Heads up! Carrara 8.5 pro for 14 Bucks. Calling Evil et al.

Comments

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326
    edited December 1969

Wow. Carrara has finally been given some love in the store! Type: "Carrara" into the store search and check out what happens! Awesome!

Yeah, ep's Mac can run 8.5... he's just stubborn, is all. It's okay.

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited December 1969

Wow. Carrara has finally been given some love in the store! Type: "Carrara" into the store search and check out what happens! Awesome!

Yeah, ep's Mac can run 8.5... he's just stubborn, is all. It's okay.

Really? PPC is still supported for 32 bit?

edited December 1969

Whoa.... I could swear you told me your Mac was 64... I'm sorry, ep.

edited March 2015

Whoa.... I could swear you told me your Mac was 64... I'm sorry, ep.

My Mac is 64 bit, but it is a PPC chip instead of an Intel chip. Starting with C8.0 Pro, you had a 64 bit Carrara that would only run on an Intel Mac. The 32 bit version of Carrara could be run on an Intel chip or a PPC chip, even though the PPC chip was 64 bit. 64 bit Carrara only works on Intel.

When DAZ introduced DIM and at nearly the same time updated Studio for Genesis, there was a 32 bit and 64 bit version of those two programs. I tried to use them, but all the versions were strictly for 32 bit or 64 bit Intel chips. I couldn't even install just Genesis as I don't think it worked. When they updated Carrara C8.5, I thought I had read that it was Intel chips only, but I can't find a reference to is now, so perhaps I am mistaken, but I kind of think not.

Post edited by evilproducer on
  • MythmakerMythmaker Posts: 606
    edited December 1969

After holding my breathe waiting for sales...a bout of crazy shopping frenzy. It's all your fault! Keeping me updated and tempted!

And EP, come over to the 8.5pro side already. Genesis fans will be glad to have you!

Anyways I bought Architool, Fenric's stuff, Aniblock importer, bunch of Bonetech aniblocks, animal bundles, and MISC crafty things you think you might need...

I'm still not sure if Fenric's Pose helper tool thing will work with Genesis or is even necessary in my workflow... OR Fenric shader stuff will work with Octane.

Now that it's clearer what Inagoni Advanced Pack stuff do, going to buy it too. Afraid to go back to the store, window browsing daz store can be addicitive! So many artistic renders!

edited December 1969

Well, thanks to some extreme generosity from someone here, I was able to get C8.5 Pro and as I feared, the 32 bit is indeed for a 32 bit Intel chip- at least the installer is.

I will still probably get a chance to try it out. My folks moved in with us when they retired, and my Mom brought her Core2 Duo iMac with her, so I may install it on an external drive and use it when her system is free. I won't see the benefits of the memory handling, as all she has 2GB RAM, but I may be able to play around with some of the features I want to try such as Bullet and IES lights.

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,964
    edited December 1969

That's great news ep! Looking forward to your insights.

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125
    edited December 1969

Well, thanks to some extreme generosity from someone here, I was able to get C8.5 Pro and as I feared, the 32 bit is indeed for a 32 bit Intel chip- at least the installer is.

I will still probably get a chance to try it out. My folks moved in with us when they retired, and my Mom brought her Core2 Duo iMac with her, so I may install it on an external drive and use it when her system is free. I won't see the benefits of the memory handling, as all she has 2GB RAM, but I may be able to play around with some of the features I want to try such as Bullet and IES lights.

Amazing news! Welcome to the $h1t show! Just kidding. ;-)

I hope you get lots of chances to experiment. There are a lot of possible uses of softbody physics (ignore clothes for the moment) and such that I'm sure you will get enjoyment from. Can't wait to see what you come up with.

• JonstarkJonstark Posts: 2,738
    edited December 1969

Holy smokes! I agree with Diomede (both statements 'Can't wait to see what you will do' and 'Welcome to the $#1t show' lol)

Stoked to see the fun you'll have with the softbody (and actually with the hardbody too) bullet, among other things. :)

edited December 1969

Can't get DIM to install. Says it can't create this or that directory in the Applications folder. Do I need Studio installed to install DIM? Also, can I say to hell with DIM and install and use Genesis without DIM, the CMS and/or Daz Studio? If I have to install Studio to use Genesis, then Genesis will be a non-starter for me, as I don't want to eat up HD space on a computer that isn't mine, at least 'til I can pick up an external HD in a few weeks.

edited December 1969

I never used DIM, installed manually, seems to work ok for me.

edited December 1969

Cool, EP!!! Now I should build you a nice PC to mess around on! If you really can't stand Windows 64 bit, you'd only need to deal with it to fire up Carrara! ;)

Mythmaker said:
    ~...Anyways I bought Architool, Fenric's stuff, Aniblock importer, bunch of Bonetech aniblocks, animal bundles, and MISC crafty things you think you might need...

I'm still not sure if Fenric's Pose helper tool thing will work with Genesis or is even necessary in my workflow... OR Fenric shader stuff will work with Octane.

Now that it's clearer what Inagoni Advanced Pack stuff do, going to buy it too. Afraid to go back to the store, window browsing daz store can be addicitive! So many artistic renders!

What a Blast!!! :ahhh:
    I love it when I get the chance to just load up that cart!
  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125
    edited April 2015

Can't help you with the Mac refusal for file folders. As for DIM, you do not need to install using it. I do use DIM to install general content (such as the M4 base figure, morphs ++, and all of that), but again it is not necessary. I like that the DIM has a search function that includes "find the installed files." You'd think I would know where they are if I installed them, but alas no. Not sure if you need Studio installed or not.

Post edited by Diomede on
    edited December 1969

The installer gives me the usual vague DAZ message and the option to abort, try again or cancel. Cancel does nothing except give me another component it couldn't install because it couldn't access or create a directory in the applications folder. The Carrara installer had no problem with it. The DIM installer also won't let me select a path. I'm repairing file permissions now, so we'll see what that does.

edited December 1969

The DIM installer also won't let me select a path. I'm repairing file permissions now, so we'll see what that does.
    Sure it does!
    ApplicationPathSetting.jpg
    715 x 431 - 175K
    edited December 1969

Figured it out. I already had a DAZ 3D folder in the Applications folder. It's where my C7.2 render node lives. I changed the name to DAZ-3D, and it installed just fine.

edited December 1969

We both posted at the same time. Have you seen this reply?

edited April 2015

We both posted at the same time. Have you seen this reply?

I mean the installer that installs DIM, not DIM as an installer. I figured out how to change the installation path while I was deciding where to put the content and the DLed files.

My C7.2 Render node lived in a folder in my Applications called DAZ 3D. The DIM installer wanted to create a folder called DAZ 3D to install the DIM application into. It couldn't, because one existed. Strange that it didn't actually say that and ask for an alternate location or give me the option to install DIM into that folder. Since it has a different name, it wouldn't over-written the node.

I added a dash to my existing folder that contains the render node and changed it to, DAZ-3D. Then the DIM installer could create the DAZ 3D folder and finish the installation.

Post edited by evilproducer on
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,038
    edited December 1969

not sure about Mac but could you perhaps run the installer on her Mac putting it as you said on an external then copy over the appropriate registry etc files to your Mac? (I don't think carrara will run standalone, some stuff does)
    edited December 1969

not sure about Mac but could you perhaps run the installer on her Mac putting it as you said on an external then copy over the appropriate registry etc files to your Mac? (I don't think carrara will run standalone, some stuff does)

Heya Wendy!

I'm installing now on a smaller external HD. I will get a chance to play around with it, so no worries there. I did install it over my network to my old PPC based Mac, just in case the installer was Intel, but the Carrara application had the legacy code for the PPC like C8.1 did, but nope. It's x86 only. My computer pops up a message telling me that it is incompatible with the software.

Like I said, this is not a deal killer as I can run it on my Mom's computer. Between her iPad and iPhone, she doesn't spend much time on it, except when she has a story for the local paper to write. In those instances, she pulls an all nighter and crashes for two days afterwards- can't tell her a damned thing about taking care of herself.... But that's another rant entirely... ;-)

edited December 1969

By the way, I did fool around with the soft body physics for about twenty minutes, and I came to a couple very interesting insights regarding the Bullet physics:

One is that I know Jack and Sµ¡† about it, and Jack left town. Since Jack is gone, I will have to follow that thread about soft body physics and clothing. My little play did leave me wondering about a couple things...

Secondly, I really, really, really, want to attach a soft body sling to AoA's free Trebuchet!

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,964
    edited April 2015

ha ha good luck :)

I did a little simple experiment the other day for the cloth sim.
    I made a mesh plane hanging above a separate sphere obj.
    I triplicated it and placed all the pairs of mesh and spheres side by side.
    Then I gave each of the plane a slightly different set of physics parameters and cloth effect parameters.
    then hit play and watched all three do their stuff.
    You can learn a lot in a short space of time doing this by changing the parameters of the plane one by one.
    Eg some people will tell you that density is turned off but my experiment showed that density slider made no difference unless you turned on vertex collision.
    So it appears that a lot of the sliders need to be considered in their relationship to other parameters that are not in the same window.
    Let us know, how you go :)

Ps get a cloth and attach it on one or tow verticied then hit it with a wind force - looke like washing be hung out , amazing

Post edited by Headwax on
    edited December 1969

head wax said:
    ha ha good luck :)

I did a little simple experiment the other day for the cloth sim.
    I made a mesh plane hanging above a separate sphere obj.
    I triplicated it and placed all the pairs of mesh and spheres side by side.
    Then I gave each of the plane a slightly different set of physics parameters and cloth effect parameters.
    then hit play and watched all three do their stuff.
    You can learn a lot in a short space of time doing this by changing the parameters of the plane one by one.
    Eg some people will tell you that density is turned off but my experiment showed that density slider made no difference unless you turned on vertex collision.
    So it appears that a lot of the sliders need to be considered in their relationship to other parameters that are not in the same window.
    Let us know, how you go :)

Ps get a cloth and attach it on one or tow verticied then hit it with a wind force - looke like washing be hung out , amazing

Well, I'm intrigued by the Genesis pectoral bones. Kind of wondering if I can track a target helper with them, add a spin modifier, maybe a soft body pasty and tassle... We'll get Garstor to forget about LW and come back to us! ;-)
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,038
    edited December 1969

I make them spring bones in iClone

edited December 1969

I make them spring bones in iClone

Springs would be nice, but I can live with the Oscillate tweener for now. :coolcheese: :red:

jiggly-Genesis.gif
    360 x 480 - 1022K
    edited December 1969

Evil that animation just made my day, lol :)

• 3drendero3drendero Posts: 2,024
    edited December 1969

Almost all Carrara items are 50% off for the weekend.
    Buy for 50$ non daz artists and get 75% off daz items.

edited December 1969

Thanks PhilW!
    Just grabbed your Night & Day City kit at an unbelievably low price! I can hardly wait to put it to renders. Also, I've been kicking around some ideas on making really buy, realistic city scenes shot from afar in the sky. This kit will take a lot of the work away - buildings, some vehicles and people, shaders... very cool!

• DADA_universeDADA_universe Posts: 336
    edited December 1969

Congratulations E.P. and thanks to the generous someone....way to go!

edited December 1969

Congratulations E.P. and thanks to the generous someone....way to go!

Ditto that! :)