Carrara Challenge #61 – Iconic movie Scene - WIP Thread

Comments

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,964

UnifiedBrain said:

I Have Met the Ancient Astronaut... and he is us

Another terrific and poignant image. I wouldn't worry about the textures - that look perfectly painterly :) I've been having success with tiling rock texture images lately laid over another image and then the parameter changed to overlay. It ties things in quite well sometimes.

Stezza said:

Hunt for RED October

modelled a sub for this image

items used were Phils ocean and wake, DZFire's flock of seagulls, LoRenzo and Phils people from cityscapes duplicated and a couple of models I got from the Google 3d place and converted to use in Carrara

great job on the ocean and the wake - looks like the sub is sitting in reall water!!! Have to look out for the fock of seagulls thanks for the headsup!

• UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588

Headwax said:

UnifiedBrain said:

I Have Met the Ancient Astronaut... and he is us

Another terrific and poignant image. I wouldn't worry about the textures - that look perfectly painterly :) I've been having success with tiling rock texture images lately laid over another image and then the parameter changed to overlay. It ties things in quite well sometimes.

HW, thanks for the comments on both images.  And thanks for the tip!

Pleasure . Sorry i havnt been around. I have been lurking though!

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,988

With the forum being more volatile than a pacific volcano it's hit and miss to get a post in!

thanks for everyone's comments and great images all yes

yes I tried to post stuff last night - am not near mu compter at the moment so no prepost images - will post them later the images are 6000 pixelx if you ant to click them

First image - used Ron's vine brushes to paint in some extra ones.

Second image - Arc is from a talented person at sharecg.

For the chap on the left I added a noise modifier to distort his face.

Two grey and black carrara fires in the forgeround dirty up the foreground figures legs a wee bit.

There's a spot behind the wizard with a cone effect thing.

Embers from Ron's ember product.

I think this is The Temple of Doom - where the big spherical  rock chases Indiana Jones down the lava tube

and the scene where the open the arc of the covenant - silly buggers

awesome yes

edited January 2022

it started in 2020

then in 2021 the bubble began

then just when you thought you'd seen it all... it wasn't really there in 2022

You know you've seen it but you can never find it... it's as if it's just been erased from the timezone and placed into another dimension

That's the TimeZone Glitch

the iconic movie you thought you saw! ... but never did

figures modelled in Carrara.. used parts from Mr Sparky, the map I made in PSE with Ron's brushes and added onto a simple plane

Post edited by Stezza on

Stezza said:

it started in 2020

You know you've seen it but you can never find it... it's as if it's just been erased from the timezone and placed into another dimension

figures modelled in Carrara.. used parts from Mr Sparky, the map I made in PSE with Ron's brushes and added onto a simple plane

ha ha excellent work, love the little digs :) !

edited January 2022

"Why did it have to be snakes?"

Another Indiana Jones movie.

Another 6000 pixel image if you would like to click

Fedora from a nice chap at sharecg - have to look him up.

The dust is replicated polygons on an invisable cobe. I gave them a glow.

The cone lights are a series of spotlights at the same place with different gels and other parameters to give different cone zones

prepost

snakesprepost.jpg
    2000 x 2071 - 2M
    Post edited by Headwax on
  • Diomede said:

Yes an entry

Three guesses for which movie this is related to.  The water surface is a terrain.  I played with different reflection, refraction, and transparency settings for the water shader.  I may add some plants or similar but this is the basic shot.  Postwork with Ron's splashes available in the daz store.  I used Carara fog to get the underwater cloudy streaks around the creature.

Very well done. I love the idea of using fog to simulate muddy water.  It's something really worth remembering.

• Vyusur said:

“Fly with me”

This scene is based on the ending of the movie titled “Per aspera ad astra”.

The link to this particular scene:

The full version with subs: https://youtu.be/YDOeQldHiIY

Everything in this Carrara scene was created by me from scratch.

People are original standalone figures.

The girl is only available in as Neeya for G8F here in store.

The clothing was created specially for those custom figures.

I used procedural shaders for the female outfit.

Girl's hair is a Carrara native hair.

I also created native landscape and custom native trees.

Native render, no postwork.

Didn't know this movie, thanks for the heads up.

I admire people like you who are able to create a complete scene from scratch. 

• UnifiedBrain said:

Nampara Cove

This is not an iconic moment, but rather an iconic setting in the Poldark saga.  The shipwreck, the smuggling operation, and Ross's nude swim all happened there.

I decided not to render the swim, as I didn't want people fainting at their keyboard. :)

To some extent, Cornwall's rugged coastline is the star of the show.  Incredibly picturesque scenes.

Ross Poldark is M5.  Got to play with the facial morphs A LOT, which was fun and instructive.  In general, I've been focused on portraits lately.

The outfit is Corsair from Luthbel.  HMS Victory is the ship.  The terrain and water are all Carrara.

No postwork, mostly because Philemo's plugins have made it possible to adjust almost everything within Carrara.

Very nice scene. You could sell it as a book cover. My wife is disappointed you chose not to render the swim wink

Yes, playing with the face morphs is a lot of fun. I'm trying to set up a methodology to identify facial features and map it to the relevant morph. It's funny how this changes the way to look at  faces.

• Headwax said:

yes I tried to post stuff last night - am not near mu compter at the moment so no prepost images - will post them later the images are 6000 pixelx if you ant to click them

I think this is The Temple of Doom - where the big spherical  rock chases Indiana Jones down the lava tube

One really needs to see the full image. So many details become visible. The preview doesn't do justice to your art. 

edited January 2022

Philemo_Carrara said:

Headwax said:

One really needs to see the full image. So many details become visible. The preview doesn't do justice to your art. 

+1 - a true iconic scene to boot.

And Philemo, thanks for your Poldark comment. :)  The face morph project sounds interesting.

Post edited by UnifiedBrain on

Headwax said:

"Why did it have to be snakes?"

Another Indiana Jones movie.

Another 6000 pixel image if you would like to click

Fedora from a nice chap at sharecg - have to look him up.

The dust is replicated polygons on an invisable cobe. I gave them a glow.

The cone lights are a series of spotlights at the same place with different gels and other parameters to give different cone zones

Great scene (iconic).  Great lighting, and great tip on lighting.  The operative word here is "great." :)

edited January 2022

Stezza said:

it started in 2020

Stezza, you do fonts more creatively than anyone.  :)

UnifiedBrain said:

Stezza said:

it started in 2020

Stezza, you do fonts more creatively than anyone.  :)

thanks UB

the latest PSE22 does come in handy wink

Thank you very much @UnifiedBrain et @Philemo_Carrara for your kind comments!

I'm just rerendering the snake scene from above and discovered the dust is really noise in a glow channel !!

Gah!!

slight variation on "Why Did it have to be Snakes?"

edited January 2022

One of the classics from 1953

Calamity Jane

Used G2F with G2M western outfit a HDRI image for background and Carrara hair

Postwork in PSE22

CalamityPrePW.jpg
    800 x 600 - 277K
    Calamity.jpg
    800 x 600 - 491K
    Post edited by Stezza on

Headwax said:

Creative variation!  I think that the lighting is cooler on the first, but the snakes are creepier on the second.

Stezza said:

Calamity Jane

Postwork in PSE22

Only thing I remember about that movie is "Secret Love," which became one of her most popular songs.

Dynamic render, with lots of nice details.  Love the fringe. :)

edited January 2022

I started working on an actual iconic scene.  May have bit off more than I can chew. :)

Edit - I just realized we have until March 1st.  Plenty of time to dust off old skills or learn new ones.

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 8,334

Headwax said:

Bunyip02 said:

Adjusted the right hand of the power loader as it was reflecting light from the spotlight. Enhanced the render in PSP

great scene, really dynamic, and popping much better now. Glad I'm not Vick i :)

Thanks !

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 8,334

Headwax - Temple of Doom is my favourite of your 3, with the second snakes render close behind - lovely renders !!!

Stezza - Timezone & Jane are both great !!!

UB - keep chewin !!!

edited February 2022

The Scene That Never Was

Fans familiar with this movie know that it has two iconic scenes.  I couldn't decide which to do, so I combined them (as was often done on the original movie posters).

M3 is Roger Thornhill.  Products include the Roaring 20's gangster suit, a George Washington statue OBJ (modified) and the Daz Biplane.

Carrara native processes include Fire, Clouds, Terrain, Lens Flare, and Text.  GMIC tools helped me to do it all in Carrara.

Early on, this render started getting a Mort Kunstler vibe (his pulp magazine illustrations) so I went with it.  A mini-tribute to Mort.

The Scene That Never Was.png
    1800 x 1263 - 3M
    The Scene Carrara Setup.JPG
    1603 x 1032 - 254K

terrific work Ub, nice crop, choice of angle and the glow of the whole is impressive. Plus the way the tie is flying - all those little details.

Never heard of Mort Kunstler = certainly a good artist to learn from thanks for the heads up ! I like his lighting especially

edited February 2022

Bunyip02 said:

Headwax - Temple of Doom is my favourite of your 3, with the second snakes render close behind - lovely renders !!!

Stezza - Timezone & Jane are both great !!!

UB - keep chewin !!!

thank you @Bunyip02 :)

UnifiedBrain said:

Headwax said:

Creative variation!  I think that the lighting is cooler on the first, but the snakes are creepier on the second.

thanks Ub, if I had the time and talent I'd do a close up of the chap's face - but anything that tries to look like Hans Solo's head will always never be good enough :)

Post edited by Headwax on

Stezza said:

Calamity Jane

Postwork in PSE22

another brilliant take on the theme Stezza. I envy your use of g2, I have a lot of stuff in my runtime but always fallback on m4 - must look again at that scene size reducer so kindly made available to us.

by the way - do g2 poses work with g1, or g4 etc?