked the shaders, still can't find anything to make the plant life show up, can get the water though, so the landscapes look a bit rubbish without life.and i did save the terrain to a folder as well, what am i missing?

Ryzen 7 3700x, 32gb ram, rtx3090 oc, daz studio 4.20

How did you install the product? (DIM, manual install, Daz Central, Daz Connect inside Daz Studio)

Does the log file have any info? (Help>Troubleshooting>View Log File then scroll to the end for the most recent info)

Which biome did you select?

When you selected the biome, did you see a window pop us saying it was loading files, like in the attached screenshot?

I installed via DIM, And i tired several biomes and the window did pop up saying it was loading files, the log file had this and a lot more below it :-

2022-03-20 17:33:30.674 Iray [INFO] - MATCNV:RENDER ::   1.0   MATCNV rend info : Material instance 'DS_UltraSceneryXT water node__Default_1969_9494' uses MDL JIT compilation.

Did you specify a Save Location folder in the Terrain Maps section? If not, do that and see if that fixes the problem.

Yes, i made a folder in my daz library specifically for it.

I would suggest not making it in your Daz library but somewhere in your documents folder or even where you are saving your scene file. (There could be permissions issues with the library)
  • barbultbarbult Posts: 23,155

@shedofjoy_a0bca15db4 The trees do not show (by design) in Iray preview. I thought, from a previous message you wrote, that you aleady knew that. Iray Preview does not honor the Instancing Optimization Memory settings and showing all those tree instances in Iray Preview would probably crash your computer. HowieFarkes discussed this earlier in this thread.

So are your problems resolved now?

• I got UltraScenery and various add-ons a while back, but never got round to trying it out yet. I know, shocking!

Got USXT on release and thought to throw it all together and see if I could get things to work, fingers crossed. It took a minute, but thanks to all the tips here, it worked.

This just has a basic US foreground with a basic USXT background, with a character in there to see if I could get everybody to play nice. I'm still unsure how to best show the middle distance and give the impression of the overall distance. I think Oso3D gave a nice tip on using matte fog. I'm guessing DOF and just size of the environments used also makes a difference... Still figuring out the basics...

Thanks Howie for a lovely set of products!

edited March 2022

I scattered some grass and reeds along the lake shoreline with UltraScatterPro.

Reeds and grass scattered along lake shore_001 4 by 3 aspect.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 3M
    Post edited by barbult on
  • davesodaveso Posts: 6,440

Here's one experimenting on height map. This came from real world of an area that i was able to zoom in on and render... Tangram Heightmapper (tangrams.github.io)
    I didnt have a sky on this. wanted to see how it would look. 

xt-3.png
    1500 x 1125 - 3M
  • barbult said:

@shedofjoy_a0bca15db4 The trees do not show (by design) in Iray preview. I thought, from a previous message you wrote, that you aleady knew that. Iray Preview does not honor the Instancing Optimization Memory settings and showing all those tree instances in Iray Preview would probably crash your computer. HowieFarkes discussed this earlier in this thread.

Looks like im good to go now, thanks for your help. 

barbult said:

Looks like im good to go now, thanks for your help. 

Wonderful! Have fun.

daveso said:

Here's one experimenting on height map. This came from real world of an area that i was able to zoom in on and render... Tangram Heightmapper (tangrams.github.io)
    I didnt have a sky on this. wanted to see how it would look. 

Nice, you can also give it a little blur in the Height Map section to dial out the banding due to using 8bit images.
  • mcorrmcorr Posts: 1,028
    edited March 2022

HowieFarkes said:

I don't have an M1 Mac so can't test that. It was developed on an iMac OSX Catalina using DS versions 4.8, 4.15, 4.16 and 4.20 - the Windows version was also developed and tested on Windows 10 with DS versions 4.12, 4.14, 4.16 and 4.20 - I think that was a pretty nice spread of versions to see if anything came up - they all worked the same.

If anyone else using an M1 Mac has anything to say I'd be interested to hear their experience.

I have narrowed the problem down to 4.12 on a MAC. The shader is not working on terrains, as I documented above.

So lets get specific.

XT works just fine on 4.15 (using an imported file from 4.12 with all of its file/folder settings, so there is no problem where you thought there might be one regarding XT being able to find files, folder restrictions, etc.).

I noticed you DID NOT test XT on 4.12 for MAC. You only tested it on Windows. Why? As everybody knows, 4.12 was and is a critical release for MAC people. You should know that given that you are developing on a MAC.

4.15 works only for CPU renders, which makes XT basically useless on 4.15. And as we know from what you said, you didn't test it on M1s either .... and it also doesn't work on M1s. That leaves a lot of MAC folks out in the rain.

So, the last critical release (4.12) that MAC people with Nvidia GPUs can use was not tested by you.

Perhaps you could compensate this oversight by trying to solve our problems by now testing XT on 4.12? 

Post edited by mcorr on
  • mcorr said:

HowieFarkes said:

I don't have an M1 Mac so can't test that. It was developed on an iMac OSX Catalina using DS versions 4.8, 4.15, 4.16 and 4.20 - the Windows version was also developed and tested on Windows 10 with DS versions 4.12, 4.14, 4.16 and 4.20 - I think that was a pretty nice spread of versions to see if anything came up - they all worked the same.

If anyone else using an M1 Mac has anything to say I'd be interested to hear their experience.

I have narrowed the problem down to 4.12 on a MAC. The shader is not working on terrains, as I documented above.

So lets get specific.

XT works just fine on 4.15 (using an imported file from 4.12 with all of its file/folder settings, so there is no problem where you thought there might be one regarding XT being able to find files, folder restrictions, etc.).

I noticed you DID NOT test XT on 4.12 for MAC. You only tested it on Windows. Why? As everybody knows, 4.12 was and is a critical release for MAC people. You should know that given that you are developing on a MAC.

4.15 works only for CPU renders, which makes XT basically useless on 4.15. As we now know, it also doesn't work on M1s.

So, the last critical release (4.12) that MAC people with Nvidia GPUs can use was not tested by you.

Perhaps you could compensate this oversight by trying to solve our problems by now testing XT on 4.12? 

You are contradicting yourself. First you said XT works just fine on 4.15, and then 4.15 works only for CPU renders, which makes XT basically useless on 4.15.

• AnEye4ArtAnEye4Art Posts: 702
    edited March 2022

The new beta version of worldcreator now allows much higher resolution texture map export. The detail is just crazy.

Capture 1.JPG
    2117 x 1016 - 265K
    Capture 4.png
    1931 x 869 - 1M
    Capture 3.png
    1931 x 869 - 1M
    Capture 2.png
    1931 x 869 - 2M
    Post edited by AnEye4Art on

mcorr said:

HowieFarkes said:

So lets get specific.

4.15 works only for CPU renders, which makes XT basically useless on 4.15. And as we know from what you said, you didn't test it on M1s either .... and it also doesn't work on M1s. That leaves a lot of MAC folks out in the rain.

I tested on the versions I did because I have a legacy version of 4.8 (the first iray version) and then another copy that I keep up to date (hence 4.15, 4.16, 4.20) as those are the versions that were released during the long development process. Same for Windows except the oldest one I have there is 4.12.
  • mcorrmcorr Posts: 1,028
    edited March 2022

HowieFarkes said:

mcorr said:

HowieFarkes said:

So lets get specific.

I tested on the versions I did because I have a legacy version of 4.8 (the first iray version) and then another copy that I keep up to date (hence 4.15, 4.16, 4.20) as those are the versions that were released during the long development process. Same for Windows except the oldest one I have there is 4.12.

Like I said, 4.12 is a totally critical release for many MAC people -- as are the new M1s -- to counteract Nvidia card/MAC OS/Studio combo limitations. It should have been tested on 4.12 by you IMO. And somebody like Totte should have tested it on an M1 for you. It would have been easy to do that.

Post edited by mcorr on
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,822
    edited April 2022

NM

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on

mcorr said:

HowieFarkes said:

mcorr said:

HowieFarkes said:

So lets get specific.

Like I said, 4.12 is a totally critical release for many MAC people -- as are the new M1s -- to counteract Nvidia card/MAC OS/Studio combo limitations. It should have been tested on 4.12 by you IMO. And somebody like Totte should have tested it on an M1 for you. It would have been easy to do that.

I will get to the bottom of the M1 issue but going back and testing for long unsupported versions is a bit unlikely.
  • davesodaveso Posts: 6,440
    edited March 2022

WendyLuvsCatz said:

I am an outsider looking in but it's actually DAZ you should be getting angry at not Howie for not having legacy versions of DAZ studio hosted somewhere for download since they keep breaking stuff, (for owners of hardware they don't care to support)

I as a Windows user I need 4.11 for my GTX card to not be throttled so feel your pain, fortunately they did actually give me a download back in the day.

If we were to request version 4.12, as an example, through a ticket, would DAZ provide that download? I think 4.12 was the last version I liked overall as far as stability, but they keep updating everything to work with the current version so who knows it it would even work with some products. Obviously not even for USC.

Post edited by daveso on
  • PaintboxPaintbox Posts: 1,633
    edited March 2022

daveso said:

If we were to request version 4.12, as an example, through a ticket, would DAZ provide that download? I think 4.12 was the last version I liked overall as far as stability, but they keep updating everything to work with the current version so who knows it it would even work with some products. Obviously not even for USC.

I once asked for version 4.12 through a ticket but the answer was a stern no. It's really sad you can't even request it. You can try it, but that was my experience.

Post edited by Paintbox on
  • TotteTotte Posts: 13,513

The 4.12 issue I suspect is due to changes in Iray, that made complex shaders working on 4.12 broken on 4.14+ and complex shaders working on 4.14+ broken on 4.12. A recent similar thing is GhostLights.

• GreyFaunGreyFaun Posts: 28

I'm starting to play with UltraSceneryXT, and it's everything I hoped for, and much more ! It worked fine from the start for me (thanks for the user manual). For everyone experincing difficulties, keep trying, it's worth it.

Of course, now I want more, and since it's spring today, especially blooming trees ! But for now, maybe just a tip : is there a way to have a terrain with grass everywhere and no rocks showing ? The rocks are fine, mind you, but I'm trying to capture the feel of a more luxuriant mountain grass.

• Peter WadePeter Wade Posts: 1,604

This looks great but I've had problems with it. Maybe my computer is a under-powered or perhaps it's some oddity in my setup. I've found a way round it so I'm writing this in case anyone else is having similar problems.

I can render scenes with or without water but if I use a biome I get a box saying Error during rendering! The render seems to be over, the Studio interface is active but if I try to render again it says the renderer is already in use. The way I get round this is to save the scene, exit Studio, restart Studio and reload the scene. Next I unparent the biome group from the terrain, select the terrain, go the the UltraSceneyXt settings and switch off the biome. Then I render the scene and it renders OK, UltraSceneryXT doens't re-create the biome but the one left from before renders OK. I have to unparent the biome from the terrain, if I don't then UltraSceneryXT deletes it before rendering.

Since my computer can render the biome it looks as if there is something in the way the plugin gereates it then launches the renderer that my computer doens't like. The error happens every time I use a biome. I've rendered two test scenes with my work around so far and they both worked.

• TotteTotte Posts: 13,513

Sounds likw a low memory issue, but just guessing.

Totte said:

Sounds very likeley. It's a fairly old computer, 12GBytes of RAM and that's the maximum it can take. I'd need to buy a new computer to get any more and that's likely to be rather expensive. 

Peter Wade said:

Totte said:

Sounds very likeley. It's a fairly old computer, 12GBytes of RAM and that's the maximum it can take. I'd need to buy a new computer to get any more and that's likely to be rather expensive. 

At least you found a clever workaround for the problem. I'm impressed by your ingenuity. yes

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,889
    edited March 2022

Playing around with creating new biomes. This is just the conifer biome with colors changed in the json, but at some point I might experiment with new plants and whatnot.

Vega II.jpg
    2000 x 1000 - 581K
    Post edited by Oso3D on
  • GoggerGogger Posts: 2,308

Oso3D said:

...but at some point I might experiment with new plants and whatnot.

(Whispering loudly) If you sell it, we will buy it.
  • memcneil70memcneil70 Posts: 3,750

HowieFarkes said:

Howie, 

I have an M1 MacBookPro and I need to point out that just before the release of your product, macOS Monterey updated to v.12.3 which on the internet is reporting a number of problems with 3rd party software. 

I downloaded USXT through DIM and when I tried to open it, Daz Studio 4.20.0.2 crashed.  I tried the Beta, 4.20.0.8 and it just didn't open. I closed down my computer, reopened it, tried again, this time saving the crash report. Today, I found someone's note that they had a similar problem on page 7 of this thread and I uninstalled both USXT files, closed DIM and rebooted the computer. I was successful in opening Daz Studio. I made a copy of my Help Log from the last time I was on the program to this opening. I also have opened a Help Ticket Request #405385 and asked if they would send you this information, but I will also attach it here for you. Also, all files for UltraScenery are downloaded by DIM and I never mess with the file structure.

I have two other computers Win 10 with it on, so I am able to wait while you figure this out.

Mary

txt
    txt
    Translated Report 4.20.0.2 .txt
    txt
    txt
    DS Log 2022_03_17 to 2022_03_22.txt

Created my first non-test scene, I'm enjoying this. I added a small amout of 4.20's Matte Fog to add a sense of distance. I had to switch off the limits on Matte Fog visibility and turn it up to 100,000 metres.

On the technical side, it's behaving differently today. The only changes I've made are to disable the Octane plugin (it kept telling me it was finishing doing stuff even though I wasn't using it) and not running Chrome at the same time to try and save memory. It isn't crashing on render which is great. Also, it isn't creating a group of instances for the biome parented to the terrain. In fact I can't find the biome instances anywhere in the scene tab which is really confusing me. Anyway, technical matters are not important, I made a picture that I'm happy with.

Dragon.png
    1600 x 900 - 3M