MetaMixer

Comments

• Faux2DFaux2D Posts: 452

I don't suppose the process for creating MM presets will ever be documented, so that I can hack all my characters from renderosity? Or so that the original authors could MM-ify their own products?

PA's might get access to it but I don't know for sure. 

• davesodaveso Posts: 6,443

well, this thing doesnt seem to work for me. The little faces in the 3 nodes are sort of grayed out. When I see the powerpose face with the dots, nothing seems to move, but the lag is terrible. It slows my DS to slower than a crawl and nothing is happening as far as morphs or facial changes. Does it have to be G8.1 or will 8 work? 
     Its not like I have a real old system, 32meg ram and an AMD 3800x. i guess its too old for DS anymore though. This is the last system I will ever be able to afford, so this might be it. 

I saw quite a few HD charaqcters get updated, but the question has not been answered. how do you get them into the mixer thing? 

• khorneV2khorneV2 Posts: 146

daveso said:

well, this thing doesnt seem to work for me. The little faces in the 3 nodes are sort of grayed out. When I see the powerpose face with the dots, nothing seems to move, but the lag is terrible. It slows my DS to slower than a crawl and nothing is happening as far as morphs or facial changes. Does it have to be G8.1 or will 8 work? 
     Its not like I have a real old system, 32meg ram and an AMD 3800x. i guess its too old for DS anymore though. This is the last system I will ever be able to afford, so this might be it. 

I saw quite a few HD charaqcters get updated, but the question has not been answered. how do you get them into the mixer thing? 

as the tutorial says, you need to activate filament preview mode and erase eyelashes and tears from your model, so laging dissapear

khorneV2 said:

daveso said:

as the tutorial says, you need to activate filament preview mode and erase eyelashes and tears from your model, so laging dissapear

filament. never used it before. didn't want to. guess will have to. How do I get the other characters into the mixer?  

• Honestly, if this was usable for all morphs/all characters it'd be much easier.
    I like to mix my custom characters that I bring in from Blender.
    I also just make toon, if this is just to mix hyper-real HD characters I'm not sure how useful this'll be for me.
    I was excited.

• SnowSultanSnowSultan Posts: 3,507

Couple of things:

- Don't worry about having to buy the HD morphs over again, I cannot imagine they would ask that. They'll just update them to included presets for Metamixer and you'll have to download them again. We might have to buy the actual presets for the characters, but they'll probably be pretty cheap.

- You don't need to use Filament to use Metamixer. In the example screencap below, I just have the basic preview on with gray surface settings (not the Metamixer one, it's too reflective). You won't be able to see the little character icons in the three circles if you don't use Filament (or Iray), but it's not a huge deal. I would also use a basic light HDRI rather than the three colored spotlights for both speed and visibility.

- To make things easier, try doing what I did here: make a new workspace tab by customizing Studio's interface, give Powerpose a very large panel, and then save G8M and G8F scenes that are all set up with the Metamixer interface. You'll be able to load them in, switch to your Metamixer tab, and quickly get started. 

meta.jpg
    1277 x 697 - 102K
  • CHWTCHWT Posts: 1,138
    Okay I see the add-on bundle just released. So do I need the respective DAZ Originals HD of the figures for this bundle to work? Sorry I am still confused.
  • CHWT said:

Okay I see the add-on bundle just released. So do I need the respective DAZ Originals HD of the figures for this bundle to work? Sorry I am still confused.

You're not the only one still confused. I purchased MetaMixer (no, I didn't get it free) believing I wouldn't need to purchase anything more, given each of the add-on discriptions imply that they are for those that don't already own the base characters themselves ("MetaMixer Add-Ons allow you to use that character's head shape in MetaMixer whether or not the character is in your library.") and there being a user (Gordig) that claimed if you owned a character you could use it, so enough of the confusion, can an official Tafi/Daz person comment and clear things up already?

• Charlie JudgeCharlie Judge Posts: 12,326
    edited November 2021

So, if I already own all the HD addons is there any need or advantage to buying the Metamixer Megabundle?

Post edited by Charlie Judge on
  • Ghosty12Ghosty12 Posts: 1,982
    edited November 2021

SnowSultan said:

Couple of things:

- Don't worry about having to buy the HD morphs over again, I cannot imagine they would ask that. They'll just update them to included presets for Metamixer and you'll have to download them again. We might have to buy the actual presets for the characters, but they'll probably be pretty cheap.

- You don't need to use Filament to use Metamixer. In the example screencap below, I just have the basic preview on with gray surface settings (not the Metamixer one, it's too reflective). You won't be able to see the little character icons in the three circles if you don't use Filament (or Iray), but it's not a huge deal. I would also use a basic light HDRI rather than the three colored spotlights for both speed and visibility.

- To make things easier, try doing what I did here: make a new workspace tab by customizing Studio's interface, give Powerpose a very large panel, and then save G8M and G8F scenes that are all set up with the Metamixer interface. You'll be able to load them in, switch to your Metamixer tab, and quickly get started. 

Unfortunately for the base characters, you have to pay for the Metamixer updates.. For Victoria 8 is one of the Metamixer shapes, I own the product already and I imagine many others do as well, on looking on the store page it isn't free for those who already own the original character base product..

Post edited by Ghosty12 on
    daveso said:

khorneV2 said:

daveso said:

filament. never used it before. didn't want to. guess will have to. How do I get the other characters into the mixer?  

Dunno maybe they must be updated with metamixer features if so. I guess thé morphing tool can be used (maybe on all generations ? )
  • SnowSultanSnowSultan Posts: 3,507

It seems like the Metamixer add-ons are basically like buying only the head morph for that particular character - no body morph and no textures. Not a bad deal if you're a PC+ member and like a particular face shape.

For Victoria 8 is one of the Metamixer shapes, I own the product already and I imagine many others do as well, on looking on the store page it isn't free for those who already own the original character base product..

Yeah that I'm not sure about yet. Maybe the base characters will also get updated to include Metamixer presets for those who bought them. We need to give this a little bit of time to get straightened out. 

• SnowSultan said:

Yeah that I'm not sure about yet. Maybe the base characters will also get updated to include Metamixer presets for those who bought them. We need to give this a little bit of time to get straightened out. 

I'm just hoping that we aren't stuck waiting too long. It'd be great if we knew for certain whether or not we still need to purchase the add-ons for characters we already own asap, so as not to miss out on the current black friday sale.

• no noseno nose Posts: 300

Well this is dissapointing, I was hoping to be able to make the most of my already to big character library with this, but if I have to buy all these addons, then I doubt I would be using this that often.

• galiengalien Posts: 136

SnowSultan said:

It seems like the Metamixer add-ons are basically like buying only the head morph for that particular character - no body morph and no textures. Not a bad deal if you're a PC+ member and like a particular face shape.

In addition to the full head morph the add-on's also include a full set of morphs that allow the individual parts of the character's head to be applied on their own.  You can, for example, just add the character's mouth or ears or eyes or any of the other parts supported by MetaMixer.

The MetaMixer PowerPose interface only allows 3 character's to be combined at once, but you can create new characters based on more than 3 character's by manually dialling in the morphs.

@SnowSultan, I noticed that your crystal ball was working remarkably well this morning.

• they are reselling you the farm my friends devil

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,172

Wicked Whomp said:

CHWT said:

and there being a user (Gordig) that claimed if you owned a character you could use it

I made no claims; I was only pointing out that responses to a post were not responding to what the post actually said. Now that MetaMixer is out in the world, it's become clear that the language used to promote it is, at best, confusing, and at worst, counterfactual.

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,929

gamesfromlove said:

Honestly, if this was usable for all morphs/all characters it'd be much easier.
    I like to mix my custom characters that I bring in from Blender.
    I also just make toon, if this is just to mix hyper-real HD characters I'm not sure how useful this'll be for me.
    I was excited.

I'm hoping for Cartoonized for G8F / G8M, Babyfied for G8F / G8M, both generations of Toon Generations for G8, Joe Quick's Toon Characters, RawArt's Creatures, J.Cade's toon duo, OSO's characters, a smattering of DAZ characters like Karyn & Tobyn, and probably a few others I am forgetting about to be usable in this product eventually.

• CHWTCHWT Posts: 1,138

For Victoria 8 is one of the Metamixer shapes, I own the product already and I imagine many others do as well, on looking on the store page it isn't free for those who already own the original character base product..

Uh-oh. You made me realize that I missed a very important point - the body shape. Maybe further add-ons for what's below the neck in the future... ??
  • Faux2DFaux2D Posts: 452

galien said:

The MetaMixer PowerPose interface only allows 3 character's to be combined at once, but you can create new characters based on more than 3 character's by manually dialling in the morphs.

You can save the character preset using the Save MetaMixer Preset script found in the Elements folder of MetaMixer. You can apply this preset directly on a fresh Genesis figure and then load MetaMixer again to mix more than 3 characters. However I do not recommend blending more than 3 characters because morphs are additive and you will likely get some freaky looking faces at some point. The MetaMixer presets work for both Male and Female Genesis 8/8.1.

Another thing you can do is after creating your custom character you can load other widgets after the fact. For instance if you started with Celani 8 and then load Torment 8.1 in the same slot, then all the Celani 8 morphs will be replaced with Torment 8.1 morphs without affecting whatever changes you made through the PowerPose UI.

• galiengalien Posts: 136

Faux2D said:

galien said:

You can save the character preset using the Save MetaMixer Preset script found in the Elements folder of MetaMixer. You can apply this preset directly on a fresh Genesis figure and then load MetaMixer again to mix more than 3 characters. However I do not recommend blending more than 3 characters because morphs are additive and you will likely get some freaky looking faces at some point. The MetaMixer presets work for both Male and Female Genesis 8/8.1.

Another thing you can do is after creating your custom character you can load other widgets after the fact. For instance if you started with Celani 8 and then load Torment 8.1 in the same slot, then all the Celani 8 morphs will be replaced with Torment 8.1 morphs without affecting whatever changes you made through the PowerPose UI.

This is a fair enough point.  I have already noticed that if you set the morphs manually, it is sometime necessary to set negative values for some of the characters in the blend (and that you also need to match any eye morph with the same value in the eyeball morph).  The powerpose interface greatly simplifies this.

I had noticed in the tutorial videos that you were combining male and female characters, and in your post here you again talk of combining male and female morphs.  If I try this it just doesn't work.  Is there a trick to doing this?

I thought that the work you did on FACS controls for Genesis 8.1 was excellent, and I think that MetaMixer is even better.  There have been a few people grumbling about MetaMixer in the forums, but I would like to thank you for bringing this to Daz Studio.   It's an incredibly powerful and flexible system.

Faux2D said:

galien said:

is there a "reset parametersé feature ? (button or script) i guess it would be usefull

• WolfwoodWolfwood Posts: 675

Nothing official, but: In regards of if people owning the core characters need to buy this it looks that as long as you own the HD-Add ons you already have the new Meta Mixer Add ons. The description in the HD-Addon does indicate that it includes the meta mixer part:

https://www.daz3d.com/michael-8-hd-add-on

So, owning only the base figure do not include the meta mixer add ons, only the HD addon.

It would be best if the HD-Addons changes to be bundles so people having them could easily see if they own the new meta mixer  new releases. Also, would be very helpful is this info is actually included the description of the meta mixer, so someone distracted don't buy when they already own it.

• ChoppskiChoppski Posts: 441

Here's what's not clear to me. If I OWN Owen or Kjaer, do I have to BUY the metamixer version to use that figure? If so I doubt I'll use it even if it was free to buy. I get that the four that come with it we can use whether we own the character or not, but I want to know if I have to buy new plugins for characters I already own.

most confusing product. 

• AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,140
    edited November 2021

Choppski said:

Here's what's not clear to me. If I OWN Owen or Kjaer, do I have to BUY the metamixer version to use that figure? If so I doubt I'll use it even if it was free to buy. I get that the four that come with it we can use whether we own the character or not, but I want to know if I have to buy new plugins for characters I already own.

You do have to buy the plugin for characters you already own. Funny how no one from Daz would confirm this, even though they had multiple questions. And if anyone says it was a holiday, Daz-Jessica was on and so was Daz_Rawb, not to mention a few PA's who had to have known, tho I can understand why they didn't say anything.

Post edited by AllenArt on
  • Ghosty12Ghosty12 Posts: 1,982
    edited November 2021

AllenArt said:

Choppski said:

You do have to buy the plugin for characters you already own. Funny how no one from Daz would confirm this, even though they had multiple questions. And if anyone says it was a holiday, Daz-Jessica was on and so was Daz_Rawb, not to mention a few PA's who had to have known, tho I can understand why they didn't say anything.

When I first saw this plugin I thought cool, but now not so much..  And well for me anyway I find I use 3DUniverse's Character Mixer product more often, as it does what I want and I do get some interesting combinations..

Post edited by Ghosty12 on
  • Charlie JudgeCharlie Judge Posts: 12,326
    edited November 2021

AllenArt said:

Choppski said:

Is this also true if you own all the characters and their HD add-ons ?  Do we still need the Metamixer addons ?

Post edited by Charlie Judge on
  • AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,140
    edited November 2021

Charlie Judge said:

AllenArt said:

Choppski said:

Is this also true if you own all the characters and their HD add-ons ?  Do we still need the Metamixer addons ?

I believe you do. There is nothing in the copy that says "if you own X you don't need this product" I have 76 characters and almost all their HD addons. The only figures I've been able to get to work are the ones that came with MetaMixer. Maybe the HD's were working, but the effect was so subtle I could barely see it. You need the addons for the bases.

Post edited by AllenArt on
  • WolfwoodWolfwood Posts: 675

AllenArt said:

Charlie Judge said:

AllenArt said:

Choppski said:

I believe you do. There is nothing in the copy that says "if you own X you don't need this product" I have 76 characters and almost all their HD addons. The only figures I've been able to get to work are the ones that came with MetaMixer. Maybe the HD's were working, but the effect was so subtle I could barely see it. You need the addons for the bases.

That is the problem, they don't say it. And i don't understand why.

But if you look at the description of the HD-Addons the "what's included" part indicates it has the metamixer presets:

2021-11-26 14_16_28-Michael 8 HD Add-On _ Daz 3D.png
    1216 x 576 - 81K