Heads up! Carrara 8.5 pro for 14 Bucks. Calling Evil et al.

Comments

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Have you guys seen Fast Grab today ? http://www.daz3d.com/march-madness-fast-grab

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125
    edited December 1969

Thanks for the notice. There are some products I didn't even know about - like the volcano. Might be time for a sacrifice.

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,964
    edited December 1969

Thanks for that , it wasn't coming up through the usual button! Appreciated!

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,038
    edited December 1969

I fastgrabbed Architools
    hope can figure them out

edited December 1969

Let me know when you do, crenellations are in :)

• JonstarkJonstark Posts: 2,738
    edited December 1969

I fastgrabbed Architools
    hope can figure them out

Architools is pretty easy and a lot of fun too, I think you'll like it (assuming you get a kick out of building houses)

edited December 1969

Jonstark said:
    I fastgrabbed Architools
    hope can figure them out

Architools is pretty easy and a lot of fun too, I think you'll like it (assuming you get a kick out of building houses)
    well you wouldn't want to use them to build human figures :lol:
    houses one of those things you never can have too many of.

• ScarecrowScarecrow Posts: 169
    edited March 2015

I grabbed mimic and the carrara skies bundle, even though I'm behind on my phone bill. Awesome sale, wish I had some more $$$, I'd be spending it...

Post edited by Scarecrow on
    edited December 1969

Hey, somebody needs to contact OTOY and tell them they need to lower the Octane for Carrara plugin by 70% for this sale... :) :)

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited December 1969

FYI Evil,
    I almost never use Genesis and still prefer 8.5... but that's me ;)

But before you get the wrong idea, the above comment refers to the time I've spent so far. But after successfully building a G2F Rosie character, I'm totally sold on how fine of a figure the Genesis 2 lineup is, so I will be glad to have G2 (well, and G1, which has multitudes of wonderful things going for it) compatibility. So I am expecting to see myself moving forward into using Genesis on a regular basis within the next couple of weeks here - especially with Jon's wonderful hair help! :)

There are so many great things going for 8.5 Pro beyond just the move to 64 bit (referring to the jump from 7.x) and Genesis support. Something that I think might be of particular interest being the addition of "Multi-Layer" in the channels of the Texture room. Behold, follow the screen shot from left to right. It shows the new Multi-Layer system and the choices it provides. I've also added some translucent arrows pointing at the fact that we have 'Opacity' sliders for each layer. Something that the screen shot does not show is that, each multi-layer element may be set to any of the shader channel choices as usual, so they may be image maps, animations, procedural functions, etc.,

That one small addition is worth the fifty bucks alone, and more! ;)

Hey Dart, I'm not refusing to upgrade to C8.5 because of Genesis or some other nonsense, although Genesis and its inherent BS means it is not a motivating factor to upgrade either.

As I've mentioned previously, there are other factors that prevent me:

1) I'm not a PC member, so these super low prices don't show for me.

2) The deal initially in this thread was that I needed to be a PC member and spend $50.00 on other BS to get the best price. If I have to spend $50.00, plus additional money for a PC membership, and the money for C8.5 (reduced though it is) it is still too much money for me to spend at the moment.

3) My existing hardware is far to outdated to run C8.5. I seem to recall that I need an Intel Mac even for the 32 bit version. So, either I buy a PC (not happening) or a modern Mac. Both are out of the question right now with my budget.

I appreciate the kind thoughts, but there's no need to worry for me. I have C7.2 Pro and it works great for me with my hardware. If I upgrade, it will be when I need to.

edited December 1969

You could of course just pick up a cheap PC too :lol:
    still use the Mac AND PC, hell if I could afford a Mac I would have one as well.
    There is actually some stuff you can only get for and run on a Mac I want but admittedly it tends to be the other way more.
    Garage band being one example I want.

edited December 1969

You could of course just pick up a cheap PC too :lol:
    still use the Mac AND PC, hell if I could afford a Mac I would have one as well.
    There is actually some stuff you can only get for and run on a Mac I want but admittedly it tends to be the other way more.
    Garage band being one example I want.

Still the same issue. By the time I spend money on a PC (and honestly, for a 3D rig it isn't gonna be "cheap") I won't have the coin for other stuff.

• 3drendero3drendero Posts: 2,024
    edited December 1969

Well, if you have a very old machine, then this cheap pc in a hdmi stick may cut it for 105$.
    It is a quad core at 1.3 ghz built on the latest 22nm fab and dirty cheap since intel has to give away chips at a loss to get any market share. Ships with win 8 bing edition, another forced to be cheap product.
    Just need an hdmi screen:

http://www.geekbuying.com/item/Beelink-Pocket-P2-Windows-TV-Stick-Dongle-Quad-Core-Intel-3735F-1-8GHz-2G-RAM-32G-ROM-Wifi-Bluetooth-Black-342701.html

edited December 1969

3drendero said:
    Well, if you have a very old machine, then this cheap pc in a hdmi stick may cut it for 105$.
    It is a quad core at 1.3 ghz built on the latest 22nm fab and dirty cheap since intel has to give away chips at a loss to get any market share. Ships with win 8 bing edition, another forced to be cheap product.

http://www.geekbuying.com/item/Beelink-Pocket-P2-Windows-TV-Stick-Dongle-Quad-Core-Intel-3735F-1-8GHz-2G-RAM-32G-ROM-Wifi-Bluetooth-Black-342701.html

My machine is old, but it's still faster than that. ;-) There's a reason it's cheap. Besides, I'm like a bad maid- I don't do windows. ;-)

edited December 1969

Don't worry evil, even you could figure out windows ,,,,, ;)

edited December 1969

head wax said:

Like I said, I'm like a bad maid. I don't do Windows. Not because of I'm afraid of Windows, but because I don't like Windows. And yes, I have used Windows. And no, there's nothing wrong with folks that like Windows.

edited December 1969

Just a small joke , sorry !

edited December 1969

head wax said:

Like I said, I'm like a bad maid. I don't do Windows. Not because of I'm afraid of Windows, but because I don't like Windows. And yes, I have used Windows. And no, there's nothing wrong with folks that like Windows.

All the best maids don't do windows. They don't do any work at all, and usually only come out once a year, around Halloween time, and wear lacy aprons and other skimpy see-through attire... :)

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,580
    edited December 1969

And no, there's nothing wrong with folks that like Windows.

On the contrary, I like Windows and there's plenty wrong with me.

edited December 1969

And no, there's nothing wrong with folks that like Windows.

On the contrary, I like Windows and there's plenty wrong with me.

heh, heh :)

edited December 1969

head wax said:

No offense taken. I should have put a smiley in my post.

edited December 1969

Maybe we need a crowdfunding site for EP to buy him a big Mac and all the sides ;-P
    seriously though he is so helpful to many folks it would be a Win (no pun intended) if he got into the new triax stuff.

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326
    edited December 1969

Absolutely, ep... I totally hear ya. Carrara 7.2 truly is a wonderful bit of kit. I just wasn't sure if you knew about the multi-layer thing.
    On that note, if you DID want that, I'm pretty sure that Fenric has a pre-Carrara 8 version of "Layer Blending Shader" (included in this Shader Power Tools for Carrara bundle, which I believe is on a 70% off sale even if you're not a PC member. I'm going to grab that up right now, even though I've already bought a few of them from Fenric's Den. No matter. I'm glad to contribute to his cause!
    Wow! There's a lot of great stuff in this sale!

Fenric-LayerBlenderSS1.jpg
    500 x 650 - 21K
    edited December 1969

Yeah! Seven killer Fenric shader tools added to my kit!
    Thanks for the deal, my friend!

edited December 1969

head wax said:

Oh it's so hard to offend people here! I might as well be nice .... Hmmph!

edited December 1969

I use a Fenric plug in multiple times a session. God bless him.

edited December 1969

head wax said:

Unless he's an Atheist. That just makes us crabby. ;-)

edited December 1969

head wax said:

Unless he's an Atheist. That just makes us crabby. ;-)

In that case, Nothingness bless him! ;)

edited December 1969

head wax said:
    head wax said:

Oh it's so hard to offend people here! I might as well be nice .... Hmmph!
    ROTFFLMFAO!!! :ahhh:

• 3drendero3drendero Posts: 2,024
    edited March 2015

3drendero said:

My machine is old, but it's still faster than that. ;-) There's a reason it's cheap. Besides, I'm like a bad maid- I don't do windows. ;-)

Well, it is a stick PC that you can install Carrara on and turn it into a Carrara stick that can be carried anywhere and fit in your pocket, without burning a hole in it with its 2W power limit. Handy if you want to run away from your maid duties and play with your stick.

Not sure what old CPU you are running, but here are some Cinebench R10 multicore results, that should be close to Carrara rendering performance:

Z3735F: 2800 points
    J1900: 6400 points (same as above, but "unlocked" to 10W and available for around 130$ as a barebone)
    Pentium DualCore E2180 2GHz: 4100 points (cheap desktop from 2008)
    Core2Quad Q6600 2,4Ghz: 9100 points (expensive desktop from 2008)

Not too bad for 100$ and you could still run a render node on your Mac for heavier render jobs in the older version, if PC/Mac render nodes can be mixed in Carrara.

At least I managed to convince myself to get one...

Post edited by 3drendero on