UltraSceneryXT - large terrain/landscape generator

Comments

• sandmanmaxsandmanmax Posts: 992
    edited March 2022

Let there be dragons... (Funny, how many of our images feature things flying thru the air).  I had 6 dragons in this and decided I didn't like it.  But DS rendered it without any complaints.

Homebound.png
    1000 x 563 - 743K
    Post edited by sandmanmax on
  • TugpsxTugpsx Posts: 734
    edited March 2022

Here is a quick USXT anim

USXTTest1b_00182.png
    720 x 480 - 687K
    Post edited by Tugpsx on
  • barbultbarbult Posts: 23,200

Tugpsx said:

Here is a quick USXT anim

Nice! It shows how well those USX trees render even up close. It looks like your drone crashed at one point. wink It kind of adds realism. That quick spiraling to the ground is what would happen if I tried to operate a real drone. It looks like Octane Render did a nice job with this, too. I look forward to more of your creations.

• The video is not rated on vimeo, need to log in to see. So, as I have no need, desire or intention of having a Vimeo account, it's a no see video for me.

Regards,

Richard

richardandtracy said:

The video is not rated on vimeo, need to log in to see. So, as I have no need, desire or intention of having a Vimeo account, it's a no see video for me.

Regards,

Richard

Thanks for the info, fixed the issue. Please try again, you should be able to view them without signing in now. 

• Steel RatSteel Rat Posts: 373

So I just purchased this, installed with DIM, but there are no icons in the folder to start XT. The description doesn't say Ultrascenery original is required, although I do have it. So how do I get started with this? There is no manual or anything in the main folder for this product, it is empty. Only the subfolders (materials, plants, etc) have items in them.

edited March 2022

barbult said:

There's documentation in PDF form. UltraSceneryXT Reference Guide.pdf in the ReadMe's folder.

Why not have it in the product folder like Ultrascenery does? (this stupid DAZ editor won't let me out of quote mode).

FYI, there is nothing in the Panes menu for Ultrascenry after install. I assume I have to restart DS? This is not a good experience so far. And as the other poster mentioned, how is one supposed to know this, especially since Ultrascenery doesn't work this way?

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
    edited March 2022

Here is the USXT locatioon when installed with DIM

USXT start location.JPG
    761 x 259 - 40K
    Post edited by Tugpsx on

Thanks Tugpsx, it didn't show up for me until I restarted DS.

The PDF manual really needs to be in the product folder, not buried in readmes outside DS.

Ok I've got it running.

Cameras. There is nothing in the manual about camera placing, it starts "underground" when creating a terrain, and, since this is a very large terrain, it takes a LOT of movement to get the camera in some sort of position to render something useful.

I see the "USX Camera View" in the Resources folder. Double-clicking that adds an object to the screen, that's also underground. But I don't know what it's supposed to do for me. No mention of it at all in the manual.

• AnEye4ArtAnEye4Art Posts: 702

sandmanmax said:

Let there be dragons... (Funny, how many of our images feature things flying thru the air).  I had 6 dragons in this and decided I didn't like it.  But DS rendered it without any complaints.

Well done.

edited March 2022

Steel Rat said:

The PDF manual really needs to be in the product folder, not buried in readmes outside DS.

Use the process shown here to setup launching pdfs and more from within Daz Studio.

Post edited by Tugpsx on

Thanks again, Tugpsx. It's easier to just save the PDF in a folder I can easily find again outside DS. 

But my original point remains, the product needs better packaging and presentation so users know where to begin.

Doesn't look like the biome is populating at all. It says it is when a terrain preset is loaded, but there are no plants at all when rendering.

• Eggs ActlyEggs Actly Posts: 168

Steel Rat said:

Doesn't look like the biome is populating at all. It says it is when a terrain preset is loaded, but there are no plants at all when rendering.

I'm having exactly the same problem - have been pulling what's left of my hair to figure out how to resolve this. 

• markusmaternmarkusmatern Posts: 526
    edited March 2022

Steel Rat said:

Are you doing an Iray preview render? This will not show the biome. You need to start a real render!

Post edited by markusmatern on
  • More XT plus traditional USC. This one uses a custom ecology I made with Code66's USC toolbox.

Introductions.jpg
    1500 x 1000 - 916K

Steel Rat said:

Are you doing an Iray preview render? This will not show the biome. You need to start a real render!

Yes it was an iray render. I'm familiar with ultrascenery, I know that it doesn't work well with iray preview. I also set the render optimization to memory instead of auto. Ultrascenery works perfectly, xt is not.

paulawp (marahzen) said:

More XT plus traditional USC. This one uses a custom ecology I made with Code66's USC toolbox.

Wow! looks great. Thanks for sharing. 

edited March 2022

Steel Rat said:

markusmatern said:

Steel Rat said:

Yes it was an iray render. I'm familiar with ultrascenery, I know that it doesn't work well with iray preview. I also set the render optimization to memory instead of auto. Ultrascenery works perfectly, xt is not.

Remember to set the maps folder or you will not see Biome.

USXT Maps Save location.JPG
    572 x 190 - 18K
    Post edited by Tugpsx on
    OK, well that's not intuitive at all. Will have to try this evening after work. Thanks again!
  • AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,142

Steel Rat said:

OK, well that's not intuitive at all. Will have to try this evening after work. Thanks again!

Plugin creators can only do so much with the API they have to work with. 

AllenArt said:

Steel Rat said:

Plugin creators can only do so much with the API they have to work with. 

Well, a message pops up saying there is no save path set, or something to that effect. How hard would it be to add to that message "biome will not populate without this"? That's not an api limitation, it's just a lack of info.
  • Steel Rat said:

That's normal for plug-ins - they start with Daz Studio, so you need to (close and) restart after installing one.

Daz Studio has a built in way to access the PDF documentation for plugins like UltraSceneryXT. I think few people know this. On the Help menu there is Help Browser (shortcut F1). It opens a window that lets you navigate to documentation, including plugin documentation. For PDF documentation, it launches your default PDF viewer and opens the PDF file.

Once you've accessed the UltraSceneryXT Manual.pdf, you will find lots of useful information. The Basic Operation section tells you how to open the UltraSceneryXT interface pane, how to create a new terrain, and it emphasizes the importance of selecting a folder to save terrain maps in. It says the maps are used for the distribution of the plants, but doesn't specifically say that you won't see the biome without specifying a folder. I think this forum thread needs a list of troubleshooting tips in the first post, just like was done for UltraScenery.

Screenshot 2022-03-25 152001.jpg
    455 x 485 - 76K
  • barbult said:

Daz Studio has a built in way to access the PDF documentation for plugins like UltraSceneryXT. I think few people know this. On the Help menu there is Help Browser (shortcut F1). It opens a window that lets you navigate to documentation, including plugin documentation. For PDF documentation, it launches your default PDF viewer and opens the PDF file.

I had no idea. Thanks for calling my attention to this feature. I had found the PDF the hard way but this is much easier. 

barbult said:

Once you've accessed the UltraSceneryXT Manual.pdf, you will find lots of useful information. The Basic Operation section tells you how to open the UltraSceneryXT interface pane, how to create a new terrain, and it emphasizes the importance of selecting a folder to save terrain maps in. It says the maps are used for the distribution of the plants, but doesn't specifically say that you won't see the biome without specifying a folder. I think this forum thread needs a list of troubleshooting tips in the first post, just like was done for UltraScenery.

I think those tips would be better placed in a hover in the product folder, where one should also find the pdf link. It really amazes me. There are four or five pdfs linked in the original ultrascenery folder and zilch in this one. Esp isn't a thing.

paulawp (marahzen) said:

barbult said:

I had no idea. Thanks for calling my attention to this feature. I had found the PDF the hard way but this is much easier. 

Spread the word! smiley

edited March 2022

There are a few other assets that work great with USXT, i remember someone asked how do you find a good camera view in these environments?

@barbult has a great set of cameras in one of her USC threads and Canary's Cameras is a great tool to grab.

To quickly find great angles use RiverSoft Art Camera Switcher or mCasual tools.

Post edited by Tugpsx on
  • DaventakiDaventaki Posts: 1,621

Thought I would post my flyer too! 

FireBreathersTM032522.jpg
    3000 x 1484 - 4M