UltraSceneryXT - large terrain/landscape generator

Comments

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,200
    edited March 2022

Tugpsx said:

There are a few other assets that work great with USXT, i remember someone asked how do you find a good camera view in these environments?

@barbult has a great set of cameras in one of her USC threads and Canary's Cameras is a great tool to grab.

To quickly find great angles use RiverSoft Art Camera Switcher or mCasual tools.

Canary's Cameras are excellent for UltraScenery and UltraSceneryXT. This is a simple render of the Preset 05 Tenaya from CCam Low 10K NW. The large selection will certainly give you some good starting positions.

USX Preset 05 Tenaya CCam Low 10K NW.jpg
    2000 x 1125 - 1M
    Post edited by barbult on
  • MarshianMarshian Posts: 1,459

Excited to have this! For me, the plugin tab wouldn't show up until I installed it through the DIM instead of Smart COntent, even with restarting. Now thanks to barbult I found the PDF as I'm trying to generate a landscape with my own heightmap. It needs to be loaded through terrain generator and then it will show in the terrain map area. Then use terrain filters to adjust- very cool! I was using Bryce and Photoshop to create geometry like this. So nice to keep it in DS

I'm wondering if 16bit grayscale images will provide a detailed smooth starting point

• AnEye4ArtAnEye4Art Posts: 702
    edited March 2022

This landscape was made using a colormap, normal map, height map and a splatmap exported from WC. I used the splatmap as a mask in the biome section to control the tree distribution.

FlyOver.png
    1931 x 869 - 3M
    Post edited by AnEye4Art on
  • sandmanmaxsandmanmax Posts: 992
    edited March 2022

Daventaki said:

Thought I would post my flyer too! 

Cool!!  What kind of dragons are those? And how did you make the islands?  Just raise the water or is there an Island preset I haven't noticed yet?

Post edited by sandmanmax on

paulawp (marahzen) said:

More XT plus traditional USC. This one uses a custom ecology I made with Code66's USC toolbox.

Very nice!  It's totally seamless.  I never would have guessed you used both sets.

• sandmanmax said:

paulawp (marahzen) said:

More XT plus traditional USC. This one uses a custom ecology I made with Code66's USC toolbox.

Very nice!  It's totally seamless.  I never would have guessed you used both sets.

The long grass is definitely your friend for this.

I'm trying to create a desert USC foreground that is more typical of the US Southwest, to go with some of those really nice desert presets in XT, but I need to go back to the drawing board on USC itself to learn how to do that.

• DaventakiDaventaki Posts: 1,621

sandmanmax said:

Daventaki said:

Cool!!  What kind of dragons are those? And how did you make the islands?  Just raise the water or is there an Island preset I haven't noticed yet?

This is made with Terrain 00, Quabbin Preset, Mixed Forest Biome and the Noise settings in the image.   The dragons are Herschel Hoffmeyer's beautiful Wyverns. Late Morning Sun-Sky preset from US.

noise.jpg
    432 x 362 - 53K
    edited March 2022

I changed the tree type to pine in the snow render, otherwise all three renders are the same scene (lighting, camera angle, etc.) but with different maps applied from WC. I just replaced the previous maps with new ones, load the scene, and everything updates - pretty cool.

FlyOver.png
    1931 x 869 - 3M
    FlyOver 2.png
    1931 x 869 - 2M
    FlyOver 3.png
    1931 x 869 - 3M

Daventaki said:

sandmanmax said:

Daventaki said:

This is made with Terrain 00, Quabbin Preset, Mixed Forest Biome and the Noise settings in the image.   The dragons are Herschel Hoffmeyer's beautiful Wyverns. Late Morning Sun-Sky preset from US.

[head smack] I have that! I really need to figure out what I own. Maybe more rendering, less shopping...

• richardandtracyrichardandtracy Posts: 5,092
    edited March 2022

I have had a lovely bit of fun just creating with USXT. I did notice though, on this latest one, some odd pyramidal artefacts (two along the far foreshore halfway up on the left, others elsewhere). Has anyone else had something similar?

Regards,

Richard

USXT 02 R02.jpg
    1860 x 936 - 424K
    Post edited by richardandtracy on
    edited March 2022

richardandtracy said:

I have had a lovely bit of fun just creating with USXT. I did notice though, on this latest one, some odd pyramidal artefacts (two along the far foreshore halfway up on the left, others elsewhere). Has anyone else had something similar?

Regards,

Richard

Maybe I'm not looking in the right place, but aren't those shadows from the rocks? Can you circle in red or something, the areas of concern? If you change the light angle, do the triangles change?

Post edited by barbult on
    edited March 2022

richardandtracy said:

Regards,

Richard

Yeah. I can see them. They're all over. The close-up terrain looks very faceted and sharp edged - the result of low resolution, I think.  Have you tried smoothing?

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,890

First thing I'd try is switching to 1024 if it's at 512. If it's already there, I'd switch on Height Map (if it isn't on) and apply smoothing.

• AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,142

richardandtracy said:

Regards,

Richard

They look like flatirons :) 

AllenArt said:

richardandtracy said:

Regards,

Richard

Is the bottom one a world creator assisted terrain? It looks good.

edited March 2022

I love what WC and USXT can do. WC and USXT sitting in a tree......

FlyOver 5.png
    1931 x 869 - 3M
    FlyOver 7.png
    1931 x 869 - 3M
  • AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,142

AnEye4Art said:

AllenArt said:

richardandtracy said:

Regards,

Richard

Is the bottom one a world creator assisted terrain? It looks good.

I believe it is a real picture of The Flatiron mountains in Colorado, I think. LOL 

• richardandtracyrichardandtracy Posts: 5,092
    edited March 2022

barbult said:

richardandtracy said:

Regards,

Richard

Maybe I'm not looking in the right place, but aren't those shadows from the rocks? Can you circle in red or something, the areas of concern? If you change the light angle, do the triangles change?

Most are identified below:

The scene was modelled at a 512 resolution. The pyramids look as if they could be due to one of two reasons: Insufficient resolution on the mesh or rounding issues on the vertex altitude. Probably mesh density. They are not a problem - I only noticed the first by accident - just curious if anyone else has come across them. I shall try smothing (if I haven't already). I will also see if I can get a duf file that I can share this evening - the machine is offline and not the one I am on at the moment. The sky is a freebie HDRI not everyone might have, so I need to get rid of that.

One other problem/oddity I had was that the height limitation on the biome only responded to the <Enter> key on the main keyboard. No changes were kept if I used the <Enter> key on the number pad, and even when using the main <Enter> key, the USXT addon only changed the Biome height limit every third attempt. When changing the forest lower altitude I could only get altitudes of 0m or 1m to register (I ended up with 1m) and not my desired 0.25m to give a small shoreline.

Regards,

Richard

USXT 02 R02 Highlighted.jpg
    1860 x 936 - 425K
    Post edited by richardandtracy on

Thanks for circling those artifacts. I see what you mean now. The ones on the beach are really strange looking. I haven't noticed it before, but maybe I just didn't look closely enough.

• HowieFarkesHowieFarkes Posts: 585

richardandtracy said:

barbult said:

richardandtracy said:

Regards,

Richard

Most are identified below:

The scene was modelled at a 512 resolution. The pyramids look as if they could be due to one of two reasons: Insufficient resolution on the mesh or rounding issues on the vertex altitude. Probably mesh density. They are not a problem - I only noticed the first by accident - just curious if anyone else has come across them. I shall try smothing (if I haven't already). I will also see if I can get a duf file that I can share this evening - the machine is offline and not the one I am on at the moment. The sky is a freebie HDRI not everyone might have, so I need to get rid of that.

One other problem/oddity I had was that the height limitation on the biome only responded to the <Enter> key on the main keyboard. No changes were kept if I used the <Enter> key on the number pad, and even when using the main <Enter> key, the USXT addon only changed the Biome height limit every third attempt. When changing the forest lower altitude I could only get altitudes of 0m or 1m to register (I ended up with 1m) and not my desired 0.25m to give a small shoreline.

Regards,

Richard

I think they're artefacts from the erosion algorithm when the steep limit property is too low - maybe raise the steep-limit value to reduce them a bit.
  • Thanks Howie, I will try that.

Regards,

Richard

• MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,160

I was suffering withdrawal symptoms because I'd not been able to render anything for a few days (other things happening) but got back today. This is a Fairweather preset with an added heightmap created in Bryce and mixed as 100% map to 60% noise. (Clouds and birds added in postwork)

USCXT-Fairweather-Mod.jpg
    1024 x 576 - 649K
  • GoggerGogger Posts: 2,312

MelanieL said:

I was suffering withdrawal symptoms because I'd not been able to render anything for a few days (other things happening) but got back today. This is a Fairweather preset with an added heightmap created in Bryce and mixed as 100% map to 60% noise. (Clouds and birds added in postwork)

NICE! Now that's more like what I am trying to achieve in my renders. Great job!
  • Anarkia333Anarkia333 Posts: 104

Oh no my Bank account will burn again.... xD

• Anarkia333Anarkia333 Posts: 104

AnEye4Art said:

I was finally able to export heightmap, colormap and normal map from worldcreator, create a USXT terrain in daz and apply them all.

Can you explain Material in DAZ for Import World creator?

If I understand Shader for UltraScenery is special... 

• You can apply whatever shader you want to the mesh and put the World Creator maps in there.

edited March 2022

Anarkia333 said:

AnEye4Art said:

I was finally able to export heightmap, colormap and normal map from worldcreator, create a USXT terrain in daz and apply them all.

Can you explain Material in DAZ for Import World creator?

If I understand Shader for UltraScenery is special... 

It's rather simple to do: I just clear the shaders from the USXT terrain and apply the WC exported texture to it. Then simply use USXT to apply the others like normal, splat and height. Before, I had to use L.I.E to flip the texture vertically to apply correctly.

• jag11jag11 Posts: 885
    edited March 2022

Tried the biggest resolution.

USXT2.png
    1920 x 804 - 2M
    Post edited by jag11 on
  • PlatnumkPlatnumk Posts: 663

Is there a any chance that someone could do a mini guide on how to combine ltraSceneryXT with UltraScenery

• How does one stop the terrain from rotating? I rotated the terrain to my liking, but when I hit render it changes.