Carrara Challenge #61 – Iconic movie Scene - WIP Thread

Comments

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125

Bunyip02 said:

Use the Force, Luke https://www.starwars.com/video/use-the-force-luke

WIP

Render

Second Render

For children of all ages!  I've heard that many people have adopted 'the force' as a centerpiece of belief system, which demonstrates universal themes.  "Negative, negative, it just impacted on the surface.  Aaaaaah."  yes

• Diomede said:

Ray Harryhausen tribute.  

Jason and the Argonauts, 1963 version.  https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0057197/

M4 as Jason fighting the Poser skeletons among marble ruins.  I used the NPR renderer to render out the shield logos (argo ship, ram fleece, and scorpion) which enables the option of the outlines. 

Scene setup attached.  Vibrance adjusted with the aid of filter forge.

Very nice render. I love Ray Harryhausen. Even if stop motion cannot compare with CGI effects in terms of realism, it's still impressive.

For reference  

• Stezza said:

all modelled in Carrara smiley

Computer Cult

A good reason for rendering a cult is not to fully understand something 

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic (clarkes third law).

I think it applies nicely to early computers.

It also applies to your famous cube.  It's amazing how much diversity emerges from it wink.

• Diomede said:

Realizing that one of the best parts of this challenge is going to be reminiscing.  

I hope so wink 

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,988

Diomede said:

Ray Harryhausen tribute.  

M4 as Jason fighting the Poser skeletons among marble ruins.  I used the NPR renderer to render out the shield logos (argo ship, ram fleece, and scorpion) which enables the option of the outlines. 

my fav movie when I was a young kid and still is... watched it last year and due for another looksee

you know you have to do the other scenes as well now @Diomede

awesome  yesheart

edited January 2022

WIP for Gone With the Wind

'As God is my witness.  I will never be hungry again!'

In the original scene, the silhouette is more stark but the clouds are more white.  Thus far, I have a simple setup with Genesis 2 Female, a terrain, a volumetric cloud, and a realistic sky.  To get more of the effect I want, I think I need to darken the terrain shader and shine a light on the underside of the clouds.  One feature I like about Carrara is to control which objects are lit by each light.  

Also, I need to add some details, like replicating some grass and constructing some fence lines.

Never Hungry Again 01.png
    1600 x 900 - 315K
    Post edited by Diomede on

Philemo and Stezza, thanks for the comments on Jason and the Argonauts

edited January 2022

Replicated some grass and a made a fence from duplicated primitive cubes, played with the light for the volumetric cloud and the sky color.  Is it too dark on the forum?  I also applied the glorious technicolor filter in FF.

Glorious Technicolor.jpg
    1600 x 900 - 184K
    edited January 2022

Here is the scene clip from Gone with the Wind.  The specific shot inspiring my render is in the 1:33 - 1:48 time range.

• UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588

Diomede said:

Replicated some grass and a made a fence from duplicated primitive cubes, played with the light for the volumetric cloud and the sky color.  Is it too dark on the forum?  I also applied the glorious technicolor filter in FF.

No, it is not too dark when clicked.  Very well done.  And it is a clever scene to choose, as it is a silhouette, so you don't have to get too detailed with the character. :)

Stezza said:

Diomede said:

Ray Harryhausen tribute.  

my fav movie when I was a young kid and still is... watched it last year and due for another looksee

One of my favs as a kid as well.  Another great selection and render, Diomede!

Didn't he do the cyclops a while back?

edited January 2022

UB, thanks for the comments on Jason/Skeletons and Gone with the Wind.  One of my issues this challenge is that I have already done homages to many of my favorite TV and movie scenes in previous challenges.  My current forum avatar is a mashup of Wizard of Oz and Metropolis.  I am not complaining.  It is a good issue to have.  I love old movies and tv shows.  I enjoy both Lucille Ball and Jackie Chan very much.  Don't be surprised if my final two entries reference them in some way.  On the other hand, when I think of what are considered the iconic movie scenes (ones that get remade or referenced by subsequent movies), I find it hard to just choose a few.

Well done, Philemo.

Speaking of Jackie Chan, I am always looking for excuses to praise him.  I think I have posted this video essay on Jackie Chan before, but it is especially relevant for this challenge.  The youtuber shows ways that Jackie Chan appplies the principles of Silent Comedy to his movies, with side-by-side comparisons between Jackie Chan scenes and Charlie Chaplin, Buster Keaton, and Harold Lloyd.  Worth a watch.  Or worth another watch.

UnifiedBrain said:

Stezza said:

Diomede said:

Ray Harryhausen tribute.  

One of my favs as a kid as well.  Another great selection and render, Diomede!

Didn't he do the cyclops a while back?

I'm not  sure...

but I did sit down in front of the telly with Netflix yesterday arvo and watched Jason & the Argonauts again.....  heart

Philemo_Carrara said:

Stezza said:

all modelled in Carrara smiley

Computer Cult

A good reason for rendering a cult is not to fully understand something 

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic (clarkes third law).

I think it applies nicely to early computers.

It also applies to your famous cube.  It's amazing how much diversity emerges from it wink.

I noticed you changed the theme title to Iconic Movie Scenes from Cult Scenes

my idea of my render really doesn't fit the theme anymore ... I'll have to think of something else . frown

The description says each of us has his or her own scenes considered iconic.  It varies from person to person.  If you think it is iconic, it is iconic.  Of course, it has to fit the forum terms of service.  All that stuff limiting sex, violence, politics, etc.  

@Philemo said  Everybody who has ever gone to movies or watched television has its own set of iconic scenes. I’ve got plenty of them, ranging from a cartoon wolf meeting little red hood in a night club, to a light sabre fight featuring paternity talks and including a paid enforcer dancing twist with his boss wife, Australopithecus observing a black monolith, Sally having a fake orgasm in a coffee shop and plenty more (so many I don’t want to bore you with it).

• Stezza said:

I noticed you changed the theme title to Iconic Movie Scenes from Cult Scenes

my idea of my render really doesn't fit the theme anymore ... I'll have to think of something else . frown

I'll send you a PM explaining it.

You idea may be reused wink 

Check this link at about 1'30

Philemo, I have a question/request.  If the film we choose does not have an iconic scene per se, can we creatre one that more or less fits the theme of the film?

In other words, can we invent out own iconic scene?  In that scenario, it could even be an iconic scene that "should" have been in the movie, or perhaps a modern version which updates an old scene (King Kong atop the building swats at modern helicopters rather than biplanes).

For me, that will expand the boundaries of the topic.  But I understand if it doesn't meet your expectations.

• UnifiedBrain said:

Philemo, I have a question/request.  If the film we choose does not have an iconic scene per se, can we creatre one that more or less fits the theme of the film?

In other words, can we invent out own iconic scene?  In that scenario, it could even be an iconic scene that "should" have been in the movie, or perhaps a modern version which updates an old scene (King Kong atop the building swats at modern helicopters rather than biplanes).

For me, that will expand the boundaries of the topic.  But I understand if it doesn't meet your expectations.

By all mean, please do.

As far as I'm concerned, this is an artistic challenge, not a programing contest wink. The challenge topic is to be considered as an inspiration guide, not a strict frame smiley.

Awesome Philemo, thank you! 

Another question - are you going to update the GMIC plugin?  Mind you, I'm not complaining.  Rather, I'm thrilled with the current version, as it is part of my workflow in every render these days.  But I saw you post something about updating it a while back, hence the question.

edited January 2022

I Have Met the Ancient Astronaut... and he is us

In 1968, Erich von Daniken published "Chariots of the Gods", which caused quite a stir by questioning if cave paintings and other ancient artifacts were evidence of visits by alien civilizations.  Two years later, a documentary film based on the book was released.  Also called Chariots of the Gods, it became the 9th highest grossing film of 1970.  It has spawned countless other books, movies and TV shows (including the ongoing series "Ancient Aliens" - 16 seasons so far - produced by the History Channel).   

This render loosly fits the iconic "Chariots" theme of visitation, although it blends in some Planet of the Apes time loop as well. :)

Headwax kind of started this render.  In a different thread, he asked questions about the Homo Erectus character.  I got interested because I owned the M4 version, but had never opened it.  The version presented here was imported from DS via collada, without any morphs.  Also appearing is a modified version of the M3 Spacesuit, which I had also never used before.

I went for a somewhat painted look.  Not entirely successful, I think, because the BG and the characters have different textures. 

No postwork, but the BG was heavily edited in PSE.

* The title is a play on words from the famous Pogo cartoon by Walt Kelly (and the cartoon itself was a play on words from a famous quote from Oliver Perry)

I've Met the Ancient Alien.png
    1900 x 1267 - 4M
    I've Met the Carrara Setup.JPG
    1497 x 1017 - 212K
    Post edited by UnifiedBrain on
    edited January 2022

UnifiedBrain - I have 'watched' many of the episodes of the first 6 seasons of Ancient Aliens, and am a big Planet of the Apes fan.  The History Channel has found its niche, sort of like when the Travel Channel built an audience for the World Series of Poker, which is now shown on bigger budget networks.  I'd say you've gotten a much more painterly look than many of your previous entries. Well done. If you are looking for constructive criticism, I'd say that the unifying effect of the overall painterly texture might be obscuring the figures and usefully offset with more color contrast between the figures and the background, and by adjusting rim lights.  Speaking of the background, I like the symbols on the wall.  Did you apply a texture to a cube, or insert a pic in the backdrop, or....?

EDIT: By 'watched' many of the episodes, I mean I put it on at night and fall asleep.

UnifiedBrain said:

Also called Chariots of the Gods, it became the 9th highest grossing film of 1970.  It has spawned countless other books, movies and TV shows (including the ongoing series "Ancient Aliens" - 16 seasons so far - produced by the History Channel).   

actually 17 seasons with season 18 currently showing in some parts of the world now ( 2022 ) 

I've watched up to S17 laugh

dunno when we get S18 though downunder

great image... I recon the astronaut must have given him a haircut though wink

Diomede said:

Speaking of the background, I like the symbols on the wall.  Did you apply a texture to a cube, or insert a pic in the backdrop, or....?

Thanks for the comment and suggestion.

It started out as an actual picture of the Barrier Canyon petroglyphs.  But I changed things around in PSE by moving paintings, adding paintings, and retexturing.

Stezza said:

great image... I recon the astronaut must have given him a haircut though 
    wink

Thanks.  I decided that I liked the short hair look better than adding hair.  But maybe he was just trying to get cleaned up for the visitor. :)

edited January 2022

Hunt for RED October

modelled a sub for this image

items used were Phils ocean and wake, DZFire's flock of seagulls, LoRenzo and Phils people from cityscapes duplicated and a couple of models I got from the Google 3d place and converted to use in Carrara

setup_wip_redoct.jpg
    1548 x 780 - 183K
    Red October.jpg
    800 x 600 - 563K
    Post edited by Stezza on

Stezza said:

Hunt for RED October

items used were Phils ocean and wake, DZFire's flock of seagulls, LoRenzo and Phils people from cityscapes duplicated and a couple of models I got from the Google 3d place and converted to use in Carrara

That is one super sub!  And an even more super scene.  Great idea to get some variety by using PhilW's lores people to add to the lorenzo mix.  

edited January 2022

Not an Entry: Old Spline Tin Man Model

There was a Windows update so naturally I had a bunch of file problems.  So, I went through my old Carrara runtimes just to check on everything.  And I came across this old gem from Carrara Challenge #5.  That challenge had a requirement to use the spline modeler.  Old timers can guess that EvilProducer was the challenge leader.

aa05 had to use splines.jpg
    977 x 83 - 32K
    tin man not an entry.jpg
    600 x 800 - 17K
    edited January 2022

Not an Entry (I don't think); Jackie Chan in Shanghai Noon

In Shanghai Noon, Jackie Chan plays a Chinese guard sent to the US wild west to rescue a kidnapped princess.  Among his creative fight scenes is using the long traditional braid to beat people up.  However, I am not happy with the tone of this scene.  What I like about Jackie Chan is his sense of humor, in addition to the stunts, etc.    

Carrara scene setup attached.

Someone has taken his fight scenes using his hair and set it to a music video.  

jackie chan scene setup.jpg
    1876 x 1006 - 389K
    jackie chan wip maybe.jpg
    1523 x 870 - 277K

Stezza said:

Hunt for RED October

Nicely done!  Good wake around the sub.  I just wsh that you would post bigger renders. :)

By coincidence, I just saw that movie two weeks ago.  I thought that the premise was pretty far-fetched, but the outdoor sub sets were huge and impressive.